• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

demigod

Sullichin said:
I'm up to the castle now and I think the game looks really good. There's just no extra features, but it would have been a more expensive release if there were.

If $10 is expensive, then why aren't there extra features when the game goes for $20?

jackdoe

demigod said:
If $10 is expensive, then why aren't there extra features when the game goes for $20?
Don't you get it? Capcom is releasing it as a digital only release to SAVE us money (by charging as much as other HD retail ports). Their own words (mostly). Anyways, I need some more solid analysis before I decide if I want to buy the game a third time (where's the Digital Foundry info when you need it?).

demigod

But you did quote the other guy who said $10 was expensive. It's RE, it's worth it at any value. But this port is just piss poor and it's DD only.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
BeautifulMemory said:
I am just choosing the ignorant route this time because it is so nice to see the game in HD (Wii version is real ugly on HD TV). But it also reminds me how much they have whored Mikami's masterpiece
I wonder how Orson Welles would feel about the new Citizen Kane Blu-rays. ;)

Wowbagger

I bought the PS3 version yesterday. Played through 1-1, then played through it again in the Wii version with a GC controller.

So far, I'd say the lack of EMBM is a worthy trade-off for not having to deal with the jaggies and dithering in the Wii version. I noticed the effect was missing from Leon's belt, the typewriters and the padlock in the village, but probably wouldn't have if I didn't look for it.

The huge deadzone on the Dualshock's right stick is annoying, though. The C-stick let me look around smoothly, at least while standing still, and it has no deadzone to speak of. The R-stick on the DS3 feels like a d-pad, useless for anything but scanning for enemies trying to sneak up on you.

And whose bright idea was it to have Start be the inventory button? Now I have to move my hand every time I want to access it and I do that all the friggin time. Hardly ever check the map.

Wowbagger said:
And whose bright idea was it to have Start be the inventory button? Now I have to move my hand every time I want to access it and I do that all the friggin time. Hardly ever check the map.

Just press triangle to go right to the map

zerotol

Banned
Made it through the water room today. It was actually pretty intense! I failed it the first try because
I accidently sniped Ashley after one of the black robe guys tried to carry her away while she was on the platform turning the cranks.

I'm definitely rusty though since the last time I played it was when the Wii version came out. That being said, I can still remember where almost all the hidden stuff is. This game is still amazing to me.

Teknoman

demigod said:
But you did quote the other guy who said $10 was expensive. It's RE, it's worth it at any value. But this port is just piss poor and it's DD only.

Im still not seeing how its pisspoor. Its just another RE4 port except in HD with leaderboards. If it was pisspoor or shit or any other term for sorely lacking in quality, there would have to be a whole slew of problems wrong with the game. Like...blurry cut scenes, strange filters, censored material, or something.

Average port with no extra work really done? Sure. Pisspoor? Nah. CVX would probably be an above average port since they added extra lighting effects.

Wowbagger

revolverjgw said:
Just press triangle to go right to the map

Uh, yeah, but my point was that I need to use the inventory much more frequently, so it should be mapped to the more accessible button (triangle).

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Is Resident Evil 4 actually scary? I Know older Resident Evil games were scary but RE5 wasn't scary at all.

And too be honest I hate games that are scary, but I loved Resi 5. So Resi 4 scary or not?

Teknoman

Kingsora said:
Is Resident Evil 4 actually scary? I Know older Resident Evil games were scary but RE5 wasn't scary at all.

And too be honest I hate games that are scary, but I loved Resi 5. So Resi 4 scary or not?

Nope its not scary at all.

I cant wait to see newcomers post about Oven Man

ILHASS

Kingsora said:

scary? lol no

Kingsora said:

It's more tense. There are parts that are creepy, but mostly it's pacing, action, and tension

Kingsora

BeautifulMemory said:
It's more tense. There are parts that are creepy, but mostly it's pacing, action, and tension
And with tension you mean? Because I seriously hate quiet moments and you turn around and there is suddenly a guy behind you ready to kill you. My heart rate goes to the roof then during such moments and I hate it.

