• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

rance said:
I haven't noticed any slowdown yet on the 360 version that the GC/Wii version didn't have. (water area in village + zombies + grenade) It's not a considerable drop, pretty ignorable in fact, but it's still there.

I'm in the castle and just took Ashley back so not too far into the game.

I am on the PS3 and it is so disappointing. Blatant slowdown once you are in the rain

cvxfreak

burgerdog said:
What about the 360 version?

No idea. I need to look into it further, but people are saying that the 360 version has slowdown too.

I did like the 360 controller better from the 15 minutes I played it. (NA download version)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
luka said:
2-1 has tons of slowdown. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned it.

I just had some pretty serious slowdown in the area just after the Bella Sisters in the camp. I got cornered, there were 8 or so enemies on screen, and one blew fire at me. I assume there were just too many effects going on at once.

def sim

cvxfreak said:
No idea. I need to look into it further, but people are saying that the 360 version has slowdown too.

I'll give people here the benefit of the doubt but

BeautifulMemory said:
I am on the PS3 and it is so disappointing. Blatant slowdown once you are in the rain

Yikes. I reloaded 2-1 just to make sure, threw a grenade at the first tentacle head you meet (plus his friend), and it ran just fine. So, 360 definitely doesn't have that problem in chapter 2.

rance said:
I'll give people here the benefit of the doubt but

Yikes. I reloaded 2-1 just to make sure, threw a grenade at the first tentacle head you meet (plus his friend), and it ran just fine. So, 360 definitely doesn't have that.

Yeah, just being in the rain caused initial slow down. Then, the El Gigante fight (oh how you are in RE4!), the moment you dodge per QTE, there's a slow down. Then, when you first encounter the dogs, just by them coming at you, slow down.

-_-

I'm at the castle on PS3 and the only slowdown I've seen is blasting a shotgun into water.

Yeah, just being in the rain caused initial slow down. Then, the El Gigante fight (oh how you are in RE4!), the moment you dodge per QTE, there's a slow down. Then, when you first encounter the dogs, just by them coming at you, slow down.

-_-

I haven't seen any of what you described.

cvxfreak

burgerdog said:
It also looked like dog poop.

1. It didn't, really.

2. At least we were all expecting that. RE4 went from a more powerful system to a less powerful one. Revival Selection is the opposite.

123rl

No slowdown for me (360) at all. I don't know why people say the Wii version is superior when the game was never designed for motion controls. It made the game too simple. The fun of Resi 4 lies in using the controller, restraints and all. Plus doing the QTEs on the Wii Remote was extremely aggravating

burgerdog

cvxfreak said:
1. It didn't, really.

2. At least we were all expecting that. RE4 went from a more powerful system to a less powerful one. Revival Selection is the opposite.
Going to disagree with #1. Missing lighting effects, awful water, lower poly models, pre-rendered cutscenes, and who knows what else. It's the only version of RE4 that I did not complete(still working on 360 run.)

cvxfreak

123rl said:
No slowdown for me (360) at all. I don't know why people say the Wii version is superior when the game was never designed for motion controls. It made the game too simple. The fun of Resi 4 lies in using the controller, restraints and all. Plus doing the QTEs on the Wii Remote was extremely aggravating

My traditional pad preference goes something like this:

GC > Classic Controller Pro > 360 > PS3 > PS2 > Classic Controller

burgerdog said:
Going to disagree with #1. Missing lighting effects, awful water, lower poly models, pre-rendered cutscenes, and who knows what else. It's the only version of RE4 that I did not complete(still working on 360 run.)

I disagree with your choice of words more than anything.

HYDE

Banned
This answer/question should be in the op:

Does this version contain Capcom's shitty DRM yes or no?

No, Resident Evil 4 HD does not contain Capcom's shitty DRM (P.S. It's safe to purchase).

def sim

We can't really say it doesn't have slowdown. Even the GC/Wii version had them, after all. The issue is whether there are new parts where they occur, which the 360 version hasn't shown so far.

Loudninja

rance said:
We can't really say it doesn't have slowdown. Even the GC/Wii version had them, after all. The issue is whether there are new parts where they occur, which the 360 version hasn't shown so far.
It shouldn't be no slowdown at all, how many times did they make this game now?

def sim

Loudninja said:
It shouldn't be no slowdown at all, how many times did they make this game now?

Fair enough, but I made my purchase knowing it's going to be a near direct port of the same game we've all been playing. Only now it's much clearer on my television.

I have to admit though, after reading the Halo 1 remake thread, I totally would have paid $20 more if they did a proper anniversary edition like that.

onken

I'm at the knife-fight part now and literally the only 2 places I noticed slowdown was looking down from the cliff by the waterfall section after the lake monster and the cutscene where you bring the insect hive down. Not saying it's not there but I really haven't noticed anything apart from that.

Anth0ny said:
PS2
PC
PS3
Wii

It would be five times, so far =P

You forgot the iOs version.

Was going off the Wikipedia list, I thought it was five at first. But then I was like, holy shit Capcom, you sonsofbitches.

Nintendo GameCube
PlayStation 2
Microsoft Windows
Wii
Mobile phone
iPhone
Zeebo
iPad
PlayStation 3
Xbox 360

Red Blaster said:
I'm at the castle on PS3 and the only slowdown I've seen is blasting a shotgun into water.

I haven't seen any of what you described.

