• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Sblargh

Banned
Since it will be possible to do a RE marathon on the PS3 soon, here is the question:
Resident Evil 2: Leon then Claire or Claire then Leon?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Square Triangle said:
Extra costumes will be DLC next week. With color options for $1.99 in two weeks

I honestly cannot tell if you're mocking me or not.

Well played.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm glad my Internet is stopping me from watching the quicklook. I've had it with Brad after his Team Ueda-collection anyway.

Sblargh said:
Since it will be possible to do a RE marathon on the PS3 soon, here is the question:
Resident Evil 2: Leon then Claire or Claire then Leon?

Imo, Leon B scenario is much better than A for plot reasons, while there's not much difference between Claire A and B, so go Claire then Leon.

MattJon

Melchiah said:
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to play the game for the fourth time. =)

BTW, why would you want custom soundtracks for a game like Resident Evil?

Well, I know the game inside out, so I wouldn't mind the option to play music at the same time. I'll be doing the rocket launcher speedrun soon, I'll have to put the ipod on for that one.

Seems like more time was put into this port than RE4, it's cool seeing how the new effects have changed the look of the game.

Teknoman

MattJon said:
Been playing PS3 Code Veronica, random thoughts:

Thanks to the new lighting, the game looks pretty different. There seems to be a fuzzy filter over the screen. The further away Claire is, the blurrier she becomes. Not sure if this is better or worse than the more sterile look of the Dreamcast version.

Having the lighter equipped really highlights the shadows, looks nice. Some of the textures are showing their age though - Steve's clothes, and the portraits in the Private Residence for example. Unlike RE4, the text and menu's are sharp and clear. no custom soundtracks - big surprise there.

PS3 RE4 text and menus looked pretty sharp to me. The title screen could've been better/redone, but thats my only complaint.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Teknoman said:
PS3 RE4 text and menus looked pretty sharp to me. The title screen could've been better/redone, but thats my only complaint.
Title screen? As in the part where it says "Resident Evil" and you get to choose New Game or Options?

MattJon

Teknoman said:

Yeah sorry, I'll amend that slightly. Some of the text in RE4 is blurry, some is sharp. The item descriptions look low res. I'm going off the Japanese version though, might be different for the Western release.

Tried taking a pic of Code Veronica to show off the lighting. Doesn't quite do it justice, but you get the idea (hopefully):

cv.png

tha_devil

MattJon said:
Yeah sorry, I'll amend that slightly. Some of the text in RE4 is blurry, some is sharp. The item descriptions look low res. I'm going off the Japanese version though, might be different for the Western release.

Tried taking a pic of Code Veronica to show off the lighting. Doesn't quite do it justice, but you get the idea (hopefully):

cv.png
REally to bad they didnt do a full blown remake, with much better textures 3d 60fps etc.

I also own the japanese version, i was wondering why does it have the weird mix with english and japanese. Why no japanese voice acting? Why are the menu's in english. But when u select something in the menu its japanese again. (like the controller set-up).

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ridley327 said:
GCN version did have compressed audio, but not to the same ludicrous lengths that they went to on the PS2 version.
Yeah, the PS2 audio was atrocious. I don't even know how they got it to sound that bad.

Melchiah

MattJon said:
Well, I know the game inside out, so I wouldn't mind the option to play music at the same time. I'll be doing the rocket launcher speedrun soon, I'll have to put the ipod on for that one.

Seems like more time was put into this port than RE4, it's cool seeing how the new effects have changed the look of the game.

Ah, I see. I couldn't play any story/atmosphere driven games with anything other than the original music. It would be sacrilege, but I guess that's just me.

Hearing that CVX would be more rushed than RE4 makes me both sad and angry, as it was the last good RE for me, and it would have deserved a proper treatment.

Zeona

Neo Member
Teknoman said:

A few elements were redone and look nice, but the main font (used for "pick up"-prompts, in the "you picked up"-images, the documents you find etc.) is a blurry mess that has not been touched at all.

Teknoman

Zeona said:
A few elements were redone and look nice, but the main font (used for "pick up"-prompts, in the "you picked up"-images, the documents you find etc.) is a blurry mess that has not been touched at all.

Oh, well im not that far, so maybe I havent run into that yet (just messed around after the intro).

Melchiah said:
Ah, I see. I couldn't play any story/atmosphere driven games with anything other than the original music. It would be sacrilege, but I guess that's just me.

Hearing that CVX would be more rushed than RE4 makes me both sad and angry, as it was the last good RE for me, and it would have deserved a proper treatment.

I'm with you there. Also wouldnt CVX have had more work done since it got extra lighting effects?

Anyway, kinda wish both CVX and RE4 went with a more minimal effect title screen like RE 1-3. REmake and 5. Survival horror games with lots of people on the title screen just seem strange imo.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Evolved1 said:
So I just bought RE4HD on PSN... because I apparently have some kind of DD impulse buying problem... but um... what exactly did I buy?

