• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

fishfishmonkeyhat said:
It's up for Australians.

THIRTY DOLLARS?!

..grumble... buysitanyway ..grumble..
Bought. Wish I wasn't holed up in bed feeling like something date raped my immune system though.

Shurs

Downloading on 360 as I type.

How long does it generally take to play through this game?

Buying Gears 3 on the way to work this morning, so I assume tonight will be consumed fighting off hordes with some buddies and unable to put much time into RE4.

It's pretty crazy that within the next week or so, three of the best games of last generation will see re-releases. It's pretty great, as I missed out on all three when they came out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hitoribhoshi said:
It's based on the Wii version without waggle stuff. (no GC, even if it's probably close or the same)

Aspiring>not a clue... I guess I'll stick to true 1080p+AA on dolphin with the wii version.
The problem with Dolphin is that it still cannot produce a completely polished experience. It does very well, but those typical Dolphin hitches still rear their head on even the fastest hardware (just a limitation of the current emulation). If I want to go back and relive the game, I don't really want to do so with those issues cropping up.

Shurs said:
It's pretty crazy that within the next week or so, three of the best games of last generation will see re-releases. It's pretty great, as I missed out on all three when they came out.

wut

If you haven't played any of these, put aside Gears 3 (which is just a re-skin of 2) until you have.

dark10x said:
The problem with Dolphin is that it still cannot produce a completely polished experience. It does very well, but those typical Dolphin hitches still rear their head on even the fastest hardware (just a limitation of the current emulation). If I want to go back and relive the game, I don't really want to do so with those issues cropping up.

fair enough.

Shurs

I NEED SCISSORS said:
wut

If you haven't played any of these, put aside Gears 3 (which is just a re-skin of 2) until you have.

Gears 3 will strictly be social gaming (Horde Mode) for me, and as such, part of the excitement of playing it is trying it out with friends while it's still shiny and new.

Ico/SOTC will get my full attention when they're released.

dark10x said:

Same with me.

PooBone

I really loved RE1 and 2. 0 was okay. I didn't like RE3, 4, or 5. They started throwing out atmosphere, tension, and scares for action.
Code Veronica is literally the only console RE I never played. Do you think I would like it?

PooBone

legacyzero said:
Wait... You cant use Microsoft Points for a Games on Demand purchase? What the fuck is this shit?!

Yeah you can, when you're about to purchase you hit X I think. At the bottom of the screen it says "Buy with Microsoft Points"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
PooBone said:
I really loved RE1 and 2. 0 was okay. I didn't like RE3, 4, or 5. They started throwing out atmosphere, tension, and scares for action.
Code Veronica is literally the only console RE I never played. Do you think I would like it?

They say CVX is like 2 but longer (9 hours to complete at the most), and it has a crazy story. So if you're good with 0 and 2, then you're good with this.

hamchan said:
Thank god we can just make US PSN accounts.

Myansie said:
I just had a look on PSN and couldn't find it. Your talking 360 I take it?

Yes, I should have said 360, sorry.

legacyzero said:
Wait... You cant use Microsoft Points for a Games on Demand purchase? What the fuck is this shit?!

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't put some points on to my account yesterday like I was planning to.

rvy

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Are you going to read any other reviews or is one enough to decide for you?
It's enough. I don't trust most websites. I can't help but laugh my ass off when I see people scoring this shit port in the 9/10s and so forth. Sure, RE4 by itself is worthy of those scores, but this port isn't.

PooBone said:

Yeah definetly you will enjoy it, it's classic RE style gameplay.Definetly not my fav, but other people like it, I don't know how it holds this version, although the new lightning engine made the whole atmosphere a lot better for the gameplay videos I saw.

legacyzero

Banned
PooBone said:
Yeah you can, when you're about to purchase you hit X I think. At the bottom of the screen it says "Buy with Microsoft Points"

randomwab said:
Yeah you can. Should be an option to press X to pay with points.

Phew. Thanks for pointing that out. DLing now.

So just to make sure, they didn't turn this into a dual-analog game, right?

I mean, when I've beaten the game 10 times on the PS2, it would feel extremely awkward all of a sudden aiming with my right thumb.

Did dolphin fix the forced scaling issue with widescreen resolutions on the Wii version? Last I tried it in dolphin you couldn't get it to do native anything due to the scale the engine did on the letterboxed image to make it full screen.

LuchaShaq said:
20$ and no demo?

10$ if I enjoyed the demo.

An upressed rom dump is never worth more than 5-10$
Rom dump? What the hell are you talking about? This isn't a rom dump in any way shape or form. They had to port their wii/gamecube code to ps3 and 360 and that goes way beyond a 'rom dump'.

sajj316

Scaling back the environmental effects + simple up res of and SD game + frame rate issues + 720p w/o AA ... is just inexcusable. Considering the gems we've gotten with ICO and GOW collections, only Sony cares about HD remasters.

sajj316 said:
Scaling back the environmental effects + simple up res of and SD game + frame rate issues + 720p w/o AA ... is just inexcusable. Considering the gems we've gotten with ICO and GOW collections, only Sony cares about HD remasters.
I think you have to credit crytek too even if crysis 1 isn't technically an SD to HD remaster.

sajj316 said:

Isn't Goldeneye Reloaded 1080p + 60 FPS + additions to the actual gameplay?

