• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
gray_fox224 said:
What's noise?

I assume he means the textures are very gritty and poorly filtered, so in the distance, when the textures are small but still detailed, they look bad.

Google image search for "texture noise" for visual examples.

EmSeta

tenz0r said:
So can anyone confirm if the PS3 version has the horrible Capcom DRM where you have to be online to play? I want the ps3 version, but if it has the drm then I will go with the 360.

It's not out yet...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Phonomezer said:
I see people talking about missing effects... like? Any comparison pics?

Beyond Good & Evil HD had some missing effects such as DoF, but I don't recall seeing so many people whine about it!! :p
People aren't as passionate about BG&E as this game. ;P

The only missing effect is environment mapped bump mapping, which gave certain objects and enemies a glossy, shiny appearance. It's unfortunate, but not a huge loss. There's no way I will play any of my 3 other copies again. :)

Yama

On a different end of things, I'd like to compare the controls. Of course the Wii version boasted some awesome motion implementation, but alas it's a preference or choice to play as such. What I'd like to point out is the actual differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

The stick increments are completely different for both versions!

On the PlayStation 3, moving the character in a diagonal direction does not immediately activate unless the stick is almost at a 25 degree angle from the left or right position. The Xbox 360 however recognizes the diagonal position at a perfect 45 degree angle, it feels identical to the GameCube version.

Using the right analog stick to manipulate the camera via the PlayStation 3 version is roughly equal to or slightly less than the GameCube version. However the Xbox 360 version has multiplied this space by about two. The result of more viewable area may not seem meaningful, though it is crucial in regards to a usable 'pivot step.'

In Biohazard 5, the pivot step mechanism was key to fast paced set ups and aiming. It allowed users to manipulate the camera to their own advantage, lining up shots before they occur, along with taking corners and changing direction at a much faster pace. This was barely usable in Biohazard 4 due to the cameras properties, but in the Xbox 360 version it has for some reason seen a sizable buff.

Whether or not the properties were edited for the PS3 and 360 controllers alike (doubtful), or one versions controller benefited from the GameCube mechanical translation more (likely); the Xbox 360 version easily comes out on top in terms of in-game mechanics and controller translations.

On the preferential end of things, the 360 control layout is obviously more akin to the GameCube set up. The analog placement is the same and the structure is at least comparable, unlike PS3's swapped locations and different style of analog stick. This alone makes things feel more at home on the 360. 100% reflective and responsive directional control along with a buffed pivot step all make this version play wonderfully, while the PS3's smaller blemishes and awkward positioning leave the player wondering which method of control to use (d-pad or analog, flip a coin).

Xtyle

mattp said:
it's a fucking gamecube game for christ sakes. also, it's an incredible lookign gamecube game
i can't believe people are bitching about the graphics. what were you expecting?
yeah it could use some AA, but beyond that did you really think they were redoing anything?

this is one of the best games ever made. shut up and play

Well, I could live with out AA and such but things like the missing effects that were in the original game kind of bothers me a bit. If it is HD with everything that was in the original, I would be more than happy.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yama said:
On a different end of things, I'd like to compare the controls. Of course the Wii version boasted some awesome motion implementation, but alas it's a preference or choice to play as such. What I'd like to point out is the actual differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

Interesting that they would do this. The PS3 version feels similar to the PS2 controls, so I didn't think much of it. I chalked up the somewhat awkward analog response to the fact that it's a game with purely digital control that was meant for a stick with an octagonal gate like the GCN.

bigben85 said:
Well, I could live with out AA and such but things like the missing effects that were in the original game kind of bothers me a bit. If it is HD with everything that was in the original, I would be more than happy.
"Missing effect." No plural. There is only one.

mattp

luka said:
Interesting that they would do this. The PS3 version feels similar to the PS2 controls, so I didn't think much of it.
nooooooooooooooooo

i only had the gc version, and when i played the ps2 version at my friend's i remember thinking the aiming felt off.

son of a..

luka said:
People aren't as passionate about BG&E as this game. ;P

The only missing effect is environment mapped bump mapping, which gave certain objects and enemies a glossy, shiny appearance. It's unfortunate, but not a huge loss. There's no way I will play any of my 3 other copies again. :)

Yeah I can see that being irritating for long-time fans, but thankfully it isn't too major.

Seems a shame that Capcom would half-arse a port of RE4, from what I hear it's one of the best games they've made. Can't wait to try it out shortly!

Is it just me, or is this new version a lot more difficult than the versions before? I am almost perfectly sure that at least Del Lago is a lot more difficult to beat in this new port than in the old versions as he needs longer to emerge after his U-turn and you therefore have to be more careful with your timing. I beat him with my health bar being red. I was sweating like a pig on my last swim through the water before I finished him...

