• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Aigis said:
HD port looks fine. It's basically the GC/Wii version without dithering running in 720p, minus EMBM. Dolphin will be the better way to play it once it provides more stable emulation though.

Nothing can make the PC version look good. Haphazardly integrated HIGH REZZZ textures don't fix the awful blocky PS2 models, watered down environments, and flat/nonexistent PS2 lighting.

To be fair, the lighting in the PC version was fixed in an official patch, if I recall correctly.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
If you think it looks as gross as the HD port does then I have nothing more to say here.

I think the HD port looks great (though not as good as it should) and the PC version, no matter what you do to it, will always look like a PS2 port. In other words, gross.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Leondexter said:
To be fair, the lighting in the PC version was fixed in an official patch, if I recall correctly.
Well it was patched to have PS2 lighting iirc because on release it had like zero lighting, literally. The PS2 version's lighting is just incredibly dull and flat though.

Hitoribhoshi said:
so the game on demand version of RE4 (and I guess CVX will be the same) is NTSC U and NTSC J (excluding china) locked.

so owners of jp 360 systems in the US you can dl the game on demand version and run it on your system.

Not sure about the european version yet though.

just checked on the french marketplace, the game won't download on my jp system so I guess the european marketplace GoD version is PAL locked. (FUCK THIS)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm not going to say the PC version is the best possible version (the game running in Dolphin is), but it seems to me like the majority of its detractors saw a couple of screens when it launched in a pitiful state, or watched a Youtube video of some gross over-bloomed ENB series shit, or saw some other shitty texture mod, and have maintained their stance since. I have actually played it to completion on PC with tastefully done mods and would take it over this HD port any day, less geometry and all. That's the point of contention here, and it's a poor reflection on the effort that Capcom has put in.
I've played the PC version through to completion, twice. Twice for the PS2 port as well, and about a dozen times through GCN and Wii combined. I have a pretty good idea of each version's technical inadequacies. :p

Leondexter said:
It was fixed as far as bringing it up to the standards of the PS2 version. When it initially launched the PC port was completely devoid of any lighting whatsoever. That version was mistakenly released to retail in most regions. NA at the very least received the patched version which is identical to the PS2.

tha_devil

For anyone who has the japanese version like me, there is a psn-code on the inside of the coverart, what is it for? I dont have a japanese account and i dont want to create one if its nothing interesting. thanks.

luka said:
It was fixed as far as bringing it up to the standards of the PS2 version. When it initially launched the PC port was completely devoid of any lighting whatsoever. That version was mistakenly released to retail in most regions. NA at the very least received the patched version which is identical to the PS2.

Ew. Is there a lighting mod from the PC community, then? I thought that, at least, had been fixed.

woober

How long does the discount for RE4 HD last for PSN Plus? I want to get it but have a backlog I'm currently going through before I play it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
woober said:
How long does the discount for RE4 HD last for PSN Plus? I want to get it but have a backlog I'm currently going through before I play it.

If you're definitely going to play it someday, might as well buy it now, regardless of backlog. It's not going to be cheaper than 10 bucks for a long time, if ever. The only time a backlog should prevent a purchase is if that purchase is going to get cheaper by the time you get around to it, right?

Curufinwe

Dreamer RD said:
Yeah it shows up. So, extra "gangster" outfit was not included in cutscenes even in Wii version? Too bad, such a cool clothes :D

No. I just loaded up my Cleared Game save on the Wii to check, and Leon's wearing his regular clothes in the opening cutscene after I selected Special 2 as his outfit.

So... anyone here know where ULTROS! might be? Cause we kinda really need him to update the OP.

Xtyle

luka said:
bear with me
:p

This version has all the original assets, textures, environmental effects and ambient lighting from the Gamecube version, plus all of the extra scenarios and costumes from the PS2 version.

The downsides are missing bump maps and slightly degraded audio/minor slowdown in the PS3 version.

(OP really needs to be updated with answers to the more common questions)

edit: lol

It looks like either some shader or light is missing or slightly different. If you look at Leon, he doesn't have the dynamic lighting/shadow on his body (you can see easily that his back is darker in the GC and Wii ver). This probably is same for other characters and NPCs..it is just an observation, not sure if it is the HD ver being brighter or what

Psi

woober said:

I think they said it would last a week. Maybe two but if you ever plan to buy it, I would do it now.

Cruzader

Banned
Psi said:
Hmm. Here in the first paragraph it says it will only be one week.
I would buy it ASAP or else you gonna be bitching about not having time and why there isn't an extension/why graced updated in time blah blah.

Do it to saved us your whining. (not towards you PSI, in genral for those on the fence.)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
bigben85 said:
It looks like either some shader or light is missing or slightly different. If you look at Leon, he doesn't have the dynamic lighting/shadow on his body (you can see easily that his back is darker in the GC and Wii ver). This probably is same for other characters and NPCs..it is just an observation, not sure if it is the HD ver being brighter or what
It's really hard to say. The lighting is clearly not 100% identical to the original, but the way ambient light is projected on the characters seems accurate. It probably comes down to the way the Gamecube handles gamma and color space differently than the new machines - it's definitely not missing shaders or anything. I've been going through extremely slowly checking as many details as I can (I'm weird like that), and I can safely say that the glossy surfaces (be they actual bump maps or simply specular highlights painted into the color channel) is the only thing visibly missing from both versions. If that was the case it was likely mean having to go through and redo every texture by hand to recreate the effect, something they clearly wouldn't have time to do. Capcom probably gave them a week at most to pump this out. :p

Lonely1 said:
Might ask it here. How does the Ps3 version comapres to the Wii's throgh Dolphin?

