• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Curufinwe

alr1ghtstart said:
Just booted up my PS2 copy, and yeah the controls are terribad. I probably won't get this unless they patch in a modern control scheme, or even better, fully customizable.

Not to single you out because a lot of people in this thread have said similar things, especially about Move controls, but does anyone think there's a chance in hell that Capcom has any plans to patch these games to add extra features? Anything they wanted to put in they would have included with the original release.

I'm up to 3-1 and have really got into the swing of the controls like it was 2005 again. The 360 pad is damn good substitute for the GameCube controller when it comes to RE 4. The only issue I'm having now is that I just finished Dead Space 2 on Sunday so I'll sometimes go to press Left on the D-pad to select my main weapon or click the right stick to see where I should go.

luka said:
When they adapted the game for a controller with symmetrical buttons, that is the layout they chose. Regardless of whether you agree with it, it's the standardized format they went with for all modern controllers - RE5 with 'traditional' control scheme has the same layout as well. The decision was made to change it long before this port, and they didn't have the 360's letter arrangements in mind when they did it.

I'm just explaining why it happened - and why B does nothing and A does everything. That's the reason. Live with it or leave it. Or just keep being angry.

Sorry, but your logic doesn't hold up. Not all the versions with "symmetrical buttons" have the same mapping. The prime example would be that the PS2 North American release (the best-selling version of the game, by the way) has the face buttons differently than this does. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have kept that layout for a subsequent release in this territory, especially on the PS3. The Wii version's button layout is also different if you use the Classic Controller, though I'm sure you'd say that doesn't "count". They've also swapped the front/back trigger functions from earlier releases.

In short, the control layout is not the same as prior releases, not the same as the original release this is derived directly from, and they've also taken the time to add a control type screen with an alternate control method, without making one that correlates logically to prior releases. It's not logic, it's stupidity.

All that said, I'm having a blast with it again. But I don't excuse their laziness.

Curufinwe

RE 4 on the PS360 uses the same buttons for run and shoot as RE 5 does. Capcom obviously thinks it works better this way. It's not illogical or lazy for them to make that change just because you prefer the buttons the other way around.

Calcaneus

Augh, I'm tempted to get this since I only have the PS2 version right now. Watching that quick look reminded me how fucking good this game is. The pacing was so great, no game I've played this gen has matched it in that regard. Some have come close though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Leondexter said:
Sorry, but your logic doesn't hold up. Not all the versions with "symmetrical buttons" have the same mapping. The prime example would be that the PS2 North American release (the best-selling version of the game, by the way) has the face buttons differently than this does. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have kept that layout for a subsequent release in this territory, especially on the PS3. The Wii version's button layout is also different if you use the Classic Controller, though I'm sure you'd say that doesn't "count". They've also swapped the front/back trigger functions from earlier releases.

In short, the control layout is not the same as prior releases, not the same as the original release this is derived directly from, and they've also taken the time to add a control type screen with an alternate control method, without making one that correlates logically to prior releases. It's not logic, it's stupidity.

All that said, I'm having a blast with it again. But I don't excuse their laziness.
My logic? I don't know why you're being so contentious. You were wondering where the logic in the layout came from. I told you. It was adopted from the ps2 port and later RE5. In the original release - the Japanese version - O (B) was confirm and X (A) was cancel. They switched confirm back to the A button because that's what Americans are used to but didn't alter the rest of the scheme. I never excused the lack of options, but the end it's just two buttons, and it wasn't some arbitrary change made just for this release.

Curufinwe

Leondexter said:
Here are the two options you get. Where's the logic? B is unused in both, they moved the inventory screen (status) off the face buttons, put the map, of all things, where that used to be ('cause we use that a lot, wtf?) and change the "everything" A button to X and run/reload to A. What's even weirder is that A and X do the same thing in most menus, as if they forgot to unmap A from everything.

For Type I controls the status screen is Start on the PS2 and Start on the 360, and the map is /\ on the PS2 and Y on the 360. That is to say, they are in exactly the same positions on the controller. The only change Capcom made is moving Shoot to []/X and Run to X/A, which in my, and other people's opinion, is actually an improvement.

randomwab said:
Oh come on. I've replayed RE4 more times than I'm willing to admit on every available platform. The new controls took me 10 minutes to get used to. If anything, they're better because my thumb rests over both A and X which makes QTEs very comfortable. The bigger jump for me was relearning to aim with the left stick.

