• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's pre-rendered though, so they would have to go back and re-do everything in HD, if that is even possible. RE4 and CVX are just the old games running in HD (with a couple of added effects) - if you gave REmake the same treatment, it would look pretty much the same as it already does on GC.

I wouldn't mind getting remake and zero with trophy support at 480p. for 10$ a pop or something. certainly all the sega genesis and neo geo games aren't 1080 or 720p natively.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I love this game's attitude towards birds. Shoot an innocent crow, get money. Shoot the nest where their precious babies live, get jewels.

Fuck crows.

Dont forget the murder you can flash
resting on the girders before you take the elevator up to radio in for help on the island. one of them even gives you 5k in gold bars.

Mithos

Gold Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Oh yeah, you're totally right about the armor. Hmm.
Well, Pro mode is supposed to be hard. It would be easy with fully leveled weapons, health and unlocks.
Well there is hard, and there is HARD...
Oh, well I had already chosen the costume types, and they indeed help a lot not needing to care about Ashley ^^

Switched tactics also, got the Red9 + Stock as soon as it became available (and sold of the handgun+punisher) and upgraded it on spot, helps a lot too.

Curufinwe

I finished my Normal playthru with 11 deaths and 82% hit ratio. 82% is my highest for a full run thru the game, so I guess the 360 pad's left stick isn't too bad for aiming, even though I did have to switch to the D-pad for some of the Shooting Range levels.

I think I'll play Professional in Special 1 rather than than using Special 2 to make Ashley invincible. It's probably the last time I'll play RE 4 on Pro so I may as well do it legit.
Last time until Capcom release the Vita version.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yes,
Duty and Humanity
can be missed.

As for the game itself, it has an item or two that you can permanently screw yourself out of getting near the end. Don't forget to leave the fire extinguisher in an item box (not the security box near the beginning!) and you should be fine.

luka said:
Yes,
Duty and Humanity
can be missed.

As for the game itself, it has an item or two that you can permanently screw yourself out of getting near the end. Don't forget to leave the fire extinguisher in an item box (not the security box near the beginning!) and you should be fine.

Thanks for the tips. I had no problem beating RE1-3, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble with this.

Cruzader

Banned
hikarutilmitt said:
Do we know if the 50% off PSN+ price for RE4 and CVX lasts a while?
I think on this Tuesday, RE4 sale ends and CV sale starts. Someone said 2 weeks but the blog states 1 week sale so if I were you, I'd buy it before Tuesday. $10 for a full game is a no brainer.

2 weeks.
1057988-two_weeks_image_super.jpg

cvxfreak

Ninja Scooter said:
The best part about REmake was the Type-C controls, which were a godsend for the tank style RE games...then in typical Capcom fashion, they took them out of REZero and any future RE ports and remakes.

Type C was available in RE2, RE3 and CVX for GC. RE0 didn't have them because it would have been difficult with the 2 characters, right?

dark10x said:
The Wii version is so incredibly ugly, though. The upscaled 640x360 simply doesn't look good at all on a large screen. It's both very blurry and jaggy.

Yeah -- that's the only thing that holds it back from being the perfect version.

Still, I'll take the best controls over an iffy HD port with slowdown.

I know this is off-topic, but how are the Wii versions of REmake and RE 0? I never really got to play those very much, and considering they are really cheap, I was thinking of getting them.

cvxfreak

The Mana Legend said:
I know this is off-topic, but how are the Wii versions of REmake and RE 0? I never really got to play those very much, and considering they are really cheap, I was thinking of getting them.

They're virtually the same as the original GC versions. They're just now on one disc and compatible with the Wii's controllers.

cvxfreak

Prime Blue said:
So I suppose they included the Revival Selection developer credits in the menu or the manual? How many people worked on each version?

Happy Happening was the company that collaborated with Capcom on the Wii ports of Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero.

Developer credits appear in the main menu when the main game is completed.

Indeed, I remembered the name "Happy Happening" from those 2 ports. Who could forget a name like that? :p

snap0212

I tried to take some screenshots earlier today and noticed that this game is full of little (really amazing) details. Take a look at these reflections:

Or the fact that the text is actually written down...

http://i.imgur.com/N3W7C.jpg This might be a spoiler if you're very early into the game.

d00d3n

When I played the GC version I was really focused on the offset over the should perspective, the precision aiming and the weapon/inventory/upgrade design as the greatest achievements of the game. These aspects still stand out to me when I replay for the first time on 360, but I have to agree with the poster (who I lazily don't quote) who focused his praise on the enemy encounter design.

