• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Andrefpvs said:
No. I was lucky because I had a save right before that battle.
Euugh, god damnit, I hate Trophies like that. So now I actually have to play the game all the way from the beginning if I want to have that Trophy... =(

Kingsora said:
Euugh, god damnit, I hate Trophies like that. So now I actually have to play the game all the way from the beginning if I want to have that Trophy... =(

Don't you have to do a Professional run anyways for all the trophies??

Shit I missed the achievement you get for
shooting the monster in the lake. I heard that something happens when you shoot the water and I did but not often enough :/

TheExorzist said:
Just finished the game - immediately started playing on pro. And I have Gears 3 sitting on my shelf. Whatever, fuck Gears. :lol
Same for me. Got both on the same day and haven't even booted Gears up yet lol.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Backfoggen said:
shooting the monster in the lake. I heard that something happens when you shoot the water and I did but not often enough :/
I had the exact same thing like I said 20 minutes ago :p

RyuHayate

I forgot how much I really love this game!

When I compare RE4's campaign to RE5's after playing the former again, I can't help but think how RE5 could have been so much more. I still adore RE5 for what it is, but it doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor in terms of atmosphere and enemy encounters.

Another thing: I also forgot that if you don't go into that house containing the shotgun during the initial villager onslaught and trigger the cutscene where Doctor Salvador revs up his chainsaw, he won't show up at all. I remembered that after the fact, but it definitely would've made my life a lot easier!

Magnus

Chainsaw dude's had a name all this time?

In my experience with the opening village carnage on the GC and the Wii, running near the door that exits into the next area will trigger Chainsaw dude to join the fray. He's standing there with two or three other villagers.

In fact, unless I'm imagining things, I distinctly recall berserking him once years ago in that position, killing him, then quickly running into the shotgun building, which actually triggered him to spawn again. I didn't have enough firepower or time to kill him twice over though.

RyuHayate

Haha, I didn't even know you could go into the next area! That's what I love about this game, there's always something new to discover regardless of how many times you play it.

RyuHayate said:
Haha, I didn't even know you could go into the next area! That's what I love about this game, there's always something new to discover regardless of how many times you play it.

I just found out you can rotate the items in the attache case by using the right stick. You can put the ammo boxes in backwards so you can't see the label. Mind blown.

RyuHayate

Backfoggen said:

How close to the water were you?

revolverjgw said:
I just found out you can rotate the items in the attache case by using the right stick. You can put the ammo boxes in backwards so you can't see the label. Mind blown.

What?! Crazy! This game, man, this game!

brandonh83 said:
I think they should have at least worked on the textures. I don't know squat about game development but I can't imagine that it would have been an overload for them to do so. Bumping up a 7 year old game to HD without doing anything else to it is not going to do it any favors really. It being in HD didn't really excite me, I just like the game a lot and I wanted some trophies.

If they really wanted to thrill me they would have did something like what was done with Ocarina of Time 3D. They didn't just release the game in 3D, they worked on the visuals as well to ensure that the title's seriously outdated visuals looked good enough to repackage again. RE4 is far from an ugly game, but it did come out in 2004, and a lot of the texture work is borderline N64 shit (lol ok not that bad, but it's bad). Seeing that in HD is not pleasing on the eyes.

redoing the textures would bump this up to a $40+ game. it's capcom.

Oh yeah, and why are Regenerators kicking my ass so badly? I never once had an issue with them before, and in all my ten playthroughs I never died against them (unless it was on purpose to see what it was like).

But right now, I can't even kill one. What the fudge.

HeySeuss

tha_devil said:
Just stand on the pier, shoot the water a few times. Monster will swallow you. You are DEAD and the trophy pops up.
This is what I assumed the achievement was for. The first time you see that death scene it takes you by surprise. So many little details in this game.

Has anyone tried standing besides the boat and shooting in the lake before the Del Lago boss battle? You get a special bonus!

coolface.jpg

€dit: Hops, this is acutally an achievement or what? Lame.... I was pretty "surprised" the first time that happend. Means, my heart fell down to my but. ^^

onken

JumpingTheGun said:
Normal. Pro unlocks after your first playthrough although I hear the JPN version has Pro unlocked immediatley.