Comparisons to the GameCube setup are silly because the face buttons on that controller are totally different in size and shape to regular controllers.

def sim

OmegaRed said:
I was thinking of getting this Friday (I own the GC version). I heard there were effects missing? Missing in what way?

No EMBM which, really, just means the slimy monsters are less slimy. Either it was impossible to translate to PS360 hardware or, the more likely, Capcom was being lazy.

It's a fine enough port.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind the controls, but mapping Y to map instead of inventory seems really weird to me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ugh... why do I have to aim with the left stick? Jesus christ I forgot how much these controls suck dick.

I mean I'm cemented in place while aiming... would it really break the game to lets us switch it? At least acknowledge the millions of gamers who are used to right analog aim? This is another game I buy, play for ten mins, and then never again. lol smh.

Curufinwe

Why did you buy it if you hate aiming with the left stick so much? A quick glance at this thread would have told you they hadn't added the ability to aim with the right stick.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Evolved1 said:
Ugh... why do I have to aim with the left stick? Jesus christ I forgot how much these controls suck dick.

I mean I'm cemented in place while aiming... would it really break the game to lets us switch it? At least acknowledge the millions of gamers who are used to right analog aim? This is another game I buy, play for ten mins, and then never again. lol smh.
yoda.gif

Maybe you should ask threads about things that would affect your enjoyment instead of wasting money for ten minutes of play, though. It could save you money in the future!

Evolved1

Curufinwe said:
Why did you buy it if you hate aiming with the left stick so much? A quick glance at this thread would have told you they hadn't added the ability to aim with the right stick.

I forgot... no worries dudes. I wont be messing up your thread, I already deleted it lol. Like I said, only wanted to play the Ada mission anyway. But can't do that so, whatever.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Evolved1 said:

See this is a complaint I will never understand. Why would it make sense to arbitrarily disable the left stick and switch to the right one just because you pressed the ready weapon button? You can't move either way! I mean you may be used to it these days but given the nature of the game it's illogical and doesn't provide you with any mechanical benefit.

Leondexter said:
RE4HD360controls.jpg

Here are the two options you get. Where's the logic? B is unused in both, they moved the inventory screen (status) off the face buttons, put the map, of all things, where that used to be ('cause we use that a lot, wtf?) and change the "everything" A button to X and run/reload to A. What's even weirder is that A and X do the same thing in most menus, as if they forgot to unmap A from everything.

I'm sure it's all fine for people who haven't played and replayed this over the last several years. I'm adapting, but of course, just when it's do-or-die and I need to react without thinking, I reload instead of kicking and get chewed to death.

hey thanks man...really appreciate it.

My real question is....Is aiming done completely with LEFT stick still? or do they give you the option of using right stick to aim?

DR2K

Banned
Yeah getting used to the controls was an adjustment, but it's not so bad once you get out of bad habits.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Leaving B unmapped and putting inventory on the start button... someone shouldn't ever be assigned to button-layout at Capcom ever again.

Evolved1

DR2K said:
Yeah getting used to the controls was an adjustment, but it's not so bad once you get out of bad habits.

Bad habits? Wtf. lol...time for me to call it a night.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ULTROS! said:
By the way, how big is CVX (based on the Japanese retail installs)? I don't wanna be burned by a 3GB file again. :/

Reposting for another page, sorry just need to know the size so I can know how much files I need to delete on my PS3. :p

This game could really use some real-time weapon change. It hurts pacing and tension when you have to pause the action and dig safely around in the inventory to get out your weapon... I routinely have to go into the menu 3 times in the span of like 2 seconds. It sucks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
luka said:

Thanks, guess I need to delete something (probably Grandia and FFVIII :( )

somnific

just finished my normal run through-- gotta say it was a blast to play all over again. the controls (on the 360) was a nice substitute for the gamecube controller, and although i missed the accuracy that the wiimote provided, the 360 controller held up quite nicely once i got adjusted to it and it felt like i was playing it for the first time on the gamecube all over again.

