• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Truant

Considering how many times this game has been released, the reviews should focus on the port, not the game itself. Journalists aren't sending any messages to Capcom when they're giving out 8's and 9's like it ain't no joke.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
badcrumble said:
BG&E HD looks like shit, though.

I thought it looked great. Is the problem that they didn't upgrade the models? Because most HD collections have not. GOW origins seems like its had the most work put into it, for the obvious reason that it was going from handheld to HD.

JoeFenix said:
The specular map on stuff like Ashley's belt is gone. I think the Bump maps are there but the specular made them pop.

Either way it's missing something for sure!

Was this stuff also missing from the PS2 version? That's the only one I played so I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be disappointed or won't notice.

SkylineRKR

BGE is 60fps and I thought it looked and was treated really well. Its indeed also priced accordingly. God of War 2 is another very good example but the cutscenes suck. Ya, Ghost of Sparta looks surprisingly good for a handheld port.

RE4 from what I've read seems to be more in league with PoP, sadly.

as soon as i heard "lego grass blades" i immediately went from buy to on the fence.

i've never played CVX, so i will at least get to experience it with trophies and a wee bit of smoothing here and there, but RE4 (which i got half way through a long time ago, but lost my copy) i was EXPECTING at least GoW collection quality. it's not that old of a game. a PC version was made. all they do is change the output resolution, add some AA, move the HUD around, and call it a day?

i mean that's the way most of the screens look. as others have said, this game deserves better. patch in better textures, foliage, and throw in Move controls and it would be instant ultra mega buy.

JoeFenix

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I thought it looked great. Is the problem that they didn't upgrade the models? Because most HD collections have not. GOW origins seems like its had the most work put into it, for the obvious reason that it was going from handheld to HD.

Was this stuff also missing from the PS2 version? That's the only one I played so I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be disappointed or won't notice.

If you only played the PS2 version then this will be a HUGE upgrade. PS2 version was butchered.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
JoeFenix said:
If you only played the PS2 version then this will be a HUGE upgrade. PS2 version was butchered.

Good to hear. I'm trying to maintain my excitement despite the apparent lack of love put into this port.

JoeFenix

SkylineRKR said:
BGE is 60fps and I thought it looked and was treated really well. Its indeed also priced accordingly. God of War 2 is another very good example but the cutscenes suck. Ya, Ghost of Sparta looks surprisingly good for a handheld port.

RE4 from what I've read seems to be more in league with PoP, sadly.

Nah it's nowhere near as bad as the POP port. RE4 doesn't have AA and isn't entirely perfect in terms of reproducing effects from the best version of RE4 but it's not horrible.

95% of the effects are there and it runs fine other than in one off situations with alot of alpha effects on screen. It's a much better version than the PS2 port but Capcom should have treated this better either way.

A couple better textures some AA and some Motion Blur would have made it look amazing, it's a shame really!

Ridley327

east of eastside said:
So, anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether these will follow MGS and ZOE HD remasters and get a Vita port?
Capcom will never stop in their quest to port RE4 to anything, so I'd say it's chances are pretty excellent.

JoeFenix said:

true. i remember when it released most people were like "if you don't have a gamecube..." or "you at least deserve to experience this game...".

i'm sure you already understand though that most of us wanted to get an HD version of whichever RE4 was already 'the best' version. hopefully someone will post some 4-way screenshot comparisons on gaf. ie: PS2/Wii/PC/HD

JoeFenix

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
true. i remember when it released most people were like "if you don't have a gamecube..." or "you at least deserve to experience this game...".

i'm sure you already understand though that most of us wanted to get an HD version of whichever RE4 was already 'the best' version. hopefully someone will post some 4-way screenshot comparisons on gaf. ie: PS2/Wii/PC/HD

And other than 1 missing effect that I could see from watching a playthrough of the PS3 version, this is a complete port of the GC/Wii versions.

It's not perfect but for a farmed off conversion it's actualy pretty decent. I was hoping for better but judging by Capcom's very shoddy porting standards this isn't the worst case scenario by any means.

The so called ''lego'' bushes were in every version of RE4, they just weren't updated to look nicer in HD. It's not like they were made worse then other versions or anything.

AEREC

Im still getting it but what Im hearing is a bit disheartening. RE4 is like the holiest of games...why would they treat it like this.

So many missed oppurtunities (no leaderboards, lame acheivements/trophies, no move support, sketchy framerate).

JoeFenix said:
And other than 1 missing effect that I could see from watching a playthrough of the PS3 version, this is a complete port of the GC/Wii versions.

