• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Koyuga

badcrumble said:
+1. Leon's aim is *supposed* to be a bit shaky. In the original, you get good at the shooting galleries and you're a big step on your way toward becoming a god of gun combat. Five-star every stage with every character in The Mercenaries and you'll be able to handle anything the SP campaign throws at you with your eyes closed.

One of the very best things about RE4 was the learning curve, and RE4 Wii took that away.
From what I remembered the shakiness actually helped me with aiming sometimes. >_>

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Getting the game. Download will probably be done in an hour.

Risette

A Good Citizen
funkystudent said:
after playing RE4 on the Wii and RE5 gold on ps3 with move I cant replay 4 without a motion controller.

It just feels wrong. :/ hope I can get use to it.... or capcom patches in Move support.. lol@theideaofcapcomdoingsomethinggoodforachange.
Using motion control for RE4 is wrong >_>

I don't care about motion support (thought it was great with and without).

I JUST WANT SOME DAMN ANTIALIASING AT LEAST. It's super distracting in the earlier levels when all you seem to see are shimmering leaves on the ground.

Zinthar

CartridgeBlower said:
Is this real, or just the biggest meta xbot fanboy post ever...

That's a pretty baseless accusation you're making about a post from someone who explained in quite a bit of detail the reasoning behind his conclusion. Also, it seems clear that he owns both the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

I can't confirm as I don't own either version yet, but given that Capcom pretty much phoned in this "HD re-make" it makes a lot of sense that they would merely port the PS2 RE4 controls over to the PS3 but would have to do some additional work for the 360 version. Borrowing the GCN version's left stick aiming with RE5 360's camera movement would be one of the easiest ways to do that. If this incidentally makes the 360 version superior, then that's the way it is.

I was also *hoping* that the PS3 version would be equal or superior to the 360 as I still prefer not to support Microsoft after the way they handled the RROD scandal, but I don't see where you can accuse this guy of being an xbot.

Zinthar

Aigis said:

Agreed. I played the Wii version, and it was just way too easy because it removed a core gunplay mechanic from the original which required a lot of skill to master, and is one of RE4's defining features.

Ridley327

That's really interesting that the 360 does a great job of replicating the Gamecube's controls and there's some issues with it on the PS3; I always wondered why the PS2 version felt off, and that might actually help explain it.

Damn downloading takes forever... Already got all the awesome exclusive avatar pics. But they are only accesible with my US account (the one I bought the game with). Is this always like that? If I cannot play the game itself with my EU account I will cry...

...and then make the US account my new main account ;)

HeySeuss

Ace_235 said:
Ugh i hate my shitty ass internet connection i have been downloading this for 2.5 hours and its only on %65..

Damn, I was impatient with 45 minutes. I personally liked the Wii version, but I had already completed the game multiple times on the GC. The Wiimote certainly made the game A LOT easier, so playing it with a normal controller now suddenly makes it a challenge again. And I'm happy about that.

jackdoe

Ridley327 said:
That's really interesting that the 360 does a great job of replicating the Gamecube's controls and there's some issues with it on the PS3; I always wondered why the PS2 version felt off, and that might actually help explain it.
Maybe they reused controller data from the PS2 version to save cash?

Ridley327

jackdoe said:
Maybe they reused controller data from the PS2 version to save cash?
Well, it's not like RE4 was the only Gamecube game that suffered control-wise in its transition to the PS2; Super Monkey Ball was another very well-known example.

Zinthar

AkimbO_Arcana said:
Damn downloading takes forever... Already got all the awesome exclusive avatar pics. But they are only accesible with my US account (the one I bought the game with). Is this always like that? If I cannot play the game itself with my EU account I will cry...

...and then make the US account my new main account ;)

Wouldn't that be a good idea in general as most downloadable content is slightly cheaper in the U.S. based on recent exchange rates?

Teknoman

Aigis said:

Was really fun regardless. Same with the reload noises.

Either way, currently downloading the PS3 version. Only played Cube and Wii so hopefully i'm not thrown off (of course i've been playing RE5 PS3 and Mercs 3D, so it probably wont be that bad).

Koyuga

Zinthar said:
Agreed. I played the Wii version, and it was just way too easy because it removed a core gunplay mechanic from the original which required a lot of skill to master, and is one of RE4's defining features.
It does make it a ton easier, but it feels so natural that its hard to go back. Too bad it looks like we'll never get a resident evil game built from the ground up with those controls :/

Zinthar

Ridley327 said:
Well, it's not like RE4 was the only Gamecube game that suffered control-wise in its transition to the PS2; Super Monkey Ball was another very well-known example.

