• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Ellis Kim

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Strange people are so opposed to the price when the MSRP for the wii version seems to average for about the same on any given day.
People get more price conscious about console digital downloads than not.

Personally, RE4 HD isn't worth the price of admission for a few reasons:
- It doesn't support Move despite RE5 and RE4Wii, so a big What the Fuck right there
- It's a 1000g point game on 360, but no platinum on PS3? What the fuck.

So no thanks. I already double dipped on the Wii version, and I've barely made progress on that. I have no plans on paying for a third time until the above has been fixed, which knowing Capcom, will be never in my the PS3's lifetime.

kuYuri

Got the PSN version with PS+ discount. Maybe it's because I'm on a 32 in. HDTV, but the jaggies aren't very noticeable to me. Game looks pretty good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
AgentOtaku said:
Strange people are so opposed to the price when the MSRP for the wii version seems to average for about the same on any given day.
I see the Wii version all the time for $12 Canadian, so.....

Ellis Kim

Banned
Leondexter said:
I just finished downloading it - 360 version - and I want my money back. I can't believe neither of the two measly control options they offer have the original button mappings. This is just like the goddamned Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube all over again. After years of playing this, I can't stop pressing the "right" button to fire, run, or get into the inventory screen. None of these are in the same place as the Gamecube (or PS2) version, and they can't be changed.

And I shouldn't have to adapt. How can they not:

A. Have a control set with the original button layout.
B. Have a simple button mapping function.

It's ridiculous.
:( :( :(

360 version's no good, ps3 version's no good.

Oh well.

BocoDragon said:
I see the Wii version all the time for $12 Canadian, so.....
That too. I got RE4Wii for hella cheap on Amazon.

AgentOtaku said:
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and can confirm that that same exact deadzone existed in the Wii version when played with GameCube controller. I suppose we're all just used to RE5's controls ...at least I know I am
If anything, I think there's a bigger deadzone on the right stick when viewing surroundings. Feels like the D-Pad on Wiimote.

The right analog stick camera is just weird. It's like some unholy mix of digital and analog input. It jerks around uncontrollably while I'm making minute adjustments. It really sucks, a functional camera would be great since I spend so much time just taking in the surroundings.

Ellis Kim

Banned
revolverjgw said:
The right analog stick camera is just weird. It's like some unholy mix of digital and analog input. It jerks around uncontrollably while I'm making minute adjustments. It really sucks, a functional camera would be great since I spend so much time just taking in the surroundings.
I blame the C-stick's odd nature.

Danielsan

Between the shitty trophy implementation (no platinum what..), missing effects, lacking controls and just in general a total lack of effort on Capcom's behalf this really doesn't seem worth the money.

Teknoman

Danielsan said:
Between the shitty trophy implementation (no platinum what..), missing effects, lacking controls and just in general a total lack of effort on Capcom's behalf this really doesn't seem worth the money.

Only one missing effect that most probably wont end up noticing anyway (hopefully). Game looks fine in action (just finished downloading the PS3 version). Controls seem just fine too.

Seriously, the game looks really nice and the whole "crappier than SD" was a false statement in every sense. Honestly i'm not seeing anything wrong with the font or HUD. Playing on a 37in (which isnt exactly small imo) and nothing is really sticking out like a sore thumb, from the lighting to the general sharpness of everything.

Of course i'm just in the very beginning. Not sure whats up with no platinum though.

revolverjgw said:
Did Ashley always have such bouncy boobs? HD really brings out their jiggliness.

Yes.

EmSeta said:
Who actually bothers to get platinum trophies anyway?

Quite a lot of people going by comments in this thread, serious business this chevo stuff.

Im thinking i'll get CVX and leave RE4, if they had done a decent job with it I would have probably picked it up but as it stands I can't see any reason to purchase the game for a third time, it's a shame really as I would have liked to give all my monies over just in the hope it would persuade them to bring RE: Remake and Zero over to the PS3/360.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
EmSeta said:

I do.

But I still got this game because:

1. I fucking love RE4, and I haven't even fleshed out the game on the Wii yet.
2. Trophies in any way for RE is a big plus, even if there's no platinum.

