• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I believe the villagers are just swearing and rambling.

Mierda = shit.

MoxManiac

Is it weird that i've bought this game like 4 times and i'm still excited to go back to it again? Is the game really that good? I think it might be!

I've purchased and played the GC, PS2 and Wii versions of RE4 along with this HD release on PS3.

For some reason, the opening village sequence feels harder than ever.

The chainsaw man actually managed to behead me!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Dreamer RD said:
It's obvious lol. I mean, is normal game + has easier difficulty? On ps2 there was option from the start.

I was joking. I was just saying you don't need easy difficulty because once you've beat the game you can play again with overpowered weapons, which makes it easy. I don't actually know if there's an official easy difficulty in this version.

Curufinwe

I think there might be on the EU version but there isn't on my American 360 version. When I press A on New Game it starts up right away without giving a choice of difficulties.

I can't find my RE4 guide but I remember a few of translations of the Ganado chatter that it had.
Una forastero- an outsider
Esta en la trampa- he's trapped
Muere, muere, muere- die, die, die
Basta, hijo de puta- Enough, son of a bitch

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Played some more tonight, I think i've compromised a little on my view that "PC version > this port". When I look around the enviornment I still yearn for my 1080p, 8xAA, 16xAF and better textures, but the lighting, especially when it's raining, is hands down better in this port. Polygonal differences are near imperceptible to me and both are missing effects like bump mapping. I still have to give the nod to it on PC, but i'm appreciating this a bit more now. I've also finally gotten used to square = shoot. Only took 3 hours..
Square is shoot? So I assume the PS3 version's layout is exactly the same as the 360 layout posted and it doesn't have the layout from the PS2 release as an option? WTF Capcom...

Risette

A Good Citizen
electroshockwave said:
Square is shoot? So I assume the PS3 version's layout is exactly the same as the 360 layout posted and it doesn't have the layout from the PS2 release as an option? WTF Capcom...
It has the layout from the PS2 version.

Just not the US PS2 version!

Davey Cakes

Heart Attack said:
Wish this was cheaper. I bought RE 4 Wii for $6.50 instead. If this somehow get's a deal in the future, I'm in.
If it was $10 I'd consider getting it, even though I played the shit out of the Wii version (which I also got for $10) and pretty much swore that I was done with the game forever.

But yeah, $20 is too much to ask. Especially since this port is relatively shoddy. People can try to accept it for what it is and sweep the imperfections under the rug, but Capcom could've done much better, and RE4 deserved much better.

Everyone keeps acting like the slightest HD treatment makes this game worth the extra price over the Wii edition, but I disagree. Playing older versions of RE4 on an HDTV isn't the greatest of visual experiences but it's far from the eye-straining mess that it's made out to be. $10 for Wii Edition, yes please. $20 for minimal-effort port, no thanks.

Then again, I've played my share of the game. For newcomers, the price isn't much to pay to experience one of the best games of all time in some form of HD.

That said I'm likely going to jump on Code Veronica, just because I never completed the Dreamcast version.

I think once you reach the castle, RE4 starts drifting into greatest game ever made territory. Seriously the level design and pacing is fucking off the charts.

just because you can find a copy of the wii version in the bargain bin ultra cheap doesn't mean that RE4HD should be priced at said bargain bin price. If its too expensive @ $10 or $20... move along.

Davey Cakes

brandonh83 said:
I think once you reach the castle, RE4 starts drifting into greatest game ever made territory. Seriously the level design and pacing is fucking off the charts.
Some folks think that the game actually goes downhill after the Village. I think it peaks at the Castle though area though. There's a ton of level variety even though the castle-like themes are consistent. You get sewers, caverns, mines, and outdoor areas on top of mansion-esque indoor ones.

But really, the entire game is brilliant. I'll admit my least favorite parts come in the last third of the game, but they're accompanied by some of my favorite parts too.

Every part of the 25-hour adventure is compelling in some way or another. That's what solidifies the game as a masterpiece.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Rash said:
If it was $10 I'd consider getting it, even though I played the shit out of the Wii version (which I also got for $10) and pretty much swore that I was done with the game forever.

