• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

atre324

Hmm... a few things I forget about this game:

Do people prefer the Riot Gun, or the Striker? I seem to remember hearing the Striker might be a better weapon but I always ended up using the Riot Gun and I don't remember why.

Also is it worth upgrading the Rifle, or should you wait until you get the Semi-Auto Rifle in 3-1?

I will say that it's not worth pouring money into upgrading the handgun (or the Punisher, if you get all 15 blue targets, although buying that gun and immediately reselling it is worth a good 15k) because you get the Red9 in 2-2, and that gun is fucking great. Get the stock too and go to town.

Another pro-tip for newer players: flash grenades might seem useless, but they're not. They will instantly kill ganados that have plagas coming out of their heads (you first encounter them in 2-1).

sajj316

ULTROS! said:
360 - 1000G, better controller, better loading times
PS3 - PS+ Discount ($10). If you get PS+, you get RE1-3 for free and $10 CVX.

What is the difference in loading times? Are we talking about 1-2 seconds or 5-10 seconds?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
atre324 said:

Do people prefer the Riot Gun, or the Striker? I seem to remember hearing the Striker might be a better weapon but I always ended up using the Riot Gun and I don't remember why.

The Striker has better damage, better handling, higher capacity, wider range, and takes up less space in your inventory. The only thing the Riot Gun might have is range, but with a shotgun that hardly matters. Personally, I never even bothered with the Riot Gun. I always went straight from Shotgun to Striker.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
sajj316 said:
What is the difference in loading times? Are we talking about 1-2 seconds or 5-10 seconds?

I don't have a 360 but I can say the loading times in the PS3 are around 1-2 seconds. Saving takes about 3-5 seconds.

K' Dash

atre324 said:

I have always upgraded the Striker cause of the special upgrade.

atre324 said:
Also is it worth upgrading the Rifle, or should you wait until you get the Semi-Auto Rifle in 3-1?

I never upgrade the rifles on my first playtrough.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Question for 360ers: my Xbox lacked the space to download this (even completely empty) - can it be downloaded to a USB drive and played from there?

Curufinwe

If the USB drive is fast enough I believe it will work. Certain USB drives don't work on the 360, like the one I use on my PS3 for backing up save games.

atre324 said:

I will say that it's not worth pouring money into upgrading the handgun (or the Punisher, if you get all 15 blue targets, although buying that gun and immediately reselling it is worth a good 15k) because you get the Red9 in 2-2, and that gun is fucking great. Get the stock too and go to town.

I bought the BAR and upgraded its ammo twice and it came in handy for the first two chapters, but I immediately sold it and got the SAR at the Castle. And I bought the TMP and used it to good effect on the final boss of Chapter 2. When I played the Wii version in March I skipped both those weapons, and I had a lot of trouble beating that boss. But with four weapons, two stocks and a scope my medium attache case is almost full, and I always skip buying the large case and wait until I can get the XL case later in the Castle.

The Red 9 with stock is a joy to aim with. I can see someone new to RE 4 getting annoyed with how twitchy the default handgun is for aiming.

K' Dash

Question kinda related, anyone knows why the original GNC release had black bars, I tried the wikipedia article but it doesn't mention it.

luka said:
The game is about as scary as any Biohazard game before it. Back in 2004, everyone was terrified when they played the village, and it was definitely isolating and creepy walking through the rest of the 1st chapter in relative silence. It was creepy and frightening when you return to the village in the middle of the night and when you fight the plagas forms. The novistadors in the sewers as well. The list is quite substantial. At some point it becomes more of a thriller and abandons all pretense of logic in favor of unique encounters and level design, but it brings it back pretty strong with the Regenerators and the U3.

Basically, it uses the same kind of tension and dread that the series has always employed, and I'd argue it does so much more effectively.

I agree. People are forgetting how it felt to play through the first time, before you know what's coming, and before you're such a badass at crowd control. I'd say the only thing the older RE games have over RE4 is the tension created by the fixed camera angles, which I've always thought is kind of a cheap tactic.

I still think of REmake as the scariest one, though.

so the game on demand version of RE4 (and I guess CVX will be the same) is NTSC U and NTSC J (excluding china) locked.

so owners of jp 360 systems in the US you can dl the game on demand version and run it on your system.

Not sure about the european version yet though.

Angry Fork

I kind of hated RE4 the first time I played it but because it constantly gets such praise I'm thinking of getting this on PSN and trying it again. (I played it about 2 years ago on Wii).

I got up to a part where you get to a graveyard and a church or something before I started getting annoyed by everything being brown everywhere and looking so fugly (lots of jaggies on Wii). Brown mountains, brown floors brown towns and brown houses, brown cathedrals brown towers. Like damn come on take me underground change the color palette or whatever do something I kept feeling like I was playing in circles.

