• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Man, I really want to replay these now. I wish I had my ps3 here so I could do it, but I guess I'll have to wait until I can pick it up from home. : (

You'll just end up disappointed, if you rely on others! Believe me, I know!

Melchiah

Neuromancer said:
Just read the Eurogamer review... Ouch

Same here. This confirms I'll be getting CVX HD only (unless it's an equally bad conversion), as I wasn't that interested in RE4 in the first place, and I sure as hell won't buy another SD version of it.

Loudninja

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just finished GOW Origins a couple days ago. Ready At Dawn deserve major credit for the work they put in, though it's understandable that they felt they had to, given that the games were originally designed for a 4-inch screen or whatever.

They ported the game to run on 360 and PS3 at 720p. They didn't go above and beyond, but that's not nothing. The game is now playable on two additional platforms, and it won't look like absolute ass on an HDTV.
True I am just pretty mad right now. :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Melchiah said:
Same here. This confirms I'll be getting CVX HD only (unless it's an equally bad conversion), as I wasn't that interested in RE4 in the first place, and I sure as hell won't buy another SD version of it.

I haven't heard anything good about CVX HD yet. And this whole "RE4 HD is actually SD" nonsense needs to be nipped in the bud.

Doesn't look better than the SD version? Hard to believe. Has Eurogamer seen RE4 Wii on an HDTV? It looks attrocious. The HD version has to be better than that.

I don't want to get my expectations too high though. Double as sharp as the Wii version (which probably sounds better than it is...) and I'm fine with it.

Still definitely getting this. Having only played the PS2 version (I borrowed GCN and Wii versions before, but never played them since I had already beaten the PS2 version like 10 times), I think this will look amazing to me.

This is like the Wii version as in it has all of the extras of the PS2 one, right?

I was willing to forget about the high price.

I was willing to forget no visual enhancements (except for the HD resolution)

I was willing to forget the crappy achivements, no leaderboards or online for RE4 merc mode.

But to screw with the original graphics that badly? Holy shit.I just wanted a perfect HD port, it was already a damn low bar and they fucked it!!

No buy, Crapcom, fuck you.

Melchiah

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I haven't heard anything good about CVX HD yet. And this whole "RE4 HD is actually SD" nonsense needs to be nipped in the bud.

I thought it had improved lighting, or something like that. Anyways, I'm more lenient towards CVX, as I like the game far more than RE4, and I'm more likely to buy it than RE4 even if it isn't going to be that big of an update to the original version.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Relaxed Muscle said:
I was willing to forget about the high price.

I was willing to forget no visual enhancements (except for the HD resolution)

I was willing to forget the crappy achivements, no leaderboards or online for RE4 merc mode.

But to screw with the original graphics that badly? Holy shit.I just wanted a perfect HD port, it was already a damn low bar and they fucked it!!

No buy, Crapcom, fuck you.

They didn't screw with the original graphics. That's exactly the problem (for some people). It's now an HD game with non-HD assets, just like most HD remasters.

Basically, this reviewer is the type of person who will put the camera right up next to a texture and then complain about how bad it is (which can easily be done with current gen games as well). I tend not to listen to people like that because that's not something I do when evaluating graphics.

Melchiah said:
I thought it had improved lighting, or something like that. Anyways, I'm more lenient towards CVX, as I like the game far more than RE4, and I'm more likely to buy it than RE4 even if it isn't going to be that big of an update to the original version.

It does have improved lighting. However, in the Eurogamer review of RE4HD he calls CVXHD "laughable."

jackdoe said:
Haha. Why? If a downloadable game like DS: Extraction can have a platinum, the only reason that Capcom couldn't be bothered to do it is because they want to spend as little money as they can on the project. Granted, they shouldn't spend too much, but they are spending the absolute bare minimum.

I'm quite amused by this. No platinum = them spending the bare minimum? Is just an extra checkpoint somewhere that once you passed that activates the trophies. They probably couldn't be bothered.

Trophies are stupid anyhow

hey_it's_that_dog said:
They didn't screw with the original graphics. That's exactly the problem (for some people). It's now an HD game with non-HD assets, just like most HD remasters.

Basically, this reviewer is the type of person who will put the camera right up next to a texture and then complain about how bad it is (which can easily be done with current gen games as well). I tend not to listen to people like that because that's not something I do when evaluating graphics.

It does have improved lighting. However, in the Eurogamer review of RE4HD he calls CVXHD "laughable."

The fact is there are missing effects, that's butchering the original graphics for me, there aren't any excuses for it, the actual consoles are several times more powerful and faster.

Splinter cell Collection has improved graphics over the PS2 versions and each game is half the price, Crapcom is at fault here, not eurogamer.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Relaxed Muscle said:
The fact is there are missing effects, that's butchering the original graphics for me, there aren't any excuses for it, the actual consoles are several times more powerful and faster.

Splinter cell Collection has improved graphics over the PS2 versions and each game is half the price, Crapcom is at fault here, not eurogamer.

