• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Carl

Hmm... Want to get this but i'm not sure. If it had Move and a proper trophy list it would have tipped me into buying it. But without either of them i don't think i can justify it with all the ther awesome games coming out soon.

Your loss, Capcom.

Curufinwe

Capcom obviously thought the marginal cost of putting in Move support would not be paid for from extra purchases, so perhaps Sony should have helped them out technically or financially as a way to promote the Move.

YoungHav

Banned
- Capcom puts out an unfinished product called Marvel vs Capcom 3 and charges $60.
- Gets caught with on disc DLC of Jill and Shuma Gorath. Ends up not supporting title.
- Announced the full game Ultimate MvC3 and ask for $40 more bucks for features that should have been in the original release.
- Has the nerve to ask for color palette money in SF3 Online Edition
- Fucks up Ps3 release of RE Revival Selection.

I am just going to buy used copies of RE4/CV for PS2. Capcom just lost out on $40.

theDeeDubs

I really want 4 in HD but I think the controls will keep me from buying it. I wish they would've added an alternate control scheme, like in RE 5, with right analog stick aiming. Will this get a trial version on 360? FPS and TPS from last gen just haven't seem to age well for me because of the controls.

Rain_ng

Banned
Can't believe how excited I am to replay Resi 4 in HD tomorrow... One of the absolute best of all time... The shitty achievements are the only thing i'm not happy about but whateves, the HD upgarde is more than enough for me.

Very Disappointing! I was looking forward to play this masterpiece again in HD :(

The MGS HD collection better be good!!

If you enjoyed it at release and haven't been back since, seriously consider the Wii version. It'll be cheaper to get hold of, the pointer controls are great, and if anything, it looks better with soft edges.

That's the killer: Resident Evil 4 HD doesn't look better than Resident Evil 4 SD. Who would have known, but scaling back clever fogging and lighting effects (as this has done in many places) and simply exposing old textures in 1080p doesn't look that good. It's a stark sight.

I haven't played this since the original PS2/GameCube (can't remember which) version but I was wondering how the aiming was going to work if it isn't on the right thumb stick.

Ridley327

craigrushforth said:
I haven't played this since the original PS2/GameCube (can't remember which) version but I was wondering how the aiming was going to work if it isn't on the right thumb stick.
You aim with the left stick, as you've always had to do?

craigrushforth said:

You use the left stick. You can't move while aiming so it doesn't cause a problem.

stealth edit - beaten like victor ortiz when he goes for an apology

Harsh review by Eurogamer. Their complaints honestly don't sound like something that's going to really bother me though. It's what I'm expecting, I'll still greatly prefer it over playing SD RE4 on my TV.

*hugs the hated PC version of RE4*

In saying that, i've just read that the PlayStation Plus deal is coming to the EU, so I will be buying it and CVX on PS3.

Davey Cakes

StuBurns said:
I consider not including game breaking controls to be definitive, and the Wii one to be a disgrace. Yes, people can choose to use them, and they could just to use cheats in games too, doesn't mean it's a worth while experience. The game is masterfully crafted for a gamepad, and should be played that way.
I am an RE4 advocate of the highest degree. I think it's the game of its respective decade.

Additionally, I don't have a PS3.

I did play the Wii version to full completion (and the GC version to partial completion--not unlocking the handcannon--back when it first came out).

Whether or not you think the Wii controls are a disgrace (even though they are one of three control options for that game), the control type exists. People have played with the pointer; some liking it, and some disliking it. RE5 for the PS3 eventually had Move support. There's no good excuse to not include the option.

To repeat, I DON'T HAVE A PS3. It just comes as common sense that Capcom should include the new control type for those who have access to it and prefer it.

I agree that the game is designed to be played with a pad, and I agree that using a pad is the definitive way to play. But I've beaten the game using both control styles and they're both satisfying in their own ways. I think it's a bit extreme to imply that RE4 isn't worthwhile with the easier control style; it's every bit as worthwhile, just in a different way.

Seems hard to imagine that control scheme now. I'm sure it'll be fine as I seemed to remember loving it back in the day.