I liked RE5 (played it with a close friend luckily so I didn't have to do the forced co-op on my own) partly because it had a lot of varied environments compared to what I played of RE4. Does RE4 have more environments later in the game or is it the same shit all the time everywhere you go?

edit - I just read apparently aiming is on the left analog stick for PS3? What. Who thought that was a good idea?

this is so fucking unfair...gears 3 and RE4 in the same week. it's like picking which child you love more. Or knowing which child you love more, but the newer child just cost you $60, so you feel obligated.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Angry Fork said:
I kind of hated RE4 the first time I played it but because it constantly gets such praise I'm thinking of getting this on PSN and trying it again. (I played it about 2 years ago on Wii).

I got up to a part where you get to a graveyard and a church or something before I started getting annoyed by everything being brown everywhere and looking so fugly (lots of jaggies on Wii). Brown mountains, brown floors brown towns and brown houses, brown cathedrals brown towers. Like damn come on take me underground change the color palette or whatever do something I kept feeling like I was playing in circles.

I liked RE5 (played it with a close friend luckily so I didn't have to do the forced co-op on my own) partly because it had a lot of varied environments compared to what I played of RE4. Does RE4 have more environments later in the game or is it the same shit all the time everywhere you go?

You played probably about 5% of the game. A lot of the game is muted with earthy tones, about as much as Resident Evil 5 is covered in a green hue. But it's definitely not all brown, especially when you get to other areas.

Sullichin

Leondexter said:
I agree. People are forgetting how it felt to play through the first time, before you know what's coming, and before you're such a badass at crowd control. I'd say the only thing the older RE games have over RE4 is the tension created by the fixed camera angles, which I've always thought is kind of a cheap tactic.

I still think of REmake as the scariest one, though.

I've beaten this game like 7 times on GameCube, but it's been sufficiently long/have gotten used to current gen action game controls that I'm no longer a beast at the game (most of my playthroughs were NG+ after all). I'm not dying too much but I'm escaping some situations with a sliver of health, so the game does a good job at keeping up the suspense even though I'm so familiar with it.

This game has so many classic moments. Even in the village: the initial village battle, el gigante, holding down the cabin with Louis, the boss fight at the end... Not all games take you on a ride this good. Not even all great games.

Ledsen

Angry Fork said:

edit - I just read apparently aiming is on the left analog stick for PS3? What. Who thought that was a good idea?
You only played a small part of the game, dude.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just bought the 15th anniversary edition! Thanks tha_devil for the site recommendation ♥

Sullichin

Angry Fork said:

Like others said, you played a small portion of the game.
the game looks much better on PS3 than it does on GCN/Wii. But I will say that the muddiness of the original game never bothered me much. Aiming is on the left analog stick because that's how the controls worked on GCN/PS2. It takes a bit getting used to, but this is Resident Evil, a game defined by its limitations for sure. I thought the Wii controls were cool but made the game easy and ruined the purpose of getting gun stocks.

Xtyle

I tried the Wii version last night with the CG controller and right away, I notice that I could aim and hold steady aiming much much better. The 360 aiming seems very sensitive and twitchy.

Angry Fork

Is the left stick aiming detrimental or is it something you can get used to fairly quickly? It kind of sucks they didn't give the option to put it on the right side but it's not a deal breaker if the game really is as great as everyone says. I did like the atmosphere a lot I was just disappointed in the lack of variety (from what I played).

Risette

A Good Citizen
Angry Fork said:
Is the left stick aiming detrimental or is it something you can get used to fairly quickly? It kind of sucks they didn't give the option to put it on the right side but it's not a deal breaker if the game really is as great as everyone says. I did like the atmosphere a lot I was just disappointed in the lack of variety (from what I played).
It's good. You'll be fine.

Sullichin

Angry Fork said:

You get used to it. It's a bit jarring at first, and an option would always be nice, but really it's fine.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sullichin said:
You get used to it. It's a bit jarring at first, and an option would always be nice, but really it's fine.

Yeah, it will take some time to get used to but it will work out in the end.

I use the d-pad btw, not the analog. :p

I get Gears 3 and buy RE4 again for the 4th time and guess what? I play RE4 again while Gears 3 will collect dust again. Fucking LOVE this game. I must say that this is the best made game in the past 10 years.

Also Riot gun>>>>Striker. The Striker never clicked with me.
Killer 7>>>>Broken Butterfly. I know you can get an extra stat for the BB, but that's good for the next play through. Killer 7 is godly and feels "right".

tha_devil

Aigis said:
It's good. You'll be fine.
I was used to it in 10 seconds :D

This game reminds me how good it is, i finished it on cube and wii and now loving it on ps3. I tried resident evil 5 move edition, but just couldnt get into that game (mind you i finished it with normal controller, but playing it for 2nd time was just meh).

Koyuga

People would never shut up about how useless the TMP is, but it still takes down Mendez in seconds. That and the BAR <3

Curufinwe

Yup. I went TMP-less on the Wii version and Mendez killed me a bunch of times. But I killed him last night on the 360 on my first attempt thanks to the TMP.

bigben85 said:
I tried the Wii version last night with the CG controller and right away, I notice that I could aim and hold steady aiming much much better. The 360 aiming seems very sensitive and twitchy.

I loaded up the PS2 version last night I and didn't see any difference in the twitchiness of the aiming compared to the 360 version.

