• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

found this on Gamasutra (article/blog about dynamic difficulties in games):

Resident Evil 4 (and I believe 5?) use a simpler but equally effective system that tracks how frequently you perished in recent gameplay, and then decides whether to ratchet the difficulty up or down. I believe RE4 uses actually fixed difficulty levels, rather than individually manipulating the various factors. Basically, if you keep getting creamed by the same guy, the game will knock it down a level and see if you can squeak by yet. It is, despite being simpler in some ways, equally effective as L4D, though it does not offer the same level of replay.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Useful tip for Regenerators, it will definitely save up bullets.

- Shotgun them on the leg
- Avoid their leap attack
- Quickly approach them
- Knife them to death
- Rinse and repeat to the others
It definitely works though (but probably not for Iron Maiden). :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Xtortionist said:
That sounds right. Basically a super basic ai director. Just enough to get you past the village or cabin or water hall if you're having a hard time.
Or that god damn room with Ashley right after the first Garrador fight.

Curufinwe said:
There's only Normal to start with. Beat Normal and you unlock Professional.

only at startup on the jp version, has to be onlocked on other versions.

JumpingTheGun>definitely true on RE5, there's a 1 to 10 dificulty scale, the chosen difficulty is a window in those 1-10. (and yes I think it worked a bit like that in RE4 too)

Dai101

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Useful tip for Regenerators, it will definitely save up bullets.

- Shotgun them on the leg
- Avoid their leap attack
- Quickly approach them
- Knife them to death
- Rinse and repeat to the others
It definitely works though (but probably not for Iron Maiden). :p

Easier way:
- Run to the monster
- Just as you're about 2 bodies distance hit down/back
- The monster will try to grab you/attack you but he will fail miserably
- Just run through him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4-IfXf3f-8&feature=player_detailpage#t=276s

Where is the fun in
cheating the system to avoid an encounter with a Regenerator? Those fights are some of, if not the most intense in the game =D

I must also say that the enemy placement in this game is pure genius and really sets it not only above RE5, but in pretty much any game I have ever played. RE5's enemy placement seems so rushed and amateur in comparison where they just throw any enemy at you to swarm you with giving the player limited strategy. In RE4 there are dozens of ways to get through each area.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Toss a grenade into 6 or 7 guys and see what happens. That's the only time I notice slowdown. Also, there might have been a touch of a frame rate problem at the waterworks area just after the Lake and the first encounter with head sprout Ganados.

360 version:

I was looking out for slowdown through that rainy area, because that's one of the places where Dolphin takes a hit (had to switch to DX11, DX9 wouldn't run full speed). I didn't spot any. The only slowdown I've noticed is that there's a couple of small hitches on the save screen, of all places. The typewriter arm thing doesn't move smoothly.

K' Dash

Rez said:
Or that god damn room with Ashley right after the first Garrador fight.

Ah, that room, I almost gave up at that same place the first time I played the game in 2005, i just shot everything and activated the crank, made ashley turn the crank and protected her from incoming monks, after that is a piece of cake.

Dai101

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Where is the fun in
cheating the system to avoid an encounter with a Regenerator? Those fights are some of, if not the most intense in the game =D

Saving ammo, also is faster-

Definitley true, but by that point in the game ammo isn't really an issue (for me at least). It's more about what youre equipped with and personally, a severely upgraded BAR is preferred =)

def sim

Cheating the AI is to do as well as you can in a run, because that is pretty damn fun after you've played the game several times.

Holy shit, I watched a video of someone killing Verdugo with only a knife. Must have taken forever to develop that strategy. I can't beat him even with a full arsenal... I always use the rocket lawnchair.

Curufinwe

Leondexter said:
360 version:

I was looking out for slowdown through that rainy area, because that's one of the places where Dolphin takes a hit (had to switch to DX11, DX9 wouldn't run full speed). I didn't spot any. The only slowdown I've noticed is that there's a couple of small hitches on the save screen, of all places. The typewriter arm thing doesn't move smoothly.

It would be great if that's the only place the 360 version slows down.

There's been talk of audio problems, but the sound is good enough that my silly pug flipped out at started barking at the TV screen during the first two chapters whenever the dog was on screen making noise.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
revolverjgw said:
Holy shit, I watched a video of someone killing Verdugo with only a knife. Must have taken forever to develop that strategy. I can't beat him even with a full arsenal... I always use the rocket lawnchair.

