• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think most reviewers are struggling with the fact that the smoke and mirrors used in the original RE4 have been cast away.

Capcom used several creative visual tricks to maximize performance of the game in situations that would otherwise be impossible. For example, the standard Ganado has at least three different character models... different polygon models depending on where they are in a cutscene. The low resolution masked a lot of these tricks, but in HD they're there for the world to see. Correct me if there's something more to it than this.

AkuMifune

Banned
SkylineRKR said:
It was because EG's review that I went in with bottom low expectations, as I know how shitty original RE4 looks on HDTV. But RE4 HD turns out to look just fine on my V20. EG was talking shit when they claimed it didn't look better than SD.

Agreed. Going in expecting the worst I was pleasantly surprised how clean it is. It's the definitive version and I'm really happy to have picked it up despite my early misgivings.

KageMaru

plagiarize said:
anyone complaining about the graphics needs to look at RE4 on an HDTV (none CRT) or needs to compare the PS2 version to this.

Yeah, I played the PS2 and PC versions on my TV and the HD version looks far better than both.

Xtyle

You guys notice that Leon's right shoulder on the jacket has a bad UV on a triangle? ......
You won't be able to unsee
:(

Koyuga

Has anyone else found issue with the audio quality? Some of the sounds feel cheap or muffled, like how the PS2 version was. I hope they didn't use the same audio files :/

Defunkled

The GameTrailers review said this is an "up-scaled PS2 version." That's straight up wrong, right? It's based on the GameCube version.

Defunkled said:
The GameTrailers review said this is an "up-scaled PS2 version." That's straight up wrong, right? It's based on the GameCube version.
right.

let's also not forget that RE4 in SD isn't even in full SD it's 640 x 360 originally. this is a 4 x resolution upgrade.

mattp

Defunkled said:
it's neither upscaled nor the ps2 version

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
By the way, just for kicks, I tried this out on my old Sony HD CRT display. The game looks absolutely killer on that display. It can't fully resolve 720p (true of nearly every HDTV CRT), but it accepts and displays it. The resulting image is very clean and smooth while the lower quality assets are slightly obscured by the lower resolution. It's so much cleaner than the GC version on the same TV.

On my plasma, well, I still think it looks good enough, but you can definitely see its age (as expected). Unlike some of the other HD collections, RE4 was designed with a very realistic appearance to its environments. I feel it was one of the first games to attempt to deliver the kind of detail we've grown used to in Unreal Engine 3 games. It's very gritty and full of debris. As it was originally displayed in a very low resolution (sub 640x480), however, many of its limitations were hidden by the CRTs of that era.

Look at something like MGS2, for instance. That game uses very simple, clean shapes to form its environments. It doesn't attempt to render gritty details and, instead, focuses on very clean surfaces and post processing. It's basically Super Mario World (MGS2) to Donkey Kong Country (RE4) in terms of how they've aged.

I think a little extra post processing could really have helped RE4. Would have also been excellent if they ported it to MT Framework and enhanced the lighting. Still, as it is, the visuals are the best you can get without resorting to emulation (which isn't perfect).

I really dislike how reviews keep throwing around the word "upscaled", however. That implies that the rendering resolution is still very low and scaled to 720p. 1280x720 is the native rendering resolution of these games. There is no upscaling occurring here.

dark10x said:
By the way, just for kicks, I tried this out on my old Sony HD CRT display. The game looks absolutely killer on that display. It can't fully resolve 720p (true of nearly every HDTV CRT), but it accepts and displays it. The resulting image is very clean and smooth while the lower quality assets are slightly obscured by the lower resolution. It's so much cleaner than the GC version on the same TV.

On my plasma, well, I still think it looks good enough, but you can definitely see its age (as expected). Unlike some of the other HD collections, RE4 was designed with a very realistic appearance to its environments. I feel it was one of the first games to attempt to deliver the kind of detail we've grown used to in Unreal Engine 3 games. It's very gritty and full of debris. As it was originally displayed in a very low resolution (sub 640x480), however, many of its limitations were hidden by the CRTs of that era.

Look at something like MGS2, for instance. That game uses very simple, clean shapes to form its environments. It doesn't attempt to render gritty details and, instead, focuses on very clean surfaces and post processing. It's basically Super Mario World (MGS2) to Donkey Kong Country (RE4) in terms of how they've aged.

I think a little extra post processing could really have helped RE4. Would have also been excellent if they ported it to MT Framework and enhanced the lighting. Still, as it is, the visuals are the best you can get without resorting to emulation (which isn't perfect).