I just can't understand that people like getting scared =s

Kingsora said:
And with tension you mean? Because I seriously hate quiet moments and you turn around and there is suddenly a guy behind you ready to kill you. My heart rate goes to the roof then during such moments and I hate it.

I just can't understand that people like getting scared =s

Does seem to happen quite often.

Took over 10 hours to dl this on the PSN yesterday :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
BeautifulMemory said:

Yup, it's more of an action packed game with tension than a horror game. The only "scary" part is the
Regenarator/s popping right in front of you.

By the way... Is CVX "scary"?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ULTROS! said:
Yup, it's more of an action packed game with tension than a horror game. The only "scary" part is the

The game is about as scary as any Biohazard game before it. Back in 2004, everyone was terrified when they played the village, and it was definitely isolating and creepy walking through the rest of the 1st chapter in relative silence. It was creepy and frightening when you return to the village in the middle of the night and when you fight the plagas forms. The novistadors in the sewers as well. The list is quite substantial. At some point it becomes more of a thriller and abandons all pretense of logic in favor of unique encounters and level design, but it brings it back pretty strong with the Regenerators and the U3.

Basically, it uses the same kind of tension and dread that the series has always employed, and I'd argue it does so much more effectively.

ULTROS! said:

There's a location that freaked me out pretty much in CVX
The Arctic base

CVX is very tense due to being low on ammo a lot of the time I found.

ULTROS! said:

or towards the very end where you see the bag jumping! Wtf is that

I find CVX to be pretty scary. Gets lame at some of the cutscenes, but I thought the areas you explore are pretty fun

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ruby_onix said:
Is the Japanese Xbox360 version region free?

Nope.

luka said:
The game is about as scary as any Biohazard game before it. Back in 2004, everyone was terrified when they played the village, and it was definitely isolating and creepy walking through the rest of the 1st chapter in relative silence. It was creepy and frightening when you return to the village in the middle of the night and when you fight the plagas forms. The novistadors in the sewers as well. The list is quite substantial. At some point it becomes more of a thriller and abandons all pretense of logic in favor of unique encounters and level design, but it brings it back pretty strong with the Regenerators and the U3.

Basically, it uses the same kind of tension and dread that the series has always employed, and I'd argue it does so much more effectively.

Forgot about
U-3, fuck that boss for being "unkillable" and popping out of nowhere in a dark-ish room.

Kingsora

So I guess no Resi 4 for me then. I was actually looking forward to it because I had never played it before. But games where my heart rate goes through the roof are just a no go for me =(

luka said:

I agree. The game might be more action oriented, but to me it was about as scary as the old games, but with much better execution.
Most of the scares in the old RE games were simple jump out scares. And most of those were only scary because you knew that with those terrible controls you were never really able to react accordingly on your first try. The amount of healing items in the old games is laughably high, mainly due to the fact that the terrible controls made them a requirement.

I just finished replaying CVX on the Wii, and I gotta say, I would advise against buying it on 360 or PS3. It really didn't age all that well. For as great as it was back then, it simply doesn't hold up as well today.

RE4 isn't a typical clunky and ponderous survival horror game, but it's still pure horror through and through, with so many references and nods to so many different horror works from every medium.

And for me the action makes it scarier and more intense than its predecessors... I tend to just get irritated rather than intimidated when I fuck up in those games, and when I retry all the fear is gone once I know what I'm up against, because there's usually nothing to it. RE4 keeps my heartrate up consistently because the atmosphere between encounters is still as thick as ever, and the freaky encounters themselves are so much more dynamic and involving. All the tension builds up to gameplay situations that are actually demanding and stressful even during retries.

zerotol

Banned
revolverjgw said:
RE4 isn't a typical clunky and ponderous survival horror game, but it's still pure horror through and through, with so many references and nods to so many different horror works from every medium.

And for me the action makes it scarier and more intense than its predecessors... I tend to just get irritated rather than intimidated when I fuck up in those games, and when I retry all the fear is gone once I know what I'm up against, because there's usually nothing to it. RE4 keeps my heartrate up consistently because the atmosphere between encounters is still as thick as ever, and the freaky encounters themselves are so much more dynamic and involving. All the tension builds up to gameplay situations that are actually demanding and stressful even during retries.

