• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Curufinwe

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Swapping square with X is confusing the shit out of me. It's near game breaking as i'm an hour in and still have not gotten used to it. In critical fight or flight situations, I am still accidentally reloading my weapon when I meant to pull off a last minute shot.

Did you play RE 5?

AkuMifune

Banned
SOLDIER said:
So I just want the straight bottom line answer: Is this the best looking version of RE4 yet? Or does the PC version after mods trump it?
Depends on your preference, really. To me, it's easily the best looking version. Sure you can jack it up on the PC to get the textures all super clean, but the PC one had crappier everything to begin with in the first place, and the game looks really odd when you mess it up that much. This has a bit grainier look than that, but it serves the game better overall.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Uh, yes they are when you are running it in 1080p and the resolution demands sharper assets. It's better than the ugly-as-shit mip-mapped textures in this HD port. Whenever the camera moves, i'd prefer not having textures which look like they are going to leap out the screen and slit my wrists.

Most are ripped straight from the GC version anyway.

Does not compute...if they're straight from the GC version, they'd look just like the ones in this port.

In any case, the PS2/PC version's biggest problem, again, is the awful low-polygon geometry. Until that's fixed, you're just polishing a turd.

B-Dex

I got to 1-2 but I'm having an urge to replay all of the Resident Evils. What should I do GAF? Just continue and beat 4HD then do a RE marathon or just start from the beginning and do the marathon now? (I have the next few days off :D)

SOLDIER said:
So I just want the straight bottom line answer: Is this the best looking version of RE4 yet? Or does the PC version after mods trump it?

It is unless you count the Dolphin emulated version, which can be run at a higher resolution with AA and filtering. For your own sake, steer clear of the awful PC version. No matter how much you mod it, it's still the low-poly PS2 version geometry.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
SOLDIER said:

Depends on you much you care about texture sharpness vs. overall artistic coherence. Someone else will have to chime in about the lighting models and effects and whether they are present or moddable on PC.

luka said:
Watching some Gamersyde direct feed videos it's apparent that the 360 version has better in-game audio, and sounds very close to the GCN. PS3 am fail. :(

How the fuck did this happen? Good thing I don't know what I'm missing. :/

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I didn't play any version of Resident Evil 4 ever.

I know the Gamecube version has better textures and real time cutscenes. I also know that this version is based on those textures.

However, does this version has the extra stuff from the... PS2 version I believe?

I mean, that prologue where you play as a girl or something.

Like I said, I never actually played any version of Resident Evil 4 (as every version was a shittier port of the Gamecube game). So bare with me. :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
drizzle said:

I know the Gamecube version has better textures and real time cutscenes. I also know that this version is based on those textures.

However, does this version has the extra stuff from the... PS2 version I believe?

Like I said, I never actually played any version of Resident Evil 4 (as every version was a shittier port of the Gamecube game). So bare with me. :D

It has everything that has ever been in a release of RE4. Does the OP not have all this info? People are asking the same questions over and over.

edit: yeah, it looks like OP needs to add a FAQ

luka

Loves Robotech S1
drizzle said:

bear with me
:p

This version has all the original assets, textures, environmental effects and ambient lighting from the Gamecube version, plus all of the extra scenarios and costumes from the PS2 version.

The downsides are missing bump maps and slightly degraded audio/minor slowdown in the PS3 version.

(OP really needs to be updated with answers to the more common questions)

edit: lol

Host Samurai said:
I get Gears 3 and buy RE4 again for the 4th time and guess what? I play RE4 again while Gears 3 will collect dust again. Fucking LOVE this game. I must say that this is the best made game in the past 10 years.
Same here. Haven't even installed Gears 3 on the hard drive yet. And I probably won't before at least the next weekend. Will probably finish RE4 twice first - normal and professional.

You know how most of your favourite games become your favourite games mainly because of nostalgia but when you play them again they just can't bring that old feeling back? RE4's still almost as good as it was at its release. I have finished it multiple times and yet I still keeps me in front of the TV a couple of hours EVERY time. Unbelieveable.

Best game ever made.

Thank you Mikami.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K' Dash said:
I'm not from US but I downloaded it, I have noticed that you can download ANY title if you do it immediately after they put it in the store, I did this for Dead Rising 2 Case Zero and Case West, when I changed my console for a new slim I couldn't download them, but at least I could play them and finish them, I was up at 4am waiting for MS to update the marketplace to make sure I was able to get RE4.

I hope this info can help you.

Thanks for the reply.

What region is your Xbox 360 hardware?

I have a Japanese Xbox 360, but I'm in the US right now. I've always been able to access the US Xbox Live, but have experienced region locking issues with Xbox Originals (haven't ever tried Games on Demand stuff).

Tomasooie

Zefah said:
Thanks for the reply.

I have a Japanese Xbox 360, but I'm in the US right now. I've always been able to access the US Xbox Live, but have experienced region locking issues with Xbox Originals (haven't ever tried Games on Demand stuff).
Someone said this a few pages back:

Hitoribhoshi said:
so the game on demand version of RE4 (and I guess CVX will be the same) is NTSC U and NTSC J (excluding china) locked.

so owners of jp 360 systems in the US you can dl the game on demand version and run it on your system.