I really dislike how reviews keep throwing around the word "upscaled", however. That implies that the rendering resolution is still very low and scaled to 720p. 1280x720 is the native rendering resolution of these games. There is no upscaling occurring here.
i really wish i had one of those old CRT HDTV monsters. this game is made for one of them. hell, it has overscan compensation in the options menu.

i'll let experts be the judge next week, but from what i saw of CVX, that didn't look 720p native. maybe some blurring going on for anti aliasing, but it sure looked overly soft.

Mithos

Gold Member
dark10x said:

*and lots more text*
Thanks nice to hear because I'll be playing on a "HD CRT", or at least the way you describe it above (Philips 32PW9551, hdmi input @ 720p or 1080i).

UPDATE:
Downloading Re4 HD . . . . . . . . .

KageMaru

plagiarize said:
right.

let's also not forget that RE4 in SD isn't even in full SD it's 640 x 360 originally. this is a 4 x resolution upgrade.

I'm not even sure RE4 is full 720p, there were thick black borders when I loaded up the game last night. Waiting on someone from B3D or DF to reveal what the actual resolution is. I'm pretty understanding to some of the other minor complaints regarding the graphics, but it's pretty sad if they couldn't even manage 1280x720 in this game.

Curufinwe

Defunkled said:

The one person who pointed out their factual error in the comments has a -24 approval rating. Ignorant reviewer, ignorant readers.

GuardianE said:
I think most reviewers are struggling with the fact that the smoke and mirrors used in the original RE4 have been cast away.

Capcom used several creative visual tricks to maximize performance of the game in situations that would otherwise be impossible. For example, the standard Ganado has at least three different character models... different polygon models depending on where they are in a cutscene. The low resolution masked a lot of these tricks, but in HD they're there for the world to see. Correct me if there's something more to it than this.

You can see them, but they're still hard to spot. I think the game looks fantastic, though it's kind of funny that it still looks better on Dolphin. If it weren't for the sound issues on Dolphin, I wouldn't have bothered with this.

Xtyle

K' Dash said:
Spoiler tag that shhiieeet!

It's there...IE, not a joke...kind of sad they even left bad UV in really considering you see it up close whenever you aim. I think this is new in the updated Leon jacket and not in the old version

dark10x

KageMaru said:
I'm not even sure RE4 is full 720p, there were thick black borders when I loaded up the game last night. Waiting on someone from B3D or DF to reveal what the actual resolution is. I'm pretty understanding to some of the other minor complaints regarding the graphics, but it's pretty sad if they couldn't even manage 1280x720 in this game.
There is overscan adjustment in the menu (which has become common these days). That is why you're seeing black borders.

Xtyle

I read somewhere that Leon's belt light doesn't have a light beam (fake light fog??) anymore and only has the light cone effect. So to whoever says it is only missing 1 effect, apparently it is missing more than 1. Not that it affects gameplay but it is an annoyance

Kind of pathetic that so many people are going to end up playing through with black borders because they didn't know there were screen adjustments in the Options menu. No idea why Capcom didn't just make the full widescreen default.

Anyway...
Are bottlecaps/shooting range any harder to beat on Professional?

I'd rather do my Normal playthrough without worrying about that and then do that on my Pro playthrough.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How the heck do you get the bottle caps? I only got two out of the many.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
jetsetfluken said:
Anyway...

I'd rather do my Normal playthrough without worrying about that and then do that on my Pro playthrough.

I don't think they change at all.

ULTROS! said:
How the heck do you do the bottle caps? I only got two out of the many.

You just get high scores in the shooting gallery. Do each several times (there are actually six separate formations, I think, at each location). I'm pretty sure you have to get close to perfect runs for all of them.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
bigben85 said:
It's there...IE, not a joke...kind of sad they even left bad UV in really considering you see it up close whenever you aim. I think this is new in the updated Leon jacket and not in the old version
They didn't really update anything though. This is more or less a direct dump of the original assets, that's why you're noticing problems that weren't visible before.

bigben85 said:
I read somewhere that Leon's belt light doesn't have a light beam (fake light fog??) anymore and only has the light cone effect. So to whoever says it is only missing 1 effect, apparently it is missing more than 1. Not that it affects gameplay but it is an annoyance
The original version never had a visible light beam, that was added to the PS2 port to "compensate" for the lack of real time illumination. The belt light is true to the GC original.

KageMaru

dark10x said:
There is overscan adjustment in the menu (which has become common these days). That is why you're seeing black borders.

Huh, I thought it may have been a cropped resolution, similar to BF3 or Far Cry 2. Didn't think it was for overscan since the borders were rather thick.

