• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

The Mana Legend said:
I think Nintendo has some sort of deal with Capcom to keep REmake and RE Zero Nintendo exclusives.

Damn shame. REmake and RE Zero are both great looking games that would definitely benefit from the HD uplift. I just played REmake recently on my friend's 45" TV and although it looks good, it would be amazing in HD.

Sylver

Banned
The Mana Legend said:
I think Nintendo has some sort of deal with Capcom to keep REmake and RE Zero Nintendo exclusives.
Adapt pre-rendered grahpics from 480p to 720p or 1080p is hardder mission than render a 3D model from 480p to HD.

DarkSoul520 said:
Damn shame. REmake and RE Zero are both great looking games that would definitely benefit from the HD uplift. I just played REmake recently on my friend's 45" TV and although it looks good, it would be amazing in HD.

It's pre-rendered though, so they would have to go back and re-do everything in HD, if that is even possible. RE4 and CVX are just the old games running in HD (with a couple of added effects) - if you gave REmake the same treatment, it would look pretty much the same as it already does on GC.

Cruzader said:
God I'm not an avid RE4 fan but the control comments want me to smack the posters. Really, they are so hard to get used to?

Every game tends to control differently on It's own way. RE4 is no different. Even the ps3 version is fine. Never played it on GC but that control was horrible and if you somehow enjoyed shooters on that abomination of a control then you are the one with issues. I've played tons of shooters on GC and every single one felt horrible thanx to the control.

Almost all games control in the same way except the terrible control system in RE4. But hey I'm glad it works for you.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rash said:
On my first few playthroughs I didn't even buy the Striker at all. Just upgraded the shotgun all the way through the game. It's honestly "good enough" for every situation, though the spread-fire capabilities of the Striker are good for someone who struggles with crowd control.

Honestly, this is my preferred way of getting weapons:

-Buy Red9 and stock, and don't upgrade the regular handgun beforehand. Sell Punisher.
-Use the first shotgun all the way through the game.
-Skip the Rifle for the entire village sequence; buy Semi-Auto Rifle as soon as getting to Castle.
-Obtain free Broken Butterfly at Castle.
-Take free Rocket Launcher and use it against Verdugo (takes really good inventory discipline).

And that's basically it. I prefer the Red9 to other handguns because of power and it's general awesomeness. I get that baby to 6.5 exclusive power right before leaving the Castle. I prefer just upgrading the regular shotgun because you get it for free in the beginning and it remains powerful enough to handle situations where it's needed. For my first professional run of the game I used the rifle in the village but afterwards realized that it's possible to skip it and buy the superior semi-auto version at the Castle. As for the Broken Butterfly, its power eventually surpasses the Killer7, plus it's free. The Punisher is the only free weapon that's not worth using, IMO.

That said, everybody has their preferences. I can see why some players like the Blacktail but, I, personally, am all about power and the Red9 is just great.

The Striker actually does more damage than the Riot Gun. Literally, the only disadvantage of the Striker is its cost + you get it late game. It's not like RE5's version, which is less powerful. Everything is better about it except for the one quality that doesn't matter for a shotgun- range. There is really no reason to use the Riot Gun outside of looks. Even the Shotgun has a better Exclusive.

I bought it because it takes up less space and holds tons of ammo over the Shotgun, but generally I stick with an unupgraded Shotgun all the way through until the Striker becomes available.

Similarly, I stick with an unupgraded Handgun until the Red9+Stock.

Toss up on how I'm feeling with the Rifles. Sometimes I go Semi-Auto for speed, sometimes I go Bolt Action for Power. Generally, if I go for Semi-Auto, I skil the Bolt Action. I don't bother buying the Stock for either.

Broken Butterfly is perfect and free, as you said. Insane fire power. The Killer7 has a better firing rate, but again firing rate is worthless for a Magnum where you have limited ammo. Make every shot count.

As a general policy, I never use a Rocket Launcher in a playthrough unless I'm messing around with the Infinite Rocket Launcher. I grab the one that's free and sell it for cash.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's pre-rendered though, so they would have to go back and re-do everything in HD, if that is even possible. RE4 and CVX are just the old games running in HD (with a couple of added effects) - if you gave REmake the same treatment, it would look pretty much the same as it already does on GC.
nah, they wouldn't. and it doesn't. check out shots of it running in Dolphin. even just scaling the backgrounds and overlaying the other stuff on top in HD it looks surprisingly good.

seriously, check out some shots from the dolphin thread. if these two are succesful, REmake and Zero should definately be next.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did RE4's costumes have any effects/stat boosts?