I don't know then. I am running an OG phat PS3, doubt that makes a difference. At least for my experience, the framerate drop is pretty blatant

cvxfreak

burgerdog said:
Fair enough.

Did you figure out what was wrong with your ps3 version of cv:x? Display problem?

I changed the RGB range and that did some good. Still prefer the 360 look overall, but CVX is definitely great on either HD platform (super compressed CG notwithstanding). :p

Seik

Banned
BeautifulMemory said:
Capcom USA says: we are looking out for you dawg, we wanted to make sure we didn't overcharge you, that's why we didn't even bother to put it on a disc

But I like being overcharged!

...As long as its a real, physical copy of the game!

Its sad I know. D:

Another small but annoying addition to RE4 HD are the extra "are you sure" messages here and there, for example if you don't save at the end of a chapter. "All your unsaved progress will be lost!". No, it won't, you dipshit programmer, I'm still playing.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The only slow down I encountered where it was really noticeable was in the beginning of the game where you're on your way to Del Lago and you're in the water section where there's snakes in the water. When you kill a group of Ganados in that area with a grenade, the frame rate takes a hit. The same thing happens when you're in the waterfall area and you grenade them there. That's about it.

burgerdog said:

PS2 version as also missing the lack of true widescreen and color banding. I don't know why they didn't port that over.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't even notice the slowdown. :/

SkylineRKR

I finished the Ps3 version and the only slowdown I noticed was the start of 2-1. This was very akin to MGS2 on Xbox, that slowed down in the rain as well.

I lobbed a nade between about 7 ganados around the campfire later on and no slowdown. Double gigante fights no slowdown as well.

def sim

ULTROS! said:
I don't even notice the slowdown. :/

It seems like a lot of the slowdown complaints were in the original version. The drops weren't noticeable then and still aren't now, unless you look for them. Not like we were complaining about framerate problems in RE4 back in 2005.

SkylineRKR said:
I finished the Ps3 version and the only slowdown I noticed was the start of 2-1. This was very akin to MGS2 on Xbox, that slowed down in the rain as well.

This would explain why some people aren't noticing it, I guess. The drop on the MGS2 port was there, but it was stable. It made it seem like Snake was just running slightly slower in the rain.

If they couldn't even get it running at 30 flat with no AA it is not even worth purchasing to me. I have played the game 10+ times now over the years and this is just kind of a disgrace. Capcom is so ridiculous.

SkylineRKR

MTMBStudios said:
If they couldn't even get it running at 30 flat with no AA it is not even worth purchasing to me. I have played the game 10+ times now over the years and this is just kind of a disgrace. Capcom is so ridiculous.

The current-gen console should do better but this is still the best version I played. I mean Dolphin aside you probably can't get these graphics out of the Wii and GC version on a HDTV.

Its kind of the land of the blind...

C-Jo

I was only planning on playing a little bit today and next thing I knew, I was halfway through the castle. Yeah, this game is still pretty fucking brilliant.

Loving it with the 360 controller, no slowdown noticed whatsoever.

SkylineRKR said:
The current-gen console should do better but this is still the best version I played. I mean Dolphin aside you probably can't get these graphics out of the Wii and GC version on a HDTV.

Its kind of the land of the blind...

It's not just the graphics. The sound distance / fading problem I mentioned earlier is really bugging me. It always sounds like every enemy in the area is right next to you. I also miss the nice shiny effect from the pots. It's exactly like you say, though; when the alternative is 360p...although I did play a fair bit of the Gamecube version doing comparisons this weekend, and it's still a stunner.

cvxfreak said:

I did like the 360 controller better from the 15 minutes I played it. (NA download version)

I still haven't seen anything significant; door blur-outs tend to hitch almost every time, and the save screen, too, but those don't really matter. In-game, I haven't hit anything. At one point I had 7 or 8 dead bugs all dissolving away at once, and I thought there was a little bit, but I'd have needed a framerate counter to be sure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Taking on Pro mode today! What weapons should I be buying and upgrading? Quick answer would be ♥ !

SkylineRKR

Leondexter said:
It's not just the graphics. The sound distance / fading problem I mentioned earlier is really bugging me. It always sounds like every enemy in the area is right next to you. I also miss the nice shiny effect from the pots. It's exactly like you say, though; when the alternative is 360p...although I did play a fair bit of the Gamecube version doing comparisons this weekend, and it's still a stunner.

The lack of DTS/DD sound is shit and also lazy by Capcom, I agree. The game would be even better if I could actually hear enemies running up onto my sides and back.

But wasn't the GC/Wii (Ps2?) limited to Pro Logic as well?

Yoshichan said:
Taking on Pro mode today! What weapons should I be buying and upgrading? Quick answer would be ♥ !

Go with the Red9, Striker, Semi-Auto Rifle, and Broken Butterfly (the free one). I'd grab a Bolt-Action Rifle at the first merchant, but only get capacity upgrades for it and the base Shotgun (for the free rounds). Kill both Dr. Salvadors at the beginning to get a headstart on the economy, and do both paths in 2-3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
and Broken Butterfly (the free one).
This is the third time I've heard about this... how do I get it for free?
Kill both Dr. Salvadors at the beginning to get a headstart on the economy,
Are these the chainsaw guys?
and do both paths in 2-3.
So once I kill the giant troll, I just backtrack and I can go for the Ganados?

THANKS A BUNCH for the help man!

Top Bottom