• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
badcrumble said:
A real boss runs to the exit, wakes up that Dr. Salvador, then runs to the shotgun (spawning a SECOND Dr. Salvador), and kills them both in order to get a delicious money bonus early on in the game.
:bow

I'm finally installing it. I'm so fucking pumped. PUMPED. Can't wait to trigger the cutscene so that Mr. Salvador appears! :D

gray_fox224

Crewnh said:
Welp, put in twenty bucks into my account. Whether to pull trigger on buying it though, I don't know. The reviews are making it seem like it's half-assed. Hell it looks half-assed from screens. But then there's people here saying it's good.

I could just wait for a discount or something and then get it, or I get it and feel like Capcom just robbed me again, or I get it and my opinion of Capcom lately slightly improves as I'm enjoying one the best games ever created all over again.

Goddamn it. Why's it got to be twenty bucks?

Just get ready for a long download :(

crazy monkey said:
wtf on wii it is one of the best experience. Are you basing it on your own experience or directors comment? I have played game on both I highly highly recommend wii version. what do you mean by break the game?
That statement is nuts. When you start to panic by what's going on-screen, you're aim goes off. You buck routine shots. That's called immersion.

Crewnh said:
Welp, put in twenty bucks into my account. Whether to pull trigger on buying it though, I don't know. The reviews are making it seem like it's half-assed. Hell it looks half-assed from screens. But then there's people here saying it's good.

I could just wait for a discount or something and then get it, or I get it and feel like Capcom just robbed me again, or I get it and my opinion of Capcom lately slightly improves as I'm enjoying one the best games ever created all over again.

Goddamn it. Why's it got to be twenty bucks?

It's half-assed in that it's RE4 in HD and nothing more. Do you like RE4 and plan on replaying it? Do you have an HDTV? Then it's well worth it. The other console versions look like ass. This is a big improvement, quick and dirty as it is.

cvxfreak

Yeah, I really have to throw my recommendation behind the 360 for RE4. The controller feels like a better fit for the game, given the placement of the analog sticks and the (in my opinion) slightly better look. The load times are a bit faster on the 360 as well (such as when saving the game).

Varshes

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, I really have to throw my recommendation behind the 360 for RE4. The controller feels like a better fit for the game, given the placement of the analog sticks and the (in my opinion) slightly better look. The load times are a bit faster on the 360 as well (such as when saving the game).

360 Version Get! Was hard to resist half off on PS3, but I do prefer the 360 controller.

JoeFenix

The framerate in the second chapter definitely takes a hit on the PS3 version (haven't tried 360) compared to the GC/Wii version. Wii version still the best imo, it just feels better but this is certainly still enjoyable.

I wouldn't have paid 20$ for it but for 10$ (psn+) it's halfway decent. Really wish Capcom would stop being cheap and lame and fucking start doing shit the right way though ;(

cvxfreak said:
Ladies and gentlemen, game over!

baekshi

Banned
you guys got robbed.. who ever bought re4
wEl9gl.jpg
36jEYl.jpg

Davey Cakes

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Someone said earlier that with Wii controls he aced the shooting gallery without failing once. That's good evidence that the pointer controls make you too accurate. Those shooting galleries are supposed to be quite difficult.
I had a lot more fun with the shooting galleries in the Wii version, just because pointer-based shooting is inherently a blast. Target test games like Link's Crossbow Training are just simple point-and-shoot goodness and it was satisfying to collect all the caps in RE4 that way.

That said, I will agree that the shooting galleries became TOO easy with the Wii controls, and that's just obviously because they weren't made for the control style. But I still think they were enjoyable just in a pure shooting sense.

Using the standard controls make things almost TOO hard, in my opinion. There were especially annoyances like the moving dynamite which is just a bitch to hit. I'm all for a good challenge (I think RE4's professional mode, with either control styles, is compelling), but there's a balance that needs to be struck, y'know?

There are obviously two sides to the "standard vs. Wiimote" deal, but I can't really go with either. I agree that the Wii controls make the game easier in the sense of aiming, but the general mechanics still allow for a satisfying shooting experience even if it's a bit unbalanced at times. Additionally, I think a lot of you put too much weight into the easier aiming; there are still many aspects of the game that can make it difficult while using the Wiimote control style. Enemy timing, placement, and weapon usage (projectiles mostly) all still come into play quite a bit since you still have to stop to shoot and you still have to pay attention to your surroundings. The Wiimote bashers act like the easier control method destroys the aspects of strategy with the game, where that's not completely true.