Even where he's talking about the scaled back effects it's evident that he's extremely hung up on the textures. I wish he included some comparison screens because I can't take his word for anything if he says the Wii version looks better because of its blurry graphics. I'm not condemning this guy for his opinion but the way he looks at graphics seems to be different from the way I do, so I'd like to see pictures. I've seen youtube footage of the game and it looks good to me, but that's only the first 10 minutes.

edit: this guy has a ton of footage. search his uploads for "resident evil 4" and you can see for yourself how it looks and whether the effects are missing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/9LivesRemaining

rvy

Banned
I'm also out after reading Eurogamer review. This had tremendous amount of potential, Capcom fucked it up.

scitek

I wish this were coming to Steam! All we need is the proper engine ported to the pc and the modding community would do the rest.

I bought the PC version, and this looks like a better port than that. I do eagerly await the digital foundry breakdown on this though.

Frankly I'm just hoping its a better representation of RE4 than my LCD tv can do or the PC version which for all its texture patches and such was severely lacking in the original atmosphere. I have my ps3 version coming from Japan,and I'm going to get the 360 versions tomorrow.

What can I say bit its my favorite game? Would I have liked more? Of course. 3d support is massive to me. But this sounds like it is going to be the best representation yet of my favorite game ever, and that is reason enough for me to bite off on it.

X360A seemed to dig it - 89/100

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9610-X360A-Review--Resident-Evil-4-HD.html

Packed to the gills with unforgettable moments, Resident Evil 4 is still every bit as enthralling as it was almost seven years ago. It's also benefitted greatly from the HD overhaul, giving the graphics a gorgeous sheen while showing just how great they were when the game first released. There are rare, insignificant instances where some of the textures don't quite measure up, but this is petty nitpicking. However, the audio seems like it could have used a little more attention, as it still sounds somewhat compressed, despite being an improvement upon the original soundtrack. The most important aspect of Resident Evil 4 is still intact however, and that's the gameplay.

jackdoe

Pachterballs said:
I'm quite amused by this. No platinum = them spending the bare minimum? Is just an extra checkpoint somewhere that once you passed that activates the trophies. They probably couldn't be bothered.

Trophies are stupid anyhow
That's pretty much what I meant. If they couldn't be bothered to do the minimal work to create even something as simple as that, then it says a lot about the overall project.

Sullichin

Any chance of RE4 going up at 12:00 EST on PSN? What time do new releases usually hit PSN?

Also, is there any not off cam gameplay footage of RE4HD?

Curufinwe

The Xtortionist said:

I was sure from the early coverage I had read that you couldn't do this, but I'm glad I was wrong.

By default, shooting is mapped to a face button like it always was, which in this day and age feels a bit wrong. Thankfully, switching the shooting mechanics to the triggers is a simple case of heading into the control settings and selecting the type-2 configuration, so the left trigger aims and the right trigger shoots

JoeFenix

Relaxed Muscle said:

Funny you mention Splinter Cell because that is one of the worst HD port job so far. Horrible framerate AND missing graphical effects.

JoeFenix said:
Funny you mention Splinter Cell because that is one of the worst HD port job so far. Horrible framerate AND missing graphical effects.

Well I hear they ported the PC games, which by default, should obliterate the PS2 games...

Anyway, we all know that are other examples of "how to" do HD collections.

Curufinwe

I loaded up RE 4 on my PS2 to check (the disc was actually still in there) and both Type I and Type II Button Configs had you shoot by pressing R1 + X.

So Capcom have actually made one nice improvement to the game by letting you aim with the left trigger and shoot with the right trigger.

Although, does that mean on the PS3 version Type II has you aim with L2 and shoot with R2? Because that would be awful. L1 and R1 are much better for that on the Dual Shock 3.

JoeFenix

Relaxed Muscle said:
Well I hear they ported the PC games, which by default, should obliterate the PS2 games...

Anyway, we all know that are other examples of "how to" do HD collections.

If your reference point for RE4 is the PS2 version than it's a 100% upgrade from that.

The only effect that is missing wasn't even in the PS2 version to begin with. This port isn't a labor of love but the knee jerk ''not gonna buy it Crapcom lolz', bandwagon is pretty hilarious.

Relaxed Muscle said:

maybe there's some weird technical reason the effects couldn't make it in? serious question, i have no programming knowledge.

JoeFenix

Smision said:
maybe there's some weird technical reason the effects couldn't make it in? serious question, i have no programming knowledge.

They could have been put in with some effort, that's part of the porting work involved.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
JoeFenix said:
If your reference point for RE4 is the PS2 version than it's a 100% upgrade from that.

The only effect that is missing wasn't even in the PS2 version to begin with. This port isn't a labor of love but the knee jerk ''not gonna buy it Crapcom lolz', bandwagon is pretty hilarious.

Are you talking about specular highlights? The Eurogamer guy claimed that fog and lighting have been "scaled back" in places. Have any idea what he means? Or is he just wishing the game was still a blurry, jaggy mess so he couldn't see the low-res textures so clearly?

