• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

plagiarize said:
yep. such a precise analog. monkey ball on everything else is inferior. i remember deluxe on Xbox being better than on PS2, but still it wasn't precise enough.

aiming feels fine on 360 from what i played, but then i've played RE5 on that pad so many times so it's no wonder i feel at home. had no ammo issues in the village. if you've got grenades and you aren't using them, well, you should be.

Using grenades? Nonsense. I prefer to save them for a rainy day until I'm inevitably forced to drop them to make room for firstaid sprays that I'm too afraid to use.

Curufinwe

Yeah, I played RE 5 on the PC using a 360 controller because using the mouse & keyboard meant getting ridiculous QTEs like "F + X". So I'm pretty used to aiming with the left stick on the 360 pad.

K' Dash

I just Headshot everything and then melee, if it gets crowded, the shotgun is obviously the crowd control weapon of choice.

epmode

revolverjgw said:
Using grenades? Nonsense. I prefer to save them for a rainy day until I'm inevitably forced to drop them to make room for firstaid sprays that I'm too afraid to use.
YES. The only way to play!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cvxfreak said:
RE4 Wii will always reign supreme for me though. I hope Capcom ports Revival Selection to Wii U someday so we can regain the (IMO) superior aiming controls.
et tu, cvxfreak?

:(

cvxfreak

JohngPR said:
Is there slowdown? I remember CVX Freak complaining about it on the Japanese version on the 8-4 podcast and was curious if the US version had this as well.

Hmm? You mean Twitter? The 8-4 Play RE Special predates Revival Selection. :p

Mungular

try to buy RE4 last night but it the marketplace pooped its pants! probably from everyone plating gears 3 or something haha gunna try again tonight

revolverjgw said:

You have just summed up almost every experience i have with RPG/Action games with an inventory.

Sullichin

JohngPR said:
Is there slowdown? I remember CVX Freak complaining about it on the Japanese version on the 8-4 podcast and was curious if the US version had this as well.

I noticed a little bit of slowdown after the lake boss when it's raining. Doesn't seem to be too prevalent of a problem so far.

Dreamer RD

Awesome port. Cant understand so much hate. Using 720p mode and looks more than decent. Obviously it's based on cube or wii version. Surprised by loading speed. Almost no waiting at all.

What about Del Lago trophy? Killed it and no unlock. Some specific actions required?

Cruzader

Banned
Bought for $10.

Decent port. You can tell it hasnt aged very well in a the textures department. God awful in alot of areas but what can you do?

First time playing it thoroughly and have died like 20 times already. That damn town at the beginning...jesus didnt know what to do and kept getting my head chainsawed off haha!

I hope REmake makes it on HD consoles. That game looked awesome back then but was jaggy mess.

Curufinwe

The easy way to get past the first big battle in the Village is...

Go into the big house to trigger the cutscene. Runs upstairs and grab the shotgun off the wall, jump out the window and then go to the right around the outside of the second floor of the house and wait. The ganados won't be able to attack you from behind, and your shotgun and grenade should be enough to kill Dr. Salvador.

After he's dead you can jump down and just run around avoiding the ganados until bingo starts. It may take a while for the bell to ring though, so don't go in to any dead ends.

knitoe

I was really looking forward to playing this again, but after reading the reviews, think I'll save same microsoft points instead.

Cruzader

Banned
Curufinwe said:

Go into the big house to trigger the cutscene. Runs upstairs and grab the shotgun off the wall, jump out the window and then go to the right around the outside of the second floor of the house and wait. The ganados won't be able to attack you from behind, and your shotgun and grenade should be enough to kill Dr. Salvador.

After he's dead you can jump down and just run around avoiding the ganados until bingo starts. It may take a while for the bell to ring though, so don't go in to any dead ends.
Yea my bro beat the game and he was telling me some wrong info
"Shoot the bell on the tower so they go to church!!" im like WHERE IS IT? That tower has no bell!!! Then he's like "oh run a bit and wait it out!" Which I did till I got chopped off. Didnt know I could kill that chainsaw guy so never really tried and the last time, I accidentally killed him and I was like "oh so you CAN keill him" and triggered the bingo bell

Cant wait to play more tomorrow!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I can't follow everything that's been said in this thread so can someone just tell me, did they use the superior GameCube lighting for this remaster, or the crappier flatter one found in ps2 and pc versions of the game?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Lord Error said:
I can't follow everything that's been said in this thread so can someone just tell me, did they use the superior GameCube lighting for this remaster, or the crappier flatter one found in ps2 and pc versions of the game?
Gamecube

The only missing effect is EMBM.

K' Dash

Curufinwe said:

You can go trough that part without triggering that cutscene, just keep killing/meleeing ganados till the bell sounds, it's easier and you don't waste ammo on Dr. Salvador.

