• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GANGSTERKILLER said:
RE 4 HD is good enough for me. And can you imagine MGS 2 opening in HD with 5.1 surround?! Goosebumps guaranteed!! I can't wait for the MGS HD Colletion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EuZo-XrtSQ
Don't forget, the opening to MGS2 *WAS* originally in Dolby Digital 5.1. Yes, several of the most important scenes in the game fully supported a DD5.1 audio track that could be enabled in the options menu. Of course, back in 2001, it wasn't all that common for people to have an audio system capable of this, but the support was definitely there. The majority of the game just 2.0 stereo, however.

rvy said:
You seriously think that I'm not buying this because of "missing shiny textures"? Yeah, OK.
Enjoy your game, fellas. It's fucking awesome. Unlike this low-budget port that does it no justice.

I'm out. Apparently pointing out that this is sub-par is bad, mmmmmmmkay.

so you still haven't played it though, right? right. so stfu?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
rvy said:
You seriously think that I'm not buying this because of "missing shiny textures"? Yeah, OK.
Enjoy your game, fellas. It's fucking awesome. Unlike this low-budget port that does it no justice.

Not sure where I said I seriously think that, but mmmmmmkay. Seeing as you have no first hand experience with the port and are just railing against it based on the Eurogamer review, your presence will not be missed.

snap0212 said:
It's really shitty compared to what KojiPro are doing with the Metal Gear games. Still buying. :p

Those ports are still a ways off. We'll see who complains about what when all the details are known.

rvy said:

Don't let the door hit u on the way out.

dark10x said:
Don't forget, the opening to MGS2 *WAS* originally in Dolby Digital 5.1. Yes, several of the most important scenes in the game fully supported a DD5.1 audio track that could be enabled in the options menu. Of course, back in 2001, it wasn't all that common for people to have an audio system capable of this, but the support was definitely there. The majority of the game just 2.0 stereo, however.

Yup sir, you are right. And i knew this back then, but i didn't have the space for a nice 5.1 setup. I will relive the good times with this EPIC game. :)

Image quality is terrible. The textures have crap filtering and are just a noisy mess the farther the scene goes. Reminds me of Deadly Premonition.

Hey guys, if I download this from PSN, will I be able to eventually play it on my PSVita? I want to buy this game today but I like accessibility so I've got to weigh it in. Thanks!

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Those ports are still a ways off. We'll see who complains about what when all the details are known.
MGS3 and Peace Walker HD will be 60fps, Peace Walker's co-op and Versus modes are now online and from what I can tell the games will have full trophy lists and I think I read somewhere that they'll be using MLAA. What details are you expecting to come out?

Curufinwe

rvy said:

How you know it does it no justice? You haven't seen it first hand nor have you played it.

sajj316

we.are.the.armada said:
Hey guys, if I download this from PSN, will I be able to eventually play it on my PSVita? I want to buy this game today but I like accessibility so I've got to weigh it in. Thanks!

Not at this point. If there is a Vita equivalent, it might be a separate release.

Xtyle

luka said:
It's a shame, but the game is such a massive upgrade in -every other- aspect that ultimately it doesn't matter so much. Just being able to play this game at a decent resolution with no dithering - and no visual or audio glitches like in dolphin - is a godsend.

Buy this shit, and stop comparing it to massively downsampled dolphin shots cherrypicked from the game's most impressive moments, for fuck's sake.

I will most likely buy it.
I have the GC and Wii versions though so I would like this to be the definitive version naturally. I agree that the previous versions are almost unplayable on my HDTV (do to crappy graphics on HDTV).

I read there is no reflections in this version also...man, I don't know..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's RE4. I'm buying the game even if it's 768x512. Resolution doesn't affect perfection Mikami gameplay, say somethin' hater.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, the achievements for Biohazard 4 are really basic. :/

Also if it's the Gamecube version prettied up, great. But I do wish they included the PS2/Waggle version extras like Ada's seperate ways. :/

K' Dash

TheSeks said:
Wow, the achievements for Biohazard 4 are really basic. :/

Also if it's the Gamecube version prettied up, great. But I do wish they included the PS2/Waggle version extras like Ada's seperate ways. :/

wat? there's no separate ways?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
K' Dash said:
wat? there's no separate ways?

People are saying it's the Gamecube version, hence me assuming it's fully Gamecube and not Waggle.

madmook

Bought the 360 version, just jumped in briefly to check out the controls. Wow, is it awkward.

They could've either given it RE5's controls, or left the old RE4 controls as-is. But nope, both types of configuations are a mutant mixture between old and new.

Wanna aim with left trigger and fire with right? OK, but actual aiming is kept on the left stick.

Want classic style? OK, but the run and fire buttons have been swapped (comparing to ps2 version). Well maybe this only affects me cuz I played the ps2 version again recently and I'll have to shake off that muscle memory, but I enjoy bitching nonetheless, they've got my money afterall.