JoeFenix

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Are you talking about specular highlights? The Eurogamer guy claimed that fog and lighting have been "scaled back" in places. Have any idea what he means? Or is he just wishing the game was still a blurry, jaggy mess so he couldn't see the low-res textures so clearly?

Nah, that seems to be all there.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Have there been any actual comparisons of the games or are people just going off their rose-tinted memory of how the Gamecube/Wii version (which are pretty hideous due to the awful dithering) looked?

Somewhat related:

Trying to decide on PSN+ for that discount. Does their list of 'free' games rotate, or are all previous offers still good? I've been meaning to play Stacking, and it'd be another good excuse to subscribe if it was still on the list.

RedSwirl

Sullichin said:
Any chance of RE4 going up at 12:00 EST on PSN? What time do new releases usually hit PSN?

Also, is there any not off cam gameplay footage of RE4HD?

Shit like this highlights why Steam is superior to both XBL and PSN in terms of content distribution. I just wish XBL had pre-orders and pre-loading for digital content. XBL version comes out at the same time as PSN right?

bluedeviltron said:
Somewhat related:

Trying to decide on PSN+ for that discount. Does their list of 'free' games rotate, or are all previous offers still good? I've been meaning to play Stacking, and it'd be another good excuse to subscribe if it was still on the list.

Rotates.
Anything that is no longer up as "free for PS+" you missed out on...
Example: Sign up now, get PvZ for free. You'll also get the 50% off RE4 HD and RE:CV HD and PSX RE, RE2, RE3 for free. If you sign up in October, you get none of that and it will all be something else. Anything that you missed out on by not being PS+ earlier, you missed out on; however, if you used your free month of PS+, anything you may have grabbed for free during that timeframe would become available to you again for as long as you had PS+.

--

It's kind of silly that the PSN ports don't have a platinum trophy since they scaled up the GS by 5x on the 360 versions. Oh well, I'm not super serious about trophies and will 100% RE4 HD if I can anyway. Especially worth it for 50% off.

Does anyone know if these two games will have the DRM from Satan's nutsack (BCR2, FF:DI) or if they're good to go like 3SOE?

I know its silly, but that lack of platinum really sucks. I was looking foward to using my Plus discount, but now i think i will just wait for the inevitable 360 Live sale 3 months from now. I figure with the Ico/SoTC collection on the way, i will dull the pain of missing out on my 2nd favorite game of last generation with the silky smooth and glorious port of my 1st.

corrosivefrost said:
Rotates.
Example: Sign up now, get PvZ for free. You'll also get the 50% off RE4 HD and RE:CV HD and PSX RE, RE2, RE3 for free. If you sign up in October, you get none of that and it will all be something else. Anything that you missed out on by not being PS+ earlier, you missed out on; however, if you used your free month of PS+, anything you may have grabbed for free during that timeframe would become available to you again for as long as you had PS+.
Thanks for the rundown.

demigod

corrosivefrost said:
Rotates.

RE, RE2 and RE3 for free with PS+? I'd prefer a 50% off, would hate to lose access to RE and RE2 (already bought RE3) if my sub runs out and I don't want to be stuck with PS+ for life.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Tons.

http://www.youtube.com/user/9LivesRemaining

Search his uploads for "biohazard" or "resident evil 4".

Thanks for the links!

So anyway, I've watched some of these videos on my tv. RE4hd looks significantly better than the PS2, GC, and Wii version. I can't speak to the PC version, having never played it. I do play RE4 on my b/c PS3 on a fairly regular basis. The difference is immediately noticeable. I don't know which version the Eurogamer guy was playing, because I can't possibly see why he thinks the Wii version looks better than RE4hd, unless these videos are fakes. I don't know why so many people are immediately willing to buy or not buy a game based on the opinion of a total stranger, even if said stranger works for Eurogamer.

CamHostage

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just finished GOW Origins a couple days ago. Ready At Dawn deserve major credit for the work they put in, though it's understandable that they felt they had to, given that the games were originally designed for a 4-inch screen or whatever.

As much credit as RAD gets for the God of War Origins collection (deservedly), they had a huge advantage of transitioning from the GoW Ghosts of Sparta project to an HD version of that game (and its older companion, which has been notably less well handled.) All the assets were at the ready, the team was all still the same, every subsystem had been documented and lived with for years ... compare that to even a very modern game like RE4 and you have a lot of asset and talent dispersal that need be reconstituted for the HD project version.

GoW Origins was also a calling card for a company eager to present its HD engine, so they had that much more incentive to bust ass, whereas this was just another project for whoeverthiswas at Capcom.

Apparently the Capcom port team could have done much better, but I don't know that people understand the notable challenge in porting/converting a game to HD. There's a reason why Bluepoint has done the only conversions universally praised (and why they were chosen for the ultimate pedigree, Metal Gear Solid collection.)

Top Bottom