It is funny, though, how much easier some areas of the game can be when you don't have to rely on the red laser. One of the best examples is the lift near the end of the Village area. This area can be a bit frustrating without having the rifle, but in the Wii version you can basically snipe enemies off of their lifts with just the pistol. Broken? Maybe. Satisfying? Hell yes. A good example of "easier, but still fun in a different sort of way" which is how I think of RE4 with Wiimote controls in general.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rash said:
I had a lot more fun with the shooting galleries in the Wii version, just because pointer-based shooting is inherently a blast. Target test games like Link's Crossbow Training are just simple point-and-shoot goodness and it was satisfying to collect all the caps in RE4 that way.

That said, I will agree that the shooting galleries became TOO easy with the Wii controls, and that's just obviously because they weren't made for the control style. But I still think they were enjoyable just in a pure shooting sense.

Using the standard controls make things almost TOO hard, in my opinion. There were especially annoyances like the moving dynamite which is just a bitch to hit. I'm all for a good challenge (I think RE4's professional mode, with either control styles, is compelling), but there's a balance that needs to be struck, y'know?

There are obviously two sides to the "standard vs. Wiimote" deal, but I can't really go with either. I agree that the Wii controls make the game easier in the sense of aiming, but the general mechanics still allow for a satisfying shooting experience even if it's a bit unbalanced at times. Additionally, I think a lot of you put too much weight into the easier aiming; there are still many aspects of the game that can make it difficult while using the Wiimote control style. Enemy timing, placement, and weapon usage (projectiles mostly) all still come into play quite a bit since you still have to stop to shoot and you still have to pay attention to your surroundings. The Wiimote bashers act like the easier control method destroys the aspects of strategy with the game, where that's not completely true.

It is funny, though, how much easier some areas of the game can be when you don't have to rely on the red laser. One of the best examples is the lift near the end of the Village area. This area can be a bit frustrating without having the rifle, but in the Wii version you can basically snipe enemies off of their lifts with just the pistol. Broken? Maybe. Satisfying? Hell yes. A good example of "easier, but still fun in a different sort of way" which is how I think of RE4 with Wiimote controls in general.

Resident Evil 4 is supposed to be hard. It's a deliberate design choice. There was nothing sloppy about it. While the Wiimote doesn't destroy the basic enemy layout or boss specific strategies, it renders certain aspects of the guns completely obsolete... something that was carefully planned out in the game, such as handling (turning speed) and accuracy. It acts as an equalizer, which is generally not a good thing. (and that dynamite had a giant hitbox. The game was super generous there)

I've played three versions (not PC) of RE4 to full completion (unlocked Handcannon).

I'm all for having more options but the Wii-mote aiming is not fundamentally better as some people are suggesting. In fact, I would basically say all enemies are on an extreme handicap as a result of the Wii-mote controls, and playing with Wii-mote controls will always be essentially several difficulty levels below what the original control scheme intended. If you're fine with playing on easy mode, then there's really no problem. But just like playing on easy mode, you won't learn certain aspects/intricacies of the game.

I think you're not placing enough weight on the controls, frankly, but that's where we'll just have to agree to disagree. In addition to the aim assist, the Wii-mote also allowed for auto-knifing, which takes tension out of the game.

Was playing with Wii-controls fun? Sure. But I would never recommend for someone to only play with the motion controls and never touch the game again.

Teknoman

baekshi said:
It is $10.00 with PSN+

DIOS MIO.

GuardianE said:
Resident Evil 4 is supposed to be hard. It's a deliberate design choice. There was nothing sloppy about it. While the Wiimote doesn't destroy the basic enemy layout or boss specific strategies, it renders certain aspects of the guns completely obsolete... something that was carefully planned out in the game, such as handling (turning speed) and accuracy. It acts as an equalizer, which is generally not a good thing. (and that dynamite had a giant hitbox. The game was super generous there)

I've played three versions (not PC) of RE4 to full completion (unlocked Handcannon).

I'm all for having more options but the Wii-mote aiming is not fundamentally better as some people are suggesting. In fact, I would basically say all enemies are on an extreme handicap as a result of the Wii-mote controls, and playing with Wii-mote controls will always be essentially several difficulty levels below what the original control scheme intended. If you're fine with playing on easy mode, then there's really no problem. But just like playing on easy mode, you won't learn certain aspects/intricacies of the game.

I think you're not placing enough weight on the controls, frankly, but that's where we'll just have to agree to disagree. In addition to the aim assist, the Wii-mote also allowed for auto-knifing, which takes tension out of the game.