Good post. I agree!

Teknoman

Kingsora said:
So I guess no Resi 4 for me then. I was actually looking forward to it because I had never played it before. But games where my heart rate goes through the roof are just a no go for me =(

Aww you're really missing out though. Honestly the only parts that might make you a little tense are my spoiler comment and the regenerator enemies. You'll be alright i'm sure...not like its Silent Hill 2,3, or Fatal Frame.

You probably should stay away from Amnesia. Dead Space 1 too, since that full of jump scares.

I'm about 13-14 hours in and not even at the island yet. I haven't played it since 2005 and I'm reminded of why this game blew my mind back then. It's a sprawling, endlessly inventive game design clinic. It feels like there's about 1000 totally distinct gameplay setpieces, and every environment these encounters take place feels and looks different. It's been so long I've forgotten a lot of it, so I'm constantly entering new areas and going "holy shit, it's this part!". I'm wondering what's next, and I know every scenario is going to feel different from the last 10.

Controls and interface are crap, always have been, and I never bought into any of the usual justifications for their jankiness. But this is still the best action game I've ever played on the strength of its virtuosic design. I'd guess with how expensive modern game development is, it's impossible at the moment to make an action/adventure campaign of this size, pace and variety. Certainly nothing I've played has come close since (and honestly this game spanked every game that came before it, as well).

And it's still a beautiful game, even with all the disappointing aliasing, slow-down and last-gen textures. Every room of that castle feels like an artist slaved over it for a month. You can't get lost because no two rooms look alike.

As far as the port quality goes, yeah it's not inspiring, but it feels nice to be reminded of why this might be the best game I've ever played.

revolverjgw said:

True. A lot of the tension in old RE games simply boiled down to the inadequacies of the controls. Nostalgia really takes the better part of people who want the old RE games back. The controls were a child of their time. Crappy PS1 era 3D controls that even back then felt terrible. Most of the time the controls were the bigger threat to ones survival than the actual monsters.

Now as far as atmosphere goes: A zombie themed RE game with RE4s dedication to set pieces and polish? Hook it right into my veins!

My personal dream RE game would be a successor to RE Mercenaries 3D with 4 player coop, and Left 4 Dead like Story stages (go from A to B with randomized encounters) They could make legacy stages (Racoon City, Arklay mountains, Spencer Villa, Antarctica, Village to the lake etc etc)
Hell imagine the Police Station from RE2 as a horde based arena...

consoul

So I got my e-Capcom 15th Anniversary set today.
The odd thing is that the inside cover of the manual and the boot up screen both show the standard warning messages for 3D content on 3DTVs (in Japanese). I've never seen these warnings on games that don't support 3D before.

Capcom have said definitively that these games don't support stereoscopic 3D, so why the warning messages? DLC 3D patch ahead?

consoul said:
So I got my e-Capcom 15th Anniversary set today.
The odd thing is that the inside cover of the manual and the boot up screen both show the standard warning messages for 3D content on 3DTVs (in Japanese). I've never seen these warnings on games that don't support 3D before.

Capcom have said definitively that these games don't support stereoscopic 3D, so why the warning messages? DLC 3D patch ahead?

Too lazy to remove a standard warning? wouldn't surprise me.

Curufinwe

Leondexter said:
Switching the two primary action buttons is a big deal. I don't suppose you'd mind if, say, run and jump were switched in Super Mario Bros, or jump and fire in Mega Man (which is exactly what Capcom did in Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube)? All I'm asking for is the option to use the same control setup as before. How can anyone not think that's a good idea? You people are clinically insane if you think that's such a terrible request.

Oh, come on, it's not that hard. 4 buttons in roughly the same layout, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which equates to which. Literally hundreds of games last gen mapped the controls exactly as logic dictates.

There should be the option to customize each button in RE 4 HD, and in every game ever made. But having Shoot on X and Run on A is better for QTEs and is consistent with RE 5, so I'm happy Capcom used it again for RE 4 HD. It's logical for them to use the best control scheme if they are only going to have one available, and they did.