I have the 360 version, not the PS3, but I can tell you that, if you have the PC to run it, the Dolphin version is the best graphically, no question. This HD version is a great resolution bump, and looks oh-so-much better than the older ones, but it's nothing more than that. On Dolphin, you can bump the resolution further, add filtering and AA, customize your controls, and even use a Wii remote if you're into that. But with that comes all the baggage that emulation brings: tweaking the configuration, finding the right build, and so on. RE4 still has a couple of sound bugs in Dolphin; the music tends to stop and never come back until you load a new area, and at random times, it does this loud, incessant buzzing sort of noise. That's the real killer - it's intolerable. On 3 PCs and at least a dozen builds (even ones that supposedly run RE4 perfectly), I've never managed to make it go away, even though it's not a recognized issue like the music.

Personally, the only issue (other than Capcom's cheapo port job) I have with the HD release is the re-mapped / non-configurable buttons. Nothing is added, but sometimes that's a good thing, because nothing's messed up. It's no REmake, but at least that prevents it from being Twin Snakes.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Curufinwe said:
So... anyone here know where ULTROS! might be? Cause we kinda really need him to update the OP.

So what should I add? Was asleep so I might have missed something. :p

I'll add the PS+ info and comparison videos.

Ocaso

I'd suggest you add details on the missing effects (no specular lighting, bump mapping, anti-aliasing) as well, for completeness' sake.

Curufinwe

It took me a good 30 minutes to get the first six bottle caps as opposed to 5 minutes of the Wii. And I used the BAR to shoot the Salazar heads... pretty sure I just always used the handgun on the GC version.

ULTROS! said:

A lot of people have asked basic stuff like does it have Separate Ways and The Mercenaries. Posting the image of the controls from page 29 is probably a good idea.

Ocaso said:
I'd suggest you add details on the missing effects (no specular lighting, bump mapping, anti-aliasing) as well, for completeness' sake.

Is that confirmed?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ULTROS! said:

a FAQ:

1) which version is this based on (GC/PS2/PC)?

2) are there differences between 360 and PS3?

3) what's this about missing effects?

4) is there really slowdown? how much?

5) is this better than emulating it with Dolphin?

6) does this have all the content from the PS2 version (Mercs, Another Order, Separate Ways, etc)?

These have been asked and answered many times in the thread.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Curufinwe said:
A lot of people have asked basic stuff like does it have Separate Ways and The Mercenaries. Posting the image of the controls from page 29 is probably a good idea.

Done and done, I just need a picture of the RE4 PS3 controls.

Graphical difference... Almost unnoticeable between the 360 and PS3?

ULTROS!

Added the FAQs, just tell me if I need to fix something or add more stuff. :)

consoul

ProfessorMoran said:
How many of you guys are rebuying this game having already owned the GC or PS2 version?
The e-Capcom PS3 boxset makes this my 16th copy of RE4.

Yes, I have a Resident Evil collecting disorder. 145 RE games and counting...

def sim

I just beat Gears 3, have a totally free morning, and now I'm downloading RE4 HD. I'm only on my third copy of this game, whatevs!

Sullichin

Ocaso said:

missing anti aliasing? did the game ever even have it?

AEREC

Was finally able to play this for a few hours tonight and it was great...Ive played teh GCN version first, then the PS2 version, then Wii, but skipped the PC version and as far as Im concerned this is the definitive version. Even upscaled the way it is, the game still looks great and hasnt lost any of it's charm to me.

It's too bad all this charm was lost on RE5.

It does kind of suck about the lack of creative acheivements though, they coudl have had some really good ones in there such as:

Completing the game with only the pistol
Upgrading all weapons
Getting 100% accuracy on a chapter
Completing a jewelry set
etc...

Such a missed opportunity, but at least they have one for the caps and beating it on Professional.

I just noticed that, in some areas at least, Leon's (and Ashley's) shadow is WAY too dark, it actually looks like some kind of mutant blob is trying to eat his legs. I fired up the Gamecube to compare, and it's meant to look much softer, and have varying degrees of darkness to look like part of it is being cast by his upper body and arms.

The area I noticed it in is just outside the barn or whatever it is, where you fight the Big Cheese.

Weird.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Leondexter said:
I just noticed that, in some areas at least, Leon's (and Ashley's) shadow is WAY too dark, it actually looks like some kind of mutant blob is trying to eat his legs. I fired up the Gamecube to compare, and it's meant to look much softer, and have varying degrees of darkness to look like part of it is being cast by his upper body and arms.

The area I noticed it in is just outside the barn or whatever it is, where you fight the Big Cheese.

