• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

MattJon

Fry8 said:
How are people playing CV already?

Oh well, how are the graphics? Is it good enough?

Japanese retail copies. The graphics have been given new lighting effects etc. Looks quite different to the original release. Worth a purchase.

Dreamer RD

boris feinbrand said:
Even without those glitches you can finish the game in 2:40.

I finished in 2:09:36 without glitches. Tried them after watching Derek Taylor WR speedrun and it seems TMP trick is not working here. I mean, when shooting the lock on the other side through the door. Striker glitch still works.
It's just kinda not right to run through this awesome game. Better if they included leaderboards in mercs, not that clear time shit.

Fry

MattJon said:
Japanese retail copies. The graphics have been given new lighting effects etc. Looks quite different to the original release. Worth a purchase.

Oh, ok thanks. Nice, I don't remember much from the game since I finished only one time. So I definitely need to get it.

For the OP is ultros wants to add:

RE4HD is region free - I've bought the USA version and played it on the Aus console. Got it via PS+ too so I netted all the Psone games :)

Impressions

Not sure where eurogamer is coming from but it looks great to me - the game is RE4 in HD and so far - I haven't encountered any slowdown. Its basically a HD port ala all the other titles that has come before it and I can't fault the visuals. I tried to play the wii version awhile back but it was just a hot mess on the HDtv so this is really nice. I also think the audio sounds really great here. Probably didn't have surround sound 5.1 when I played the gamecube version but it sounds good.

Gameplay. Been a while since I played it but man, I struggled with the controls a lot - had to swap the aiming around before I feel totally in control. I think I just need to play it more. I used to be able to aim super good and kickass all round. Really janky right now. The village scene at the start is still bloody nerve wracking and I still panicked when my head got sawed off. Sooo good.

I seem to be having some issues with camera control - is there any way to center the camera?

Davey Cakes

Barrow Roll said:
For all of you just getting this game now, you should pretty much do this. In fact, don't even buy the Riot Gun. The first shotgun is good enough to last you until the Striker. You only thing you really need to be using a shotgun for is close range crowd control. Damage output isn't important, knocking everyone in front of you on their asses is.
On my first few playthroughs I didn't even buy the Striker at all. Just upgraded the shotgun all the way through the game. It's honestly "good enough" for every situation, though the spread-fire capabilities of the Striker are good for someone who struggles with crowd control.

Honestly, this is my preferred way of getting weapons:

-Buy Red9 and stock, and don't upgrade the regular handgun beforehand. Sell Punisher.
-Use the first shotgun all the way through the game.
-Skip the Rifle for the entire village sequence; buy Semi-Auto Rifle as soon as getting to Castle.
-Obtain free Broken Butterfly at Castle.
-Take free Rocket Launcher and use it against Verdugo (takes really good inventory discipline).

And that's basically it. I prefer the Red9 to other handguns because of power and it's general awesomeness. I get that baby to 6.5 exclusive power right before leaving the Castle. I prefer just upgrading the regular shotgun because you get it for free in the beginning and it remains powerful enough to handle situations where it's needed. For my first professional run of the game I used the rifle in the village but afterwards realized that it's possible to skip it and buy the superior semi-auto version at the Castle. As for the Broken Butterfly, its power eventually surpasses the Killer7, plus it's free. The Punisher is the only free weapon that's not worth using, IMO.

That said, everybody has their preferences. I can see why some players like the Blacktail but, I, personally, am all about power and the Red9 is just great.

Yoshichan said:
Played a bunch of hours yesterday, gonna finish it today... what a masterpiece this game is. Masterpiece.

Question, how do you beat
Salizars right hand? I used all of the nytrogin-stuff and shot him with the shotgun an endless amount of times... but he didn't die?
. After that I ran out of the stuff and I had no other option than to run
to the elevator

You were doing it right, it just takes too much ammo to kill him, it's not even worth it. Either use the rocket launcher or just try to survive for 4-5 minutes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
revolverjgw said:
You were doing it right, it just takes too much ammo to kill him, it's not even worth it. Either use the rocket launcher or just try to survive for 4-5 minutes.
Fuck :( Well it's too late now anyway... does he have more health in Survival mode?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pachterballs said:
For the OP is ultros wants to add:

RE4HD is region free - I've bought the USA version and played it on the Aus console. Got it via PS+ too so I netted all the Psone games :)

Pretty sure all games in PSN are region free. I've been playing US PSN games on my Asian PS3 since 2009. :p

Nonetheless, I added it in the FAQs part. :)

It it possible to attach the heat scope on the first rifle as well? I don't want to exchange it for the semi-atuomatic rifle because it has the most badass reloading animation ever.

cvxfreak

After extensively playing through RE4 on the PS3, it's safe to say that I won't be revisiting this version in the future. The upscaled visuals are an improvement, but I just didn't enjoy the game as much without the motion controls. The Dual Shock 3 in particular is an awful fit for the game, at least in comparison to the other versions, and the slowdown is inexcusable. This was, overall, a very lazy HD remaster and Capcom and Happy Happening should be ashamed of taking the easy way out with RE4 (although CV was well done in comparison).