I really hope when they release RE5 on the PSN store that it's the gold version. Probably unlikely though. Capcom seem to always slightly underdeliver.

V_Ben

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Absolute troll of the highest degree. They're happy to lavish praise upon the GOW and ICO collections, but suddenly RE4 HD is ugly?

Well, those collections were lovingly translated to HD, and their art styles worked in HD. RE4 in HD on Dolphin looks great, so they must have really buggered it up to make it "ugly"

I mean, this paragraph sort of says something;

Simply up-ressing a game and calling it 'HD' might work for some: not here. It's like looking in the mirror on an extremely sunny day, every lump and bump exposed, the ugly and brutal truth. Leon's character model, the floppy hair and the stitches on his shoulder holsters, are right in your face: and by the way, don't forget that this is a 'premium' download and you'll be paying top dollar. It's part of a pair of Resi remakes with Code Veronica, which, incidentally, looks laughable.

This isn't some lovingly done HD remaster, a-la the ones you mentioned. It's a quick cash grab, designed to make some money. I mean, look at this paragraph;

That's the killer: Resident Evil 4 HD doesn't look better than Resident Evil 4 SD. Who would have known, but scaling back clever fogging and lighting effects (as this has done in many places) and simply exposing old textures in 1080p doesn't look that good. It's a stark sight.\

So, it's like the review says. Half baked. The game deserved the bluepoint treatment, and instead we got this :/ I mean, the ready at dawn god of war remasters got expanded lighting, a locked frame rate, AA up the wazoo, and this has SCALED BACK effects? It's nonsensical.

Does anyone know how the game plays and looks compared to RE4 on the backward compatible PS3? I loved RE4, and I still play through it a couple of times about once a year. I had planned on buying RE4HD as soon as it was available, but after reading some of these posts, I'm not so sure anymore.

StuBurns

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Absolute troll of the highest degree. They're happy to lavish praise upon the GOW and ICO collections, but suddenly RE4 HD is ugly?
Ico is 1080p with MLAA, this is 720p with no AA. That's a massive difference in image quality, more than double the resolution, and AA.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's the killer: Resident Evil 4 HD doesn't look better than Resident Evil 4 SD. Who would have known, but scaling back clever fogging and lighting effects (as this has done in many places) and simply exposing old textures in 1080p doesn't look that good. It's a stark sight.\
Do we have proof of this? Are effects really scaled back?

Massa

It's a shame this doesn't look like a good port, but I can't pass on RE4 for $10. Also:

That's the killer: Resident Evil 4 HD doesn't look better than Resident Evil 4 SD.

lol Eurogamer.

V_Ben

Banned
dark10x said:
Do we have proof of this? Are effects really scaled back?

No, but you have to remember what happened with the PC version.

re46bx7.jpg

re43na8.jpg

Below is after the patch. I think the PC version was done by Ubisoft though...

DryvBy

So... I didn't bother to go read too much of the backlog on this... but the RE4 / Veronica on PS3 isn't going to have a Platinum, while the 360 will have 1000 achivement points?

Also, before anyone says these meaningless points don't matter, can it. I'm not asking your superior opinion on how gamers gotta game.

dark10x

No, but you have to remember what happened with the PC version.
Yeah, but the PC version was also based on the PS2 version while the HD version uses the Gamecube original as its base. I'm surprised to hear that some lighting is missing (such as the specular highlights on bosses).

V_Ben

Banned
dark10x said:
Yeah, but the PC version was also based on the PS2 version while the HD version uses the Gamecube original as its base. I'm surprised to hear that some lighting is missing (such as the specular highlights on bosses).

That's true, i'm just saying terrible RE4 ports have happened before :p

(Also, I bet the prerendered cutscenes have only been upscaled :/ )

Edit: You know what ready at dawn did with the god of war psp remaster cutscenes? They re-rendered them all in HD. That's dedication.

Massa

DryvBy2 said:
So... I didn't bother to go read too much of the backlog on this... but the RE4 / Veronica on PS3 isn't going to have a Platinum, while the 360 will have 1000 achivement points?