So basically they did a shoddy job with the PS2 port's controls in the first place, and then just copied over the same code to PS3. Brilliant, Capcom!

Teknoman

Koyuga said:
It does make it a ton easier, but it feels so natural that its hard to go back. Too bad it looks like we'll never get a resident evil game built from the ground up with those controls :/

Maybe if Nintendo brings their A game with the Wii U. Should be perfect for RE6.

Sullichin

Honestly expected the game to look worse than it does on my screen, based on some reviews/this thread. I think it looks good, and in some places it looks great.

Ridley327

Zinthar said:
So basically they did a shoddy job with the PS2 port's controls in the first place, and then just copied over the same code to PS3. Brilliant, Capcom!
Like Yama mentioned, it seems more like that they simply didn't bother to re-optimize the controls from the Gamecube for the PS2 and now the PS3. It doesn't seem like it'd be such an issue, but the analog stick on the Gamecube was a fairly unique beast.

Teknoman

AkuMifune said:
Touchpad aiming? I'd rather play a Kinect RE. Which is to say, I'd rather have my face eaten off.

No I mean with the Wii remote and Nunchuck. Wii U is supposed to be backwards compatible with the Wii's accessories. So the choice of that + graphics.

Seeing this on the US PSN store was a lovely sight today, might bite when it arrives in Euroland. I am just really miffed about the HD port and the trophy situation is a bastard too! Also, US gets all 3 Resi games? Uk gets the first only! Pah!

cvxfreak

I've been playing through Biohazard 4 on the PS3 and I honestly do not like that version at all, partly because of the controls and that few moments of slowdown I've experienced.

Going to give the U.S. 360 version a run today. I think I'm going to like that version better for sure.

RE4 Wii will always reign supreme for me though. I hope Capcom ports Revival Selection to Wii U someday so we can regain the (IMO) superior aiming controls.

Ace_235 said:
Ugh i hate my shitty ass internet connection i have been downloading this for 2.5 hours and its only on %65..

I started downloading mine at 5:50 this morning...

...It got done at 8...AT NIGHT.

Wanna trade internets?

Zinthar said:
Wouldn't that be a good idea in general as most downloadable content is slightly cheaper in the U.S. based on recent exchange rates?

Not really... For example: I just had to pay 17,99$ for the three months plus. To add three months on my eu account is 14,99€. A year is 39,99€ at the moment compared to 49,99€ on the US store.

The cheapest 50$ PSN card I found on ebay was 42,50€ and I have to pay the same for 50€ PSN cards. So no, US PSN is actually a bit pricier...

AkuMifune

Banned
Teknoman said:
No I mean with the Wii remote and Nunchuck. Wii U is supposed to be backwards compatible with the Wii's accessories. So the choice of that + graphics.

Oh right. Though we still have to wait to see how many developers will support the old motion controls, right?

Feels so weird to say 'old motion controls'.

ElFly

Zinthar said:

Please.

The real reason is that we all played RE4 to death on the Gamecube, so doing another run on the Wii can only have been super easy.

Teknoman

cvxfreak said:
I've been playing through Biohazard 4 on the PS3 and I honestly do not like that version at all, partly because of the controls and that few moments of slowdown I've experienced.

Going to give the U.S. 360 version a run today. I think I'm going to like that version better for sure.

RE4 Wii will always reign supreme for me though. I hope Capcom ports Revival Selection to Wii U someday so we can regain the (IMO) superior aiming controls.

What was the verdict on CVX HD PS3?

Teknoman

AkuMifune said:
Oh right. Though we still have to wait to see how many developers will support the old motion controls, right?

Feels so weird to say 'old motion controls'.

True, wishful thinking I know. I was still holding out for RE2 Wiimake right up until Darkside Chronicles released.

KennyLinder said:
Seeing this on the US PSN store was a lovely sight today, might bite when it arrives in Euroland. I am just really miffed about the HD port and the trophy situation is a bastard too! Also, US gets all 3 Resi games? Uk gets the first only! Pah!

EU usually gets the better free stuff for PS+; *cough*BURNOUTPARADISE*cough*. :D

It's nice to come out a little on top, for once, though I already bought some of the RE PSX games when they were on sale. :\

AkuMifune

Banned
Teknoman said:
True, wishful thinking I know. I was still holding out for RE2 Wiimake right up until Darkside Chronicles released.

I would take any version of an RE2 remake they want to give me.

61% and counting. Forgot to turn my 360 on before I left for work, dammit.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
My efforts in collecting this whole series have been screwed around so many times.

I got RE1 for Saturn. Then Saturn died.