It's not perfect but for a farmed off conversion it's actualy pretty decent. I was hoping for better but judging by Capcom's very shoddy porting standards this isn't the worst case scenario by any means.

The so called ''lego'' bushes were in every version of RE4, they just weren't updated to look nicer in HD. It's not like they were made worse then other versions or anything.

ahh, well, then i guess it really DOES boil down to it being RE4SD instead of HD. :\

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Revoking the port's HD status based on one shitty asset seems a bit unreasonable.

im not. if it's being considered a straight port of the GC/Wii version albeit with a wee bit of smoothing it can hardly be considered worthy of the title RE4:HD. i don't think that's unreasonable in the slightest.

JoeFenix

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
ahh, well, then i guess it really DOES boil down to it being RE4SD instead of HD. :\

That doesn't make any sense, it's running in native 720p. They just didn't remake the game, it's the same assets but with a sharper, clearer image quality.

Same as with God of War collection, atleast the first one (second one had fmv's remastered too I think). They didn't treat the game like it should have been treated but it's not abysmal or butchered either.

It's a pedestrian HD port of one of the best games of all time.

JoeFenix said:
That doesn't make any sense, it's running in native 720p. They just didn't remake the game, it's the same assets but with a sharper, clearer image quality.

Same as with God of War collection, atleast the first one (second one had fmv's remastered too I think). They didn't treat the game like it should have been treated but it's not abysmal or butchered either.

It's a pedestrian HD port of one of the best games of all time.

im talking about expectations of what a last gen game being released on current gen machines dawned with the HD moniker in it's title are, realistically. and from the impressions reviews and you yourself have given me it sounds like it's GC/Wii RE4 running at an HD resolution, and with AA applied. that doesn't line up with how HD ports of last gen games have been handled for the most part. im also not claiming it's butchered, simply an old version of the game running on current gen consoles.

basically i just feel like this is being marketed as something it's not based on what people think/expect of when (last gen title): HD is announced. "yesss loved that game it will take advantage of the horsepower of my new console!" and then hardly does at all.

let's be clear, im not asking for a remake, nor was i expecting one. im just not seeing the quality level being bumped up high enough over the GC/Wii versions to warrant it being released for $20 and being called RE4:HD. i think sharper textures and touching up on things that could stick out like sore thumbs could have been in order, and i don't see it. Move controls would have just been a much appreciated bonus, but i don't consider it a requirement. that's a different subject altogether anyway.

thanks for dog-piling on me though?

JoeFenix

Seriously, If it sounds like I'm defending this let me be clear that I am not. I'm just being clear on what this port actualy is.

I don't know what HD versions of last gen games you've been playing but I can't really name any that do much more than what this does honestly. None of them redo textures (maybe a tweak here or there on the newest GOW collection), SoTC and ICO seem to be treated the best out of what I've seen so far and the MGS collection looks promising but they are all using original assets with very minor tweaks.

What's your benchmark title for this sort of thing?

jackdoe

JoeFenix said:
Seriously, If it sounds like I'm defending this let me be clear that I am not. I'm just being clear on what this port actualy is.

I don't know what HD versions of last gen games you've been playing but I can't really name any that do much more than what this does honestly. None of them redo textures (maybe a tweak here or there on the newest GOW collection), SoTC and ICO seem to be treated the best out of what I've seen so far and the MGS collection looks promising but they are all using original assets with very minor tweaks.

What's your benchmark title for this sort of thing?
All those HD ports you've mentioned either run at 60 fps, have a 3D mode, or have some form of anti-aliasing along with full Trophy and Achievement support. RE4 doesn't run at 60 fps, doesn't support 3D, doesn't have any anti-aliasing, and comes with minimal Trophy support and lazy achievements.

jackdoe

quinntendopower said:
blame the lack of platinum on the 360
Haha. Why? If a downloadable game like DS: Extraction can have a platinum, the only reason that Capcom couldn't be bothered to do it is because they want to spend as little money as they can on the project. Granted, they shouldn't spend too much, but they are spending the absolute bare minimum.

JoeFenix

jackdoe said:
All those HD ports you've mentioned either run at 60 fps, have a 3D mode, or have some form of anti-aliasing along with full Trophy and Achievement support. RE4 doesn't run at 60 fps, doesn't support 3D, doesn't have any anti-aliasing, and comes with minimal Trophy support and lazy achievements.

