• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Curufinwe

mikeeb13 said:
You're playing Biohazard 4, not Resident Evil 4... heads will roll in America and Europe I assure you

Also I've got a small surprise for a couple of you tomorrow ;)

Did these people get the surprise yet?

so what's the general consensus? Wii or PS3/360? I still have the Wii version unopened and sealed, but if the Wii version is still the superior version I'm just going to open it up and start playing it. If not, I'm gonna buy it on Xbox Live....so what's the dealio familio

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:
True, but come on, no AA, 720p and with slowdown? These machines should completely destroy this game. Not even MLAA? There's no way they didn't have the bandwidth for it.

To be fair, we don't know the extent of the slowdown problem. If it's just in the once case that cvxfreak reported, can't we get over it? (I'm not sure why it would only be in that one instance, but I'll wait and let those who have the game inform us about how pervasive it is.)

Emperor Bohe said:
so what's the general consensus? Wii or PS3/360? I still have the Wii version unopened and sealed, but if the Wii version is still the superior version I'm just going to open it up and start playing it. If not, I'm gonna buy it on Xbox Live....so what's the dealio familio

So if you choose the HD version you're gonna just hold onto that sealed Wii version until its value skyrockets to 15 dollars?

hey_it's_that_dog said:
So if you choose the HD version you're gonna just hold onto that sealed Wii version until its value skyrockets to 15 dollars?

it's not sealed because I'm collecting it or anything, but I have no point in opening it if I'm just going to sell it, even if it is just for 10 dollars (I bought it for 15 dollars anyways)

regardless, I still haven't played RE4 so when I go through the game for the first time I want to do it in the most definitive way possible

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Emperor Bohe said:
it's not sealed because I'm collecting it or anything, but I have no point in opening it if I'm just going to sell it, even if it is just for 10 dollars (I bought it for 15 dollars anyways)

regardless, I still haven't played RE4 so when I go through the game for the first time I want to do it in the most definitive way possible

The most definitive way, IMO, is going to be in HD with the original controls and all the bonus content. Some people like the Wii version more because the pointer makes it easier to aim, and that can probably be more fun if you've played it before, but the game is designed around the original controls so that's what I'd call the definitive experience.

StuBurns

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
To be fair, we don't know the extent of the slowdown problem. If it's just in the once case that cvxfreak reported, can't we get over it?
I don't care about the slowdown itself really, I care that it's an indication they haven't treated the project as they should, and they're still asking $20 for it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Emperor Bohe said:
People are only upset because the HD version doesn't improve on the original as much as it should have. There's no reason it couldn't have been better, but even so, at 720p with no AA it's still easily the best version from what I've seen. The GCN and Wii versions were dithered PQ abominations.

Also, my copy shipped. :)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:
I don't care about the slowdown itself really, I care that it's an indication they haven't treated the project as they should, and they're still asking $20 for it.

This I can sympathize with. If I had bought the game multiple times before (actually, I borrowed the PS2 one from my brother, indefinitely, so I've never bought it) I'd be more upset about the price and I'd likely adjust my attitude about how much effort they are putting in accordingly. As it stands, it looks like it's good enough for me to pay 20.

alright, sounds like I'm going to get the HD version eventually. too bad there isn't a way for me to play the disc on my North American Xbox 360.

StuBurns

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
This I can sympathize with. If I had bought the game multiple times before (actually, I borrowed the PS2 one from my brother, indefinitely, so I've never bought it) I'd be more upset about the price and I'd likely adjust my attitude about how much effort they are putting in accordingly. As it stands, it looks like it's good enough for me to pay 20.
No doubt. And I am going to buy it. Both of them actually. RE4 is still one of the best games ever made, and this is essentially it in it's best form it would seem.

Curufinwe

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The most definitive way, IMO, is going to be in HD with the original controls and all the bonus content. Some people like the Wii version more because the pointer makes it easier to aim, and that can probably be more fun if you've played it before, but the game is designed around the original controls so that's what I'd call the definitive experience.