And in both configurations there is no option to swap the map and inventory buttons (I liked the config with inventory on triangle for the ps2 version).

Sometimes I wonder if developers even play games.

bigben85 said:
I will most likely buy it.
I have the GC and Wii versions though so I would like this to be the definitive version naturally. I agree that the previous versions are almost unplayable on my HDTV (do to crappy graphics on HDTV).

I read there is no reflections in this version also...man, I don't know..

Don't buy, this isn't neither the last time will see RE4 in any form, wait until you can play a 100% faithful version of the game, also will send a message to capcom that people won't buy overpriced HD lazy ports like this one, just because it wears the name "RE"

Relaxed Muscle said:
Don't buy, this isn't neither the last time will see RE4 in any form, wait until you can play a 100% faithful version of the game, also will send a message to capcom that people won't buy overpriced HD lazy ports like this one, just because it wears the name "RE"

What does that mean, "100% faithful?" Does that mean I have to play the game in cornea-scraping low res and fake widescreen? Pass.

revolverjgw said:
What does that mean, "100% faithful?" Does that mean I have to play the game in cornea-scraping low res and fake widescreen? Pass.

Means with all the effects there, the GC/Wii graphics without ANY loss in the way, clearly this version dosn't have that.

Fuck them.I'd rather not play the game for another 5 years.

Curufinwe

plagiarize said:
There is. We've seen screens of it. Its based on the Wii version.

Hopefully the OP gets updated with this type of information and maybe screenshots of the new Type II control.

Also, Separate Ways is awesome, and not just for the resolution of
the mystery of Leon's missing jacket.

def sim

so everything is there except some slimy monsters aren't as slimy and that's no good?

i understand everyone has their own preferences and all, but damn really

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Curufinwe said:
Hopefully the OP gets updated with this type of information and maybe screenshots of the new Type II control.

Also, Separate Ways is awesome, and not just for the resolution of
the mystery of Leon's jacket.

So much awesome stuff is revealed in Separate Ways. And you realize that despite how badass Leon is,
Ada saved him from the villagers in the beginning, dropped off the church key for him, took on an entire Tanker and invasion army, finished Krauser, and provided Leon with the final weapon he needed.

Leon, you're small time. ;)

Relaxed Muscle said:
Means with all the effects there, the GC/Wii graphics without ANY loss in the way, clearly this version dosn't have that.

Fuck them.I'd rather not play the game for another 5 years.

Honestly, as someone who beat the Gamecube version then the PS2 version, there's no way I'd even notice that a couple monsters weren't as slimy unless somebody told me and showed me a back-to-back comparison. Higher-res and full widescreen will more than make up for that. Now the game is actually playable on my HDTV.

Xtyle

revolverjgw said:
Honestly, as someone who beat the Gamecube version then the PS2 version, there's no way I'd even notice that a couple monsters weren't as slimy unless somebody told me and showed me a back-to-back comparison. Higher-res and full widescreen will more than make up for that. Now the game is actually playable on my HDTV.

At this point I think I am on a wait and see what people have to say about the game before I want to buy it "mode".

I'm just at the cemetary and everyone having doubts: Do not be scared! This is by far the definitve version of RE4. I'm playing it on a 40" HDTV and the graphics are really good. Far better than from the GC version, which had a lot of flickering as far as I remember.

This comes from someone who has played the game several times on GC and Wii. Actually this is the fourth version I bought from this game. This port is graphically the best - by far.

Risible

Smision said:
so wait...what happens if you don't save the dog? never asked myself this in the years that this game has been out haha.

If you don't save the dog he doesn't show up for the Gigante battle, that's all.

That being said, only horrible horrible people don't save the dog. Just sayin'.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Backfoggen said:
It's pretty bad. The part directly after the first village is noise world deluxe.
But it's my first time playing RE4 so I'll play through it regardless.

So you aren't comparing it to memories of playing it in SD?

If you fail to enjoy the game because of texture filtering... so help me god!

tenz0r

So can anyone confirm if the PS3 version has the horrible Capcom DRM where you have to be online to play? I want the ps3 version, but if it has the drm then I will go with the 360.

mattp

it's a fucking gamecube game for christ sakes. also, it's an incredible lookign gamecube game
i can't believe people are bitching about the graphics. what were you expecting?
yeah it could use some AA, but beyond that did you really think they were redoing anything?

this is one of the best games ever made. shut up and play

I see people talking about missing effects... like? Any comparison pics?

Beyond Good & Evil HD had some missing effects such as DoF, but I don't recall seeing so many people whine about it!! :p

DryvBy

Risible said:
If you don't save the dog he doesn't show up for the Gigante battle, that's all.

That being said, only horrible horrible people don't save the dog. Just sayin'.

Aw, come on! Not only bad people never save the dog. Some people just don't like dogs. Or cats for that matter.

Top Bottom