I don't think the PS3's HD visuals are worth the trade off in controls or framerate. If you own the Wii version, skip this one.

Yoshichan said:
Played a bunch of hours yesterday, gonna finish it today... what a masterpiece this game is. Masterpiece.

Question, how do you beat
Salizars right hand? I used all of the nytrogin-stuff and shot him with the shotgun an endless amount of times... but he didn't die?
. After that I ran out of the stuff and I had no other option than to run
to the elevator
Do you not have the Broken Butterfly or Mine thrower? I don't think a shotgun is powerful enough to beat him.

Pachterballs said:
Impressions

Not sure where eurogamer is coming from but it looks great to me - the game is RE4 in HD and so far - I haven't encountered any slowdown. Its basically a HD port ala all the other titles that has come before it and I can't fault the visuals. I tried to play the wii version awhile back but it was just a hot mess on the HDtv so this is really nice. I also think the audio sounds really great here. Probably didn't have surround sound 5.1 when I played the gamecube version but it sounds good.

Gameplay. Been a while since I played it but man, I struggled with the controls a lot - had to swap the aiming around before I feel totally in control. I think I just need to play it more. I used to be able to aim super good and kickass all round. Really janky right now. The village scene at the start is still bloody nerve wracking and I still panicked when my head got sawed off. Sooo good.

This very much!

Slowdown - PS3 version was slowing down for me in very isolated cases whenever a gigante or similarly large enemy was evaporating after death. Also, during crowded fights if an explosion went off. Nonetheless, extremely minor situations.

Controls - Does feel a little janky yeah, I think it may be because of lack of smoothing during the transition to HD. It just feels less smooth overall but only a problem for me during gun gallery mode D.

Number of Enemies - I swear, it feels like there are more. Actually, I'm certain that the village and when you get the first rifle that there are nearly double the amount of enemies coming at you. Other portions of the game felt like this as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think controls are completely fine. No problems whatsoever there. Framerate's been 100% solid from what I've seen as well.

However, PS3 version at least (not sure about X360 one) lacks aniso filtering on textures, maybe even lacks any mip-mapping, as ridiculous as it may sound. When you walk around at the beginning of the game, the intricate leafs texture on the ground shimmers so much, that in terms of that it's seriously like looking at some PS2 game in a much higher resolution. I don't know what was Capcom thinking, as this should be an on/off switch without any performance penalty on these consoles. It also lacks any AA. This is less of a problem as the game generally has low contrast, but still kind of a bummer, especially combined with the previous problem.

I'm starting to understand what Eurogamer editor was talking about, even if he couldn't formulate it well. It literally IS like GC version rendered in high res, not even texture filtering has been updated to a todays norm, and no AA added. Still, it's much better looking than the PS2 version I was playing before so I can't complain too much.

123rl

I'm in love all over again. I'm up to the castle. The night parts of the Village are some of my best moments in the game but the game hits a high note and then just seems to keep raising the bar all the way through to the end. Nothing since has ever come close to matching this game

Rippa

First off I apologize in advance for my ignorance but I'm "on the fence" about purchasing this game for the only reason of "controls". I read that in order to aim, you must use the left stick. Is there any truth to this? And, if so, is there a secondary option to use the right stick to aim like in RE5?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Rippa said:
First off I apologize in advance for my ignorance but I'm "on the fence" about purchasing this game for the only reason of "controls". I read that in order to aim, you must use the left stick. Is there any truth to this? And, if so, is there a secondary option to use the right stick to aim like in RE5?

Thanks in advance!

The aiming is on the left stick. The entire game was designed around this control scheme - it works perfectly.

Rippa said:

Thanks in advance!

Yes it is true and no there is no alternative for this.

I spent the first hour of the game absolutely mortified, wondering how anyone could even consider playing this game in 2011 with such rubbish controls. Not only that, but the camera is always very close to Leon, which took a bit of getting used to as well.

I soon got used to it after an hour and I'm glad I did, because the game is pretty good (4 hours in now).

Curufinwe

revolverjgw said:

You need to kill him at some point if you want the Achievement/Trophy. May as well do it on Normal with the rocket launcher.

NIN90

Hey I'm from Germany and the game is currently blocked on the US marketplace for me.
Anybody know if I can get around that if someone from the US logs in with my account and buys it?

.la1n

I remember the game being difficult the last time I played but had forgotten how much so in certain situations, love it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
NIN90 said:
Hey I'm from Germany and the game is currently blocked on the US marketplace for me.
Anybody know if I can get around that if someone from the US logs in with my account and buys it?