Also, before anyone says these meaningless points don't matter, can it. I'm not asking your superior opinion on how gamers gotta game.

Yep, no platinum. The trophies and achievements are exactly the same though.

DryvBy2 said:

whats this? no plats?! WTF!

SkylineRKR

God of War Collection looks stunning. Ghost of Sparta from the 2nd collection is a criminally good PSP conversion, possibly outperforming GoW2.

RE4, what I've seen of it, looks like a shitty port supposedly without AA and even with slowdown. If thats all true, EG isn't trolling at all.

Does it make the game bad? Probably not. Its still RE4 and thats a classic.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd like to hear to those imported the collection though, does RE4 look great and hold up?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Well that review is certainly discouraging. You'd think Capcom could at least show a little more port love to RE4. Boring achievements and they're removing graphical effects instead of adding them...and then asking $20 for it (for the 360, at least)? Eh, may just focus on Gears 3 and the plethora of potentially great games coming out and just pickup RE4 when it inevitably goes on sale...

Nuclear Muffin said:

it's not like every video game is the same or has the same amount of effort put in.

Tain

I think I need more confirmation on the missing effects. Specular mapping gone on some of the bosses? Why wouldn't it be missing throughout?

Curufinwe

tedtropy said:
Well that review is certainly discouraging. You'd think Capcom could at least show a little more port love to RE4. Boring achievements and they're removing graphical effects instead of adding them...and then asking $20 for it (for the 360, at least)? Eh, may just focus on Gears 3 and the plethora of potentially great games coming out and just pickup RE4 when it inevitably goes on sale...

You'll be waiting a while for the 360 version to go on sale as I don't believe any Games on Demand titles sell for less than $19.99. Maybe sign up for PS Plus and get it on PS3 for $9.99?

I'm still getting the 360 version since I have a large stack of MS Points to use.

dark10x

V_Ben said:
That's true, i'm just saying terrible RE4 ports have happened before :p

(Also, I bet the prerendered cutscenes have only been upscaled :/ )

Edit: You know what ready at dawn did with the god of war psp remaster cutscenes? They re-rendered them all in HD. That's dedication.
There aren't exactly a lot of pre-rendered scenes, though. The intro is the only one that comes to mind (though I'm sure there are a couple more).

The PS2/PC versions of the games used a LOT of pre-recorded scenes, however.

Disappointing that it'd end up being a shitty cash-in port. RE4 deserves so, so much better; it's still better than just about any game that's come out this generation.

SkylineRKR

badcrumble said:
Disappointing that it'd end up being a shitty cash-in port. RE4 deserves so, so much better; it's still better than just about any game that's come out this generation.

A game like RE4 should be Beyond good and Evil'd.

dark10x said:
There aren't exactly a lot of pre-rendered scenes, though. The intro is the only one that comes to mind (though I'm sure there are a couple more).

The PS2/PC versions of the games used a LOT of pre-recorded scenes, however.
did the Wii version of Seperate Ways use pre-rendered cutscenes? i think it did but i'm not sure. been a while. but yeah, in the main campaign, it's a very minor issue.

missing effects is a much bigger issue. will have to look very carefully at the two side by side.

i know the 720p version is going to look a crap load better than the Wii version looks on my HDTV. it mightn't look better than RE4 looked on a CRT, but i don't have a CRT anymore... and it's painful firing up RE4 on Wii and GC on my current set.

d00d3n

When do XBLA titles usually become available for download? At 00.01 the day of release? Any difference between NA and Europe in this regard?

demigod

hamchan said:
I'm sure he means it's cheating because the waggle users will have an advantage on the online mercs leaderboards. Lol Capcom

Lol, there is no online merc leaderboards. That needs to be put in the OP.

Eurogamer is trash. I don't have the RE4 JP version yet but saying that its worse than the SD version yet telling people to get the Wii version? I'm 99.1% sure that the GC SD version is better than the Wii Version using an HDTV.

kitzkozan

tedtropy said:

Capcom management is worse than ever sadly, so expect one fuck up after another. :(

Curufinwe

Top Bottom