I agree with this. You lose a lot of the tension on the Wii version, and the sniper rifles kind of suck because you aim them with the left stick on the nunchuk which has way too much acceleration compared to the GC and PS2 versions.

b3b0p

Was it posted already? I missed it.

Is there any difference between the Asia and Japan version of this game? I'm gonna import it.

Aspiring

Man fuck capcom. I have asked numerous times, emailed and have got no reply to whether the 360 version is region locked. Also with the rumored DRM on PS3 I am destined to not be able to play these. What a pile of shit company. Fuck I'm angry.

Psi

Aspiring said:
Man fuck capcom. I have asked numerous times, emailed and have got no reply to whether the 360 version is region locked. Also with the rumored DRM on PS3 I am destined to not be able to play these. What a pile of shit company. Fuck I'm angry.

If the online DRM is on the PSN versions I'm not touching them with a 10 foot pole. Other than that it's RE4 day one.

Oh man I can't to purchase a capacity upgrade for an empty weapon....in HD!

Q5cD1.jpg

cvxfreak

Followed luka and LHK's advice on setting the RGB range to limited - there's a slight improvement, but I still prefer the look of the 360 CV overall.

StuBurns

Banned
Psi said:
Are the available on PSN also? If they're disc only then they wouldn't have the DRM.
The disc just installs basically the PSN things though.

They certainly could add the DRM in the West, but I don't see why they would, they've said it's not effective, and they didn't include it in SF3.

onken

hey_it's_that_dog said:
To be fair, we don't know the extent of the slowdown problem. If it's just in the once case that cvxfreak reported, can't we get over it? (I'm not sure why it would only be in that one instance, but I'll wait and let those who have the game inform us about how pervasive it is.)

Where was that section supposed to be anyway? Right before the lake monster, wasn't it? I didn't experience any slowdown there, not bad enough for me to notice anyway.

e~ though the framerate was definitely a bit lower right after the lake when looking down from the top of the cliff (before abseiling) during that dam puzzle area. Fairly minor though, there's quite a lot on screen.

Teknoman

Aspiring said:

What region are you in?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
onken said:
Where was that section supposed to be anyway? Right before the lake monster, wasn't it? I didn't experience any slowdown there, not bad enough for me to notice anyway.

e~ though the framerate was definitely a bit lower right after the lake when looking down from the top of the cliff (before abseiling) during that dam puzzle area. Fairly minor though, there's quite a lot on screen.

I don't know, you'll have to ask cvxfreak for more details. I watched a youtube earlier and during the big village horde the player lead a bunch of enemies down a narrow path and shotgunned 4 or 5 of them at once and I think I saw a hint of slowdown. I bet the original RE4 would do the same thing.

edit: just watched the video again and I might have just imagined the slowdown. looks fine to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEeUZFGLsnQ go to 4:59 to see what I'm talking about.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
StuBurns said:
The disc just installs basically the PSN things though.

They certainly could add the DRM in the West, but I don't see why they would, they've said it's not effective, and they didn't include it in SF3.
They really said the DRM is not effective?

madmook

hey_it's_that_dog said:
edit: just watched the video again and I might have just imagined the slowdown. looks fine to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEeUZFGLsnQ go to 4:59 to see what I'm talking about.
There's definite slowdown when he grenades a group of people at about 7:00. Just a minor thing, doesn't mar the overall experience, which looks great otherwise.

Still megahyped for the 20th.

Aspiring

Teknoman said:
What region are you in?

PAL. Live in Australia but have a US 360. Want them on that, but would settle for PS3. Problem is Sven over at capcom unity won't say that it does NOT have drm which is very scary.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aspiring said:
PAL. Live in Australia but have a US 360. Want them on that, but would settle for PS3. Problem is Sven over at capcom unity won't say that it does NOT have drm which is very scary.