I know that Ashley's knight costume makes her invulnerable and Leon's gangster costume removes 60% of the damage and provide special bullets for the Chicago Typewriter (not sure if I'm right?)...

BigNastyCurve said:
Almost all games control in the same way except the terrible control system in RE4. But hey I'm glad it works for you.
Yeah and RE4 is better than 99% of those games. Maybe other games have something to look at when it comes to controls (and to not take them for granted). Would Bionic Commando be as good with a jump button?

Sylver said:
Adapt pre-rendered grahpics from 480p to 720p or 1080p is hardder mission than render a 3D model from 480p to HD.

At this point it would be faster to just make the backgrounds real time polygon models instead. Hell with the fixed cameras and small rooms they could easily recreate them 1:1.

BigNastyCurve said:

I consider this one of the problems with current games - no identity. It's not a good thing when games are so cookie-cutter that they don't even have different control schemes.

RedSwirl

Shit. I think I'm gonna go ahead and start pro. Just asking: does completing Assignment Ada unlock the typewriter for both normal and pro mode files? Or would I have to repeat Ada on pro difficulty?

Also, does everybody really consider the TMP worthless? I rarely use it for actual combat but I find it to be worthwhile for crowd control, getting bosses into hitstun, and shooting down treasures if I don't want to waste handgun ammo.

snap0212

BigNastyCurve said:
Is the control system in RE4 actually terrible or do you just not like it because it's different? Being different doesn't mean worse, you know. It just means that you have to get used to it. What doesn't work as well as it would with another control method?

ElFly

I always use the free rocket launcher on Verdugo, cause he is so annoying to fight (except for my very first playthrough, where I didn't pick the rocket launcher).

Took me until the second gigante fight to get used to the controls. I hadn't played non-Wii RE4 for several years, and had completely forgot about aiming. I've been using the second control scheme in the PS2, actually, since shooting with R1 is way more natural now that using a face button.

I used the freebie lawnchair on the verdugo fight and the blast clipped the side of him while he was frozen. My aim was just slightly off due to tension =). Well it didnt fully kill him and it was the first time I had to battle him going through the motions in years. What a rush though. Too bad it ate up all of my Butterfly ammo =/

Pro run is smooth as hell. Havent died yet. It always feels easier or rather, quite "comfortable" when you play right after your initial run on Normal.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ULTROS! said:
Did RE4's costumes have any effects/stat boosts?

I know that Ashley's knight costume makes her invulnerable and Leon's gangster costume removes 60% of the damage and provide special bullets for the Chicago Typewriter (not sure if I'm right?)...

The only one I'm positive about is the Ashley Knight Costume. Leon's gangster costume changes the Chicago Typewriter to a full moon clip, but doesn't actually change any damage properties, I don't believe.

I've heard that the Leon RPD costume actually acts as body armor (rendering the body armor in the shop redundant), but I don't remember where I read that, so it could be just a rumor.

ElFly

RedSwirl said:
How the hell do you guys deal with the two Garradors then?

Shoot the two monks with the rifle, from the door. Turn around and exit the room.

Then go back inside, the monks are no longer there. Snipe the bell, you can hit a garrador once or twice. Dodge the other garrador and shoot the bell again. They should die around that time. If you kill one from the door, you can turn around and exit the room again, and when you go back, you only need to kill one garrador.

Cruzader

Banned
snap0212 said:
Is the control system in RE4 actually terrible or do you just not like it because it's different? Being different doesn't mean worse, you know. It just means that you have to get used to it. What doesn't work as well as it would with another control method?
I think this is the case. Some people want a twin stick shooter for all action games and thats not how it works. Really messed up mentality. A game has its own controls and they are done that way on purpose 99% of the time to fit the gameplay.

Now if you look at that new Resident Evil game from Slant 6, holy shit it looks generic as fuck thanx to the style their targeting....TPS. You know, aim with right stick, move with left. Blow shit up. Horrible. Imagine RE4 being like that. It just wouldnt work like it does with its current gun play/gameplay mechanics. It wouldnt be praised as much as it does today.

MoxManiac

Garradors are easy as shit when they are alone. It's a little harder when you have monks as a distraction but as long as you keep moving it shouldn't be an issue.