If Activision can do it, Capcom should be able to at least do 1080p and AT LEAST a constant, steady 30+ FPS.

sajj316 said:

I really can't wait to see a proper comparision to find out just what exactly are these effects/how much they're scaled back.

K' Dash

Solid warrior said:
This solution won't work. Xbox Live games on demand checks your IP and it prevents you from downloading region locked content.

Not true, I'm not from US and I recently bought Gears 2, and I bought RE4 this morning after I woke up.

The Mana Legend said:

If Activision can do it, Capcom should be able to at least do 1080p and AT LEAST a constant, steady 30+ FPS.
I admit I am defending it, but only from the perspective of this is the best version of RE4 we've been given.

I am disappointed that more wasn't done to polish up this landmark game, and while I wouldn't label this definitive, I think you have to acknowledge that it's the best.

Maybe it'll get the proper treatment someday, but until that day if you want to replay RE4 then this is how to do it.

RedSwirl

The Mana Legend said:

From what I understand that's basically an entirely new game. They couldn't get the rights to the GoldenEye 64 source code so they've just been making new games and calling them GoldenEye.

What you SHOULD be comparing that too is the XBLA version of Perfect Dark, which does run in 1080p at 60fps. Thing is, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark are N64 games, so it's probably a lot easier to get those looking and running a lot better on current hardware. Anything after that though and current gen hardware seems to have a problem affording 1080p and 60fps.

Out of all these remasters I think the Metal Gear Solid ones are the only ones that definitively run at 1080p and 60fps (maybe God of War?). The others have to either go down to 720p, 30fps, no aa, or all three. Look at current gen games: the only major shooter that runs at 60fps - Call of Duty, is only able to do so because it runs at sub-720p. I think we just need to accept that current gen consoles aren't really HD consoles yet.

Also, it would really be more accurate to say that only Bluepoint games really cares about doing these HD remasters right. Mostly they've just done Sony stuff, but they're also in charge of the MGS2 and 3 ports and those are turning out excellent.

RedSwirl said:
From what I understand that's basically an entirely new game. They couldn't get the rights to the GoldenEye 64 source code so they've just been making new games and calling them GoldenEye.

I know that. It's an HD port of the Wii Goldeneye.

The Mana Legend said:

To be fair, that's a full-price retail release, not a download-only job.

Just launching it now. Opening movie is upscaled as expected. Soon as it goes into the car its in HD. Aliasing is obvious but it's still the best the game has looked.

lemmykoopa

So i'm located in Europe and I don't want to wait until tomorrow for PSN to update so I would like to buy RE4 of the USA PSN. Will this work? I already have a USA PSN account.

DryvBy

ThingontheFloor said:
Just downloaded, already bothers me that the game is titled "resident evil 4" under the Achievements list and Game Library. Assuming it's a stylistic choice based on the cover art of the game, but it just looks sloppy.

Ugh. That's going to bother me too. Just like the ALL CAP titles in games.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DryvBy2 said:

Which is especially strange since Capcom games have a tendency to be all CAPS, but this one isn't.

AgentOtaku said:
GIVE US MOAR!
Not much else to say yet. Text looks crappy in game, though okay elsewhere. Just reached the village. Its got the atmosphere of the wii/gc versions so far. Haven't really got to any of the bits with lots of embm yet.

All CAPS or all lower case is nothing.

It was eventually patched, but Infinite Undiscovery used to be like...

I N F I N I T E U N D I S C O V E R Y (with the spaces in between each capitalized letter)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Mana Legend said:
All CAPS or all lower case is nothing.

It was eventually patched, but Infinite Undiscovery used to be like...

I N F I N I T E U N D I S C O V E R Y (with the spaces in between each capitalized letter)

Ew.

AkuMifune

Banned
DryvBy2 said:

You mean like SUPER STREETFIGHTER IV and VANQUISH? Yeah, annoying.

Just one or two more positive comments to push me over the edge. I'm ignoring the negative ones, so it's just a matter of time. How can I resist you RE4? You're like that late night booty call from a drunken ex-girlfriend. I complain about you 23 hours of the day, but come 2am you're my sweet love again.

AEREC

Played for about 10 minutes this morning and the game seemed fine and actually looked good...I was expecting it to look really crapish based on the Eurogamer review (I did not notice any lego grass). But maybe stuff takes a turn for the worst later in the game.

My only other gripe is that aiming feels little odd, But that could due to how smooth it is in today's games...when in fact it probably feels the same as it did on the GCN.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
DryvBy2 said:

At least it isn't "4 resident evil". :p

re4logo1.jpg

Top Bottom