Not sure about the european version yet though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
hey_it's_that_dog said:
It has everything that has ever been in a release of RE4. Does the OP not have all this info? People are asking the same questions over and over.

edit: yeah, it looks like OP needs to add a FAQ
The op does not say what it has what it doesn't. It doesn't even say if it has Gamecube or PS2 assets.

It has great info about the game itself, but I want to find that out playing it. :D

luka said:
bear with me
:p

This version has all the original assets, textures, environmental effects and ambient lighting from the Gamecube version, plus all of the extra scenarios and costumes from the PS2 version.

The downsides are missing bump maps and slightly degraded audio/minor slowdown in the PS3 version.

(OP really needs to be updated with answers to the more common questions)

edit: lol
English is not my main speaking language, bear with me. :p

Wait, so the PS3 doesn't have bump maps, but the 360 version has? Or neither version has the bump maps AND the PS3 has slowdowns?

Leondexter said:
Does not compute...if they're straight from the GC version, they'd look just like the ones in this port.

It computes perfectly well. He says they are 'extremely sharp', when the reality is that they simply have much better texture filtering on the PC, and the game is being run at a higher resolution to boot.

Although I wasn't the one who suggested they look any different (he did), I use Albert's texture pack which is the one with textures ripped from the GC version, and any extra textures that may have been added barely look out of place to me. Then again i'm not critically anal that my game had to be 100% made by the hands of Mikami and co.

I'm not going to say the PC version is the best possible version (the game running in Dolphin is), but it seems to me like the majority of its detractors saw a couple of screens when it launched in a pitiful state, or watched a Youtube video of some gross over-bloomed ENB series shit, or saw some other shitty texture mod, and have maintained their stance since. I have actually played it to completion on PC with tastefully done mods and would take it over this HD port any day, less geometry and all. That's the point of contention here, and it's a poor reflection on the effort that Capcom has put in.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm not going to say the PC version is the best possible version (the game running in Dolphin is), but it seems to me like the majority of its detractors saw a couple of screens when it launched in a pitiful state, or watched a Youtube video of some gross over-bloomed ENB series shit, or saw some other shitty texture mod, and have maintained their stance since. I have actually played it to completion on PC with tastefully done mods and would take it over this HD port any day, less geometry and all. That's the point of contention here, and it's a poor reflection on the effort that Capcom has put in.
No. I saw your screens too; it still looks gross. Less gross than the unmodded version but still gross.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
notsol337 said:
I got a 1600 point card not realizing that RE4 was labeled as a 360 game, so now I have 1600 points to spend too! Yay!
Oh no, you're right, it's a 360 games on demand. I'll have to add my CC back in. And since I'm not from the US, getting a CC not from the US to register on a US live account is a fucking pain in the ass.

This is such bullshit. They should allow me to purchase games on demand with Microsoft Points.

K' Dash

Zefah said:
Thanks for the reply.

My xbox is from US, I import everything from US amazon, the email attached to you account is from US?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I NEED SCISSORS said:
If you think it looks as gross as the HD port does then I have nothing more to say here.
HD port looks fine. It's basically the GC/Wii version without dithering running in 720p, minus EMBM. Dolphin will be the better way to play it once it provides more stable emulation though.

Nothing can make the PC version look good. Haphazardly integrated HIGH REZZZ textures don't fix the awful blocky PS2 models, watered down environments, and flat/nonexistent PS2 lighting.

Davey Cakes

TheHakku said:
Saving 30,000 pesetas.
Well, not if you're able to play conservatively. You can always use the free rocket launcher from an earlier area. Takes discipline to manage the inventory with all that space taken up, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Additionally, 30,000 pesetas isn't even that much if you're good at collecting money and treasures.

All this said, no RL on the first run of the game is a must, just for the experience.

K' Dash

drizzle said:
Oh no, you're right, it's a 360 games on demand. I'll have to add my CC back in. And since I'm not from the US, getting a CC not from the US to register on a US live account is a fucking pain in the ass.

This is such bullshit. They should allow me to purchase games on demand with Microsoft Points.

You can pay with points, just press x when you're about to buy it.

notsol337 said:
I got a 1600 point card not realizing that RE4 was labeled as a 360 game, so now I have 1600 points to spend too! Yay!

drizzle said:

Huh? You can swap between the default currency charge from a debit or credit card (in this case, US$19.99) and the equivalent amount in MS points with the X or Y button at the confirm screen.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
K' Dash said:
You can pay with points, just press x when you're about to buy it.
MightyHedgehog said:
Huh? You can swap between the default currency charge from a debit or credit card (in this case, US$19.99) and the equivalent amount in MS points with the X or Y button at the confirm screen.
I remember that, but last time I went to check something, I couldn't find it anymore.
Maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Thanks for reminding me, though!