360 version? Check the FAQs.

Is it region free?
The 360 version is not region-free.
The PS3 version is region-free.

Okay, can someone give me an idea of what I have to do in the shooting range to get bottle caps (I never did this in the other versions)? Every damn FAQ I look at seems pretty useless, and some have conflicting reports (one says I have to get 4000+ points for one of the Rare ones, and the other says I just need to shoot every villager and then get 3000+)?

master15

First time I am playing this since it's Gamecube iteration and am having an absolute blast. I can't remember last time I pulled an all-day gaming session like this!

The visuals are better than I expected and honestly, so many sections still impress me even today. The only down side on the presentation is the sound quality, with certain sound elements sounding awfully compressed.

Now I have a question with anyone playing the PS3 version. Did anyone get a lot of AI bugs? I am playing this on normal, but I don't recall in the Gamecube version so many of the villagers killing group of themselves with poorly thrown dynamite throws. Also I've encountered weird 'pauses' before enemies (Boss characters, bugs in sewers, dogs) will throw a melee/or close attack which will prompt me to use action button.

The section in the
maze
for example, I only got hit once by the dogs. Is it just me?

def sim

The Mana Legend said:
Okay, can someone give me an idea of what I have to do in the shooting range to get bottle caps (I never did this in the other versions)? Every damn FAQ I look at seems pretty useless, and some have conflicting reports (one says I have to get 4000+ points for one of the Rare ones, and the other says I just need to shoot every villager and then get 3000+)?

There are 6 caps in each shooting gallery, one being rare. To earn the rare cap, you either have to score over 4000 or hit all targets successfully. To get the other 5, you simply have to score over 3000 each round.

I suggest you try to get the rare cap before the rest because the difficulty raises each successful round.

rance said:
There are 6 caps in each shooting gallery, one being rare. To earn the rare cap, you either have to score over 4000 or hit all targets successfully. To get the other 5, you simply have to score over 3000 each round.

I suggest you try to get the rare cap before the rest because the difficulty raises each successful round.

So basically, since I just got the 6 bottle caps for the first gallery (each gallery represents a row, right?), I can go on with the game? Just want to make sure since I don't exactly want to play through again just to do the galleries. xP

Davey Cakes

The Mana Legend said:
So basically, since I just got the 6 bottle caps for the first gallery (each gallery represents a row, right?), I can go on with the game? Just want to make sure since I don't exactly want to play through again just to do the galleries. xP
Yeah, once you have six you can move on. And if you want you don't even have to do the shooting galleries every time. You can wait until the fourth one and then just run through galleries A, B, C, and D at once.

finally getting to play this as my brain starts returning to normal.

it's still the best game ever made. there's just so many little wonderful touches and secret tactics and what have you. things like flash grenading the big group of bird on the way down to the swamp.

we.are.the.armada, did you play the PS2 version perhaps? cause that did have less enemies. this has the same number of enemies from the GC and Wii version. no more, no less.

def sim

The Mana Legend said:

Yes, you should be done there. It should have awarded you money for getting all six.

edit: you can do it all in one gallery? huh

The Lamonster said:
So real quick is the 360 version better looking or what?

Also is the disc-based version not coming to NA?

Same game but it will look clear on your HDTV. It's great if you have a set over 40" too.

The Lamonster said:
So real quick is the 360 version better looking or what?

Also is the disc-based version not coming to NA?

These questions have been asked and answered on pretty much every one of the last 25 pages.

got the US version and deleted the japanese version + its save. then I found out each version uses its own save. i've unlocked everything in japanese version. fml

Cruzader

Banned
God I'm not an avid RE4 fan but the control comments want me to smack the posters. Really, they are so hard to get used to?

Every game tends to control differently on It's own way. RE4 is no different. Even the ps3 version is fine. Never played it on GC but that control was horrible and if you somehow enjoyed shooters on that abomination of a control then you are the one with issues. I've played tons of shooters on GC and every single one felt horrible thanx to the control.

RedSwirl

Beat the game early this morning. Visually I think it actually still holds up well in a lot of places. The one thing that definitely does not hold up is the textures when viewed up-close, but generally the art directly still successfully communicates the game's atmosphere. The only instance of slowdown I saw in the 360 version was right as the U3's body disintegrated.

Believe it or not I actually used four rocket launchers throughout the game. I used the free one in the two Garrador room, bought another one to kill the Verdugo, bought another one to kill Salazar right after, and then later bought one to kill U3. The last one didn't even kill U3 instantly. I probably could've beaten Verdugo and U3 without them, but the two Garrador room and Salazar are a pain without the rocket launcher. Killing Verdugo on professional is borderline impossible without it.