Was playing with Wii-controls fun? Sure. But I would never recommend for someone to only play with the motion controls and never touch the game again.

Auto knifing?

GuardianE said:

Exactly why I bailed on RE4:Wii and never bother with RE5: Gold Edition

Also, don't know what the hell people were complaining about the analog response in the PS3 version

It's completely fine and more or less in line with GC version.

And trust me, i'm veeery anal about analog calibration in any title and have flat not even bothered with titles because the aiming was soooo fucked. An example would be Far Cry2 for consoles, which is basically the epitome of how you don't setup your analogs. Crysis2 on the other hand is probably the most recent example of how you get it perfect.

JoeFenix said:
The framerate in the second chapter definitely takes a hit on the PS3 version (haven't tried 360) compared to the GC/Wii version. Wii version still the best imo, it just feels better but this is certainly still enjoyable.

I wouldn't have paid 20$ for it but for 10$ (psn+) it's halfway decent. Really wish Capcom would stop being cheap and lame and fucking start doing shit the right way though ;(

See that's not cool to hear =/

I only paid $10 for the PSN version, so i'm not opposed to getting the 360 version if need be. I would imagine it's Region Blocked anyway though =(

I have no clue what the complaints are about, this is incredible! Finally RE4 looks good on an HD set. I dont know how it is with your TVs but RE4 on my HDTV has always looked HORRIBLE. Jaggies everywhere, muddy visuals, just a disaster. This version is beautiful, everything is cleared up and it finally looks as nice as it did on an SD set way back when.

Why are people expecting some kind of remake? It is what it is, it is JUST RE4 in HD, no more. That is what a ton of us have been wanting. I don't need a remaster, a remake graphically, I just need it to look nice on my TV.

SkylineRKR

After expecting something close to a train wreck, I'm pleasantly surprised. Graphics still kind of hold up. The aspect ratio is a bit borked though. Its just zoomed from letterbox, looks off.

But as others said, its looking better on HDTV than any other version out there.

MCD

I'm not a RE4 fan (I only watch my brother play it) but it looks clean enough on my 1080p set.

Clean enough as in it is better than any SD blurry ass version before it.

Really, if you like RE4 and want to play it on your new shiny HDTV then this is the only version for you.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
God, this game is still so fucking amazing and it doesn't look like a blurry piece of shit on my TV anymore! I <3 it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
AgentOtaku said:
I only paid $10 for the PSN version, so i'm not opposed to getting the 360 version if need be. I would imagine it's Region Blocked anyway though =(

I believe it's region blocked, a couple of pages back mentioned that they couldn't get the game on their AUS 360. :/

Anyway, I'm where the Ganados start having the worm heads, great fun.

AgentOtaku said:
Also, don't know what the hell people were complaining about the analog response in the PS3 version

It's completely fine and more or less in line with GC version.

And trust me, i'm veeery anal about analog calibration in any title and have flat not even bothered with titles because the aiming was soooo fucked. An example would be Far Cry2 for consoles, which is basically the epitome of how you don't setup your analogs. Crysis2 on the other hand is probably the most recent example of how you get it perfect.

The aiming feels perfect, but the movement is weird. The stick seems to have a big deadzone while moving, you have to push it far for anything to register. Maneuvering and turning while walking in tight spaces can feel awkward.

Game is still amazing and addictive. The atmosphere is intoxicating. It's still one of the most beautiful games just on the strength of its art direction and mood.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
revolverjgw said:
The aiming feels perfect, but the movement is weird. The stick seems to have a big deadzone, you have to push it far for anything to register.

Game is still amazing and addictive. The atmosphere is intoxicating. It's still one of the most beautiful games just on the strength of its art direction and mood.

Shooting has no deadzone. For the walking/rotating part, it needs to reach midpoint, otherwise there's no problem at all.

ULTROS! said:
Shooting has no deadzone. For the walking/rotating part, it needs to reach midpoint, otherwise there's no problem at all.

Yeah, I edited in that the deadzone is only with the movement. The aiming, as I said, feels perfect.

It's nothing major and it hasn't gotten me killed or anything, but I immediately noticed it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Now that I've played the first few sections of chapter 1, I can give some impressions.

1. The PS3 controls seem fine to me, though I've only played the PS2 version before. I don't really see how they could be substantially better with a 360 pad.

2. The text looks bad (laziness on Capcom's part) and the saving takes too long, which is something I've noticed in a few HD ports.

