• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Did anyone from the EU get the 5 free RE4 avatars when they bought this? They said on the playstation blog we would get them but I didn't see them when I bought RE4. The only ones I see are those raccoon city avatars from ps+...

Curufinwe

ULTROS! said:
I was assuming that all your stuff get carried over to Professional mode (so that I could get the Chicago Typewriter). Is there an easier way to complete Professional mode? :p

Finish Separate Ways first to unlock Leon's gangster outfit and the suit or armor for Ashley. Then she will be invincible.

demigod

Well after downloading 4 times and failed the install due to corrupt data error 80029564, I decided to download it on my mobile broadband which took like 3 hours. Finally got it to install, Sony needs to fix that shit. My download on the failed attempts took like 25mins each time. My connection hasn't been dropping anymore so I doubt it corrupted the data. I'm guessing the game couldn't handle the fast download, lol.

The text before the RE4 was butt ugly, it's like they stretched that shit. Jaggies are noticeable but overall the game looks waaaay better than on the GC/Wii.

I wish they would remaster RE3 since that's my favorite, <3 Jill.

Risible

Anyone else get the Biohazard Revival Selection release from Japan?

Having played through RE4 numerous times on U.S. consoles it came as a shock when I had to play as Ashley and she controlled like a classic RE game as opposed to the newer RE4 style of controls. It really threw me for a loop.

I was disappointed at first, but after a few minutes I really got into it. It was a nice change of pace, and dealing with the suits of armor was a real thrill. Normally, I breeze through that part. However, struggling with unfamiliar controls while the knights were going CLANK CLANK CLANK behind me ratcheted up the tension big time. A really neat touch.

Risible said:

Having played through RE4 numerous times on U.S. consoles it came as a shock when I had to play as Ashley and she controlled like a classic RE game as opposed to the newer RE4 style of controls. It really threw me for a loop.

I was disappointed at first, but after a few minutes I really got into it. It was a nice change of pace, and dealing with the suits of armor was a real thrill. Normally, I breeze through that part. However, struggling with unfamiliar controls while the knights were going CLANK CLANK CLANK behind me ratcheted up the tension big time. A really neat touch.
i forgot about that difference. something to look forwards in my PS3 playthrough!

Quikies83

I only played the PS2 version for a few hours back in the day --- I'm very happy with my purchase on 360. Game plays and looks great.
My only complaint is having the map on Y and inventory on Start... The X and A swap is no biggie.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
omgogmogmogm not many days left until I get the 15th anniversary edition

HYPE IS BEYOND HYPE

dark10x said:
Even with mods, you're still stuck with ugly, compressed videos for cutscenes rather than proper realtime scenes. That pretty much kills the experience for me and makes for an inferior version.

I disagree that the Dolphin version is the best possible version as well. It simply isn't as polished due to small hitches related to Dolphin.

Now, if it's all about which version can look its absolute best performance be damned, Dolphin will win, but I value consistency too much to deal with it.

Modders have added in HD versions of the cutscenes recorded from Dolphin. It's still not as good as native, but you don't have to be stuck with the ugly interlaced ones that it came with.

Curufinwe

Quikies83 said:
I only played the PS2 version for a few hours back in the day --- I'm very happy with my purchase on 360. Game plays and looks great.
My only complaint is having the map on Y and inventory on Start... The X and A swap is no biggie.

That's interesting because Type I controls on the PS2 had map on /\ and inventory on Start. But maybe you played with Type II on the PS2.

theDeeDubs

Loving RE4 this time around. I got this day 1 on the GC but never finished it due to the controls. I was more of a PC gamer back then and I sucked with stick shooting. I'm better with it now than a mouse though, but I wish this had right stick aiming so bad. The graphics are more than good enough for me. If it had the alt RE 5 controls and better trophies this would've been perfect.

Those leader board clear times I saw on the GB quicklook are crazy btw.

jett

D-Member
plagiarize said:
and, let me restate, you can't run the dolphin version in a native widescreen resolution. it will always upscale from a lower resolution (based on the fact that in 'widescreen' it's really zooming in on a letterboxed image).

