• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

cvxfreak

BIO HAZARD
BIOHAZARD 2
BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE
BIOHAZARD -CODE: VERONICA-
biohazard
biohazard 0
biohazard 4
BIOHAZARD 5
BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
cvxfreak said:
BIO HAZARD
BIOHAZARD 2
BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE
biohazard
biohazard 0
biohazard 4
BIOHAZARD 5
BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS

I wonder why they never did a "Biohazard"...

AkuMifune

Banned
cvxfreak said:
BIO HAZARD
BIOHAZARD 2
BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE
biohazard
biohazard 0
biohazard 4
BIOHAZARD 5
BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS

Is one of these the REmake? The first one maybe? Cause, yeah, list needs more REmake.

Otherwise I'm cool with it, though CV would fit between 4 & 5 for me. It really doesn't hold up at all.

KageMaru

bluedeviltron said:
Decided to bite on the 360 version after all. It looks and plays great.

The Eurogamer review can safely be ignored.

I only have experience with the PS2 and PC version. Have you played the GC/Wii versions, and if so, how does it compare?

I purchased the 360 version this morning and set it to download while I'm at work, can't wait to get home and try it out..

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
AkuMifune said:
Is one of these the REmake? The first one maybe? Cause, yeah, list needs more REmake.

Otherwise I'm cool with it, though CV would fit between 4 & 5 for me. It really doesn't hold up at all.

biohazard = REmake.

Koyuga

Actually I kind of prefer when the titles were written in lower-case letters. Its a reall silly detail to care about though!

Maybe I'll get this today, if events are favorible. If not then definitely next month. I've been craving some RE4 lately but didn't feel like stomaching the amazing Wii version on my HDTV.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
plagiarize said:
After the us version of RE5 was censored I thought it was worth confirming it to people.

Well no version of RE5 had beheadings, so there wasn't really a censored vs uncensored version there.

But it doesn't matter. I'm grateful you're posting impressions.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
KPunk said:
i want picture comparisons :(

Hopefully someone with a capture card can do a scene by scene at some point. A lot of people distrusted Capcom's own comparison shots, so it'd be nice to see them from an unbiased party.

Koyuga

rvy said:
Ugh... I don't think you do.
After seeing the recent trend of HD ports of last gen games, I think I've learned to accept that just by the nature of the product the games aren't going to look quite as "atmospheric" as before. (see: MGS HD, SOTC).
Just as long as the geometry is from the Gamcube version and all the lighting effects are there (I've heard rumors that some effects are missing but I've yet to see for myself) I will be satisfied.

KPunk said:
i want picture comparisons :(
the best i can do is this...

rj2kop.jpg

svgdvk.jpg

dont read anything into the colour differences.

FrankT

bluedeviltron said:
Decided to bite on the 360 version after all. It looks and plays great.

The Eurogamer review can safely be ignored.

It is playing surprisingly well and it's not that terrible on the eyes. It could certainly be better though imo. Game is excellant so far.

Koyuga

I'm assuming the top is the wii version?
That looks ...surprisingly good. Then again, next to the half assed widescreen mode on the Wii/PS2 ports...

I like it.

KPunk

Koyuga said:
I'm assuming the top is the wii version?
That looks ...surprisingly good. Then again, next to the half assed widescreen mode on the Wii/PS2 ports...

I like it.

yeah i agree, a fairly big difference. thanks plagiarize for posting pictures...hopefully more come up soon.

Magnus

So wait, I was assuming it'd show up late in the afternoon on the ps3, and tomorrow on the 360. (north America here)

They're both up now already?

Koyuga

You know, despite the aliasing in those two screenshots, the game still looks pretty damn good. I know I'm biased as hell since this is one of my favorite games ever, but... I think this game really aged a lot better than most of that era.

those dolphin screens still have that annoying in engine fixed scale as far as i can see. makes everything look overly soft. obviously you have the misaligned lighting layer in the dolphin version also.

what it SHOULD look like is better than either the dolphin version or the RE4 HD version. it should have improved textures and lighting. and models.

i do wish that they could have at least anti aliased the laser sight, because the aliasing is so obvious on that, and you use it all the time.

i had to stop playing though. i'm only at home cause i feel like crap and it was starting to give me vertigo. nothing do to the port though, just lots of motion is doing that to me right now.

rvy

Banned
plagiarize said:
those dolphin screens still have that annoying in engine fixed scale as far as i can see. makes everything look overly soft. obviously you have the misaligned lighting layer in the dolphin version also.

what it SHOULD look like is better than either the dolphin version or the RE4 HD version. it should have improved textures and lighting.

i do wish that they could have at least anti aliased the laser sight, because the aliasing is so obvious on that, and you use it all the time.
Not my screens, just used them for argument's sake.
And yes, it should look better than the Dolphin screens, but the Dolphin screens look better than the actual game. That's even worse.