Cruzader said:
Now if you look at that new Resident Evil game from Slant 6, holy shit it looks generic as fuck thanx to the style their targeting....TPS. You know, aim with right stick, move with left. Blow shit up. Horrible. Imagine RE4 being like that. It just wouldnt work like it does with its current gun play/gameplay mechanics. It wouldnt be praised as much as it does today.
Optional right stick aiming along with the already included L to aim and R to shoot would have been nice for the HD version. I'm not saying add strafing or any other stuff since that would mess with the game balance but playing through muscle memory is a pain in the ass.

plagiarize said:
nah, they wouldn't. and it doesn't. check out shots of it running in Dolphin. even just scaling the backgrounds and overlaying the other stuff on top in HD it looks surprisingly good.

seriously, check out some shots from the dolphin thread. if these two are succesful, REmake and Zero should definately be next.

I have seen them. It looks like upscaling a .BMP and pasting a high-res character on it.

DolphinIL%202009-08-07%2017-19-06-82.jpg

There is also the problem of stretching, because the source material was designed for 4:3 displays.

scratch what I said earlier about Pro being smooth...its really one hell of a rollercoaster ride dipped in awesomesauce and dripping with visceral excellence

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Leondexter said:
I consider this one of the problems with current games - no identity. It's not a good thing when games are so cookie-cutter that they don't even have different control schemes.

I wouldn't go that far. A game should forge its identity in other ways. Control schemes become standardized within genres because they are approximating an ideally intuitive control scheme. It's not just random chance that particular control schemes catch on.

But I'm not arguing against you about RE4 specifically. I think people who can't/wont adapt to the controls are scrubs of the highest caliber.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I have seen them. It looks like upscaling a .BMP and pasting a high-res character on it.

*snip*

There is also the problem of stretching, because the source material was designed for 4:3 displays.
you deal with that problem by NOT stretching. no reason it can't be 4:3 still.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OK! I ADMIT IT!

This is the best game of all fucking time (just beat it).

Wow, just WOW

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I NEED SCISSORS said:

http://img.techpowerup.org/090807/DolphinIL%202009-08-07%2017-19-06-82.jpg[IMG]

There is also the problem of stretching, because the source material was designed for 4:3 displays.[/QUOTE]
If stretching is a problem then don't stretch it! My eyes...

And the game looks fine at 1440x1080. Great, even. Quadrupling the resolution didn't stop them from releasing uprezzed versions of the originals on Dreamcast and PC. :P

Mithos

Gold Member
RedSwirl said:
So does anybody know whether unlocks from other modes apply to pro mode NG+ or if you have to redo those modes on pro?
Costumes unlocked can be used in NG+ on normal for me AND Pro mode, sadly no upgraded weapons from Normal carries over I could really need it, SO I'm hoping unlocking the Handcannon will help me out a great bit in PRo mode.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mithos said:
Costumes unlocked can be used in NG+ on normal for me AND Pro mode, sadly no upgraded weapons from Normal carries over I could really need it, SO I'm hoping unlocking the Handcannon will help me out a great bit in PRo mode.
Unlock handcannon? I thought nothing carried over from Normal mode? Doing my Pro run tomorrow, so hyped

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Mithos said:

Outfits are purely cosmetic so they don't lock them out of Pro mode. I don't think you can use any unlockables in Pro until you've finished Pro.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cvxfreak said:
After extensively playing through RE4 on the PS3, it's safe to say that I won't be revisiting this version in the future. The upscaled visuals are an improvement, but I just didn't enjoy the game as much without the motion controls. The Dual Shock 3 in particular is an awful fit for the game, at least in comparison to the other versions, and the slowdown is inexcusable. This was, overall, a very lazy HD remaster and Capcom and Happy Happening should be ashamed of taking the easy way out with RE4 (although CV was well done in comparison).

I don't think the PS3's HD visuals are worth the trade off in controls or framerate. If you own the Wii version, skip this one.
The Wii version is so incredibly ugly, though. The upscaled 640x360 simply doesn't look good at all on a large screen. It's both very blurry and jaggy.

Yoshichan

Like this version or not, if you wanna play it on a big screen TV this game is a must. Everything else looks garbage in comparison.

Yoshichan

GrayFoxPL said:
Wonder how many will cry tears of failure on Veronica. Imo the easiest classic RE.

Can't wait.
This is so inaccurate for me. By far the hardest one, I never really had trouble with any of the classics except for CVx.