You know what they say about people that assume.
Stallion+-+Resident+Evil+4+03+-+1600.jpg

cvxfreak

Downloading RE4 from the NA PSN now... is it always this slow? 7% after 10 minutes.

I'm located in Japan, but we have very fast high-speed internet here.

jett said:
You know what they say about people that assume.
*snipped screenshot that proves what i'm saying*
what? that they'll accuse someone of being wrong without looking at their own damn screenshot?

see how it looks overly soft? see the weird edges on everything that don't look as sharp as they should?

i've done numerous screenshot comparisons back in the day. the Wii version of RE4 runs a letterboxed version of the game that it then blows up to fill the screen.

compare screens of 1280 x 720 to cropped screens of 960 x 720.

or just look at the left side of Ashley's arm. that screenshot is not running at a native resolution of 1600 x 900. it is 1200 x 675 blown up to 1600 x 900.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
cvxfreak said:
Downloading RE4 from the NA PSN now... is it always this slow? 7% after 10 minutes.

I'm located in Japan, but we have very fast high-speed internet here.

I got RE4 under 2 hours. 3 mbps connection here.

papersleeves said:
I just bought this game on Games on Demand for 360 this morning and the game only cost me 1360ms points. What give ?
Canada?

Exchange rate!

Remember 1400 points for us is $19.99 + local tax. So 1360 is about right.

plagiarize said:
what? that they'll accuse someone of being wrong without looking at their own damn screenshot?

see how it looks overly soft? see the weird edges on everything that don't look as sharp as they should?

i've done numerous screenshot comparisons back in the day. the Wii version of RE4 runs a letterboxed version of the game that it then blows up to fill the screen.

compare screens of 1280 x 720 to cropped screens of 960 x 720.

or just look at the left side of Ashley's arm. that screenshot is not running at a native resolution of 1600 x 900. it is 1200 x 675 blown up to 1600 x 900.

That's because of horrid jpeg compression, and it's supersampled which eliminates all jaggies but softens the image somewhat.

The point of the picture is to prove that it can run in a widescreen aspect ratio.

gogogow

Curufinwe said:
Is that confirmed?
Yes, it's missing specular maps/gloss maps. I just beat
Bitores Mendez
and he didn't have that effect
when he transformed
. Can't believe it's not in this game on much more powerful consoles. It's either shitty emulation or a very lazy port, though we already know that. Whatever effect can't be emulated is gone and Capcom didn't had the decency to add it back in. It's unbelievable how Capcom are treating their RE4 15th Anniversary Edition like this. RE4 deserves better! I don't regret my purchase, because the gameplay is still excellent, but so was the PS2 version :/

I NEED SCISSORS said:
That's because of horrid jpeg compression, and it's supersampled which eliminates all jaggies but softens the image somewhat.

The point of the picture is to prove that it can run in a widescreen aspect ratio.
i never said it couldn't run in a widescreen aspect ratio. i said that when you run in a widescreen aspect ratio it's scaling a letterboxed resolution to full screen.

which it is. look closely at the left side of Ashley's right arm. that isn't jpeg compression, that's stepping, and it's stepping at more than one pixel. because it's been upscaled.

it's not dolphin's fault. the game is built to do this, because that's how it handles widescreen on the Wii. yes, you can run at higher resolutions than the wii version, but you can't run natively at a resolution. i've proved this out with screenshots in the past way back when. i'll happily do it again...

but the evidence is right in front of your eyes. i'm not making this shit up. i LOVE RE4, and when i played it in dolphin i felt there was something off about the IQ, and i did comparisons between 4:3 and 16:9 resolutions to figure out what was going on.

edit: uneditted screenshot captured in Dolphin v3 at 720p with AA off.
1z6rr84.png

uneditted screenshot captured in Dolphin v3 at 1280 x 960 with AA off.
25ouphs.png

these two screens would look identical if the Wii version wasn't doing what i'm claiming it does. however, you'll note that the 720p shot looks softer, and has more stepping than the 1280 x 960 one does.

the 360 and PS3 version may only run in 720p, and dolphin running at 1080p may be higher resolution than the 360 and PS3 version, but it's only slightly higher res, because it isn't native 1080p.