after a short while aiming felt natural again, and i noticed myself improving quickly as i progressed further through the game. this was obvious in the shooting gallery areas-- during gallery A it felt a bit frustrating having to be super accurate while racking up high scores, but by the time gallery D came around i breezed through it pretty quickly.

it's nice to be back knifing ganados and i'm looking forward to my professional playthrough, although i do wish NG+ could have been applied to professional though i understand why it isn't (since it was never included in any of the previous incarnations of the game).

i also noticed that the game was pretty stingy with ammo drops; even though i knifed/kicked/supplexed a good amount, i still found myself wondering when more ammo would drop. overall, great fun!

I don't know why so many people have so much trouble with the control scheme. Here is a little reminder: RE4 is not an FPS. It isn't Call of Duty or Halo. Spend a few moments learning the new/old scheme instead of pissing and moaning about how much better it would be with a different scheme. Take a little baby step outside of your comfort zone.
Anyone who is comfortable with a game controller should easily be able to learn the control scheme in about 30 seconds. I don't know, maybe I'm just a control scheme prodigy or something, because I never had a problem with it.

def sim

luka said:
See this is a complaint I will never understand. Why would it make sense to arbitrarily disable the left stick and switch to the right one just because you pressed the ready weapon button? You can't move either way! I mean you may be used to it these days but given the nature of the game it's illogical and doesn't provide you with any mechanical benefit.

It seems you understand already. It's what a lot of us are used to, simple as that. You're right though, it's easy to adjust since the left thumb isn't any worse than the right when it comes to aiming. It just feels a bit weird.

luka said:

PS3 version is smaller than the 360's? Any reason for that?

Evolved1 said:
Can I play the Ada mission from the beginning... that's really all I bought this for lol.

Also, slightly embarrassed to admit this, but what it media sharing on PS3?

I think it means playing streaming audio/video or images on your PS3 from your PC, using a program like PS3 media server. ie, download a video with your pc, then watch it on your tv through your PS3 media server, tversity, etc.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
rance said:
It seems you understand already. It's what a lot of us are used to, simple as that. You're right though, it's easy to adjust since the left thumb isn't any worse than the right when it comes to aiming. It just feels a bit weird.
Well, yeah. I do get that. I use twin sticks in games just as much as anyone, but it just surprises me that so many people have difficulty relearning a simpler control method. Granted I've played a LOT of biohazard 4 over the years, but it was never an issue going back and forth with newer more mechanically complicated shooters on consoles or PC.

PS3 version is smaller than the 360's? Any reason for that?
That's the size for Code:Veronica complete.

beelzebozo said:
capcom should release a shell to make the analog stick on ps3 less crappy for this game.
Sony should release a dual shock with a smaller octagonal gate. Problem solved. :)

Evolved1

rance said:

I think it feels a lot different. It's like trying to write with my left hand. Can I do it? Sort of. But when the pencil is in my right hand, I'm a fucking artist.

My basic point here is that... why not let us do it. It changes nothing about the game. It doesn't break the game. It's not like complaining about tank control or not being able to move and aim. It's asking the question: why this stick, when we have two and most everyone prefers the other one?

This also goes hand in hand with my general belief that all controls should be fully customizable anyway...

But it is what it is. It's not for me.

Risible

Evolved1 said:
I think it feels a lot different. It's like trying to write with my left hand. Can I do it? Sort of. But when the pencil is in my right hand, I'm a fucking artist.

My basic point here is that... why not let us do it. It changes nothing about the game. It doesn't break the game. It's not like complaining about tank control or not being able to move and aim. It's asking the question: why this stick, when we have two and most everyone prefers the other one?

This also goes hand in hand with my general belief that all controls should be fully customizable anyway...

But it is what it is. It's not for me.

I understand what you're saying.

To be honest though, it only takes about 30 minutes of playing before you're completely used to it. An hour in and you forget you were even complaining about the left stick.

It's an amazing game, well worth putting a little extra effort into.

Evolved1

Risible said:
I understand what you're saying.

To be honest though, it only takes about 30 minutes of playing before you're completely used to it. An hour in and you forget you were even complaining about the left stick.