Mithos

Gold Member
Yoshichan said:
Unlock handcannon? I thought nothing carried over from Normal mode? Doing my Pro run tomorrow, so hyped
Mercenaries unlock, I believe.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Outfits are purely cosmetic so they don't lock them out of Pro mode. I don't think you can use any unlockables in Pro until you've finished Pro.

Ashley's Knights armor if it work as described by people is hardly just cosmetic though ^^
But it sucks if I cant get access to good weapons, 3hours in, and only just left the church...Deaths 30+ so far.

venom2124

Yoshichan said:
This is so inaccurate for me. By far the hardest one, I never really had trouble with any of the classics except for CVx.
I agree. I remember the tyrant fight in the enclosed area being tough as hell.

GrayFoxPL

Yoshichan said:

Way easier then 2 and 3, close to 1. Enemies in cvx are much easier to dodge and those yellow goo monsters are harmless. By the end of the game I had arsenal of weapons and ammo enough for world war 3, unused :(. And that was first playthrough.

RedSwirl

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I know that already. I'm asking if unlocking the typewriter once will let me use it in NG+ pro, or do I have to go through Assignment Ada again for Pro?

Also, flash grenades kill crows WTF?!

RedSwirl said:
Also, flash grenades kill crows WTF?!
yep :)

and you get a decent windfall if you use one on the large batch of crows after the church on your way down to the swamps.

i haven't finished CVX... but of 0, 1, REmake 2 and 3 I find 3 the hardest. always have. dunno why.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
GrayFoxPL said:
Way easier then 2 and 3, close to 1. Enemies in cvx are much easier to dodge and those yellow goo monsters are harmless. By the end of the game I had arsenal of weapons and ammo enough for world war 3, unused :(. And that was first playthrough.
This is true. CV is a very easy game outside of those few moments that are basically designed to kill you until you try again knowing what to expect.

By the end of my playthrough of the HD version I have the AK and machine pistols both at 100%, plus an extra clip, tons of launcher ammo of every type, 40 shotgun rounds, 200 pistol rounds, 12 magnum rounds,
and 3 knives
. Also at least 8 first aid sprays and several herbs. There aren't enough enemies in the to soak up your bullets. :p

RedSwirl said:
How the hell do you guys deal with the two Garradors then?

Just use the hallway, walk around, shoot one in back, run back in hallway, etc. It's really easy, just don't get sandwiched. It's basically just a game of using the hallway to sneak up behind them. I just did this on Pro Mode and didn't die once. Heck, this is pretty much my first time doing Pro Mode and I've only died two or three times. Maybe I'm just lucky, but this shit is a lot easier than I thought it would be.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Mithos said:
Mercenaries unlock, I believe.

Ashley's Knights armor if it work as described by people is hardly just cosmetic though ^^
But it sucks if I cant get access to good weapons, 3hours in, and only just left the church...Deaths 30+ so far.

Oh yeah, you're totally right about the armor. Hmm.

Well, Pro mode is supposed to be hard. It would be easy with fully leveled weapons, health and unlocks.

Risible

plagiarize said:
yep :)

and you get a decent windfall if you use one on the large batch of crows after the church on your way down to the swamps.

i haven't finished CVX... but of 0, 1, REmake 2 and 3 I find 3 the hardest. always have. dunno why.

Yeah, I always flash the groups of crows found in the fountain near the hedge maze and in the first Gigante area. Lots of money and/or ammo. Well worth the use of a flash.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Risible said:
Yeah, I always flash the groups of crows found in the fountain near the hedge maze and in the first Gigante area. Lots of money and/or ammo. Well worth the use of a flash.

I love this game's attitude towards birds. Shoot an innocent crow, get money. Shoot the nest where their precious babies live, get jewels.

Fuck crows.

SkylineRKR

Completed RE4 in close to 14 hours, was fun to replay this game as its been 6 years or more. Have to say that the final area isn't really as good as the other ones. It gave me RE5 feelings and I bloody hate that game. It does hold some epic scenes though.

Will replay Separate Ways asap too, I liked it back on the Ps2.

GrayFoxPL said:

Yeah, agree, CV was really easy. The knife was also ridiculously powerful, I typically went Knife only until the hunters showed up. There was some deathtrap though, you could mess up if you didn't manage your inventory well.

3 was weird, there was Easy and Hard. Hard was obviously the proper way to play it. I rinsed that game and got all Epilogues.

The best part about REmake was the Type-C controls, which were a godsend for the tank style RE games...then in typical Capcom fashion, they took them out of REZero and any future RE ports and remakes.

Top Bottom