• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

I remember a few pages back there was some discussion about some odd visual inconsistencies with the PS3 version of Code Veronica.

How does that hold up?

Are the 360 and PS3 versions identical?

PS: Random question on PS3. My older brother is visiting, is there anyway he can sign in with -his- account on -my- PS3. Would that carry over trophies etc. and etc. and another etc.?

CamHostage said:
As much credit as RAD gets for the God of War Origins collection (deservedly), they had a huge advantage of transitioning from the GoW Ghosts of Sparta project to an HD version of that game (and its older companion, which has been notably less well handled.) All the assets were at the ready, the team was all still the same, every subsystem had been documented and lived with for years ... compare that to even a very modern game like RE4 and you have a lot of asset and talent dispersal that need be reconstituted for the HD project version.

GoW Origins was also a calling card for a company eager to present its HD engine, so they had that much more incentive to bust ass, whereas this was just another project for whoeverthiswas at Capcom.

Apparently the Capcom port team could have done much better, but I don't know that people understand the notable challenge in porting/converting a game to HD. There's a reason why Bluepoint has done the only conversions universally praised (and why they were chosen for the ultimate pedigree, Metal Gear Solid collection.)

A man of reason. I like that.

I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. I mean, I understand that these are 5-6 machines that already had constained HW in them to begin with. Expecting whoever to just dump a very tailored piece of software on them and expect to run as if it was on a $1200 PC, is just not realistic.
Could they have done a better job? I suppose, but yeah, it ain't Bluepoint. Looking at the current state of the HD Remaster catalog, there's honestly only like a handful of games (GoW, Ico) that truly are something. The rest just further illustrate that you can't just expect the shit to work and call it a day. Case in point, Splinter Cell, PoP and Tomb Raider to name a few.

Danielsan

AgentOtaku said:
A man of reason. I like that.

I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. I mean, I understand that these are 5-6 machines that already had constained HW in them to begin with. Expecting whoever to just dump a very tailored piece of software on them and expect to run as if it was on a $1200 PC, is just not realistic.
Could they have done a better job? I suppose, but yeah, it ain't Bluepoint. Looking at the current state of the HD Remaster catalog, there's honestly only like a handful of games (GoW, Ico) that truly are something. The rest just further illustrate that you can't just expect the shit to work and call it a day. Case in point, Splinter Cell, PoP and Tomb Raider to name a few.
Basically every Sony published HD remaster has a lot of work done to them, the rest are shit.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The lack of environment bump mapping gets more obvious and annoying the farther I get... but I'm like, the most anal and obsessive person out there when it comes to this game. Other than that the game seems more or less perfect. The water effects, the lighting, transparencies , geometry, sound quality - everything is as it should be.

I'm happy.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
PS: Random question on PS3. My older brother is visiting, is there anyway he can sign in with -his- account on -my- PS3. Would that carry over trophies etc. and etc. and another etc.?

Yes, he can create a new account and his trophies will sync with your system. It can take a while though.

Teknoman

As long as RE4 HD and RECVX HD look better than past releases...i'm ok. Guess i'll get this on PS3...unless there are any significant issues between the two versions.

Aspiring

OK so RE4 is showing up for me to download on the 360. Just search Games on Demand, a-z. Now anybody care to check if this thing is region free for me?

Danielsan said:
Basically every Sony published HD remaster has a lot of work done to them, the rest are shit.

kinda.

I mean, they clearly put more budgt/effort and seek out the subject matter experts.
I does suck though as I was REAAALLY looking forward to alot of these HD remasters. Especially Splinter Cell Trilogy

x Maiku x

Aspiring said:
OK so RE4 is showing up for me to download on the 360. Just search Games on Demand, a-z. Now anybody care to check if this thing is region free for me?

I'd also like to know about this. I can't check at the moment but you can check it by attempting to buy it with points, I think. It won't even take your points if it is actually region locked. The same should apply to buying it normally, but I'm not sure.

Aspiring

x Maiku x said:
I'd also like to know about this. I can't check at the moment but you can check it by attempting to buy it with points, I think. It won't even take your points if it is actually region locked.