Koyuga said:
You know, despite the aliasing in those two screenshots, the game still looks pretty damn good. I know I'm biased as hell since this is one of my favorite games ever, but... I think this game really aged a lot better than most of that era.
Because it is one of my favorite games of all times, this port pisses me off. Be it the quality of it, the shitty Achievement List or the lack of features that they could have added. I wouldn't care so much if I didn't like the game.

DryvBy

ULTROS! said:
At least it isn't "4 resident evil". :p

http://playstationuk.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/re4logo1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Capcom is drinking some coffee right now, thinking about patching the game to show "4 rESIDENT eVIL" right now.

plagiarize said:
the best i can do is this...

http://i52.tinypic.com/rj2kop.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/svgdvk.jpg[IMG]

dont read anything into the colour differences.[/QUOTE]
I think those pics just sold me on this game. For the third time.

Koyuga

rvy said:
And yes, it should look better than the Dolphin screens, but the Dolphin screens look better than the actual game. That's even worse.

Because it is one of my favorite games of all times, this port pisses me off. Be it the quality of it, the shitty Achievement List or the lack of features that they could have added. I wouldn't care so much if I didn't like the game.
You've got a fair point. The game certainly deserves better. The PS2 and PC ports kind of already crushed my expectations way back then.

rvy said:

oh, i don't disagree... but i do prefer this to the dolphin version personally for a handful of reasons. based on what little i got to play anyway.

it's nice seeing the game in what seems to be native 720p for the first time. i've always hated that the wii version refuses to do native widescreen resolutions even in dolphin. i think we all know how good it could have looked, but again we have some kind of compromise just like with the PC version and just like with the Wii version.

that said, this will be my go to version for the foreseeable. i hope some day it gets proper treatment. maybe next gen.

AndyMoogle said:
I think those pics just sold me on this game. For the third time.
only the third? :)

this was my fifth.

obviously LCDTVs make the difference palpable. if you have a good CRT the gap won't be as big, but that's sadly what Wii and Cube games look like on my current TV, and it pains me to play RE4 that way.

if that's what RE4 looks like on your TV too, then yeah, grab this version.

edit... did I say fifth? oops. meant sixth. forgot the PC version.

Koyuga

plagiarize said:
oh, i don't disagree... but i do prefer this to the dolphin version personally for a handful of reasons. based on what little i got to play anyway.

it's nice seeing the game in what seems to be native 720p for the first time. i've always hated that the wii version refuses to do native widescreen resolutions even in dolphin. i think we all know how good it could have looked, but again we have some kind of compromise just like with the PC version and just like with the Wii version.

that said, this will be my go to version for the foreseeable. i hope some day it gets proper treatment. maybe next gen.
A Wii U release would certainly be nice >_>
Feels doubtful. But who knows.

plagiarize said:
my ps3 version just arrived from Japan... wish my head wasn't spinning.

Sorry to hear your not feeling well, have we confirmed there is no English text option for the JP release?
I am still SO pissed the US is digital only...

ULTROS! said:
Tis my favorite, someone adopt him please.

Also Ashley for the lulz

Done, thanks!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's completely nonsensical to say something like the SD version looks better than the HD version. On an HDTV, RE Wii looks like serrated ass. It is awful.

TheBanditKing said:
Sorry to hear your not feeling well, have we confirmed there is no English text option for the JP release?
I am still SO pissed the US is digital only...
will let you know once my PS3 updates it's firmware and i get it installed. not sure if it's been confirmed elsewhere, but i know these games well enough for it not to be an issue for me personally. i just wanted a boxed copy even if i end up playing it on the 360.

Y2Kev said:
It's completely nonsensical to say something like the SD version looks better than the HD version. On an HDTV, RE Wii looks like serrated ass. It is awful.
yep. it's so painful going back to Cube games. i wish my old HDTV which displayed them just fine hadn't been one of those Sony 3LCD sets that turned everything yellow after a few years, cause then i'd still have it around.

i'm seriously considering trying to get a decent sized CRT. just not sure where to put it.

plagiarize said:
will let you know once my PS3 updates it's firmware and i get it installed. not sure if it's been confirmed elsewhere, but i know these games well enough for it not to be an issue for me personally. i just wanted a boxed copy even if i end up playing it on the 360.
I would appreciate that, so thanks in advance. Yeah I am debating buying it just to have a disc copy but I don't usually buy games that I can't read. Ugh stupid Capcom...

plagiarize said:
yep. it's so painful going back to Cube games. i wish my old HDTV which displayed them just fine hadn't been one of those Sony 3LCD sets that turned everything yellow after a few years, cause then i'd still have it around.

i'm seriously considering trying to get a decent sized CRT. just not sure where to put it.

Yup its why I keep the 26' Toshiba around old games(and Wii) look like crap on my 40' Sharp LCD.

Top Bottom