Teknoman

kyo_daikun said:
Quite a lot of people going by comments in this thread, serious business this chevo stuff.

Im thinking i'll get CVX and leave RE4, if they had done a decent job with it I would have probably picked it up but as it stands I can't see any reason to purchase the game for a third time, it's a shame really as I would have liked to give all my monies over just in the hope it would persuade them to bring RE: Remake and Zero over to the PS3/360.

In the few minutes i've played so far, imo it is a decent job aside from the missing platinums. The lighting is great, the controls are fine, the font and hud dont look odd in any way, and the game is pretty sharp. I've only got Cube and Wii experience, so this is my first time playing RE4 with the Dual Shock. Maybe its because I played RE5 on PS3 as well, but im not having any problems aiming, meleeing, or knifeing.

I do find myself wanting to run up and stomp people though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
EmSeta said:

How about the laziness on Capcom's side? Just the lack of quality control to have nobody go "something is off with this achievement/trophy stuff here". Do I care about trophies? Yes, I do, but I'm not even a big enough whore to say I would have even platinumed 4 as I hate replaying games multiple times. Still, trophies add a layer of gameplay to something here as I've already played these games before. It's the only draw for me to play through these games AGAIN. That or Move support. It's not a big deal for me, I simply don't buy the games, but man I'm sick of reading "trophies are dumb yo who cares". It's an extra feature that many people do enjoy, and if you don't, just ignore them.

Teknoman

Hmm...just realized Sonic 4 ep.1, Fat Princess, Costume Quest, and Scott Pilgrim dont have platinums. Maybe there is an actual reason behind "Capcom laziness" behind it?

Teknoman said:
Hmm...just realized Sonic 4 ep.1, Fat Princess, Costume Quest, and Scott Pilgrim dont have platinums. Maybe there is an actual reason behind "Capcom laziness" behind it?

They weren't full price games, how much would RE4 be without the discount? £10+?

It's more in the realm of the splinter cell/ god of war games anyway which did have Platinum trophies.

Technically costume quest has more trophies than RE4 if you count the extra DLC :p

Fixed2BeBroken said:
anyone able to screen shot what the control schemes are for the 360? it will be my deciding factor on whether i purchase this or not

RE4HD360controls.jpg

Here are the two options you get. Where's the logic? B is unused in both, they moved the inventory screen (status) off the face buttons, put the map, of all things, where that used to be ('cause we use that a lot, wtf?) and change the "everything" A button to X and run/reload to A. What's even weirder is that A and X do the same thing in most menus, as if they forgot to unmap A from everything.

I'm sure it's all fine for people who haven't played and replayed this over the last several years. I'm adapting, but of course, just when it's do-or-die and I need to react without thinking, I reload instead of kicking and get chewed to death.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Leondexter said:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/leondexter/RE4HD360controls.jpg[IMG]

Here are the two options you get. Where's the logic? B is unused in both, they moved the inventory screen (status) off the face buttons, put the map, of all things, where that used to be ('cause we use that a lot, wtf?) and change the "everything" A button to X and run/reload to A. What's even weirder is that A and X do the same thing in most menus, as if they forgot to unmap A from everything.

I'm sure it's all fine for people who haven't played and replayed this over the last several years. I'm adapting, but of course, just when it's do-or-die and I need to react without thinking, I reload instead of kicking and get chewed to death.[/QUOTE]
On the Japanese PS2 port the controls were basically the same, except circle is used as select/confirm (which is standard there, and also explains why X and A do the same thing in the US version). That's where the scheme came from. They didn't mess with the controls, that's how they always were, they just changed them for the American PS2 port for some reason and "corrected" them here.

[QUOTE=gogogow]What the hell is wrong with Capcom. It's easier to just straight port the controls than coming up with a customized one! They've kept everything "as is", there is no AA, better textures, better framerate etc., yet they fucked with the controls. smh.[/QUOTE]
Again, nothing was "fucked" with. This was the normal Japanese layout.

gogogow

What the hell is wrong with Capcom. It's easier to just straight port the controls than coming up with a customized one! They've kept everything "as is", there is no AA, better textures, better framerate etc., yet they fucked with the controls. smh.

randomwab

Leondexter said:
I'm sure it's all fine for people who haven't played and replayed this over the last several years. I'm adapting, but of course, just when it's do-or-die and I need to react without thinking, I reload instead of kicking and get chewed to death.