I always used the freeze canisters and managed to take him out.

There's a video out there of someone beating the final boss using only eggs.

revolverjgw said:

Me too. Forget using it in
the room with the two blind guys

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, even after all these years the first Garrador fight still makes my heart beat super fast. Just the way everything is set up...the way you see him standing there. It's like you know shit's about to go down once you open that door. :lol

I played about an hour of RE4 last night. I'm quite disappointed so far but I suppose that's no surprise.

It started off okay. The lack of AA is already evident, but because of the game's colour palette I don't think it's as big an issue as I thought it would be. Slapping some MLAA or FXAA on it would have been a cheap and easy option, assuming the framerate would hold up (which it really should). 720p is also not an issue as the game still looks quite sharp and scales better than most. Nay, the biggest problem with the visuals is the textures. In typical Japanese fashion, the filtering is some god awful mip-mapping that just makes distant textures look like screen noise. It's not evident in stills - in fact that's when the game looks it's best; it's when you start to move the camera, the entire scene crawls in a ghastly way. Add jaggies to this mix and it makes the game look seriously ugly in motion.

I've not encountered any framerate problems yet, but I did see a few minor stutters in cutscenes. For example, when the camera pans down past the police car's lights, it dropped a couple of frames. Generally the game has felt pretty responsive. But here we come to the worst part of it all - the changed controls. Swapping square with X is confusing the shit out of me. It's near game breaking as i'm an hour in and still have not gotten used to it. In critical fight or flight situations, I am still accidentally reloading my weapon when I meant to pull off a last minute shot. The inventory controls further compound the problem because here they still allow X to act as select. I don't know if the PS2 game mapped move item to triangle, but that's another annoyance I continue to endure.

Finally, i'd have to say the worst aesthetic shortcoming is not graphical, it's the sound design, or lack-thereof. In a completely squandered opportunity, the game remains in stereo with lower quality sound effects than I remember. A minimal amount of effort has been put in here, while the MGS collection is adding 5.1, and the new GOW: Origins collection even features some godly sounding DTS.

All points considered, I am not sure if I will even take the time to continue. With Gears 3 out, CVX next week (which I really hope doesn't suffer the same fate) and the far better ICO collection too, there is really no point wasting more on this. I'll stick to the PC version - it is much better than this port, "not true to the source material" be damned (especially when it looks like garbage here). Then it's Dolphin in future when I have the computing power.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I played about an hour of RE4 last night. I'm quite disappointed so far but I suppose that's no surprise.

I'll stick to the PC version - it is much better than this port, "not true to the source material" be damned (especially when it looks like garbage here). Then it's Dolphin in future when I have the computing power.

You had me going until the punch line. "Stick to the PC version". Ha! Good one!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
revolverjgw said:

The hardest part of an all knife run for me was the double gigante fight. Also some spots on the island.

Sullichin

I NEED SCISSORS said:

It started off okay. The lack of AA is already evident, but because of the game's colour palette I don't think it's as big an issue as I thought it would be. Slapping some MLAA or FXAA on it would have been a cheap and easy option, assuming the framerate would hold up (which it really should). 720p is also not an issue as the game still looks quite sharp and scales better than most. Nay, the biggest problem with the visuals is the textures. In typical Japanese fashion, the filtering is some god awful mip-mapping that just makes distant textures look like screen noise. It's not evident in stills - in fact that's when the game looks it's best; it's when you start to move the camera, the entire scene crawls in a ghastly way. Add jaggies to this mix and it makes the game look seriously ugly in motion.

I've not encountered any framerate problems yet, but I did see a few minor stutters in cutscenes. For example, when the camera pans down past the police car's lights, it dropped a couple of frames. Generally the game has felt pretty responsive. But here we come to the worst part of it all - the changed controls. Swapping square with X is confusing the shit out of me. It's near game breaking as i'm an hour in and still have not gotten used to it. In critical fight or flight situations, I am still accidentally reloading my weapon when I meant to pull off a last minute shot. The inventory controls further compound the problem because here they still allow X to act as select. I don't know if the PS2 game mapped move item to triangle, but that's another annoyance I continue to endure.