There is virtually no grind or filler in the game, which is amazing considering its length. Every "new room" is designed with enemy placements, environmental factors and introduction of the next enemy type to provide something new. While games like Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 1/2, Gears of War 1/2 and Uncharted 1/2 have improved the core systems that Resident Evil 4 introduced, none of them provides uniquely designed gameplay challenges in every new room you enter. The game has something in common with the zelda series and the 3d marios in this sense (rejection of repetition, hate of the grind, introduction of new gameplay concepts as the driving force behind the game).

Curufinwe

cvxfreak said:

There's almost no slowdown in the 360 version; like an earlier poster the only time I saw any was when U3 dissolved. And outside of the shooting galleries (which would be fine with a pad if the Merchant let you use the Red 9 with stock and TMP with stock) I enjoyed it more than the Wii version which has gimped sniper shooting due to an over-accelerated analog stick on the nunchuk and annoying QTEs because the buttons are all the same color.

The manual for my PS2 copy had a page of RE 4 hints that I printed out in February 2005, and there's was one on there that I had totally forgotten about and haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread. Using default controls, if you're aiming up high or down low and quickly need to recenter your aim at about ganado-head height, just tap LT.

cvxfreak

Curufinwe said:
There's almost no slowdown in the 360 version; like an earlier poster the only time I saw any was when U3 dissolved. And outside of the shooting galleries (which would be fine with a pad if the Merchant let you use the Red 9 with stock and TMP with stock) I enjoyed it more than the Wii version which has gimped sniper shooting due to an over-accelerated analog stick on the nunchuk and annoying QTEs because the buttons are all the same color.

The manual for my PS2 copy had a page of RE 4 hints that I printed out in February 2005, and there's was one on there that I had totally forgotten about and haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread. Using default controls, if you're aiming up high or down low and quickly need to recenter your aim at about ganado-head height, just tap LT.
I played a little bit of the 360 version and it appears to be a little bit better than the PS3 one. Going to thoroughly play through that one next.

I still see no reason to go back to the PS3 version in particular.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cvxfreak said:
I played a little bit of the 360 version and it appears to be a little bit better than the PS3 one. Going to thoroughly play through that one next.

I still see no reason to go back to the PS3 version in particular.
The audio quality is something that is definitely bugging me more and more as I play. I've been hovering back and forth between PS3 and Wii edition (with GC pad) for a while now. :(
Sadly I think the CV port is the most satisfying thing about this collection. No problems there. :p

RedSwirl said:
Goddamn I forgot how hard the village chief was on pro.
I basically save all my tmp ammo and incendiary grenades for him on pro runs.

master15

Completed the game this afternoon. Went through a 16 hour marathon over last to days to complete this. Game is still a blast.

Playing this game reminds me, how Resident Evil games turn me completely OCD. Always ensuring I've collected all items, opened all boxes and after every task, ensuring I reloaded.

I played the PS3 version and I'm curious if anyone else encountered similar bugs, but the collision detection, there seems to be a lag or delay, and I've been multiple times AI getting stuck in a door or enterance.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
RedSwirl said:
TMP his ass. ;)

I never actually bother with the TMP in the game, but I'll stick to it and upgrade it for my Pro run. It's a beast of a gun. I'm in the Del Lago part in my Pro run. Haven't had any issues so far.

I do have a question...

Since I never played Separate Ways until yesterday, I noticed the villagers were waaaay more agressive in the sense that they'd attack very quickly and they would get up in a matter of seconds once they were on the floor. Are they purposefully more difficult? I'm not complaining or anything, but it surprised me. lol

Rewrite said:
TMP his ass. ;)

I never actually bother with the TMP in the game, but I'll stick to it and upgrade it for my Pro run. It's a beast of a gun. I'm in the Del Lago part in my Pro run. Haven't had any issues so far.

I do have a question...

Since I never played Separate Ways until yesterday, I noticed the villagers were waaaay more agressive in the sense that they'd attack very quickly and they would get up in a matter of seconds once they were on the floor. Are they purposefully more difficult? I'm not complaining or anything, but it surprised me. lol
speculation on my part, but the PS2 had fewer enemies. perhaps they tweaked the AI to compensate? it's not something i've noticed myself, but then i haven't played it since the Wii version first came out.

RedSwirl said:

It's not too bad. Four incendiary grenades take down his first form, and then during his second form, run around blasting him with the shotgun and any explosive barrels. I was super nervous about the fight, especially with this being my first real Pro playthrough, but I got through it without getting it.