I don't really see any purpose for putting DRM on CVX and RE4, and I doubt they'd do it because:

1. It's purely offline (except for the leaderboards, but why DRM just for leaderboards).

2. If my assumptions are right, Bionic Commando: Rearmed has autosaves. Assuming that BC:R2 has autosaves also, going offline and automatically quitting is assumed to be safe because it's saved. However, there is no autosave in RE4 and RECVX, it would be highly idiotic if a DRM that quits when disconnected is implemented in a non-autosaving game.

snap0212

ULTROS! said:
2. If my assumptions are right, Bionic Commando: Rearmed has autosaves. Assuming that BC:R2 has autosaves also, going offline and automatically quitting is assumed to be safe because it's saved. However, there is no autosave in RE4 and RECVX, it would be highly idiotic if a DRM that quits when disconnected is implemented in a non-autosaving game.
I can already see how Capcom simply didn't think about this and I can also already see Threads popping up everywhere and then how Capcom will have some kind of lazy excuse.

Curufinwe

NateDrake said:
It comes out next week and usually hits around 5am EST.

So that's 5am on the 20th?

If I hadn't had to waste a Vacation Day this month cleaning out my basement after Irene flooded it I would take the day off to get started on RE 4 HD.

ULTROS! said:
I don't really see any purpose for putting DRM on CVX and RE4, and I doubt they'd do it because:

1. It's purely offline (except for the leaderboards, but why DRM just for leaderboards).

Regarding Crapcom DRM: You have to be online to launch the game, however losing your connection during play does nothing.

def sim

Sweet, I'm looking forward to RE4. Is it being treated as a retail release with 1000/1000 achievement points or XBLA/PSN? I've already played the shit out of RE4 so I figured I'd at least get every achievement there is for this version.

Also, EDT not EST!

RedSwirl

I think they confirmed a while ago that the PSN versions wouldn't have the DRM, or is that 3rd Strike I'm thinking about?

Anyway, anybody come up with a reason yet NOT to buy the 360 version of RE4?

Aspiring said:

I can confirm 100% the jp 360 version is NTSC-J (china excluded) locked only.

on RE4 disc, there a lot of files left from the Wii. (a few from ps2 and gc too, but I never took a deeper look at those versions so I don't know.)

it's text is in jp only but if you swap some file from the pal or us wii version in this, you can get english instead.

first boot the bayo4 jp disc with you system set to fr/de/it/es/en the achivements will be in that language.

none story based achievements :
2LdCj.png
clear the game on the highest difficulty 150G
J4e20.png
get all the caps 150G
G7ISN.png
get all the costumes 100G

the rest is 50G each and story based.

KageMaru

I looked through the thread but may have missed if this was already answered. Is the RE4 port the GC/Wii or PC/PS2 version? IIRC, the GC version had additional/better lighting and effects not found in the PS2/PC version, right? Would like to know what to expect when I download this Tuesday. Thanks.

KageMaru said:
I looked through the thread but may have missed if this was already answered. Is the RE4 port the GC/Wii or PC/PS2 version? IIRC, the GC version had additional/better lighting and effects not found in the PS2/PC version, right? Would like to know what to expect when I download this Tuesday. Thanks.
the RE4 port is based on the GC/Wii version, and has the additional content that was added in the PS2 and Wii version, but it does not have move support.

yeah, it's definitely the Wii version. (without waggle support)

Pachterballs> maybe it's because they played from the bluray, I know I played the first hour from the HDD on 360 and had no such problems.

the CGs look "ok", I mean it's 480p(?) ps2 movies upscaled to 720p and blured as much as they could. (but it's not choppy at all (wmv files and xma files))

for the game, for some reason, as mentioned on the 8-4 podcast (I think) they though it would be smart to use some shitty grainy filter to had some Silent Hill 2 effect >_> (not sure if you can turn it off or not though)

aside from that the game looks pretty sharp.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
fart town usa said:
One thing though, is there any possible way to get the game menus and whatnot in english? I thought maybe it would go to the systems default language but it seems to be strictly japanese. Anyone know if there is a way around this?

Hey folks I only went back a coupla pages but I was wondering if there was any answer to this. I was thinking of importing like I did Siren.

Top Bottom