For me its showing up as $29.95 AUD. I really dont even want to risk it. If it takes my cash or points im gonna be pissed lol.

x Maiku x

Aspiring said:
For me its showing up as $29.95 AUD. I really dont even want to risk it. If it takes my cash or points im gonna be pissed lol.

I'm going to attempt to download it later. I'll let you know what happens.

Aspiring

x Maiku x said:

May the force be with you my friend! Your are braver than me lol. I want too but am scared. But yeah let me know : )

JoeFenix said:
If your reference point for RE4 is the PS2 version than it's a 100% upgrade from that.

The only effect that is missing wasn't even in the PS2 version to begin with. This port isn't a labor of love but the knee jerk ''not gonna buy it Crapcom lolz', bandwagon is pretty hilarious.

My reference point is the GC version which I loved back then, and it's my one of my favorite games ever.

I don't think asking a 100% genuine recreation of the GC original in HD is asking to much. It was the minimum required, even more when the game doubles the price of other HD collections.

The game dosn't reach that minimum bar, so I'm not buying.

Aspiring

x Maiku x said:

OK i bit the bullet. It says this

This games region does not match this console. It wont be downloaded, and you have not been charged

Now i just want to say one thing. FUCK YOU CRAPCOM. i am NEVER EVER buying a game from your peice of shit company again and hope you fold. Fucking dickheads.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aspiring said:
Now i just want to say one thing. FUCK YOU CRAPCOM. i am NEVER EVER buying a game from your peice of shit company again and hope you fold. Fucking dickheads.

If you really want it, you can still get it on PSN...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aspiring said:
Yeah but does that have their shitty DRM? Wasnt it rumoured to?

I don't think so... We'll find out in 12 hours time anyway.

Aspiring

ULTROS! said:
I don't think so... We'll find out in 12 hours time anyway.

Well I guess its my only option. I will give you one more chance Capcom. Any shitty DRM on the PS3 version and we are done.

Probably better i get it on PS3 anyway, seeing as i have Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 as well as 5 on it. But still i wanted it now!

It's on the UK Xbox Marketplace for £14.99 or 1840 MS points.

Screw you Capcom and Microsoft, I was looking forward to this, but you've priced yourself out of a sale. No demo either.

For the record, I wouldn't have bought it for 1600 either. Maybe 1200 if the port was universally acclaimed as excellent. Will now wait for a sale/deal of the week.

ULTROS!

Dead Man Typing said:
It's on the UK Xbox Marketplace for £14.99 or 1840 MS points.

Screw you Capcom and Microsoft, I was looking forward to this, but you've priced yourself out of a sale. No demo either.

For the record, I wouldn't have bought it for 1600 either. Maybe 1200 if the port was universally acclaimed as excellent. Will now wait for a sale/deal of the week.

1840 MSP? Is that the general price for all the RE4 XBLA in each region?

ULTROS! said:
1840 MSP? Is that the general price for all the RE4 XBLA in each region?

No, unlike XBLA games Games on Demand titles' prices vary by region. So in the US it's probably $19.99 or 1600 points. It means publishers can continue to screw the good people of Australia and other regions where games are even more expensive than the UK.

x Maiku x

Aspiring said:
OK i bit the bullet. It says this

Oh, wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. Very disappointing. They definitely should have made the download region free. It sounds like it's more about the console than an actual download region lock? I usually a message like "This content is not available in your region" or it just won't download. I suppose it's a different situation for you though. Do you have a PAL 360 but a US or possibly UK gold account? I have a NTSC 360.

Slightly off topic, but does any one know if it is possible to download a games on demand title to a flash drive and move it to your hard drive? I'd guess so but I can't be too sure.

Aspiring

Dead Man Typing said:
No, unlike XBLA games Games on Demand titles' prices vary by region. So in the US it's probably $19.99 or 1600 points. It means publishers can continue to screw the good people of Australia and other regions where games are even more expensive than the UK.

It is $29.95 AUD or 1840 MS points here in Australia.

x Maiku x said:
Oh, wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. Very disappointing. They definitely should have made the download region free. It sounds like it's more about the console than an actual download block? I usually a message like "This content is not available in your region" or it just won't download. I suppose it's a different situation for you though. Do you have a PAL 360 but a US or possibly UK gold account? I have a NTSC 360.