And now... El Giante.... Believe it or not, but at this point of the game I have ZERO ammo. WTF? I just had to fucking knife El Giante in his third and last finisher. What the hell? I played this game like a gazillion times before but I was never that short on ammo. Before the El Giante I acutally went back to the lake in order to get some additinal ammo - only to waste the little I had because the enemies on the way there only gave me money.

I am now literally a zero ammo. Never had this before. Did I just get bad or is the game indeed more difficult now?

DSc

Aspiring said:
It is $29.95 AUD or 1840 MS points here in Australia.

I have a US NTSC machine, but an Australian PAL xbox Live account. I dont buy Games On Demand titles, this would have been a first, and its also the first time i have had any problems. Im guessing its because its region locked, and it picks up my 360 is US.

Here's Microsoft's official response to the difference in pricing between regions:

Microsoft, however, has told us that "pricing of Games on Demand titles are determined at a regional level, based on many factors, including regional market demands, current pricing across all retail, and exchange rates, which can vary dramatically from region to region." Looks like European gamers are going to have to pay the full 1840 Microsoft Points.

http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/news/resident-evil-4-hd-price-prob.html

Seems a bit odd that the MSP value differs between regions considering points are already weighted for exchange rates anyway.

Sullichin

DryvBy2 said:
Can anyone confirm DRM on this? This will keep me from buying over anything else.

I really want to know! I'm buying the game regardless but I really want my friend to experience it, but he probably wouldn't spend $20 on it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TheExorzist said:
Is it just me, or is this new version a lot more difficult than the versions before? I am almost perfectly sure that at least Del Lago is a lot more difficult to beat in this new port than in the old versions as he needs longer to emerge after his U-turn and you therefore have to be more careful with your timing. I beat him with my health bar being red. I was sweating like a pig on my last swim through the water before I finished him...

And now... El Giante.... Believe it or not, but at this point of the game I have ZERO ammo. WTF? I just had to fucking knife El Giante in his third and last finisher. What the hell? I played this game like a gazillion times before but I was never that short on ammo. Before the El Giante I acutally went back to the lake in order to get some additinal ammo - only to waste the little I had because the enemies on the way there only gave me money.

I am now literally a zero ammo. Never had this before. Did I just get bad or is the game indeed more difficult now?

I'm not an expert on the different versions, but people have mentioned that the economy was different in the GC version compared to later versions. Maybe you're getting less ammo but more money?

edit: oops double post sorry

Sullichin

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If you share it you're giving Capcom every reason to poison their future releases with shit DRM.

Shrug? No guilty conscious at all about sharing a game that I bought. Fuck DRM.

Currently downloading this. Can't wait

Curufinwe

I thought I would want to use the new Type II controls where LT is aim and RT is shoot, but when I tried it just now it felt really unnatural to then aim with the left stick.

So I have reverted back to the Type I controls of aim with RT and X is shoot. That's for the 360 version.

Made it to the first chainsaw guy section, had the whole crowd contained at a nice choke off point in that house with the front room and back room, just waiting there for them to open the door and blasting ganados in the face when they opened the door, kicking ass, hit them with a grenade, got to the next wave, got greedy, opened the door myself, and chain saw guy swiped right then and cut my head off.

Lyonaz

Curufinwe said:
I thought I would want to use the new Type II controls where LT is aim and RT is shoot, but when I tried it just now it felt really unnatural to then aim with the left stick.

So I have reverted back to the Type I controls of aim with RT and X is shoot. That's for the 360 version.
Yeah I did the same on the PS3.

Also I forgot how tense that first village part was, damn I was sweating and my heart was pounding. The awkwardness of the controls and hearing that damn chainsaw. But then you get the shotgun and all was right with world, the shotgun is satisfying. Can't wait till I get the Bolt Action Rifle, I love that rifle.

Rikkun

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm not an expert on the different versions, but people have mentioned that the economy was different in the GC version compared to later versions. Maybe you're getting less ammo but more money?

edit: oops double post sorry

hmm, I played the GC version in the past and this now... and yeah I've nearly run out of ammo, luckily I had the shotgun.

But i think it's because of RE5. I played it yesterday and I had LOTS of ammo, even in the DLC stages. I just need to learn again to aim with LS.

Rikkun said:
hmm, I played the GC version in the past and this now... and yeah I've nearly run out of ammo, luckily I had the shotgun.

But i think it's because of RE5. I played it yesterday and I had LOTS of ammo, even in the DLC stages. I just need to learn again to aim with LS.
Leg shot, melee, knife. Conserve those bullets!

Rikkun

plagiarize said:
Leg shot, melee, knife. Conserve those bullets!

I know! But I ran out of ammo while waiting for the bell to save me.. and those fuckers are pretty quick. Also, melee is not as powerful as the one in RE5. And stabbing them is pretty slow.