edit 2 (fixed incorrect resolution numbers).

plagiarize said:
i never said it couldn't run in a widescreen aspect ratio. i said that when you run in a widescreen aspect ratio it's scaling a letterboxed resolution to full screen.

which it is. look closely at the left side of Ashley's right arm. that isn't jpeg compression, that's stepping, and it's stepping at more than one pixel. because it's been upscaled.

it's not dolphin's fault. the game is built to do this, because that's how it handles widescreen on the Wii. yes, you can run at higher resolutions than the wii version, but you can't run natively at a resolution. i've proved this out with screenshots in the past way back when. i'll happily do it again...

but the evidence is right in front of your eyes. i'm not making this shit up. i LOVE RE4, and when i played it in dolphin i felt there was something off about the IQ, and i did comparisons between 4:3 and 16:9 resolutions to figure out what was going on.

Yes, of course that's how it works. I'm surprised anyone would argue about it. The Wii version was a lazy port, too; Capcom couldn't be bothered to re-engineer it to run in widescreen at standard 480p resolution, even though the Wii could undoubtedly handle it. So the 720x480 resolution it appears to run at is just an auto-zoomed 640x480 letterbox, meaning 640x360 blown up pixels. The Wii version is identical to a zoomed Gamecube screen - the only difference is the game is doing the zooming instead of the TV. I've done a few comparisons there myself.

So anything in Dolphin has the same level of zoom, and there's nothing you can do about it.

It looks great, though, still better than this HD release.

Out_Of_Ammo said:
Did anyone from the EU get the 5 free RE4 avatars when they bought this? They said on the playstation blog we would get them but I didn't see them when I bought RE4. The only ones I see are those raccoon city avatars from ps+...

Anyone?

fabiobad said:
RE4 HD is sub-hd on PS3 ?

I don't think so, it runs at 720p. What makes you ask this? If you're referring to plagiarize's posts, we're talking about the Dolphin emulator and how it compares to this HD release for PS3/360.

gogogow

Out_Of_Ammo said:
I bought it from the US store and it did give me 5 free avatars and i'm not a PS+ member. Wednesday I checked the EU store when it was updated and in the description it didn't mention anything about avatars at all, which it did in the US store. Lots of people are complaining about not getting their avatars on the EU Blog. In the Store update blogpost Andy Stewart said that only PS+ members will be getting the free avatars.

gray_fox224 said:
Is the TMP an essential gun to level up?
I usually do. Once you have it up to a good damage level and clip size its rather good, and you get lots of free ammo when you upgrade the clip size.

Quikies83

I don't recall. I've never owned a PS2 but I know the majority of these types of games, the inventory opens with Y or /\... Silent Hills and other RE games use the scheme if I'm not mistaken.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BeautifulMemory said:
I don't use it. I go more the conventional route of handgun + shotty + sniper

Same.

But if the question is "I have the TMP, should I put more money into it?" then I guess it depends on how you use it. You don't need to upgrade it if you just use it to put a lot of bullets into a crowd to slow their advance or set up melees (though a capacity upgrade would serve this end well).

I'm just speculating. Somebody more expert should chime in.

Sullichin

gray_fox224 said:
Is the TMP an essential gun to level up?

I use it as a crowd control gun for medium range (as opposed to short range crowd control with the shotgun). I level it up, not all the way though. You'll have enough money to level up whatever you want.

I don't really like the TMP, but I keep it because there's lots of ammo

Has anyone ever found any true advantages to using the Matilda? Ive tried to do runs using it as one of my weapons and it just blazes through handgun ammo so quickly that i usually end up switching it out for the Blacktail before I even reach the castle gates. I know it does single round fire but youve gotta be so gentle with the button press to pull it off. This is one game that demands no gentleness when it comes to firing at something.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Same.

But if the question is "I have the TMP, should I put more money into it?" then I guess it depends on how you use it. You don't need to upgrade it if you just use it to put a lot of bullets into a crowd to slow their advance or set up melees (though a capacity upgrade would serve this end well).