Koralsky

I'm sure there's my question is answered in the earlier posts, but can someone confirm on what version, visuals wise, is based HD version of RE4? PS2/PC or NGC/Wii?

Thanks in advance.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Host Samurai said:
I get Gears 3 and buy RE4 again for the 4th time and guess what? I play RE4 again while Gears 3 will collect dust again. Fucking LOVE this game. I must say that this is the best made game in the past 10 years.

Also Riot gun>>>>Striker. The Striker never clicked with me.
Killer 7>>>>Broken Butterfly. I know you can get an extra stat for the BB, but that's good for the next play through. Killer 7 is godly and feels "right".

The Riot Gun looks pretty cool, but the Striker makes it obsolete in functionality. Similary, the Broken Butterfly is almost indisputably the better gun when maxed (the Killer7 only has a faster firing rate, but who needs to fire a Magnum quickly outside of Mercenaries?). I always had it maxed well before the end of the game.

But hell, pick whatever guns you want. Beauty of RE4. If you think it looks awesome, then use it. Fully upgrading the original Shotgun gives you some long range shots.

Does anyone else notice how your first initial playthrough is signifigantly more challenging than playing on Normal after you complete it?

Ganados take a hell of a lot of shots to put down. Last night one took two to the chest followed by about six to the head and it was still alive.

The cabin fight with Luis also is extended.

Im pretty sure some boss fights are longer than when you play a 2nd time.

I still learn something new every time I play this. During the first village visit, I underestimated their swarming skills like an idiot and was playing round robin with them all around a house...until I climbed up the church tower and figured I'd lead them all up one at a time.

They started throwing fire bombs up there. Ive beaten this game so many times and I never knew that that occurred.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
JumpingTheGun said:
Does anyone else notice how your first initial playthrough is signifigantly more challenging than playing on Normal after you complete it?

Ganados take a hell of a lot of shots to put down. Last night one took two to the chest followed by about six to the head and it was still alive.

I'm on my first playthrough. It still only takes one headshot, roundhouse kick, and three slashes max to kill any Ganado. I'm still in the Village, though (after securing the ballistics), and I think they get tougher as you continue.

I think that you're just more proficient the second time through, even if you've played it multiple times in the past. :)

I agree that there are SO many minute intracacies in this game, little touches that really set it apart. For example, after beating El Gigante for the first time, zoom into his face. You'll see the life in his eyes slowly fade, and his eyelids droop.

JumpingTheGun said:

I still learn something new every time I play this. During the first village visit, I underestimated their swarming skills like an idiot and was playing round robin with them all around a house...until I climbed up the church tower and figured I'd lead them all up one at a time.

They started throwing fire bombs up there. Ive beaten this game so many times and I never knew that that occurred.
The game has dynamic difficulty. It could have just been higher than normal at those points.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Xtortionist said:
The game has dynamic difficulty. It could have just been higher than normal at those points.

Wow, I don't think I knew this. Are there any details surrounding the dynamic difficulty? What it uses as a trigger for increasing/decreasing the difficulty?

Smision said:
this is so fucking unfair...gears 3 and RE4 in the same week. it's like picking which child you love more. Or knowing which child you love more, but the newer child just cost you $60, so you feel obligated.

I got both last night (RE4 on PS3) and I played Gears 3 for about 3 hours straight then finished the night with RE4 because well RE4 in the nighttime = awesome.

I have to say, playing RE4 last night got me thinking about how fucking fantastical this game is, it's still creepy and spooky to this day, I hope they do a similar formula for RE6.

The Xtortionist said:

All my years playing and after all the articles Ive read Ive never once heard this. I need proof please.

Koralsky said:
I'm sure there's my question is answered in the earlier posts, but can someone confirm on what version, visuals wise, is based HD version of RE4? PS2/PC or NGC/Wii?

Thanks in advance.

It's the Gamecube/Wii version. It looks great.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ken Masters said:
so there are no difficulty settings in this game?
You can choose easy or normal, then professional once you beat it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Chacranajxy said:
So how's the slowdown on the 360 version? Is there less or more than in the PS3 version?

The slowdown in the PS3 version isn't worth complaining about so unless the 360 version is worse (which it never is, amirite?) it shouldn't be an issue.

Curufinwe

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The slowdown in the PS3 version isn't worth complaining about so unless the 360 version is worse (which it never is, amirite?) it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm up to 3-1 on the 360 and haven't noticed any yet, but I won't claim there's none without something like FRAPS to back me up.

I didn't realize the HD versions had Easy mode.

K' Dash

hey_it's_that_dog said:

I noticed slow down when Bitorez was transforming before you fight him (almost unnoticeable), apart from that, nada, rock solid 30fps.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Curufinwe said:
I'm up to 3-1 on the 360 and haven't noticed any yet, but I won't claim there's none without something like FRAPS to back me up.

I didn't realize the HD versions had Easy mode.

Toss a grenade into 6 or 7 guys and see what happens. That's the only time I notice slowdown. Also, there might have been a touch of a frame rate problem at the waterworks area just after the Lake and the first encounter with head sprout Ganados.

Top Bottom