• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's the difference between RE4 PS2 and RE4 GC graphically and gameplay-wise?

Magnus said:
I am literally stunned at how much trophies/achievements mean to so many people. It's like it matters as much (or more?...) than the game now being in HD. Is that what excites people the most about all of these HD Remasters/Ports? The inclusion of trophies/APs? G'damn.

It can be the tipping point between "ok do I pay $20 bucks to buy the same game I already bought 1-3 times?"

Ellis Kim

Banned
Eurocult said:
I don't care about trophies or waggle controls or any of that shit...

RE4 in HD

Bring it the fuck on!
And you're a fool for it.
LeonSKennedy90 said:
It can be the tipping point between "ok do I pay $20 bucks to buy the same game I already bought 1-3 times?"
I've double dipped with the Wii version, and have no plans to purchase this w/o Move functionality. Gimped trophies don't help, either, but RECVX is tempting, 8-4 Play's warning notwithstanding.

Ever since this got announced, it became less and less appealing.

"Oh, its $20 bucks, really?"

"No 60 fps, no AA? Uh-huh"

"No online leaderboards for Mercs? There's a missed opportunity"

"No Move support? even the Wii had that shit"

"Slowdown!? In the HD fucking remake!?"

"Wow, not even a damn Platninum trophy!? God, this is half-assed!"

So its just somewhat better looking RE4, a game I have and beat several times, in a quarter full of awesome games, including Gears of War 3 coming out the same damn day.

Yeah :/

Eurocult

Ellis Kim said:
And you're a fool for it.

Not really.

Already played & finished the Wii version. Not a fan of that. Felt cheap and easy. I was really excited for it at the time and gave it an honest shot. I can, without hesitation, say I don't give a shit about motion controls in RE. Just putting my opinion out there.

Played RE4 more times than I can remember (Gamecube, PS2 mostly) & for $10 there's an HD version waiting for me in just a few days......So, I have nothing to complain about.

So excited!!

Ellis Kim

Banned
Eurocult said:
Not really.

Already played & finished the Wii version. Not a fan of that. Felt cheap and easy. I was really excited for it at the time and gave it an honest shot. I can, without hesitation, say I don't give a shit about motion controls in RE. Just putting my opinion out there.

Played RE4 more times than I can remember (Gamecube, PS2 mostly) & for $10 there's an HD version waiting for me in just a few days......So, I have nothing to complain about.

So excited!!
Fair enough.

I'm with LeonSKennedy90 on this, though :/

StuBurns

Banned
RE4 is one of the rare instances of better control being worse. The game is designed around the tension of stick aiming. It's broken by the WiiMote, it's way too fast.

Mr_Zombie

ULTROS! said:
What's the difference between RE4 PS2 and RE4 GC graphically and gameplay-wise?
Graphic-wise, just check this website: http://www.gameswelike.com/web/re/RE Comp.htm
The PS2 version has much worse lighting, have less polys overall (in the environment, on characters, enemies and items), doesn't support some graphical effects, have prerendered cut-scenes (if you're wearing bonus costumes, you still have your default ones in cut-scenes).

Gameplay-wise there were some tweaking made to the amount of ammo and money that dead enemies leave in the PS2 version. Also, in several areas (especially the first village battle) there are noticeably less enemies; PS2 version has a lower cap on the amount of enemies that can be rendered on screen.

DSN2K

StuBurns said:
RE4 is one of the rare instances of better control being worse. The game is designed around the tension of stick aiming. It's broken by the WiiMote, it's way too fast.

bit like Twin Snakes...MGS2 mechanics broke the level design and made it too easy.

Square Triangle said:
It's collecting just like anything else. In fact collecting trophies is really fun since it's a leveling system. Achievements are just..numbers. To each their own brah.

levels, as in level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 aka numbers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Eurocult said:

Not only that, but the Wiimote aiming actually renders parts of weapon balancing completely useless. RE4 had deliberate sensitivity and handling advantages with each weapon. When you can simply point and shoot, those advantages/disadvantages are removed from the game.

I played and beat RE4 on Gamecube, PS2, and Wii. 5 Starred all the Mercs in each of them, too. While the Wii version was fun, of course, it did feel like it was missing something.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wow, didn't realize they Williams Pinball'ed this game.
(bare bones trophies on ps3 vs full 1000 gs on 360)

That is weird.

snap0212

dallow_bg said:
Wow, didn't realize they Williams Pinball'ed this game.
(bare bones trophies on ps3 vs full 1000 gs on 360)

That is weird.
It's probably really due to the fact that they are forced to have 1000G but not forced to have a Platinum. Considering that this does not seem like a port they put a ridiculous amount of work into, I can believe that.

Lakitu said:
Tomorrow:

Resident Evil 4 HD
Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road
Gears of War 3

Holy shit.

and then next week and the week after that and the week after that and the week after that fuckkkkk my waallleeettttt

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Ever since this got announced, it became less and less appealing.

"Oh, its $20 bucks, really?"

"No 60 fps, no AA? Uh-huh"

"No online leaderboards for Mercs? There's a missed opportunity"

"No Move support? even the Wii had that shit"

"Slowdown!? In the HD fucking remake!?"

"Wow, not even a damn Platninum trophy!? God, this is half-assed!"

So its just somewhat better looking RE4, a game I have and beat several times, in a quarter full of awesome games, including Gears of War 3 coming out the same damn day.

Yeah :/

I wouldn't complain about the price if they at least had added AA, a decent set of trophies (for the sake of meta-gaming) and even added a 60 fps mode which I'm sure is entirely possible. Instead, we get slowdown.