I'm just speculating. Somebody more expert should chime in.
True

I personally don't like TMP, even in RE5. I'm biased and I don't find an upgraded TMP to be thrilling to use

Curufinwe

I love the TMP; it's great for certain situations and bosses. I didn't use it on the Wii version (except for the shooting galleries) just because I was going for as high a shooting percentage as possible.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Risible said:

Yeah, all Japanese versions of the game have done that on normal difficulty and above. It's a shame they removed it for everyone else.

Curufinwe said:
I love the TMP; it's great for certain situations and bosses. I didn't use it on the Wii version (except for the shooting galleries) just because I was going for as high a shooting percentage as possible.
The TMP ruins Mendez' day.

TMP is great to put them in melee-able stun or to shoot them in the legs. Almost feels like cheating, even without upgrades. i've just started actually using the knife on downed enemies (first time in several playthroughs)...still so much stuff to lear about this game after so many years!

also, game looks fine, imo. reviews overstate how it looks.

AEREC

Smision said:
TMP is great to put them in melee-able stun or to shoot them in the legs. Almost feels like cheating, even without upgrades. i've just started actually using the knife on downed enemies (first time in several playthroughs)...still so much stuff to lear about this game after so many years!

also, game looks fine, imo. reviews overstate how it looks.

Ya trying different ways to conserve ammo really makes this game a blast as it opens up so many more strategies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuck it, just drove a billion miles to my friend with my PS3 so I could hook it to the Internet. Currently downloading RE4 :D (Yes, I couldn't fucking wait for my 15th anniversary edition to arrive). Yes, Im aware that I'm giving Capcom more money than they deserve. FUCK IT.

RE4 is KING.

Yoshichan

Wtf is going on and why does PSN suck so much fucking ass?

First it says "an error has occurred. 80023102" and now that I'm trying a different way (adding funds to my account), it says "The Funds Could not be added to your wallet"?

I've taken a break from PSN for 2 months and I come back to this piece of shit?

So... Has anyone else already completed at least one playthrough but not bothered discussing it in this thread because every page is basically people asking the same questions that have been answered over and over on the prior page?

:/

Sullichin said:
This game still has the best reload animations

The broken butterfly reload is absolutely boss!

Desiato

I just finished playing through the Wii version again (on an HDTV no less, kill me!), still as great as I remember it. As much as I'd love playing it in HD, I'm not buying this game a 4th time. It looks bad at first, but you get used to it. Even as a jaggy blurry mess RE4 still looks great.

Sullichin

TerryWogan said:
So... Has anyone else already completed at least one playthrough but not bothered discussing it in this thread because every page is basically people asking the same questions that have been answered over and over on the prior page?

I haven't completed a playthrough of this yet, but this thread is reminding me of the Deus Ex: HR thread, where most of the posts are talking about technical issues and no one seems to care about talking about the actual game. I guess it makes more sense in this thread considering many/most of the people buying this have already beaten the game before.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yoshichan said:
Wtf is going on and why does PSN suck so much fucking ass?

First it says "an error has occurred. 80023102" and now that I'm trying a different way (adding funds to my account), it says "The Funds Could not be added to your wallet"?

I've taken a break from PSN for 2 months and I come back to this piece of shit?

Has your credit card info been removed or changed? Or has the card expired? That's the first thing to check.

TerryWogan said:

I haven't, much as I wish I had. Been ill. Haven't been able.to play it much.

Yoshichan

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Has your credit card info been removed or changed? Or has the card expired? That's the first thing to check.
Nope, none of the above. Sony are just a bunch of incompetent idiots.

TerryWogan said:

Don't be bummed, now there's a FAQ in the OP. I haven't finished my playthrough, but now that the weekend's here I will. Did anyone else not ever notice the Ashley fist-pumping thing I posted?

The Xtortionist said:
On 360, controls for moving and aiming feel a little weird. Deadzones are too large I think. Anyone else feel the same way?

Well the virtually non-existent dead zone on the dual shock has always been in sharp contrast to the 360 pad's "rigid" sticks.

Unless the devs do some optimizing (obviously not the case here), you will face this issue on the 360.

Can you map the movement to the d-pad to make things easier?? (assuming you have the newer pad)

Top Bottom