The face buttons on the 360 pad aren't really that similar in layout to the GC face buttons. On the GC pad, A is much larger and is right in the middle, and then the B button is down and to the left. On the 360 pad A is at the bottom and X is above and to the right of it. It's not illogical for Capcom to swap which button does what on a different controller with different sized and shaped buttons in a different configuration.

Kingsora

Teknoman said:
Aww you're really missing out though. Honestly the only parts that might make you a little tense are my spoiler comment and the regenerator enemies. You'll be alright i'm sure...not like its Silent Hill 2,3, or Fatal Frame.

You probably should stay away from Amnesia. Dead Space 1 too, since that full of jump scares.
Yeah I know and I am still thinking about it because I know Resi 4 is an amazing game and it plays often like Resi 5 (which I loved).

But I am thinking at the moments I played scary game like Silent Hill for example. And damn I just hated those games :D I was thinking all the time 'oh fuck, oh fuck, ...' and often looked at away from the screen because I just did not wanted to get scared :p

Abylim

I hate to be that guy, but very dissapointed with the trophies. I figured there would be a lot of silvers and golds to make up for the lack of platinum, boy was I wrong.

Otherwise its awesome, this is my 4th time buying this game, and its as good as it was back then. Just a bit down about the trophy list =\

ULTROS!

Kingsora said:
Yeah I know and I am still thinking about it because I know Resi 4 is an amazing game and it plays often like Resi 5 (which I loved).

But I am thinking at the moments I played scary game like Silent Hill for example. And damn I just hated those games :D I was thinking all the time 'oh fuck, oh fuck, ...' and often looked at away from the screen because I just did not wanted to get scared :p

Youtube guides will help. :p

Or if you want, I'll spoiler the fright moments and just highlight them, note that they're major spoilers:

- Chapter 3 - 2 - Invisible bug monsters in the sewers
- Chapter 3 - 2 - Dogs jumping from the Castle's hedge maze
- Chapter 4 - 1 - Verdugo battle, starts when you fall down the shaft
- Chapter 5 - 1 - Regenerator battles, starts when you get the Freezer Card Key
- Chapter 5 - 2 - Another Regenerator battle
- Chapter 5 - 3 - U3 battle, starts when you go inside a container-bridge

Other than that, just expect a lot of tense battles. Not frightening but more like "oh shit, more monsters to kill".

Akuosa

boris feinbrand said:
My personal dream RE game would be a successor to RE Mercenaries 3D with 4 player coop, and Left 4 Dead like Story stages (go from A to B with randomized encounters) They could make legacy stages (Racoon City, Arklay mountains, Spencer Villa, Antarctica, Village to the lake etc etc)
Hell imagine the Police Station from RE2 as a horde based arena...
Keep your coop out of my RE. This is supposed to be scary.

SaitoH

Akuosa said:
Keep your coop out of my RE. This is supposed to be scary.

I tend to agree -even though I love coop. After RE4 and RE5 I've had enough RE the action game. I want RE the scary game.

AllenShrz

How's the lighting?

I've seen some videos comparing the SD vs the HD versions and the lighting seems flat on the HD versions (something like the ps2 port).

Is it just the video? or this a ps2 port?

ULTROS!

AllenShrz said:
How's the lighting?

I've seen some videos comparing the SD vs the HD versions and the lighting seems flat on the HD versions (something like the ps2 port).

Is it just the video? or this a ps2 port?

From what I've seen, it has the GC lighting.

PnCIa

So, uhm which one should i get, PS3 or 360? I don´t care about achievements and trophys. I guess there can´t be a real graphics difference? Sounds like people don´t like the PS3´s analog sticks though.

ULTROS!

PnCIa said:
So, uhm which one should i get, PS3 or 360? I don´t care about achievements and trophys. I guess there can´t be a real graphics difference? Sounds like people don´t like the PS3´s analog sticks though.

360 - 1000G, better controller, better loading times
PS3 - PS+ Discount ($10). If you get PS+, you get RE1-3 for free and $10 CVX.

Top Bottom