Slightly off topic, but does any one know if it is possible to download a games on demand title to a flash drive and move it to your hard drive? I'd guess so but I can't be too sure.

I have a US NTSC machine, but an Australian PAL xbox Live account. I dont buy Games On Demand titles, this would have been a first, and its also the first time i have had any problems. Im guessing its because its region locked, and it picks up my 360 is US.

Daigoro

luka said:
The lack of environment bump mapping gets more obvious and annoying the farther I get... but I'm like, the most anal and obsessive person out there when it comes to this game. Other than that the game seems more or less perfect. The water effects, the lighting, transparencies , geometry, sound quality - everything is as it should be.

I'm happy.

are you playing it from the disc or as a download?

how is the slowdown? any other technical issues?

oh yeah, there are no demos for GOD games right? damn... going to need a lot of impressions before i take the plunge on this one.

Aspiring said:

yeah, now that I think about it, this is probably the first capcom game I saw being region locked on 360. (I own a jp system, so I guess I'm fucked to If I want to get the english version from the european marketplace)

Aspiring

Hitoribhoshi said:
yeah, now that I think about it, this is probably the first capcom game I saw being region locked on 360. (I own a jp system, so I guess I'm fucked to If I want to get the english version from the european marketplace)

I think that is why im so angry. I have a ton of Capcom games on the 360 and all are region free. Why lock these?

dark10x said:
Yeah, but the PC version was also based on the PS2 version while the HD version uses the Gamecube original as its base. I'm surprised to hear that some lighting is missing (such as the specular highlights on bosses).

It's based on the Wii version without waggle stuff. (no GC, even if it's probably close or the same)

Aspiring>not a clue... I guess I'll stick to true 1080p+AA on dolphin with the wii version.

schick85

You guys need an US IP to download games on Games on Demand. It's always been like that. No need to give Capcom the finger.

Just downloaded, already bothers me that the game is titled "resident evil 4" under the Achievements list and Game Library. Assuming it's a stylistic choice based on the cover art of the game, but it just looks sloppy.

Massa

Nemesis556 said:
Are you sure it's not XBL policy?

AFAIK it has to do with how Microsoft deals with content that is banned from certain countries; instead of making a black list to keep them from downloading the game, they create a white list of all the countries where it should be available. If yours is not on the list you're not able to download the game.

Teknoman said:
As long as RE4 HD and RECVX HD look better than past releases...i'm ok. Guess i'll get this on PS3...unless there are any significant issues between the two versions.
If I'm not mistaken, the only difference I know about is that you won't have the platinum trophy. On 360 you'll have full gamerscore (1000G) just like any other full retail game.

K' Dash

Aspiring said:
I think that is why im so angry. I have a ton of Capcom games on the 360 and all are region free. Why lock these?

Dude, make a US account an buy it, you can play it later with your default gamertag, but if you want it DO IT NOW.

schick85 said:
You guys need an US IP to download games on Games on Demand. It's always been like that. No need to give Capcom the finger.

All I want to know is if I try to download it from my french account, will it run on my jp system. (some Games on Deamand run on other systems like DeathSmiles IIX on the us marketplace which is NTSC-J+ NTSC-U)

Rlan

Does the game have any Leaderboards at all? Was wondering on that, if they originally intended it to be XBLA.

K' Dash said:
Dude, make a US account an buy it, you can play it later with your default gamertag, but if you want it DO IT NOW.
This solution won't work. Xbox Live games on demand checks your IP and it prevents you from downloading region locked content.

Curufinwe

schick85 said:

It may also be MS policy that Games on Demand titles cannot be sold for less than US $19.99. Certainly I have never seen a GoD title that cost less than that. And RE 4 HD is 3.5 GB so it could not have been an XBLA title because of their 2 GB limit.

I downloaded and played a little before work this morning. It'll take a while to get back into the left stick to aim in a TPS, but being able to shoot with RT is a great little tweak.

x Maiku x

schick85 said:

I'm pretty sure this is not true. If the disc release is region free, then the same applies to the GoD version. At least, that is what I have heard. It probably also varies by location, the region of your console and live account, too.

Abylim

When does the EU PSN update? Will this be available on the 21st, or do we have to wait till a thursday or something?

Top Bottom