Capcom's MT Framework can do a lot better, but they decided not to. Won't buy before a price cut (not a PS+ member).

randomwab

beelzebozo said:
if RE4 is serviceable and has good achievements on 360, i will buy it.

yes, i like achievements. sue me.

It's an easy 1000, but the list is pretty shit. Considering what they could have done with the achievements, it's a huge disappointment.

Lyonaz

$10 with PSN+ you say? Maybe I should just get Plus for 3 months. Gonna check what kinda discounts I can get and see if it's worth it.

Is the slowdown issues in RE4 present in both console versions, or is there a "better" platform for this re-release? (same with CV)

snap0212

Lyonaz said:
$10 with PSN+ you say? Maybe I should just get Plus for 3 months. Gonna check what kinda discounts I can get and see if it's worth it.
Well, even if you just want RE4 and CVX it's worth it.

Hitoribhoshi said:
yeah, it's definitely the Wii version. (without waggle support)

Pachterballs> maybe it's because they played from the bluray, I know I played the first hour from the HDD on 360 and had no such problems.

the CGs look "ok", I mean it's 480p(?) ps2 movies upscaled to 720p and blured as much as they could. (but it's not choppy at all (wmv files and xma files))

for the game, for some reason, as mentioned on the 8-4 podcast (I think) they though it would be smart to use some shitty grainy filter to had some Silent Hill 2 effect >_> (not sure if you can turn it off or not though)

aside from that the game looks pretty sharp.

So, the cutscenes are not in real time? They are Cgs like the PS2 version?

Oh no... That really sucks.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
randomwab said:
It's an easy 1000, but the list is pretty shit. Considering what they could have done with the achievements, it's a huge disappointment.
shame. was hoping for some creativity.

consoul

The Last One said:
So, the cutscenes are not in real time? They are Cgs like the PS2 version?

Oh no... That really sucks.
RE4's cutscenes are realtime, with the exception of those in the (formerly PS2 exclusive) Another Order mode. Everything that was realtime on Gamecube is still realtime.

The Code Veronica CGs are still CGs.

as much as i shouldnt care about trophies for one of my favorite games of all time, they do kinda suck.

they couldnt have at least done something slightly creative like "kill 5 ganados with one shotgun blast"? come on.

Curufinwe

I played Dead Space 2 all day yesterday to get it out of the way in time for RE 4 HD. It does kind of suck the Achievements are so boilerplate, but at least I can just play the game and get all of them without having to look up guides on youtube.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Urgh, the wait is killing me.

By the way, any PS+ getting this? I bought PS+ yesterday just for these (and of course, for the free games too).

consoul said:
RE4's cutscenes are realtime, with the exception of those in the (formerly PS2 exclusive) Another Order mode. Everything that was realtime on Gamecube is still realtime.

The Code Veronica CGs are still CGs.

Ahhh, that's great then. I was afraid that Leon would still be wearing his jacket on cutscenes even though he's wearing the R.P.D uniform.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have a feeling the controls are going to be shit. I haven't played since it was on PS2 and TPS controls have drastically changed since then. Did they alter the control scheme?

Curufinwe

The controls will be exactly the same as they were on the GameCube and PS2 versions. You can't shoot while moving, you can't aim with the right analog stick, and you can't quick-select guns or grenades with the D-pad.

Davey Cakes

People keep talking about the Wii version's controls only in terms of the Wiimote scheme. If you have a classic controller or GC pad you can play with the regular controls.

More options is always better, hence why the Wii version is revered. The omission of the mere option for pointer controls in the PS3 version is well worth the complaint for those folks who enjoyed the pointer-based control scheme, regardless of whether it made the game too easy or not.

People often are willing to point out when games have silly exclusions in terms of features or gameplay/controller options. It shouldn't be different here. Capcom not taking extra steps to truly make the HD RE4 experience the definitive one is a disgrace.

StuBurns

Banned
Rash said:
People often are willing to point out when games have silly exclusions in terms of features or gameplay/controller options. It shouldn't be different here. Capcom not taking extra steps to truly make the HD RE4 experience the definitive one is a disgrace.
I consider not including game breaking controls to be definitive, and the Wii one to be a disgrace. Yes, people can choose to use them, and they could just to use cheats in games too, doesn't mean it's a worth while experience. The game is masterfully crafted for a gamepad, and should be played that way.

demigod

StuBurns said:
I consider not including game breaking controls to be definitive, and the Wii one to be a disgrace. Yes, people can choose to use them, and they could just to use cheats in games too, doesn't mean it's a worth while experience. The game is masterfully crafted for a gamepad, and should be played that way.

It's not cheating and plus I had more fun with the Wiimote than the gamepad. I own every version except the shitty PC.

YoungHav

Banned
No platinum trophy on PSN? They just lost 2 sales. Every other collection has platinums and more than 12 trophies. Capcom has been pissing me off lately.

hamchan

demigod said:
It's not cheating and plus I had more fun with the Wiimote than the gamepad. I own every version except the shitty PC.
I'm sure he means it's cheating because the waggle users will have an advantage on the online mercs leaderboards. Lol Capcom

lljride

ULTROS! said:
Urgh, the wait is killing me.

By the way, any PS+ getting this? I bought PS+ yesterday just for these (and of course, for the free games too).

I was going to hold off on getting these (especially now that it's been announced there's no platinums, wtf), but $10 w/PS+ is still too good to pass up.

And welcome to the PS+ club man, peace of mind with cloud saves has been worth the price alone.

ULTROS!

lljride said:
And welcome to the PS+ club man, peace of mind with cloud saves has been worth the price alone.

Sure is handy, I just hope the cloud saves are permanent (or are they?).

Top Bottom