Other tips:

When you get to the Krauser fight, knife him to death. It's way cooler and the knife is actually a lot more powerful during that one fight. This will save me a lot of trouble on my professional mode run (whenever I get the balls to do that). Last time I did it Krauser left me with almost no ammo for the remainder of the game. I had to run from everything and knife the final boss to death.

It's not extremely difficult to knife Sadler to death. He's actually a like the second (optional) Gigante fight.

Cruzader said:
God I'm not an avid RE4 fan but the control comments want me to smack the posters. Really, they are so hard to get used to?

Every game tends to control differently on It's own way. RE4 is no different. Even the ps3 version is fine. Never played it on GC but that control was horrible and if you somehow enjoyed shooters on that abomination of a control then you are the one with issues. I've played tons of shooters on GC and every single one felt horrible thanx to the control.

The difference is that RE4 was specifically calibrated and designed or the GCN controller. It actually worked really well on that thing, better than on a dual shock supposedly.

The 360 controls do feel very similar to the GCN controls though. And yes, I don't think every game in a genre should be confined to the same general control scheme, especially one as different as RE4. I still like to think of it as an action adventure game with shooter elements.

rance said:

It's not 4000, it's tree fiddy. ;-D
Seriously, it's 3500 points you need for the rare bottle cap. It's really not that difficult.

Oh, and the version of each stage changes after you get 3 bottle caps - so make sure you'll get the rare on in the first version of every single stage.

cvxfreak said:
This was, overall, a very lazy HD remaster and Capcom and Happy Happening should be ashamed of taking the easy way out with RE4 (although CV was well done in comparison).
So I suppose they included the Revival Selection developer credits in the menu or the manual? How many people worked on each version?

Happy Happening was the company that collaborated with Capcom on the Wii ports of Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero.

Davey Cakes

RedSwirl said:
Believe it or not I actually used four rocket launchers throughout the game. I used the free one in the two Garrador room, bought another one to kill the Verdugo, bought another one to kill Salazar right after, and then later bought one to kill U3. The last one didn't even kill U3 instantly. I probably could've beaten Verdugo and U3 without them, but the two Garrador room and Salazar are a pain without the rocket launcher. Killing Verdugo on professional is borderline impossible without it.
My first run on Professional back in the GC version was similar. I was conservative and always put 30,000 pesetas aside for rocket launchers that I could use on the major bosses.

I will say that I'd sooner use one against Verdugo than Salazar though. The latter is relatively easier. Shotgun for eyeball, magnum for the rest. Gets the job done.

Additionally, in no playthrough did I ever use the rocket launcher on the Garradors. That is most certainly the easiest and least frustrating way to go about it, but honestly, a well-upgraded magnum takes those guys out in two hits each. The hard part is killing all the regular enemies first while avoiding the Garradors. If you can get them to stop chasing you, it's then all about getting them while their back is turned.

I will say that it takes away from the fights on the first playthrough, but relying on the rocket launcher for big bosses is a sound strategy. I mean, if you're willing and able to conserve the pesetas and keep your inventory well-managed, then all the power to you to blow those fuckers to pieces.

venom2124

I'm starting my pro run today and need some advice about a particular section from those that completed it. What's the best way to get through the section in the castle
after shooting the wine glass in the painting? I've finished the game a hundred times on normal, but always get messed up when the cage drops. Should I use flash grenades, but that doesn't affect the garrador right?

SkylineRKR

venom2124 said:
I'm starting my pro run today and need some advice about a particular section from those that completed it. What's the best way to get through the section in the castle
after shooting the wine glass in the painting? I've finished the game a hundred times on normal, but always get messed up when the cage drops. Should I use flash grenades, but that doesn't affect the garrador right?

Quickly Shotgun the gate and run to the open area.

This might be slightly off-topic, but do you think its possible Capcom would port the GC remake of RE to Xbox/PS3 as a "Revival Selection"? I am a huge fan of the RE series, but the remake on GC had everything I love in RE in one game. If you haven't played it, I highly recommend.

DarkSoul520 said:
This might be slightly off-topic, but do you think its possible Capcom would port the GC remake of RE to Xbox/PS3 as a "Revival Selection"? I am a huge fan of the RE series, but the remake on GC had everything I love in RE in one game. If you haven't played it, I highly recommend.

I think Nintendo has some sort of deal with Capcom to keep REmake and RE Zero Nintendo exclusives.

def sim

The Mana Legend said:
I think Nintendo has some sort of deal with Capcom to keep REmake and RE Zero Nintendo exclusives.

Did they have a hand in development or publishing? If not, it's probably as exclusive as RE4 was. Just that RE4 is a much better sell.

GrayFoxPL

DarkSoul520 said:

Someone posted that in jp disc edition when viewed in xmb there's third empty place for a game. Maybe they planned to add remake, maybe they add it later. Would be sex.

Top Bottom