Then I got RE2 for N64. Then RE3 only came out for PS1, so *sigh* I buy the first two for PS1, since I hate having a series broken across different BRAND platforms.

So then RE:CV comes out for Dreamcast and, having been burned by Saturn (and Sega CD), I pass on the whole platform. It comes out for PS2, but at the time I just had Gamecube.

Then Capcom announces they're hoping over to the 'Cube, with the REmake, RE0, and RE4 exclusive to it, plus the ports. So I get those. REmake is awesome, ports are disappointing in comparison, but I have the whole series on one platform. Then I get RE4 for Wii, and Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. Wii is still that platform that will play the most RE games out of the whole series for me.

But Nintendo's console is too weak for RE5, so it moves over to PS3 and 360. So I get the PS3 since I can play 1, 2, and 3 on it too. Consider buying CVX and RE4 for PS2, but am annoyed at no REmake and RE0.

Now RE4 comes out in HD on PS3, but download only, which does not satisfy my collector urge. And the JP disk does not contain English text options.

Just... fuckin'.... aggravating!

Synless

cvxfreak said:

Don't they both have slowdown?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Question: Does anyone know if Resident Evil 4, purchased from Games on Demand from the US Xbox Live, is region locked? I'd like to play this on the Xbox 360 because of the controller, but I have a Japanese 360 and the games don't appear to be available for individual purchase on the Japanese Xbox Live.

MrDaravon

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Sorry that the Wii baby version fooled you into thinking you were a pro player. A real man spends way too goddamn long perfecting the shooting galleries.

This is adorable since I went through the GC and PS2 versions over 10 times doing all of the Galleries and 5 starring all characters on Mercenaries every time. Something feels off with the 360 version, but maybe it's my controller? I just went back to the Wii version using a GC controller (I don't have my GC or PS2 copies of the game anymore) and I don't seem to be having the same problem.

K' Dash

This version was what I expected, a cleaner sharp version of RE4 without the black borders GCN had.

I adjusted the screen to fill my TV and it looks great, the RE4 I love.

SailorDaravon said:
This is adorable since I went through the GC and PS2 versions over 10 times doing all of the Galleries and 5 starring all characters on Mercenaries every time. Something feels off with the 360 version, but maybe it's my controller? I just went back to the Wii version using a GC controller (I don't have my GC or PS2 copies of the game anymore) and I don't seem to be having the same problem.

It's because of the superior GameCube Controller, now you have to adapt a little bit to the 360/PS3 controller :p

I'm dead serious.

Imbarkus said:
My efforts in collecting this whole series have been screwed around so many times.

It's easy, if you want the most complete collection with the least platforms you can buy ALL the numbered RE (and Code Veronica) on the Cube, wich will be compatible for the Wii, wich has the on rails shooters, and the you can buy RE5 for your PS3 that can play the PS2 exclusives, those multiplayer RE, I don't remember their names...

Curufinwe

Rikkun said:
hmm, I played the GC version in the past and this now... and yeah I've nearly run out of ammo, luckily I had the shotgun.

I almost ran out of ammo just after killing the second Dr. Salvador (chainsaw guy). That didn't happen when I played the Wii version earlier this year, but my accuracy is around 10% lower.

I just got my free Punisher and bought the rifle from the Merchant before I had to stop playing.

revolverjgw said:
He's telling the truth, the deadzone or whatever while walking around in the PS3 version does take some getting used to, it's not ideal. I can't remember if it was like this in the PS2 version. Aiming feels fine though. It's nothing to worry about if you're on the fence.

I remember the aiming being slightly but significantly harder on the PS2 version than on the GC version because of the difference in quality of the left analogs.

On the GC version I got every bottle cap eventually, but I didn't even bother attempting most of the shooting gallery stages when I played it on the PS2.

JohngPR

Is there slowdown? I remember CVX Freak complaining about it on the Japanese version on the 8-4 podcast and was curious if the US version had this as well.

Curufinwe

K' Dash said:
It's because of the superior GameCube Controller, now you have to adapt a little bit to the 360/PS3 controller :p

I'm dead serious.

The left stick on the GameCube controller is definitely superior.

Curufinwe said:
The left stick on the GameCube controller is definitely superior.
yep. such a precise analog. monkey ball on everything else is inferior. i remember deluxe on Xbox being better than on PS2, but still it wasn't precise enough.

aiming feels fine on 360 from what i played, but then i've played RE5 on that pad so many times so it's no wonder i feel at home. had no ammo issues in the village. if you've got grenades and you aren't using them, well, you should be.

Top Bottom