• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

scitek

rvy said:
What it looks like:
RE4HD4.jpg.jpg

I made this cap this morning with Dolphin.

Dreamer RD

GuardianE said:
The answer to your question was on this very page.

Thanks. Great to hear. When PSN will be updated? Cant wait to buy.

Also, any differences from Wii version? Heard there will be more bonus content. Or is it just a rumor?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dreamer RD said:
Thanks. Great to hear. When PSN will be updated? Cant wait to buy.

Check the store 5pm onwards.

TheBanditKing said:
I would appreciate that, so thanks in advance. Yeah I am debating buying it just to have a disc copy but I don't usually buy games that I can't read. Ugh stupid Capcom...

Yup its why I keep the 26' Toshiba around old games(and Wii) look like crap on my 40' Sharp LCD.
the install is going reallllllly slow. so it'll be a bit.

Scitek, that comparison is pretty good, and to be honest, they don't look too far apart in it.

taking it without AA really shows off the wacky scaling the Wii version does. 1080p is actually 810p scaled up to 1080p when you run it in Dolphin. that's still better than 720p scaled to 1080p, but it better illustrates that the *resolution* difference isn't nearly as big as you'd expect.

lack of AA is the real killer. i'd probably choose AA over EMBM. shame we got neither though.

scitek

plagiarize said:
the install is going reallllllly slow. so it'll be a bit.

Scitek, that comparison is pretty good, and to be honest, they don't look too far apart in it.

taking it without AA really shows off the wacky scaling the Wii version does. 1080p is actually 810p scaled up to 1080p when you run it in Dolphin. that's still better than 720p scaled to 1080p, but it better illustrates that the *resolution* difference isn't nearly as big as you'd expect.

Didn't they just crop the screen in the "widescreen" version of the Wii edition?

Started downloading around 5:50 this morning (I always get up early, so I didn't get up just to download the game), and it is noon...

...And the game is 50% downloaded. Fuck my college's internet. My college was just named the 15h best college in the North by some big US magazine or something. Whoever ranked us 15th obviously didn't use our internet.

Having played about 10 minutes, it doesn't look offensive at all. It's quick and dirty but the aliasing is not bad. Things like blobs of leaves can't really be helped...the game had a lot of tricks to make it look better on a lower res SDTV. I have a feeling it'll still be the best version. I can imagine they were debating texture upgrades and such, but I think if they did that, it wouldn't be a $20 version, but instead, a $40 HD "remake." And honestly, the less Capcom messes with this game, the better.

also, I don't know if the difficulty got bumped, but all the ganados you can usually run past in the beginning managed to time their axe hits perfectly on me :eek:

Smision said:
Having played about 10 minutes, it doesn't look offensive at all. It's quick and dirty but the aliasing and such is not that bad. I have a feeling it'll still be the best version. I can imagine they were debating texture upgrades and such, but I think if they did that, it wouldn't be a $20 version, but instead, a $40 HD "remake." And honestly, the less Capcom messes with this game, the better.

also, I don't know if the difficulty got bumped, but all the ganados you can usually run past in the beginning managed to time their axe hits perfectly on me :eek:
IIRC, the PS2 got slightly dumbed down vs the GC version.

scitek said:
Didn't they just crop the screen in the "widescreen" version of the Wii edition?
what the wii version does, as i understand it, is it runs the game letterboxed at whatever vertical resolution you're set to and then it stretches that letterboxed image to fill the screen. certainly when i compare the Wii and Cube versions on my TV (with my TV doing the scaling in the case of the cube version) both are equally aliased with the same number of steps.

also, in the past, i've done comparisons of the game running at various 4:3 resolutions and 16:9 resolutions on dolphin. if you take a screen of the game running at 1280 x 720p, compared to a screen taken at 1280x 960 with the borders cropped out, you'll see the 1280 x 960 screen looks much sharper.

if you then take a screen running at 960 x 720, and crop out the borders, then compare an aliased edge to your original 1280 x 720 screen you'll see they're identical.

presuming my memory is holding up just fine. i did comparisons in the Dolphin thread a million years ago to prove this though. from the size of the stepping in scitek's screen it sure looks to still be the case.