Oh come on. I've replayed RE4 more times than I'm willing to admit on every available platform. The new controls took me 10 minutes to get used to. If anything, they're better because my thumb rests over both A and X which makes QTEs very comfortable. The bigger jump for me was relearning to aim with the left stick.

Also,Has this version been dumbed down? I seem to be getting a hell of a lot of money, more than I ever remember having at given times. And getting the bottlecaps has been piss easy so far. I remember that being somewhat difficult on the Cube/PS2.

luka said:
Again, nothing was "fucked" with. This was the normal Japanese layout.

No, it wasn't. The original game is the Gamecube game, and the A button is the shoot/action button in every region's version. The Gamecube's A button equates to the A button's position (and letter) on the 360. Pretty easy logic, but they fucked it up.

I don't see how the (incorrect) button mapping they used in a previous port from another region is at all relevant. They screwed up before, therefore this isn't a screw-up? I don't think so.

randomwab said:
Oh come on. I've replayed RE4 more times than I'm willing to admit on every available platform. The new controls took me 10 minutes to get used to. If anything, they're better because my thumb rests over both A and X which makes QTEs very comfortable. The bigger jump for me was relearning to aim with the left stick.

I said, I'm adapting. And so are you. That doesn't make this any less dumb.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Leondexter said:
No, it wasn't. The original game is the Gamecube game, and the A button is the shoot/action button in every region's version. The Gamecube's A button equates to the A button's position (and letter) on the 360. Pretty easy logic, but they fucked it up.

I don't see how the (incorrect) button mapping they used in a previous port from another region is at all relevant. They screwed up before, therefore this isn't a screw-up? I don't think so.
When they adapted the game for a controller with symmetrical buttons, that is the layout they chose. Regardless of whether you agree with it, it's the standardized format they went with for all modern controllers - RE5 with 'traditional' control scheme has the same layout as well. The decision was made to change it long before this port, and they didn't have the 360's letter arrangements in mind when they did it.

I'm just explaining why it happened - and why B does nothing and A does everything. That's the reason. Live with it or leave it. Or just keep being angry.

I always used the dpad to move in RE4 on ps2, switching to the analog to aim, so as long as aiming is fine I won't really get that upset.

Button layout is the RE5 layout. I see no issues there.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm in the castle now, guess I'm progressing pretty fast (6 hours in). :p

randomwab

ULTROS! said:
I'm in the castle now, guess I'm progressing pretty fast (6 hours in). :p

I left off at the island last night, and i think my save was 12 hours although at least one hour of that was me idling. Only hiccup I've had was using all of my shotgun ammo on Verdugo, only to realise it wasn't going to do the job and using the rocket I was savingfor Salazar instead. Even then, I was able to just buy another rocket straight away. I've seriously got so much money in this playthrough. It's making me crave my Pro.

Curufinwe

StuBurns said:
It doesn't have the original controls or RE5's 'D' controls?

I played RE 5 using the "C" controls so I'm glad RE 4 uses A for run/reload and X for shoot on the 360 version.

I wish EVERY game let you map the buttons to whatever you want, but alas, developers think they know best.

sajj316

I can deal with the graphics. I originally played RE4 on the PS3 during the whole it's scaling/it's not scaling debacle. I ended up playing the game in progressive mode.

What I'm concerned about is the framerate. Is it mostly 30 fps with a few hiccups here and there or a stutter fest?

ULTROS!

Just a question, was RECXV designed for the PS1? I saw a PSone ESRB rating for it though.

Fry

IGN about the graphics:

Graphics
The worst part of the package. These upscaled graphics actually make the environments look worse than they did before.

Did they bother anyone?

This review is for PS3 though, I'm on Xbox. Don't know if there's any difference.

I bought this last night for 360 and played for around 45 minutes. It looks as good as I expected it to on a 40" TV. Sure, it's a little rough around the edges, but it looks a lot better than the Wii version.