Ocaso

I'm pretty late to this controversy (bought the game on PSN regardless, too good a deal to pass up), but did RE4 on Gamecube really have bump-mapping? I know it had specular mapping and that it appears to be missing in this version, but where was bump mapping used? Can't say I ever noticed it.

drizzle said:
I remember that, but last time I went to check something, I couldn't find it anymore.
Maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Thanks for reminding me, though!
When in doubt, look at the legend found at the bottom of the screen for special face button commands for the current page.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hrm... so does this port add anything to the game other than higher resolutions? I know it's supposed to add minor slowdown and supposedly removes bump-mapping... so I'm trying to figure out if I should just play the Wii version again and run it through my scaler...

scitek

Chacranajxy said:
hrm... so does this port add anything to the game other than higher resolutions? I know it's supposed to add minor slowdown and supposedly removes bump-mapping... so I'm trying to figure out if I should just play the Wii version again and run it through my scaler...

No, it's not as good IMO because you get the Wii controls along with all other control schemes with the Wii version.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Chacranajxy said:

Whoa... removes bump mapping? Slowdown?

Is this a port of the PS2 version of the game, then?

Maybe, I'll just stick emulating the GC version on the Dolphin.

Ocaso

scitek said:
No, it's not as good IMO because you get the Wii controls along with all other control schemes with the Wii version.

I don't know about that. The Wii version, even upscaled, will at most only show 1/3 the amount of detail the 720p version does. I tried playing the Wii version recently and while it's certainly fun, it looks like a blurry mess onscreen. I'd sacrifice Wii controls for a sharper image.

scitek

Zefah said:

It removes the EMBM from the Wii version, the slimy texture on Salazar's boss form and stuff like that. It's not major in the end, but it's fucking stupid. And the PS3 version has slowdown, which is also fucking stupid.

Ocaso said:
I don't know about that. The Wii version, even upscaled, will at most only show 1/3 the amount of detail the 720p version does. I tried playing the Wii version recently and while it's certainly fun, it looks like a blurry mess onscreen. I'd sacrifice Wii controls for a sharper image.

Yeah, but the sharper image costs you an extra $20. People want to know if it's worth $20 just for the improved resolution, and I say it's not.

EDIT: Especially if you have a PC capable of emulating the Wii version in Dolphin.

Danny Dudekisser

Zefah said:

I'm not stating those things as fact, but those are things I've gathered from what I've read. A dude from a few posts ago also reminds me that the specular lighting is apparently gone.

But it's still based on the GC version.

Danny Dudekisser

Ocaso said:

That's more because of the Wii's shitty video output than because the game is inherently a blurry mess.

But 1/3 of the detail? How do you figure that? I might be confusing myself, but the PS3/360 version is itself an upscale... I would think the two would look approximately equal if you scaled the Wii/GC version on Dolphin to the same resolution... apart from the fact that the latter would have all the visual effects intact.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ocaso said:
1/4

The GC/Wii version runs at 360p on an actual console. It also has awful dithering.

I bought this yesterday for 7,50€, turns out it was a mistake in the store and now the price is 10€ (20 without ps+) so I'm glad I bought it early :p. Never played RE4 before
(please don't kill me)
but I heard great things about it and I'm loving it! In fact, this game is the reason I took ps+, to bad we don't get RE2 and 3 like the US :(

Dai101

Banned
notsol337 said:

drizzle said:

You CAN buy Games on Demand with MS Spacebucks ;)

Ocaso

Chacranajxy said:
That's more because of the Wii's shitty video output than because the game is inherently a blurry mess.

But 1/3 of the detail? How do you figure that? I might be confusing myself, but the PS3/360 version is itself an upscale... I would think the two would look approximately equal if you scaled the Wii/GC version on Dolphin to the same resolution... apart from the fact that the latter would have all the visual effects intact.

It's simple, the most the Wii can render is 640x480, which is only 1/3 the resolution of a 720p image. If you run the Wii version through Dolphin, then you'll certainly get the same quality image or an even better one than the PS3/X360 ports, but that applies only to people with PCs capable of doing so and the know-how to do so. If you're talking about hooking up a console to a TV, no matter what scaler you use, an upscaled image will not look as good as a natively rendered image.

Aigis said:
1/4

The GC/Wii version runs at 360p on actual console. It also has awful dithering.

No wonder it looked so damn blurry.

Danny Dudekisser

Ocaso said:
It's simple, the most the Wii can render is 640x480, which is only 1/3 the resolution of a 720p image. If you run the Wii version through Dolphin, then you'll certainly get the same quality image or an even better one than the PS3/X360 ports, but that applies only to people with PCs capable of doing so and the know-how to do so. If you're talking about hooking up a console to a TV, no matter what scaler you use, an upscaled image will not look as good as a natively rendered image.

oh, I think we're on the same page, then. Never mind.

venom2124

ProfessorMoran said:
How many of you guys are rebuying this game having already owned the GC or PS2 version?
I own both the gamecube and ps2 version, and I bought it again. For $10, it's a no-brainer having one of the greatest games ever made and not having it look like shit on an hdtv. I love the slight grain filter on the game. Reminds me of the early Silent Hills.

Top Bottom