AlphaTwo00 said:
IIRC, the PS2 got slightly dumbed down vs the GC version.

that would explain it. After playing the GC version, I think I only played the PS2 and PC versions after. Didn't really get into the Wii version.

snap0212

Has the file size been mentioned anywhere already? I remember hearing something about the Japanese version being more than 3GB to install but do we know how big the download (on PS3) will be?

Rikkun

Just arrived at
the merchant

Graphically it's quite nice, the aliasing is not that bad on my 32" HDTV.

Too bad you can't aim with the right stick...

And obviously, I got beheaded like the first time.

snap0212 said:
Has the file size been mentioned anywhere already? I remember hearing something about the Japanese version being more than 3GB to install but do we know how big the download (on PS3) will be?
the PS3 install is 3332 MB off the disk. i know this cause i'm watching it install right now :)

Rikkun said:
Just arrived at
the merchant

Graphically it's quite nice, the aliasing is not that bad on my 32" HDTV.

Too bad you can't aim with the right stick...

And obviously, I got beheaded like the first time.

Good joke.

snap0212 said:

almost 4gb for the 360.

If anyone knows of a way I can split myself into two people and play+experience GOW3 and this at the same time, lemme know thx. i'm seriously conflicted right now :p Makes sense though-- RE4 had a big influence on the Gears series.

scitek

plagiarize said:
what the wii version does, as i understand it, is it runs the game letterboxed at whatever vertical resolution you're set to and then it stretches that letterboxed image to fill the screen. certainly when i compare the Wii and Cube versions on my TV both are equally aliased with the same number of steps.

also, in the past, i've done comparisons of the game running at various 4:3 resolutions and 16:9 resolutions on dolphin. if you take a screen of the game running at 1280 x 720p, compared to a screen taken at 1280x 960 with the borders cropped out, you'll see the 1280 x 960 screen looks much sharper.

if you then take a screen running at 960 x 720, and crop out the borders, then compare an aliased edge to your original 1280 x 720 screen you'll see they're identical.

presuming my memory is holding up just fine. i did comparisons in the Dolphin thread a million years ago to prove this though. from the size of the stepping in scitek's screen it sure looks to still be the case.

Yeah, it's basically like running the game in 4:3 mode and then hitting the "Zoom" button on an HDTV. The screen I took there was with it running at 3x internal resolution. I don't know if that would make any difference scaling-wise.

snap0212 said:

The one on 360 is 3.59 gigs. Not sure if the PS3 one is any different.

def sim

So I'll be picking this up after my initial GoW3 run with my buddies. Depending on how much poop socking we do tonight, I may buy this as soon as tomorrow. :D :D :D

Just played it a couple of minutes and it's save to say you can ignore the Eurogamer review. It's acutually a great port. The graphics are crips and sharp.

Only thing I miss si the option to increase the sensitivity of the analog stick. Aiming is pretty slow. Slower than I remember it at least.

snap0212

Capcom just confirmed that the German version of Resident Evil 4 will be censored again. It won't have the Mercenaries mode. Glad I'm buying the US version tonight.

JP version has legalese all in japanese. menus are in english. it asks me a question in japanese when i go to start an actual game... opening video is subtitles in japanese. in game menus in japanese.

so, yeah, no language changes for playing it on a US PS3. perfectly playable if you know the game though.

CVX, what's that question right when i start the game? it's not a yes / no answer.

ILHASS

X360 version, EU, no doubt this is GC version, i have GC and beat the game around 20 times since 2005. all textures, all effects the same, and i must say, this is a best version of RE4.

img5148c.jpg

img5154r.jpg

img5156c.jpg

img5157z.jpg

img5158mx.jpg

img5159g.jpg

img5160d.jpg

img5162ug.jpg

img5163py.jpg

img5164n.jpg

Just finished the village opening. Died once. :-D
I'm still struggling with the 360 controls. The Cube controls are in my blood. Always want to shoot with A and run with X. ;-)

Buy this shit guys. The port is decent enough. Greatest game of all times god damnit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
JP version has legalese all in japanese. menus are in english. it asks me a question in japanese when i go to start an actual game... opening video is subtitles in japanese. in game menus in japanese.

so, yeah, no language changes for playing it on a US PS3. perfectly playable if you know the game though.