RedSwirl

Well, the only other really intense part of pro mode to my memory is that really big room in the castle. After that it's pretty smooth sailing until the Verdugo (if I don't have a rocket launcher). I'll remember to just knife Krause to death. Not doing that on my last pro run forced me to play through the entire rest of the game with literally no ammo.

Professional is a cakewalk until the castle water room where Ashley turns the crank. I was stuck on that part for almost a year - seriously. It's all nightmare mode afterwards. I still haven't even beat Pro; I was last at the giant Salazar statue because I couldn't get past the damn QTE.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Since CVX is coming out this week, anyone picking it up? :p

TheHakku

ChoklitReign said:
Professional is a cakewalk until the castle water room where Ashley turns the crank. I was stuck on that part for almost a year - seriously.
You won't even have to worry about her if you use the alternate outfits. The enemies can't pick her up.

...And I'm totally buying CVX, even though I never finished my Dreamcast copy. $10? No-brainer.

So is there any actual real confirmation - does the PS3 version have more slowdown than the 360 ver? This is Capcom so I can believe that pretty easy, even on a port of a last generation game.

ChoklitReign said:
Professional is a cakewalk until the castle water room where Ashley turns the crank. I was stuck on that part for almost a year - seriously.

Enter room, snipe a few enemies, leave room, repeat. Leave the room again whenever you want a checkpoint.

TheHakku

MTMBStudios said:
So is there any actual real confirmation - does the PS3 version have more slowdown than the 360 ver? This is Capcom so I can believe that pretty easy, even on a port of a last generation game.
I noticed no slowdown aside from when I tossed a grenade into the crowd of zombies that
come out from behind the waterfall in front of the next door

Seik

Banned
I want a disc release with an artbook like the japanese, please Capcom! D:

I might buy one on Ebay soon, my patience is wearing thin.

Dreamer RD

Any tips on speedrunning? It seems that waterfall, island and TMP glitches are not working here.
The best time I managed is 1:53, while top result is about 1:43

Davey Cakes

The Xtortionist said:
Enter room, snipe a few enemies, leave room, repeat. Leave the room again whenever you want a checkpoint.
I never even realized that strategy until my later playthroughs. Seemed so obvious once I realized that the game doesn't lock you in the room.

Such an exploit. The easy way out. But hey, it's there. Makes one of the hardest parts of the game completely manageable.

RedSwirl

Rash said:
I never even realized that strategy until my later playthroughs. Seemed so obvious once I realized that the game doesn't lock you in the room.

Such an exploit. The easy way out. But hey, it's there. Makes one of the hardest parts of the game completely manageable.
A few more enemies spawn if you re-enter.

Also, I definitely am finding fewer red herbs in this game than I remember. I don't remember yellow herbs being more common than red ones.

onken

cvxfreak said:
Yeah -- that's the only thing that holds it back from being the perfect version.

Disagree here. Wii/GC versions look awful and the game simply isn't balanced for pointer controls. I also think you're overstating the slowdown. The HDR is the definitive version, no contest.

cvxfreak

onken said:
Disagree here. Wii/GC versions look awful and the game simply isn't balanced for pointer controls. I also think you're overstating the slowdown. The HDR is the definitive version, no contest.

I have experienced slowdown in at least 5 areas of the game. That's approximately 4 more places than I've experienced in the Wii, GameCube and even PS2 versions in the last 6 years and 9 months.

The PS3 is a generation beyond the above 3 platforms technologically and it's a shame Capcom did not do more to optimize the game for it. The PS3 had so much potential for RE4 and failed to live up to it.

burgerdog

cvxfreak said:
I have experienced slowdown in at least 5 areas of the game. That's approximately 4 more places than I've experienced in the Wii, GameCube and even PS2 versions in the last 6 years and 9 months.

The PS3 is a generation beyond the above 3 platforms technologically and it's a shame Capcom did not do more to optimize the game for it. The PS3 had so much potential for RE4 and failed to live up to it.
What about the 360 version?

def sim

I haven't noticed any slowdown yet on the 360 version that the GC/Wii version didn't have. (water area in village + zombies + grenade) It's not a considerable drop, pretty ignorable in fact, but it's still there.

I'm in the castle and just took Ashley back so not too far into the game.

Seik said:
I want a disc release with an artbook like the japanese, please Capcom! D:

I might buy one on Ebay soon, my patience is wearing thin.

Capcom USA says: we are looking out for you dawg, we wanted to make sure we didn't overcharge you, that's why we didn't even bother to put it on a disc

Top Bottom