It is barebones no doubt but it's also not an abomination or anything. People wanting a straight HD version of RE4 should be reasonably satisfied with this. There just isn't any extra love put into it.

jackdoe

JoeFenix said:
It is barebones no doubt but it's also not an abomination or anything. People wanting a straight HD version of RE4 should be reasonably satisfied with this. There just isn't any extra love put into it.
If it was priced at $10, without the need for a PS Plus account, then I feel that more people would be satisfied with it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
jackdoe said:

You're right that other ports have added some things, but 3D support is peripheral to the core experience in my view. You're right about AA, it's shoddy that they didn't do that. But as for 60fps, other than the MGS games, which we haven't seen much of yet, no game has been bumped from 30 to 60. (Unless the Tomb Raider or PoP collections were? I have no experience with those.)

Wowbagger

hey_it's_that_dog said:

BG&E HD (the PS3 version, at least) suffers from a significant amount of flickering textures in the overworld, on large structures like the factory, slaughterhouses and city. It gets worse the further away you are, with the view of the city and surrounding hillside buildings from beyond the laser fence near the lighthouse being a particularly nasty sight.

It also has minor defects like transitions from islands to ocean not rendered properly, with ugly geometry below water level, clearly not meant to be seen, visible; menu screens floating out in the ocean, visible from the starting island; and several large windows in the slaughterhouses entirely or partially missing the green glass.

jackdoe said:

yeah some of these HD ports add in stuff like this if they're unable/unwilling to give the game enough of a facelift. stuff like this would make it okay to go without them.

all im trying to say is that i expected more and defend my stance as being completely reasonable to expect more. then outline the things i expected and think should be provided at their price point. that's all. if they were to go completely all-out and give us way more than we asked for with a RE5-engine version with Move support and 3D and all kinds of stuff i would not only be impressed/happy but i'd also understand if they wanted to charge upward of $40-$50 for it instead of $20. but as it stands i don't see the value for me personally.

Mr_Zombie

Do second bonus costumes (Leon's mafia suite and Ashley's armor) show up in cut-scenes in the HD edition or did they were handled like in Wii version, ie. being replace with default costumes in cut-scenes?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Wowbagger said:
BG&E HD (the PS3 version, at least) suffers from a significant amount of flickering textures in the overworld, on large structures like the factory, slaughterhouses and city. It gets worse the further away you are, with the view of the city and surrounding hillside buildings from beyond the laser fence near the lighthouse being a particularly nasty sight.

It also has minor defects like transitions from islands to ocean not rendered properly, with ugly geometry below water level, clearly not meant to be seen, visible; menu screens floating out in the ocean, visible from the starting island; and several large windows in the slaughterhouses entirely or partially missing the green glass.

Now that you mention it I remember some glitchy flickering. Don't remember encountering any other problems.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Neuromancer said:
Just read the Eurogamer review... Ouch

Yeah, it's a bummer. The writer kind of sounds like he has an axe to grind with Capcom or that his expectations were out of wack in that he is passionately holding RE4 HD to a standard not met by the majority of HD remasters.

Although a 7/10 is still a fine score from them, I suppose. Capcom certainly could have done a lot more, there's no denying that.

It would be nice if every HD collection was as well done as the recent God of War Origins. But did you guys actually expect Capcom to re-do the assets for RE4? It's RE4 in HD, as advertised.

Loudninja

The whole point of these collections is to improved the titles not make worst.How is that even possible?I cant trust Ubisoft or Capcom so far with these collections.

revolverjgw said:
It would be nice if every HD collection was as well done as the recent God of War Origins. But did you guys actually expect Capcom to re-do the assets for RE4? It's RE4 in HD, as advertised.
Its sounds like they did nothing.

demigod

revolverjgw said:

No, but we were expecting that they'd flip the AA switch on, give psn owners platinum trophy and move support.

Guess I'll get PSN+ and buy these 2 for $10 each, screw paying Crapcom $20!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
revolverjgw said:

Just finished GOW Origins a couple days ago. Ready At Dawn deserve major credit for the work they put in, though it's understandable that they felt they had to, given that the games were originally designed for a 4-inch screen or whatever.

Loudninja said:
The whole point of these collections is to improved the titles not make worst.How is that even possible?I cant trust Ubisoft or Capcom so far with these collections.

Its sounds like they did nothing.

They ported the game to run on 360 and PS3 at 720p. They didn't go above and beyond, but that's not nothing. The game is now playable on two additional platforms, and it won't look like absolute ass on an HDTV.

Top Bottom