It's an amazing game, well worth putting a little extra effort into.

I beat it on GC... just never got to do the Ada missions. It was a pretty cool game at the time, but honestly the main game isn't interesting enough (to me) to fight with controls. I;ve got a million other games to play that don't have retarded control schemes. It's no big deal. Just ten dollars.

luka said:

Actually I just DL'd it and it was 3333 MB.

ULTROS!

Evolved1 said:
Actually I just DL'd it and it was 3333 MB.

That's for Code Veronica X HD.

Evolved1

luka said:
You should read the post I was replying to. >_>

I just double-checked and CV is exactly 2439MB.

Yes I misread, I'm sorry.

this game is still THE BEST. sound quality on my samsung 42 inch is surprisngly really good contrary to what others have been saying. everything is super crisp and the controls are great to me, especially option II (utilizing L1 to aim and R1 to shoot). Playing it for the 40th time and I StILL find something i never previously knew about and the intensity still breathes like a motherfucker. god i love this game. those who have thier doubts, fcuk the bullshit and get this now.

jyoung188

I fucking love this game, everything about it. It took me about 2 min to get used to the controls and then i was sucked right back in. RE4 is my favorite game. I got gears of war 3 in today, installed it, and then went right back to RE4 HD haha.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jyoung188 said:
I fucking love this game, everything about it. It took me about 2 min to get used to the controls and then i was sucked right back in. RE4 is my favorite game. I got gears of war 3 in today, installed it, and then went right back to RE4 HD haha.

the king stay the king.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ohshit, I had no idea these were coming out so soon. I have yet to play RE4 so I'm looking forward to it. Glad they're re-releasing CVX as well, I'd like to play some of the classic RE games.

Curufinwe said:
For Type I controls the status screen is Start on the PS2 and Start on the 360, and the map is /\ on the PS2 and Y on the 360. That is to say, they are in exactly the same positions on the controller. The only change Capcom made is moving Shoot to []/X and Run to X/A, which in my, and other people's opinion, is actually an improvement.

Switching the two primary action buttons is a big deal. I don't suppose you'd mind if, say, run and jump were switched in Super Mario Bros, or jump and fire in Mega Man (which is exactly what Capcom did in Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube)? All I'm asking for is the option to use the same control setup as before. How can anyone not think that's a good idea? You people are clinically insane if you think that's such a terrible request.

Curufinwe said:
Comparisons to the GameCube setup are silly because the face buttons on that controller are totally different in size and shape to regular controllers.

Oh, come on, it's not that hard. 4 buttons in roughly the same layout, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which equates to which. Literally hundreds of games last gen mapped the controls exactly as logic dictates.

I can't believe I never saw this before, but when Ashley is crouching behind Leon while he shoots, she does a little fist pump every time he kills someone. :eek:

I always thought she was just sort of squirming around, being scared.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Leondexter said:
I can't believe I never saw this before, but when Ashley is crouching behind Leon while he shoots, she does a little fist pump every time he kills someone. :eek:

I always thought she was just sort of squirming around, being scared.
Oh my god. I've finished this game nearly 20 times and I never noticed that.

ULTROS!

v@xick said:
I can't decide if I want to buy this. I mean it's $10 on PSN with Plus, but it's such a sloppy port.

It doesn't look and run bad to be honest, I'm having a blast with it.

If you haven't played RE4, it's a must-get. If you've played it, go for it if you want.

Sullichin

v@xick said:
I can't decide if I want to buy this. I mean it's $10 on PSN with Plus, but it's such a sloppy port.

I'm up to the castle now and I think the game looks really good. There's just no extra features, but it would have been a more expensive release if there were.

PS3 version, took the plunge.

Yes, the saving takes awhile...strange.

Yes, the texts are upscaled not HD. Wtf man.

HD so far does look pretty good, and plays just like the PS2 version

Slow down. Ugh. Noticeable? Yes. If you care about that kind of stuff, it will drive you crazy, because it's pretty obvious

I am just choosing the ignorant route this time because it is so nice to see the game in HD (Wii version is real ugly on HD TV). But it also reminds me how much they have whored Mikami's masterpiece

Top Bottom