Curufinwe

K' Dash said:
You can go trough that part without triggering that cutscene, just keep killing/meleeing ganados till the bell sounds, it's easier and you don't waste ammo on Dr. Salvador.

That's true, but anybody who plays RE 4 needs to see that cutscene at least once.

Bishman said:
Does RE4 HD contain the Ada's mission that was included on the Wii version?

Yes, Separate Ways is included. The OP definitely needs to be updated with answers to some of these common questions.

Bishman

Curufinwe said:
That's true, but anybody who plays RE 4 needs to see that cutscene at least once.

Yes, Separate Ways is included. The OP definitely needs to be updated with answers to some of these common questions.
Thanks. For anyone who has it on the PS3, is it worth buying. I bought RE4 Wii version way back but I left my Wii for my brother to use. I'm in college. I got a PS3 and been dying to replay the game for Ada's Separate Ways. Should I buy it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Aigis said:
Gamecube

The only missing effect is EMBM.
Thanks! That alone warrants a purchase from me as I've only ever played it on ps2 and the lighting has looked so meh compared to videos of GC version.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Para bailar La Bomba said:
I'm guessing you never played the Wii version.
Motion control completely breaks the game as the mechanics are designed around the limitations of an analog stick.

JohngPR said:

I noticed some heavy slowdown when I shotgunned a crowd while in the water. Not just a framerate drop, but the action sloooowing down. Actually, it was kind of cool.

There's brief framerate drops in large open areas, but nothing that's bothered me

Aigis said:
Motion control completely breaks the game as the mechanics are designed around the limitations of an analog stick.

wtf on wii it is one of the best experience. Are you basing it on your own experience or directors comment? I have played game on both I highly highly recommend wii version. what do you mean by break the game?

aight, I've never played RE4, so should I pick it up? I didn't really care for RE5, but I hear that this game is legendary, so I'm intrigued! PS+ here, so it would be $10.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Resident Evil 4 doesn't look bad on the PS3 at all. Having a blast with it at the moment.

cjtiger300 said:
aight, I've never played RE4, so should I pick it up? I didn't really care for RE5, but I hear that this game is legendary, so I'm intrigued! PS+ here, so it would be $10.

Fucking amazing game. Buy it.

Someone needs to tell me if capbomb region locked this shit. I want to buy the US version and pay $10 not $30 for the AUD version.

Akuosa

cjtiger300 said:
How do you sustain life?!
I mean... yes, yes you should. For 10$ and if you never played it before, I don't think anyone in this thread with argue it. It has aged more than well enough to be enjoyable for newcomers.

crazy monkey said:
wtf on wii it is one of the best experience. Are you basing it on your own experience or directors comment? I have played game on both I highly highly recommend wii version. what do you mean by break the game?

The game mechanics, enemy reactions and speed, the pacing, these were all carefully implemented with the assumption that the player can only aim as accurately and quickly as analog sticks allow. A new control method gives Leon too big an advantage, and almost nothing is done to compensate for that.

JohngPR

cvxfreak said:
Hmm? You mean Twitter? The 8-4 Play RE Special predates Revival Selection. :p

That's right...I think someone retweeted your tweet about it which is how I saw it. Sorry, it all runs together! :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
crazy monkey said:

I don't think anyone is saying the Wii controls aren't fun, but there's no doubt that the game was not designed around a pointer and therefore loses a lot in the translation. How can there be the same tension if you can instantly move the cursor over an enemy's head and fire?

Someone said earlier that with Wii controls he aced the shooting gallery without failing once. That's good evidence that the pointer controls make you too accurate. Those shooting galleries are supposed to be quite difficult.

K' Dash

crazy monkey said:

He means the game is too easy with the wiimote, wich is right, it's to easy to get headshots and the enemies are slow because it's designed to take your time to aim for the head, with the pointer the games's a joke, I mean, it's a great experience, but no the way it's meant to be played.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the 360 pad because of this, been playing the Wii and GameCube versions lately.

Curufinwe said:

A real boss runs to the exit, wakes up that Dr. Salvador, then runs to the shotgun (spawning a SECOND Dr. Salvador), and kills them both in order to get a delicious money bonus early on in the game.

Welp, put in twenty bucks into my account. Whether to pull trigger on buying it though, I don't know. The reviews are making it seem like it's half-assed. Hell it looks half-assed from screens. But then there's people here saying it's good.

I could just wait for a discount or something and then get it, or I get it and feel like Capcom just robbed me again, or I get it and my opinion of Capcom lately slightly improves as I'm enjoying one the best games ever created all over again.

Goddamn it. Why's it got to be twenty bucks?

Top Bottom