The game also has a dynamic difficulty as I learned yesterday.

Sorry for the double

No it doesn't.

Just got to
the huge bald guy with a beard. He kicked the shit out of me. I finally killed him on the 3rd or 4th try

They do a great job of always making you feel like you're in trouble. I've always got enough ammo, but just enough that I'm still concerned about it. I feel like my health is always in the yellow, because I don't want to use my last healing item.

This game is great.

Aru

Got the game on US PSN with the PS+ offer. First time I grab a non-free PS+ discounted game :p

Also, for some reason, I could buy a PSN card on Amazon despite my credit card not being a US one. Maybe it's because I used comGateway to "get an US address", after all.

123rl

Gears 3 has taken up most of my game time this week but I've managed to put a couple of hours into Resi 4. I loved it in 2004. I loved the PS2 version a few years later. I loved the Wii version. And now I love the 360 version. It's still an incredible game.

Aru

123rl said:
Gears 3 has taken up most of my game time this week but I've managed to put a couple of hours into Resi 4. I loved it in 2004. I loved the PS2 version a few years later. I loved the Wii version. And now I love the 360 version. It's still an incredible game.

The game was first released in 2005. Could you please send me your time machine ? :p

AEREC

The Mana Legend said:
There's some random slowdown in the 360 version when running down halls and shit, but I haven't seen any when in battle.

The slowdown hasnt been that bad, and definitely not any worse than the Cube had...it almost feels like the slowdown is in the same spots as the cube version too.

AEREC

Zel3 said:
Getting 5 stars in mercenaries is going to be difficult, best I've managed is 4 stars in the village.

I really wish there was an online leaderboard for it this time around...feel sliek such a missed oppurtunity.

Davey Cakes

Zel3 said:
Getting 5 stars in mercenaries is going to be difficult, best I've managed is 4 stars in the village.
I feel ya. I eventually did 5-star every level with every character but just barely. And once I was finished I just stopped. Mercenaries isn't really my thing. It's quite hard to do well; you have to develop a really effective method of comboing and using score multiplyers.

Also, using Leon is the most challenging way to go about it. I used him last. The easiest character to start with if you're going for five stars on everything is Krauser. He's fun and simple to combo with and you can learn the levels by doing score runs with him first.

I saved The Docks with Leon for last. That's pretty much inarguably the hardest combination, if only because of Dr. Salvador.

Zel3

Rash said:
I feel ya. I eventually did 5-star every level with every character but just barely. And once I was finished I just stopped. Mercenaries isn't really my thing. It's quite hard to do well; you have to develop a really effective method of comboing and using score multiplyers.

Also, using Leon is the most challenging way to go about it. I used him last. The easiest character to start with if you're going for five stars on everything is Krauser. He's fun and simple to combo with and you can learn the levels by doing score runs with him first.

I saved The Docks with Leon for last. That's pretty much inarguably the hardest combination, if only because of Dr. Salvador.

I agree. Mercenaries just doesn't interest me, trying to figure out the best way to run through levels or how to combo enemies does nothing for me. I am however a completionist so i have to get that hand cannon. :p

Anyone else feel it's harder to aim in this version than in the Gamecube one? I don't know.. it just feels off.

Davey Cakes

The best thing about Mercenaries is that, even though guys like you and I don't find it that compelling, there's still a 25-hour replayable masterpiece attached to it.

This is where RE5 fails. Half of the game's goodness comes from Mercenaries. The rest is a short, uninspired campaign with forced co-op. Yuck.

Separating Mercenaries and Revelations was a good thing, but I'm just saying that as somebody who prefers playing the main adventure.

Zel3 said:
I agree. Mercenaries just doesn't interest me, trying to figure out the best way to run through levels or how to combo enemies does nothing for me. I am however a completionist so i have to get that hand cannon. :p

Anyone else feel it's harder to aim in this version than in the Gamecube one? I don't know.. it just feels off.