But yeah, $20 is too much to ask. Especially since this port is relatively shoddy. People can try to accept it for what it is and sweep the imperfections under the rug, but Capcom could've done much better, and RE4 deserved much better.

Everyone keeps acting like the slightest HD treatment makes this game worth the extra price over the Wii edition, but I disagree. Playing older versions of RE4 on an HDTV isn't the greatest of visual experiences but it's far from the eye-straining mess that it's made out to be. $10 for Wii Edition, yes please. $20 for minimal-effort port, no thanks.

Then again, I've played my share of the game. For newcomers, the price isn't much to pay to experience one of the best games of all time in some form of HD.

That said I'm likely going to jump on Code Veronica, just because I never completed the Dreamcast version.
The Wii/GC version is a sub-SD dithered mess. It's awful on an HDTV.

Also, why are "minimal effort port" and "RE4 Wii Edition" separate? It's not like a lot of effort was put into the Wii Edition either. I'd say even less than what was put in here.

Rash said:
Some folks think that the game actually goes downhill after the Village. I think it peaks at the Castle though area though. There's a ton of level variety even though the castle-like themes are consistent. You get sewers, caverns, mines, and outdoor areas on top of mansion-esque indoor ones.

The village area is great too, especially when night falls, but the game certainly does not go downhill after it.

Rash said:

It's RE4, in HD. no more, no less. Nothing shoddy, except that it isn't a full remake. The wii edition's MSRP is still $19.99 as well:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P46NKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and the HD upgrade is enough. I wouldn't want them to get ambitious and try and remake an already perfect game. They would screw it up.

So I'm playing this for the first time (I dabbled a little with the GC version, but played probably less than an hour)

Holy Shit. This game is crazy fucking intense.

I just had to fight a million crazy people off, while holed up in a cabin

This game is awesome. I just bought the wii port of REmake off amazon (I've only played the original 1, 2, and CV)

I think they should have at least worked on the textures. I don't know squat about game development but I can't imagine that it would have been an overload for them to do so. Bumping up a 7 year old game to HD without doing anything else to it is not going to do it any favors really. It being in HD didn't really excite me, I just like the game a lot and I wanted some trophies.

If they really wanted to thrill me they would have did something like what was done with Ocarina of Time 3D. They didn't just release the game in 3D, they worked on the visuals as well to ensure that the title's seriously outdated visuals looked good enough to repackage again. RE4 is far from an ugly game, but it did come out in 2004, and a lot of the texture work is borderline N64 shit (lol ok not that bad, but it's bad). Seeing that in HD is not pleasing on the eyes.

Davey Cakes

Aigis said:
Also, why are "minimal effort port" and "RE4 Wii Edition" separate? It's not like a lot of effort was put into the Wii Edition either. I'd say even less than what was put in here.
The Wii version brought together the GC visuals with the PS2 extras and added Wiimote controls. It certainly wasn't the best possible port but it was solid. I do wish that maybe they could've re-done the PS2 stuff for GC/Wii hardware though. I guess I went too far in calling RE4HD a shoddy port but the thing is, the Wii Edition came out in 2007. The HD port came out four years later. I think more could've been done with it, that's all. Especially if they're going to charge $20 for it as a download title.

It's more about price than anything. The Wii version's MSRP is $20 but I paid $10, so I'm going to personally compare that experience for that price with RE4HD for $20. The latter does not come out in favor. But that's just my personal angle on the whole thing.

def sim

The higher resolution is so that it wouldn't look like a blurry mess on our huge HDTV's. The benefit is greatly appreciated. I agree it could have used some redone textures for sure, but that doesn't make it a bad or shoddy port.

Anyway, maybe Capcom will stop being lazy for the 20th anniversary!

Risette

A Good Citizen
brandonh83 said:
I think they should have at least worked on the textures. I don't know squat about game development but I can't imagine that it would have been an overload for them to do so. Bumping up a 7 year old game to HD without doing anything else to it is not going to do it any favors really. It being in HD didn't really excite me, I just like the game a lot and I wanted some trophies.