Finally, i'd have to say the worst aesthetic shortcoming is not graphical, it's the sound design, or lack-thereof. In a completely squandered opportunity, the game remains in stereo with lower quality sound effects than I remember. A minimal amount of effort has been put in here, while the MGS collection is adding 5.1, and the new GOW: Origins collection even features some godly sounding DTS.

All points considered, I am not sure if I will even take the time to continue. With Gears 3 out, CVX next week (which I really hope doesn't suffer the same fate) and the far better ICO collection too, there is really no point wasting more on this. I'll stick to the PC version - it is much better than this port, "not true to the source material" be damned (especially when it looks like garbage here). Then it's Dolphin in future when I have the computing power.

I really would not agree that this "looks like garbage". :/ Game is looking better than I've ever seen it.

Leondexter said:
You had me going until the punch line. "Stick to the PC version". Ha! Good one!

It's more of a reflection on how bad this port is - when a famously compromised PC version offers a better experience (with mods of course), we have problems.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's more of a reflection on how bad this port is - when a famously compromised PC version offers a better experience (with mods of course), we have problems.

Oh right, you're that guy who thinks those extremely sharp and ugly-as-fuck mod textures on the PC are a good thing.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

It's a lazy port, to be sure, but nothing short of a complete geometry replacement can save the even PC port, which goes well beyond lazy to outright shitty. And if you don't like the sound in this port, you really won't like it in Dolphin. It has a couple of deal breakers in the sound department. Graphically, it's incredible, though, and the controls are perfect.

Ifrit

So, I've been out of the loop on this one, what's the general opinion on this port, definitive version?

I know it doesn't have move support or AA, but does it use the GCN or PS2 assets (the GT review made me think they were using the PS2 ones :( )? real time cutscenes?

Risette

A Good Citizen
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Oh right, you're that guy who thinks those extremely sharp and ugly-as-fuck mod textures on the PC are a good thing.
Yeah it's hard to take him seriously with that in mind.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Uh, yes they are when you are running it in 1080p and the resolution demands sharper assets. It's better than the ugly-as-shit mip-mapped textures in this HD port. Whenever the camera moves, i'd prefer not having textures which look like they are going to leap out the screen and slit my wrists.

Most are ripped straight from the GC version anyway.

Sullichin

Ifrit said:
So, I've been out of the loop on this one, what's the general opinion on this port, definitive version?

I know it doesn't have move support or AA, but does it use the GCN or PS2 assets (the GT review made me think they were using the PS2 ones :( )? real time cutscenes?

GCN port, real time cutscenes. I think it looks really good, some people in this thread are definitely more picky. Sound is definitely compressed but I remember it being kind of poopy in the GCN version too.

Ifrit

Sullichin said:
GCN port, real time cutscenes. I think it looks really good, some people in this thread are definitely more picky. Sound is definitely compressed but I remember it being kind of poopy in the GCN version too.

That seems like the definitive version to me (minus motion controls of course)

so1337

This'll be my 9th (I believe?) playthrough. It blows my mind how much stuff I'm still discovering after all these years:

You can keep the bracelets from dropping into the manure pit by shutting it's lid with your gun. Actually I realized this when I was watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Brad on the other hand did not.

You can shoot Dr. Salvador from the window that Bitorres jumps out of (Preferably with a rifle).

You can kill the ganados that push the first boulder off of the cliff. They'll be hanging out on the bridge that you and Ashley will cross later on in the game.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Uh, yes they are when you are running it in 1080p and the resolution demands sharper assets. It's better than the ugly-as-shit mip-mapped textures in this HD port. Whenever the camera moves, i'd prefer not having textures which look like they are going to leap out the screen and slit my wrists.

"most" GC textures, with random ugly out of place looking fan made textures, on top of the shitty PS2 models and lighting. lol.

revolverjgw said:

is there a reward for not using the RL?

and yes PC version looks like frankenstein. Glad capcom kept it uniform.

TheHakku

Smision said:
is there a reward for not using the RL?
Saving 30,000 pesetas.

so1337 said:
You can keep the bracelets from dropping into the manure pit by shutting it's lid with your gun.
Aw MAN. Got both dirty bracelets. Agh. I never knew that this whole time.