Weird.
There seems to be some bugs on certain effects. When looking over the cliff where you see Del Lago, it's almost like the water effects get "attached" to Leon and move and stuff. It's weird.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Aigis said:
There seems to be some bugs on certain effects. When looking over the cliff where you see Del Lago, it's almost like the water effects get "attached" to Leon and move and stuff. It's weird.
It's a common issue with some modern shaders. You can also see it in the ending of Crysis here. Look at the edges of the dropship doors against the water in the distance.

demigod

Man, wtf is up with PSN? It doesnt resume downloads after getting booted from the PS Store. I feel like I just went back in time to 1996. My net has been crappy all week but it seems stable now. Just finished 2 freakin downloads in 30mins and BOTH files were corrupted when trying to install them, such BS!

Edit : Make that 3.

I'm enjoying RE4 again. It's not a great port, though. The visuals are not a huge upgrade, some bits of audio don't sound quite right and the saving/loading times are a bit too long. However, it is a huge improvement over the PS2 port.

B-Dex

I noticed in the church after finding the ballistics (lol) that the robed guy had a weird kind of dust veil over his face under his hood. Must be a shader issue or just random weird graphical glitch. It looked really bizarre.

The Xtortionist said:
On 360, controls for moving and aiming feel a little weird. Deadzones are too large I think. Anyone else feel the same way?

I really can't get my head around the controls. They should have at least either created a Type III with 'modern' shooter controls or just imported RE5 controls.

I have no idea what kind of work that would entail, but for a company with as many resources as Capcom has, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult.

Ho hum! I just have to persevere and get used to it!

B-Dex said:
I noticed in the church after finding the ballistics (lol) that the robed guy had a weird kind of dust veil over his face under his hood. Must be a shader issue or just random weird graphical glitch. It looked really bizarre.

Saddler? Yeah that sounds like a glitch. I don't recall seeing that when I did that section last night.

Zel3

Last time I played this game was back in 05 when it first came out. I'm noticing cut scenes I don't remember. Were these added in the PS2/Wii version?

Zel3 said:
Last time I played this game was back in 05 when it first came out. I'm noticing cut scenes I don't remember. Were these added in the PS2/Wii version?

There are a few optional cutscenes such as re-entering the room after meeting Mendez in the house. I don't think any new scenes were added, though.

TheHakku

The Xtortionist said:
On 360, controls for moving and aiming feel a little weird. Deadzones are too large I think. Anyone else feel the same way?
Controls are exactly the same as the PS2 version, so I'm totally content. I think it's perfect. RE5 had a preset with the same controls, but it wasn't the default.

Fox1304 said:
Did RE4HD price went up by the night ? I thought it was 7€50 yesterday and now it's 10€.

Yes it did, apparently they made an error and put it up for 15€ instead of 20€. If you were fast enough, you could buy it for 15 (or 7,50 with plus).

Fucking A. I broke down tonight and got it on 360 even though i am a PS Plus member. Those shity trophies really made a difference.

Looks fine to me. Cannot wait to get rid of this awful first handgun though.

ULTROS!

I was assuming that all your stuff get carried over to Professional mode (so that I could get the Chicago Typewriter). Is there an easier way to complete Professional mode? :p

You know, I've finished this game twice before on the Gamecube and the Wii edition, but I never noticed how strange it was that they have a random infected villager come in to chop up a tied-up Leon and Luis after they spent the time to inject Leon with the virus. Why? Rogue villager?

.la1n

Sullichin said:
missing anti aliasing? did the game ever even have it?

*shrug

I have played every version of the game at least once and I have not noticed any of these missing features or even realized they were there in first place...doubt you will either.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm not going to say the PC version is the best possible version (the game running in Dolphin is), but it seems to me like the majority of its detractors saw a couple of screens when it launched in a pitiful state, or watched a Youtube video of some gross over-bloomed ENB series shit, or saw some other shitty texture mod, and have maintained their stance since. I have actually played it to completion on PC with tastefully done mods and would take it over this HD port any day, less geometry and all. That's the point of contention here, and it's a poor reflection on the effort that Capcom has put in.
Even with mods, you're still stuck with ugly, compressed videos for cutscenes rather than proper realtime scenes. That pretty much kills the experience for me and makes for an inferior version.

I disagree that the Dolphin version is the best possible version as well. It simply isn't as polished due to small hitches related to Dolphin.

Now, if it's all about which version can look its absolute best performance be damned, Dolphin will win, but I value consistency too much to deal with it.

ULTROS!

They didn't fix the cutscenes in Separate Ways. :/

dark10x said:
Even with mods, you're still stuck with ugly, compressed videos for cutscenes rather than proper realtime scenes. That pretty much kills the experience for me and makes for an inferior version.

I disagree that the Dolphin version is the best possible version as well. It simply isn't as polished due to small hitches related to Dolphin.

Now, if it's all about which version can look its absolute best performance be damned, Dolphin will win, but I value consistency too much to deal with it.
and, let me restate, you can't run the dolphin version in a native widescreen resolution. it will always upscale from a lower resolution (based on the fact that in 'widescreen' it's really zooming in on a letterboxed image).

Top Bottom