If they really wanted to thrill me they would have did something like what was done with Ocarina of Time 3D. They didn't just release the game in 3D, they worked on the visuals as well to ensure that the title's seriously outdated visuals looked good enough to repackage again. RE4 is far from an ugly game, but it did come out in 2004, and a lot of the texture work is borderline N64 shit (lol ok not that bad, but it's bad). Seeing that in HD is not pleasing on the eyes.
It came out in 2005.

And it looks fine to me. The excellent art design helps it tons.

26thletter said:
So I'm playing this for the first time (I dabbled a little with the GC version, but played probably less than an hour)

This game is awesome. I just bought the wii port of REmake off amazon (I've only played the original 1, 2, and CV)

Welcome to one of the best games of the last decade.

rataven

Only two chapters in, but yup, still my favorite game of the last decade. I have so much new found appreciation for Leon's one-liners.

FairXchange said:
For some reason, the opening village sequence feels harder than ever.
I thought this too. It's been a few years since my last RE4 run, but I was rustier than expected. Usually go for both chainsaw guys in the village but I barely survived one even with the shotgun.

brandonh83 said:

This game is massive, packed with environmental detail even by today's standards, and the environments are varied. It wouldn't be worth the work. You'd pretty much have to change every surface all or the weaker ones will stick out even more. And really, the textures aren't even that bad. They never distracted me, and actually I often found myself surprised at how well it all holds up. The detail in the castle in particular is incredible. As long as you're not walking up and humping a wall, I don't see the big deal.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
You'd be missing out on the excellent difficulty curve (minus the village clusterfuck in the beginning). What part are you having trouble with?

I just really dislike the RE tank controls and always have. They were okay in RE5 but I can't tolerate RE4's. I'm still at the beginning, in the villiage and I really want to play through the game, I just thought the most hassle-free experience would be the best experience.

But if they cut things out well...!

I am so excited to play this game again. Mikami, I bow to you

Like many of you and probably less of you, I spent hours on this game and knew almost every Ins and Outs of this game. Well, years have passed, memories have faded somewhat, and now that for the HD version I am forced to start new again

What a thrilling experience. No, it's not scary, but it's excellently paced and the tension is relentless. I have previously played the game so much that I forgot how it felt anymore to use Leon in the beginning with low health and weak weapons (cuz you know, I kind of just used all the powerful and upgraded weapons as time went on)

I am going through it again, surprised at the amount of enemies, how they worked together, and how I have to strategize again (which, again, became non-existent in the past due to powerful weapons and repeated playthroughs). It's the closest thing to playing RE4 for the first time again, and I love it.

Can't wait for the suplex!

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Rash said:
The Wii version brought together the GC visuals with the PS2 extras and added Wiimote controls. It certainly wasn't the best possible port but it was solid. I do wish that maybe they could've re-done the PS2 stuff for GC/Wii hardware though. I guess I went too far in calling RE4HD a shoddy port but the thing is, the Wii Edition came out in 2007. The HD port came out four years later. I think more could've been done with it, that's all. Especially if they're going to charge $20 for it as a download title.

It's more about price than anything. The Wii version's MSRP is $20 but I paid $10, so I'm going to personally compare that experience for that price with RE4HD for $20. The latter does not come out in favor. But that's just my personal angle on the whole thing.

Hmm I paid $10 for RE4HD.

It's impossible to put this game down once I pick it up. Intended 1 hour sessions become 3+ hours because of how flawlessly paced the experience is.

The one and only point that makes me think "good stopping point" is right after killing Salazar, but guess fucking what. The merchant there offers the Red9 exclusive for the first time, bumping it to 6.5 firepower and making the weapon godlike. So I can't stop playing, I want to slaughter enemies with my overpowered handgun!

Greatest of all time.

TheUsual

Gold Member
After playing about two hours of RE4HD, now I remember why I played it 4 or 5 times in a row on the GCN.

This game is just too much fun.

zerotol

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
It's impossible to put this game down once I pick it up. Intended 1 hour sessions become 3+ hours because of how flawlessly paced the experience is.

The one and only point that makes me think "good stopping point" is right after killing Salazar, but guess fucking what. The merchant there offers the Red9 exclusive for the first time, bumping it to 6.5 firepower and making the weapon godlike. So I can't stop playing, I want to slaughter enemies with my overpowered handgun!