Aiming feels perfect to me. Moving around is what feels off.

Curufinwe

Fry8 said:
Where is it located at? Been many years since I last played it, can't remember.

In the Castle before the hedge maze there's a locked door with a window above it, and it says something like "with another person's help I could get up there". So once you are reunited with Ashley you are supposed to go back there and get the loot.

Zel3 said:

If you follow the strategies of good players on youtube it becomes much easier.

Reclaimer

Couple hours in.

Re4 looks a lot better than some reviews would have you believe. I turned the sharpness on my tv down, and it's looking really nice.

If anything, it's too clean and clear. :)

Besides, this is a chance for me to remember why RE4 is near the top of my GOAT. Fucking brilliant.

Ken

Completed RE4 on the Gamecube multiple times with 5 stars on all the Mercenaries missions, got all the hidden weapons, and have a huge backlog; is RE4 HD worth picking up and experiencing again? Hmm.

GenericUser

hey_it's_that_dog said:
US version is uncensored. Don't know about other places.

just bought the "PAL" Version and it seems it is uncensored too. From what i remember, the camera kinda blacked out earlier when the chainsaw guy saws your head off (at least in the ps2 pal version, which i played back in the days), this HD version however shows the decapitation in full length.

is RE4 HD worth picking up and experiencing again? Hmm.

I'd say yes. I am fínally able to see the faces of my enemies, the whole game benefits so much from being HD. 20 well spend euros imo.

I bought it this evening, played it non stop for 2 hours, just took a break and now i will go back into the game. It is still as good as I remember it. It almost feels effortless how the game achieves this incredible flow of its gameplay without any drawbacks. It is ridiculous and it really has to demotivate current developers that they are not able to hold a candle up to resident evil 4.

Nintaiyo

Anybody noticing some terrible sound mixing in this game? Like in the first house you enter when you arrive at the village, there's a very loud crackling fireplace sound effect in living room area, and then right when you walk into the stairwell, it abruptly cuts off and plays the sound of flies buzzing. Then when you take about two steps up the stairs, that sound cuts off abruptly, too. Kinda kills the atmosphere. Was this in the original?

edit: Also, the sound when you go the the settings menu (select button) is terrible. Definitely didn't sound like that in the original. I'm playing on PS3, btw.

Nintaiyo said:
Anybody noticing some terrible sound mixing in this game? Like in the first house you enter when you arrive at the village, there's a very loud crackling fireplace sound effect in living room area, and then right when you walk into the stairwell, it abruptly cuts off and plays the sound of flies buzzing. Then when you take about two steps up the stairs, that sound cuts off abruptly, too. Kinda kills the atmosphere. Was this in the original?

edit: Also, the sound when you go the the settings menu (select button) is terrible. Definitely didn't sound like that in the original. I'm playing on PS3, btw.

Yeah, there's some inconsistencies in the sound department. For the sound I go 50% home theater and 50% speakers from my TV. Seems to work better.

revolverjgw said:

Holy crap. You know what, I think I actually did that way back when I first played the original Japanese demo...and have never thought about it since. My mind is re-blown.

chemicals

I had planned to buy this day one... a huge RE fan, but never played this one or 5. Is the aiming-with-a-left-stick issue really an issue? Seems like a chore.

Nintaiyo said:

I have the 360 version, but I did notice some sound issues. The one that caught my attention is in the beginning of the castle, when they're throwing flaming rocks from the catapults. It plays a cutscene and the red dude says "Matarlo!" right before it fires. Then he says it again, every time. That didn't seem right, and I booted up the Cube to compare. On the Cube, I found that he does say it every time, but you can't hear him from everywhere in the area like you can on the 360; you have to be close enough.

I think what's going on with the sound is that the 360 version is not applying fade-out based on distance.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The sound quality is completely random. Some things are perfectly fine sounding, but things like Leon's "wait"/"follow me" to Ashley and the merchant's "come back any time" sound straight out of the PS2 version. :\

I'm playing the PS3 version also.

Top Bottom