3. I can see why opinions are split on whether this looks good or not. RE4 has gritty, high frequency textures that are supposed to look realistic. When the game is re-rendered at 720p, the textures remain gritty and without filtering the image is sometimes ugly. But that's what RE4 looks like. Comparing it to any GOW HD remaster is silly, because the texture work in those games is more abstract and scales very nicely and cleanly as a result. Even if Capcom had redone all the textures in higher resolution, the overall image would still be gritty, with lots of detail crammed into a small area. Some filtering and AA would have been great though.

4. I've seen slowdown a couple of times, but only when I blow up 6 guys at once with a grenade. I can live with that.

Overall, it's a disappointing port relative to how special the game is, but not really relative to other HD remasters (shitty text aside). It's absolutely worth it to be able to play it on PS3 and with decent image quality on an HDTV.

I'm surprised how well the textures hold up. They're clearly last-gen, but at no point do they ever distract me, they look crisp unless you walk up and start humping them. The Eurogamer review is so full of shit.

ULTROS!

revolverjgw said:
I'm surprised how well the textures hold up. They're clearly last-gen, but at no point do they ever distract me, they look crisp unless you walk up and start humping them. The Eurogamer review is so full of shit.

It was one of the best looking games last gen. On par with FFXII, Silent Hill 2 and 3, and Shadow of the Colossus.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
revolverjgw said:

100% agreed that the Eurogamer reviewer had an extreme perspective (i.e. one that is unlikely to generalize to the average player) on the texture situation. Combine that with his apparently inflated expectations for the HD-ification process, and that explains the tone of the review.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
$20 per game is weirdly expensive for this... And because its PSN/XBL there will probably never be a meaningful Steam-style sale. I'm not sure I'll ever buy this. It's appealing to me but I'm just not motivated by that pricing.

zerotol

Banned
Spent 2 hours playing it on the 360 tonight. Damn, it's good to be back playing this game after so long! Played through it numerous times on the Gamecube and played the Wii version for the extras. I feel like I'm using the knife a lot more though.

ULTROS!

BocoDragon said:
$20 per game is weirdly expensive for this... And because its PSN/XBL there will probably never be a meaningful Steam-style sale. I'm not sure I'll ever buy this. It's appealing to me but I'm just not motivated by that pricing.

Unless you're a PS+ member, it's $10.00 each only.

Teknoman

luka said:
LiN made it worthwhile for me. I don't even have Move. :p

BeautifulMemory said:
DLC with Chris and Jill. Co-op with a friend. That's how and what RE5 could've been

Thats the thing. I already grabbed both DLC back when they first hit, and I didnt get a move controller+navcon until the Gamestop sale a few days ago. So really it would just be me selling my current copy and grabbing RE5 gold for move controls...because Capcom couldnt patch the original for some reason.

BocoDragon

ULTROS! said:
Unless you're a PS+ member, it's $10.00 each only.
That is much more reasonable... but I'm not a member.

I feel that $15 would be reasonable. I just paid $15 for XBL Radiant Silvergun, and a physical copy of that would run me $150-200. They want me to pay $20 for a game I could get for $10 on Wii?

BocoDragon

hey_it's_that_dog said:
No announcements about that presently, but it could happen.
I could see this being offered in a package much later, like the digital downloads of Q Games "Qubed", Konami Arcade Classics, or the Dreamcast Collection. No one should be holding their breath, though.

Teknoman

zychi said:
Is this and cv getting released on disc? Id love to rebuy it but im not doing any dd on consoles anymore.

If you want the Japanese / Asia version, yeah. Doesnt have crazy DRM if thats what you're worried about.

revolverjgw said:
The aiming feels perfect, but the movement is weird. The stick seems to have a big deadzone while moving, you have to push it far for anything to register. Maneuvering and turning while walking in tight spaces can feel awkward.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and can confirm that that same exact deadzone existed in the Wii version when played with GameCube controller. I suppose we're all just used to RE5's controls ...at least I know I am
If anything, I think there's a bigger deadzone on the right stick when viewing surroundings. Feels like the D-Pad on Wiimote.

I just finished downloading it - 360 version - and I want my money back. I can't believe neither of the two measly control options they offer have the original button mappings. This is just like the goddamned Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube all over again. After years of playing this, I can't stop pressing the "right" button to fire, run, or get into the inventory screen. None of these are in the same place as the Gamecube (or PS2) version, and they can't be changed.

And I shouldn't have to adapt. How can they not:

A. Have a control set with the original button layout.
B. Have a simple button mapping function.

It's ridiculous.

Top Bottom