CVX, what's that question right when i start the game? it's not a yes / no answer.
I tried this on a friend's PS3 recently and I do recall the game asking to create new saved data at the beginning. I can't recall if there is anything else. If you have a screen of it, that would be helpful (unless CVX has the answer off hand).

dark10x said:
I tried this on a friend's PS3 recently and I do recall the game asking to create new saved data at the beginning. I can't recall if there is anything else. If you have a screen of it, that would be helpful (unless CVX has the answer off hand).
right when i fired it up, i got yes / no which i presumed was for save data. i got into the menus, and then when launching new game, after choosing difficulty it asked me another question. will get a picture, presuming it asks again.

plagiarize said:

Thanks for the info!

Aww, screw you Capcom. Its like Capcom and Namco hold quarterly contests to see who can piss off, divide, or ignore their fans the most without going out of business. I never understood why they don't just include English (would be easy for this) and let those who want the disc copy pay to import it, they get the money either way...

K' Dash

Smision said:
so, final conclusion: they could have put in more effort, but this game is totally fine. I'm just glad to have a version of this game that won't rape my eyes with jaggies and blurriness.

This game definetly deserves more love, such a Shame Mikami couldn't handle this for obvious reasons...

somnific

i'm downloading it right now-- anyone know why i got it for 1360 msp instead of 1600? (not that i'm complaining). i'm in canada.

FuttBuck said:
Any definitive version? Plan to buy this when I get home
We don't know yet. I have both. But I also have vertigo today so I can't play them. Cvx may be able to provide some clues cause he has both too. Failing that we hope for digital foundry.

somnific said:
i'm downloading it right now-- anyone know why i got it for 1360 msp instead of 1600? (not that i'm complaining). i'm in canada.
Good to know. Remember that 1400 points in Canada is already $19.99 +whatever tax you have. Seems like MS is slowly adjusting for the actual exchange rate.

so, final conclusion: they could have put in more effort, but this game is totally fine. I'm just glad to have a version of this game that won't rape my eyes with jaggies and blurriness.

ILHASS

Relaxed Muscle said:
Are the missing effects on the 360 version? Or both versions are missing them?
i am pretty sure this is direct copy from GC, all effects included and slowdown's too lol

Magnus

Just nabbed it. It looks to me like it did to my 2005 eyes in 2005, as opposed to the blurry mess the Wii version looks to me now. In other words, it looks great, and is now quite tolerable and decent visually.

It's taking me longer than I anticipated to get used to the 360 controller for this. I instinctually went for dual analog aiming (and I'm no huge console FPS afficianado) and I'm not sure if I like aim/fire mapped to the triggers. We'll see. Might change it back.

DryvBy

ILHASS said:
X360 version, EU, no doubt this is GC version, i have GC and beat the game around 20 times since 2005. all textures, all effects the same, and i must say, this is a best version of RE4.

pictures.jpggif

Whoa. I was thinking about waiting until a sale but this looks a lot sharper than I remember. My wife is going to be excited to see this on the TV again. This is one of her favorite games to watch me play. Family time! lol

Curufinwe

TheExorzist said:
Just finished the village opening. Died once. :-D
I'm still struggling with the 360 controls. The Cube controls are in my blood. Always want to shoot with A and run with X. ;-)

Buy this shit guys. The port is decent enough. Greatest game of all times god damnit.

Are you using Type I or Type II? I switched to Type II which lets you shoot with RT.

Still waiting for someone with the PS3 version to let us know if Type II uses R1 or R2 for shooting.

Smision said:

Said it best

Top Bottom