Just lost a lot of ammo during the part with
Ashley in the heart of the mansion. Now ready to get split up.

This bottle caps thing is going to prevent me from 100% trophies. Stupid shooting gallery....

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
so1337 said:
You can keep the bracelets from dropping into the manure pit by shutting it's lid with your gun. Actually I realized this when I was watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Brad on the other hand did not.
Mind = Blown.

Sullichin

TheHakku said:
Saving 30,000 pesetas.

Just lost a lot of ammo during the part with
Ashley in the heart of the mansion. Now ready to get split up.

This bottle caps thing is going to prevent me from 100% trophies. Stupid shooting gallery....

I knew you can shoot the lid on top of the shit water, but for the first bracelet I accidentally opened the lid again. And then it won't let you close it. :|

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just brought out my GCN and fired up the original for comparison's sake, and sadly the in-game (non-cutscene) sound effects are noticeably better than they are here. The HD version effects are definitely better than the PS2 version - they don't have that nasty scratchiness to them - but they do sound a bit muffled compared to the original.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Fucking art direction, how does it work? Insanely sharp textures don't do the game any favors when it clashes so obscenely with the geometry and visual design.

But anyway, you should check this out for a blow-by-blow comparison of just a -few- of the things missing from the PC/PS2 version that no amount of sharpen filtered textures can improve.

so1337

Sullichin said:
I knew you can shoot the lid on top of the shit water, but for the first bracelet I accidentally opened the lid again. And then it won't let you close it. :|
Yeah, I noticed this aswell. Kinda weird you'd be able to do that in the first place. Opening the lid serves no purpose other than screwing you over.
TheHakku said:
Rewrite said:
Mind = Blown.
THIS GAME WAS MADE BY CRAZY PEOPLE.

so1337 said:
This'll be my 9th (I believe?) playthrough. It blows my mind how much stuff I'm still discovering after all these years:

You can shoot Dr. Salvador from the window that Bitorres jumps out of (Preferably with a rifle).

You can kill the ganados that push the first boulder off of the cliff. They'll be hanging out on the bridge that you and Ashley will cross later on in the game.

Holy shit!!! mind blown. I have bought this game 4X and played through countless amount of times and never heard about that. Its truly incredible how there are that many new things to discover.

Alpha_Tango said:
So the Separate Ways cutscenes are not in real time?
This was to be expected. They never were in real time before.

Did someone use 'most of the textures are from the game cube version' to defend the PC texture patch? All of the textures in the HD version are from the game cube version... So what's his problem?

atre324

Host Samurai said:
Holy shit!!! mind blown. I have bought this game 4X and played through countless amount of times and never heard about that. Its truly incredible how there are that many new things to discover.

I love killing fish and selling them to the merchant. Large Bass are worth a whopping 2.3k. I should really find out if they spawn infinitely after the Del Lago fight by the east pier...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to ask again, but has anyone tried running Resident Evil 4 from the US Xbox Live on a non-US console? Specifically, I'm wondering if it will work on a Japanese region 360 (XBLA games are always region-free, but most of the Xbox Originals are region-locked, even though they let you purchase and download them).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Watching some Gamersyde direct feed videos it's apparent that the 360 version has better in-game audio, and sounds very close to the GCN. PS3 am fail. :(

K' Dash

Zefah said:
I'm going to ask again, but has anyone tried running Resident Evil 4 from the US Xbox Live on a non-US console? Specifically, I'm wondering if it will work on a Japanese region 360 (XBLA games are always region-free, but most of the Xbox Originals are region-locked, even though they let you purchase and download them).

I'm not from US but I downloaded it, I have noticed that you can download ANY title if you do it immediately after they put it in the store, I did this for Dead Rising 2 Case Zero and Case West, when I changed my console for a new slim I couldn't download them, but at least I could play them and finish them, I was up at 4am waiting for MS to update the marketplace to make sure I was able to get RE4.

I hope this info can help you.

Dreamer RD

In cube/wii version costume changing was visible in cutscenes? Just changed to gangsta outfit and default jacket clothes appear in scenes.

SOLDIER

So I just want the straight bottom line answer: Is this the best looking version of RE4 yet? Or does the PC version after mods trump it?

Top Bottom