Greatest of all time.

Indeed! All my recent gaming time has been entirely put into this version of RE4. I do the same thing as you, an hour turns into multiple hours because it's so hard to stop. It's the game that keeps on giving. What a fucking great adventure, from the beginning to the end!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Phonomezer said:
I just really dislike the RE tank controls and always have. They were okay in RE5 but I can't tolerate RE4's. I'm still at the beginning, in the villiage and I really want to play through the game, I just thought the most hassle-free experience would be the best experience.

But if they cut things out well...!

I think you'll have a more rewarding experience if you tough it out and just get used to the controls. You might have to play the big village attack scene several times, but once you make it through that, things ease up for a while. It's not the kind of game you can get through your first time without dying a fair amount. What's impressive is the sheer number of different combat scenarios, and if you make it too easy, it might not be that interesting.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Played a bunch of Code:Veronica and just got to
Antarctic base
. The game's layout is just as insane and random as I remember it. :)

I'm liking the visual upgrade a lot more than I thought I would. You'd think Dreamcast geometry+MT Framework effects/post-processing would be jarringly out of place with each other, but the whole thing meshes surprisingly well. The PS3 version is indeed incredibly dark to the point where it seems like it's crushing detail, but I personally think it looks fantastic. It gives the game more of the appearance of a horror film, and goes a long way toward obscuring the less pleasant visual elements. CV has aged pretty terribly (I don't say that often) and this helps a lot.

I have noticed some weird slowdown during fmv, which is odd. It seems to fluctuate between 30 and 20 fps every once in a while. I've also noticed minor audio desyncs during in-game cutscenes and other oddities. In the original, during Alfred's first cutscene the music would cut out the moment he fired the last shot at Claire, here it ends a second or two before. Such an incredibly minor thing, but that kind of stuff stands out when you've played the game so much. :p

Still one of my least favorite games in the series, but I definitely like this version. Might sell my PS2 kanzenban copy and keep my DC original for posterity. ;)

26thletter said:

Oh man, I envy you... Prepare yourself... It just get better, and better, and better, and better. I remember when I played it the first time I was like "Please don't end" all the time.

Whoever hasn't played this game is doing soemthing wrong with his life.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TheExorzist said:
Oh man, I envy you... Prepare yourself... It just get better, and better, and better, and better. I remember when I played it the first time I was like "Please don't end" all the time.

Whoever hasn't played this game is doing soemthing wrong with his life.

To be honest, when I first played RE4, I hated the game because it wasn't RE and I couldn't get past the Chainsaw guy.

Come this year, I played it on the Wii because I vowed to complete all the RE games, and guess what, it's my favorite RE game of all time. Not to mention one of my top 5 games of last gen. :p

Oh lord, I'm just at the fight with Krauser and I forgot how satisfying it is when he attacks you, you get the QTE right and kick him in the face. Every time time I do it I'm like..

fuck_yeah_.jpg

lol

I think the last part of the game gets too much hate. IMO it has by far the best bosses.

I just discovered this playthrough that you can shoot the
Novistador's Hive, the one after they abduct Ashley again
, a mini-cutscene plays and then you get rewarded with like 10 colored eyes!!

Just remember to shoot the ones clinging to it before shooting the whole thing first, they only take one shot.

BEST GAME EVER!!!!11!! :D

edit: A couple of cool stuff as well:

-If you go back whwere you came from after the Del Lago fight, you get a special scene where you meet the dogs for the first time, scared the shit about me since I never knew about it. I proceeded to run like hell then went on the
Boat and speared their asses,
haha.

- You know the lava room, I read this in an old LTTP thread, but you can
shoot the chains from the stone fire-breathing dragons 2 times with your Rifle, and then poof, they fall down in the lava and you don't have to deal with their shit :D

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Hmm =( Why didn't I get 'Do not shoot the water' Trophy? But I did get the 'A rock and a hard place Trophy' =s

What did I do wrong?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
The Xtortionist said:
shoot the water until you get the achievement
Can I still get the Trophy/achievement after I defeated the monster in the water?

Top Bottom