Also, that saw noise is a nightmare, I've dodged that guy so many times, I guess it took around 20 gun bullets to take him out.

snap0212

Kind of sad that people want to share this game. We bitched when they introduced their DRM and now when they don't use it, we abuse the system. Not a fan of that mentality.

RedSwirl

Yama said:

On the PlayStation 3, moving the character in a diagonal direction does not immediately activate unless the stick is almost at a 25 degree angle from the left or right position. The Xbox 360 however recognizes the diagonal position at a perfect 45 degree angle, it feels identical to the GameCube version.

Using the right analog stick to manipulate the camera via the PlayStation 3 version is roughly equal to or slightly less than the GameCube version. However the Xbox 360 version has multiplied this space by about two. The result of more viewable area may not seem meaningful, though it is crucial in regards to a usable 'pivot step.'

In Biohazard 5, the pivot step mechanism was key to fast paced set ups and aiming. It allowed users to manipulate the camera to their own advantage, lining up shots before they occur, along with taking corners and changing direction at a much faster pace. This was barely usable in Biohazard 4 due to the cameras properties, but in the Xbox 360 version it has for some reason seen a sizable buff.

Whether or not the properties were edited for the PS3 and 360 controllers alike (doubtful), or one versions controller benefited from the GameCube mechanical translation more (likely); the Xbox 360 version easily comes out on top in terms of in-game mechanics and controller translations.

On the preferential end of things, the 360 control layout is obviously more akin to the GameCube set up. The analog placement is the same and the structure is at least comparable, unlike PS3's swapped locations and different style of analog stick. This alone makes things feel more at home on the 360. 100% reflective and responsive directional control along with a buffed pivot step all make this version play wonderfully, while the PS3's smaller blemishes and awkward positioning leave the player wondering which method of control to use (d-pad or analog, flip a coin).

Looks like I made the right choice, and for exactly the right reason.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
snap0212 said:
Kind of sad that people want to share this game. We bitched when they introduced their DRM and now when they don't use it, we abuse the system. Not a fan of that mentality.

I'm on your side on this one, but to play devil's advocate, they overpriced it thus making it very easy to rationalize the decision to share it.

Yama said:

Is this real, or just the biggest meta xbot fanboy post ever...

MrDaravon

The Shooting Galleries are frustrating as fucking shit with a stick since Leon can't hold a gun straight to save his fucking life, I'm remembering why I only kept my Wii version of RE 4 now. On Wii on my last run I did every single Gallery in a row with zero failures, and on only the second gallery on 360 I have seriously failed like 20 times in a row, this is goddamn infuriating.

Started playing it...

...This could have done well with some anti-aliasing and some new text. Because I gotta say, it has been pretty damn distracting so far.

He's telling the truth, the deadzone or whatever while walking around in the PS3 version does take some getting used to, it's not ideal. I can't remember if it was like this in the PS2 version. Aiming feels fine though. It's nothing to worry about if you're on the fence.

The port could have used more polish but it still looks good, huge improvement over the SD versions. Anybody passing on this because of a missing texture is nuts. The Wii version looks like shit compared to this (unless you're playing on an old SD CRT).

Game is still super intense. I struggled to get through the village, couldn't find enough ammo, haven't gotten back into the groove with the melee timing, and shit myself when chainsaw man arrived on the scene. It shows its age though... I always hated having to dig around in the menu just to ready a grenade. It's even worse now. Still, this is pretty much the best game ever.

after playing RE4 on the Wii and RE5 gold on ps3 with move I cant replay 4 without a motion controller.

It just feels wrong. :/ hope I can get use to it.... or capcom patches in Move support.. lol@theideaofcapcomdoingsomethinggoodforachange.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
SailorDaravon said:
The Shooting Galleries are frustrating as fucking shit with a stick since Leon can't hold a gun straight to save his fucking life, I'm remembering why I only kept my Wii version of RE 4 now. On Wii on my last run I did every single Gallery in a row with zero failures, and on only the second gallery on 360 I have seriously failed like 20 times in a row, this is goddamn infuriating.

Sorry that the Wii baby version fooled you into thinking you were a pro player. A real man spends way too goddamn long perfecting the shooting galleries.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Sorry that the Wii baby version fooled you into thinking you were pro player. A real man spends way too goddamn long perfecting the shooting galleries.
+1. Leon's aim is *supposed* to be a bit shaky. In the original, you get good at the shooting galleries and you're a big step on your way toward becoming a god of gun combat. Five-star every stage with every character in The Mercenaries and you'll be able to handle anything the SP campaign throws at you with your eyes closed.

One of the very best things about RE4 was the learning curve, and RE4 Wii took that away.

Teknoman

Man if Capcom patches in move support, definitive version confirmed.

Options are always a good thing.

EDIT: PS3 version purchase confirmed then. Cant wait on MS to fix my account.

Top Bottom