Does this come with the extras and stuff. Like, the last screenshot showed Ada (whose mission I never played on GC) and I immediately hit "buy" before my brain computed what I was doing. lol

Are there extra costumes and all that on the PSN HD version?
It's got everything the PS2 version had. Mercs, The Another Order, Ada the Spy, costumes, etc.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Imo, Leon B scenario is much better than A for plot reasons, while there's not much difference between Claire A and B, so go Claire then Leon.
Claire A Leon B is correct.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Game is sharp and is as awesome as ever, but who was the fool at Capcom that thought these were good control scheme options? :/

oh man, the temptation to get the whole series on ps3 is tempting...well, except 5, naturally.

is there anyway to buy PSN stuff when you don't own a ps3?

kuYuri

Relaxed Muscle said:
This for sure. Not only does it make more sense canon-wise, but Leon B is sooooo much better than Leon A.

Smision said:
oh man, the temptation to get the whole series on ps3 is tempting...well, except 5, naturally.

is there anyway to buy PSN stuff when you don't own a ps3?

Yeah and with PS+ the whole original trilogy is free. Ive never played 2 or 3 so that offer is tempting as hell. Ive just got such a backlog at the moment

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By the way, how big is CVX (based on the Japanese retail installs)? I don't wanna be burned by a 3GB file again. :/

Xtyle

the water doesn't (that you can interact with) doesn't seem to look as good as before. looks a little fake. I also notice that some objects surfaces like closet doors and chairs etc, are missing some shinny highlight (possibly specular??). I could be imagining things...Though I was the most impressed by these small details back in the day.

Mithos

Gold Member
So any final verdict, remade Ps2 version or is it GC/Wii version remade in HD or a mix?
Anyone already gotten alternate suits and see them/not see them in cutscenes?

MattJon said:

cv.png
HD CV really needs some better textures in spots, I don't own a vga cable for my dreamcast so those low res textures are much softer to look at on my tv, still I want to buy CV because it's a great game and they at least added in some new lighting and shadow effects.

Something Resi 4 HD should have done also, the old aged flat lighting look is really old.

MoxManiac

Can anyone confirm the RE4 sound quality problems that people are raving about on a certain other forum? It's kinda making me hesitant.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Mithos said:
So any final verdict, remade Ps2 version or is it GC/Wii version remade in HD or a mix?
Anyone already gotten alternate suits and see them/not see them in cutscenes?
GC/Wii version with EMBM missing

MoxManiac said:
Can anyone confirm the RE4 sound quality problems that people are raving about on a certain other forum? It's kinda making me hesitant.
It's not bad but don't expect it to give your sound system a workout. Sounds like the GC audio as far as I can remember (which it probably is)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just booted up my PS2 copy, and yeah the controls are terribad. I probably won't get this unless they patch in a modern control scheme, or even better, fully customizable.

MoxManiac

Aigis said:
GC/Wii version with EMBM missing

It's not bad but don't expect it to give your sound system a workout. Sounds like the GC audio as far as I can remember (which it probably is)

People are saying the voices are downsampled and sound worse then the GCN version and even the PS2 version. Dunno if it's true or hyperbole.

Eurocult

Took me over 7 hrs to download RE4 off PSN so I didn't get to it until today.

I like it a lot. It's the game I remember , except it doesn't look like balls on my HDTV.

Like I said before, I'm not into trophies or motion controls at all, so I'm VERY happy with this.

The only thing I find strange, is that they fixed some of the text to look good in HD, but then other pieces of text look blurry..?

The audio seems to be the same as it was before. Nothing special.

Was also cool to make a 'Resident Evil' folder on my PS3 and put part 1,2,3, & 4 in it. Code Veronica next week and then if they offer RE5 on the store, I'll have a nice RE collection ready to go any time.

Evolved1

Mithos said:

You can make folders on the XMB, didn't know this? It isn't super intuitive, but it's possible to sort your games.

alr1ghtstart said:
wired/turn off media sharing

Hmmm... I'll try this, thank you.

Eurocult

Mithos said:

Press 'triangle' when you're hovering over a game icon in the XMB.

the go to 'information'

then there's an option where you can input a folder name for said game.

er...something like that. I just did it.

Mithos

Gold Member
Evolved1 said:
You can make folders on the XMB, didn't know this? It isn't super intuitive, but it's possible to sort your games.
I had no idea ^^, awesome, now I can throw all demos in a folder and keep full games separate.

atre324

I am really glad I decided to finally stop reading this thread and just buy RE4. I'm like 4 hours in and I can't put it down... even after playing it on 2 other systems (and I never replay games). Making it to a save after a hard encounter is just as satisfying as I remember.

For anyone still on the fence on this one, just buy it. If you've already played it you probably won't even notice that it's not the best port in the world, and even if you haven't you'll still get to experience a good version of a great game.

I've forgotten just how much money you get in the PS2 version. I'm only on chapter 2-2 and I already have like 150k after buying the Red 9 lol

Evolved1

Can I play the Ada mission from the beginning... that's really all I bought this for lol.

Also, slightly embarrassed to admit this, but what it media sharing on PS3?

Sullichin

Evolved1 said:
Can I play the Ada mission from the beginning... that's really all I bought this for lol.

Also, slightly embarrassed to admit this, but what it media sharing on PS3?

Media sharing lets you stream movies and such to your PS3.

Switching between this and GOW3 is interesting.

The controls are horrendous, Leon is so close to the camera that turning any direction makes me feel dizzy and it's pretty difficult. Looking forward to playing more later!

installing now...

the GiantBomb quick look (which is 56 minutes so quick look my ass) was surprisingly entertaining. Ive never heard those guys before.

Top Bottom