Thanks.

venom2124

I feel like an idiot. Is there any way to get 5.1 audio in RE4? I didn't see it in the options. Other than that, I'm loving the ps3 version. No platinum is annoying, but for a game this fun I'll survive.

dark10x said:

HD CRT TV, damn. True blacks, maximum viewing angle, best colors AND (almost) HD?! Can you post some pictures of RE 4 on this TV (and some other content if you will)? :)

Tain

bigben85 said:

I really haven't played much of the GC/Wii versions of RE4, but the screenshots on the marketplace of the 360 release show, like, zero specular mapping. Could it be gone entirely?

AgentOtaku said:
Strange people are so opposed to the price when the MSRP for the wii version seems to average for about the same on any given day.

and if it were upgraded with new textures and move support, it would be $40, and people would still complain about "LOL HD remakes" and about having to re-buy the game. On top of that, Capcom would take liberties to "modernize" it and probably ruin the game balance in the process.

Curufinwe

The lack of the Platinum trophy is baffling. $15 downloadable games like Dead Space Extraction and Dead Nation have one, and judging by this thread the lack of one in RE 4 is directly costing Capcom sales.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
GuardianE said:
You just get high scores in the shooting gallery. Do each several times (there are actually six separate formations, I think, at each location). I'm pretty sure you have to get close to perfect runs for all of them.

Hmm... So how many bottles caps should I be getting in one location?

Teknoman

jetsetfluken said:
Kind of pathetic that so many people are going to end up playing through with black borders because they didn't know there were screen adjustments in the Options menu. No idea why Capcom didn't just make the full widescreen default.

Anyway...

Screen size was the first thing I looked for. Was kinda cool that the game seemed automatically set to the right level for me.

Curufinwe said:
The lack of the Platinum trophy is baffling. $15 downloadable games like Dead Space Extraction and Dead Nation have one, and judging by this thread the lack of one in RE 4 is directly costing Capcom sales.

maybe it cost them 10 sales from the 10 guys that care enough.

zazrx said:
I have never played RE4, is this the one to get then? Worth it?

yes and yes

zazrx said:
360 or PS3? Same thing I'm guessing?
CVX seems to prefer the 360 version. i haven't been able to give both enough time to make a judgement. i'm sticking with the 360 version mainly though because the controller is more similar to the cube one, and i don't much like aiming with the dual shock stick.

Tonza

I've never played this (RE4) and I have playstation plus, so I should probably pick this up?

I am not really a fan of horror games but I did enjoy Dead Space 2, kinda...

Tonza said:
I've never played this (RE4) and I have playstation plus, so I should probably pick this up?

I am not really a fan of horror games but I did enjoy Dead Space 2, kinda...
very much so. for $10 it's a no brainer for first timers.

it remains my favourite game of all time.

Reclaimer

plagiarize said:
very much so. for $10 it's a no brainer for first timers.

it remains my favourite game of all time.
Also one of my favorite games of all time. :)

Checking out the preview screenshots on xbox live marketplace on my TV, the game looks like the contrast was reduced for this version. Does it really look so washed out, or are those just shitty screenshots up on live? The Wii version already looks about the same on my plasma.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
played it last night, after the horrible long download....also downloaded the free RE1-3

i totally forgot the way leon aims, it kinda moves a little while aiming. i thought i was using the move and i was twitching a little or something haha ARGH, i really wish for move controls, cuz thats how i played RE5 ><;;; (when update came out)

Also.....is anybody irritated that on the old psx games, the run and action buttons are switched?!?!?! After playing RE5 and getting used that X is run and SQ is is shoot, then trying out the psx games with no way of revising the controls IRKS ME!

K' Dash

Reclaimer said:
Also one of my favorite games of all time. :)

Checking out the preview screenshots on xbox live marketplace on my TV, the game looks like the contrast was reduced for this version. Does it really look so washed out, or are those just shitty screenshots up on live? The Wii version already looks about the same on my plasma.

The game looks perfect on my 40" bravia, definetly not washed out.

dark10x

GANGSTERKILLER said:
HD CRT TV, damn. True blacks, maximum viewing angle, best colors AND (almost) HD?! Can you post some pictures of RE 4 on this TV (and some other content if you will)? :)
If I have some time, I can try. Taking pictures of CRTs isn't all that easy, though, unfortunately.

That said, I still think my Kuro plasma bests the CRT when it comes to black performance. If anything bright appears on the CRT, it causes the brightness to increase. So, while showing dark material it may appear very dark, the second a brighter hud element is visible you lose some of that. Still very effective and much better than LCDs, but not quite as impressive as the Kuro (which really gives you the impression of jet black in all but the darkest of scenes).

Still, I loves me some CRTs. I have two Sonys still. One SD and one HD "VVega" CRTs. The SD is for my retro room while the HD is actually in the unfinished portion of my basement (so I don't use it often, but it's there if I need it).

Top Bottom