Little disappointed by the control scheme - could really have done with right stick aim. The Wii Edition is definitely better in this regard - aiming with the Wiimote was a revelation. But, after being slightly annoyed by having to aim with the left stick, it took me all of 20 minutes to get used to it and now it's fine. Camera controls are also shonky. It's a 3D game, so I don't understand why they couldn't give it a proper 3D camera so players could have a proper look at the surroundings.

Oh, and as for cheevos - you can get 1000GS, but they're chopped up into only a few high-point achievements. Shows a lack of imagination/effort on Capcom's part. Especially seeing as the descriptions give major plot details away. I'd be annoyed had I not completed the game multiple times already. It's not hard to make them "secret achievements".

Other than that, it's Resi 4. Any excuse to play it again.

Magnus said:
Tell me all the unlockables and modes (pro, mercs, separate ways, etc) are in these versions?

Separate Ways is definitely in there because it has its own leaderboard. Not sure about everything else, but I'd be surprised if they weren't in there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Teknoman said:
Auto knifing?

Waggling the Wii-mote will initiate knifing without needing to aim. If you stand over a knocked down enemy and start waggling, Leon will bend over and start knifing.

RedSwirl

Don't mind left stick aiming at all, and I don't see how right stick aiming would help at all since you can't even aim while moving. Maybe that's because I played through all of RE5 with the "Type A" control scheme (strafing did nothing for me).

Maybe it's just because I still don't identify RE4 and 5 as third person shooters, at least not conventional ones. I don't remember, but what stick do you aim with in Dead Space? Because that game in my opinion is the only current gen title that really took after RE4 in mechanics.

SkylineRKR

Its been 5 years since I played RE4, in that meantime I did play a reasonable amount of RE5 (on A setup) and thats why I was instantly used to RE4's controls. Maybe the menu should've been on Triangle though.

Fry8 said:
IGN about the graphics:

Did they bother anyone?

This review is for PS3 though, I'm on Xbox. Don't know if there's any difference.
anyone complaining about the graphics needs to look at RE4 on an HDTV (none CRT) or needs to compare the PS2 version to this.

RedSwirl said:
Don't mind left stick aiming at all, and I don't see how right stick aiming would help at all since you can't even aim while moving. Maybe that's because I played through all of RE5 with the "Type A" control scheme (strafing did nothing for me).

Maybe it's just because I still don't identify RE4 and 5 as third person shooters, at least not conventional ones. I don't remember, but what stick do you aim with in Dead Space? Because that game in my opinion is the only current gen title that really took after RE4 in mechanics.
right stick. you can move (slowly) and shoot at the same time in Dead Space.

i wish they'd left the Type A controls the default for the west in RE5. it was so weird having to go into controls and set it from D to A.

Fry8 said:
IGN about the graphics:

Did they bother anyone?

aaaand this is why you don't listen to the online press

This is embaressing

Eusis

Their argument was about how upscaling like that makes all the flaws more apparent that the lower resolutions masked; the fact there's a bunch of graphical mods on PC is probably telling. I wouldn't really worry about it, it's the kind of thing you should kind of expect from just about any last gen game being ported up like this, not like it'd be anywhere near as severe as seeing many PS1 games like Metal Gear Solid 1 in 720p.

Eusis said:
Their argument was about how upscaling like that makes all the flaws more apparent that the lower resolutions masked; the fact there's a bunch of graphical mods on PC is probably telling. I wouldn't really worry about it, it's the kind of thing you should kind of expect from just about any last gen game being ported up like this, not like it'd be anywhere near as severe as seeing many PS1 games like Metal Gear Solid 1 in 720p.
it still looks better than the blurry dithered mess that is RE4 on a modern HDTV. there isn't anywhere that looks worse in HD, even if many of the textures fail to compare to modern HD games.

and the PC version wishes it had the GameCube environments. one of the reasons the mod community leapt on RE4 on PC was because it was the inferior PS2 version. if i remember correctly, one of the first mods was to give the PC version the gamecube textures.

SkylineRKR

It was because EG's review that I went in with bottom low expectations, as I know how shitty original RE4 looks on HDTV. But RE4 HD turns out to look just fine on my V20. EG was talking shit when they claimed it didn't look better than SD.

Top Bottom