• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Yoshichan said:
This is the third time I've heard about this... how do I get it for free?

Somewhere just before the hedgemaze, there's a locked door with an open window above it. It's hard to miss. The first time you pass by there, you'll be alone and if you examine the door Leon will say he could get it open if he had help. So next time you hook up with Ashley, just backtrack to that door and hoist her up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yoshichan said:
This is the third time I've heard about this... how do I get it for free?

After you have rescued Ashley for the second time in the Castle (after Luis dies), you have to backtrack to the maze/bedroom area and go to the locked door with the high window.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks! I just got an email that Nin-nin is sending my 15th Anniversary Edition! 3-4 days until it arrives ♥

Time to play, here goes noooooothing

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did Mikami REALLY make the QTE's harder on Professional? This fucking boulder (spam square) is IMPOSSIBLE for me, what the fuck were they thinking?

Yoshichan said:
Are these the chainsaw guys?

So once I kill the giant troll, I just backtrack and I can go for the Ganados?

1. Yep

2. Correct. One of the chainsaw enemies will drop a ruby worth 10,000, and you can also find a purple gem to complete your elegant mask.

RedSwirl

The Xtortionist said:
Go with the Red9, Striker, Semi-Auto Rifle, and Broken Butterfly (the free one). I'd grab a Bolt-Action Rifle at the first merchant, but only get capacity upgrades for it and the base Shotgun (for the free rounds). Kill both Dr. Salvadors at the beginning to get a headstart on the economy, and do both paths in 2-3.

Whoah I didn't know chainsaw guy had a name? And there are TWO at the beginning?! I could barely hold the initial village horde off long enough to kill just one.

I went both paths in 2-3 but I think I kinda fucked that up because I actually bought a rocket launcher for the Gigante there. He was kind of annoying on normal, I was low on ammo, and I still wanted the treasure that was there.

Think I'm at 3-3 now. So far so good, but I've still only found like, two or three red herbs in the entire game up to this point.
2nd Garrador fight is gonna be tough, but I think after that it's smooth sailing till the two-garrador room and Verdugo.

snap0212

RedSwirl said:
Think I'm at 3-3 now.
Quick question: Have you upgraded any weapons at all? I have about 200k in the bank but I'm not sure if I should upgrade my weapons or hope to get better ones later on (I use the Red9 and the standard shotgun most of the time).

Sectus

It's also worth noting that it's very possible to go through pro mode without choosing specific weapons and upgrades, and without doing tricks like doing the el gigante path + backtracking to the ganado path. I personally think it's more fun to improvise as you go along and use weapons you think are fun to use instead of planning it out in detail to be super efficient.

As an example, this was my inventory when doing the final chapter on Pro difficulty:
game2011-09-2614-09-09-98.jpg

That inventory is kinda overkill. And I wasn't even trying to stockpile stuff, it just happened. Actually, as a little minirant, I think this has always been a major balancing problem with all of the RE games. After some hours of play, unless you really suck at the game, you'll end up carrying a ton of weapons and ammo. RE5 probably suffers from this problem the least since you're limited to 9 slots without restarting a checkpoint (then again, it has another HUGE problem that you're always forced to play new game+ after completing it once). Other games like RE4 or the classic ones gives you access to a massive inventory which is never far from your reach.

You know, people always talk about how the water room is the hardest part of the game. And it definitely is on your first playthrough, but do you know what is twenty times worse, for me at least?

That fucking tower that spirals up into an elevator that leads to Salazar. Fuck that. Fuck it so hard. It massacres me every damn time.

snap0212 said:
Quick question: Have you upgraded any weapons at all? I have about 200k in the bank but I'm not sure if I should upgrade my weapons or hope to get better ones later on (I use the Red9 and the standard shotgun most of the time).
I think the Red9 is the best pistol in the game if used with the stock so you should definitely upgrade that. Don't bother upgrading the regular shotgun, the riot gun or the striker are both better choices.

cvxfreak

Yoshichan said:
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did Mikami REALLY make the QTE's harder on Professional? This fucking boulder (spam square) is IMPOSSIBLE for me, what the fuck were they thinking?

I know this was the case in RE5, but I don't remember it in RE4...

The Mana Legend said:
That fucking tower that spirals up into an elevator that leads to Salazar. Fuck that. Fuck it so hard. It massacres me every damn time.

The part where the 8 million red monks are dropping into the elevator is so much fun

RedSwirl

snap0212 said:

Not until I get the final version of that weapon. Start upgrading the Red9. There are two rifles and three shotguns. Where are you?

Sectus said:
It's also worth noting that it's very possible to go through pro mode without choosing specific weapons and upgrades, and without doing tricks like doing the el gigante path + backtracking to the ganado path. I personally think it's more fun to improvise as you go along and use weapons you think are fun to use instead of planning it out in detail to be super efficient.

As an example, this was my inventory when doing the final chapter on Pro difficulty:
game2011-09-2614-09-09-98.jpg

That inventory is kinda overkill. And I wasn't even trying to stockpile stuff, it just happened. Actually, as a little minirant, I think this has always been a major balancing problem with all of the RE games. After some hours of play, unless you really suck at the game, you'll end up carrying a ton of weapons and ammo. RE5 probably suffers from this problem the least since you're limited to 9 slots without restarting a checkpoint (then again, it has another HUGE problem that you're always forced to play new game+ after completing it once). Other games like RE4 or the classic ones gives you access to a massive inventory which is never far from your reach.

The fuck? I usually try to conserve and I still had basically no ammo during the final chapter on my first Pro run back on the GCN. I had to run from all enemies and knife Sadler to death.

Of course, that might be because I stupidly tried to kill the Verdugo without a rocket launcher and I didn't know how effective the knife was against Krauser. The latter is what really depleted all my resources for the remainder of the game.

The Mana Legend said:
You know, people always talk about how the water room is the hardest part of the game. And it definitely is on your first playthrough, but do you know what is twenty times worse, for me at least?

That was never extremely hard for me. Maybe on the first time through but after that it's always been fairly easy. I always end up just buying a rocket launcher for Salazar though.

ULTROS! said:
Since CVX is coming out this week, anyone picking it up? :p
yep. i have it on Revival Selection for PS3, but since it's the one RE game i don't know that well, i know i shouldn't really play it without being able to read all the text and so on.

so i'll be getting the downloadable version for the 360. hoping it's not got the weird overly soft look the PS3 version has, but i'll stomach it even if it does.

So I'm thinking about getting CVX this week, but I hear that the game can screw you over during character swaps by leaving you unprepared.

Can someone kindly list when these switches happen?
Thanks.

Davey Cakes

rance said:
It seems like a lot of the slowdown complaints were in the original version. The drops weren't noticeable then and still aren't now, unless you look for them. Not like we were complaining about framerate problems in RE4 back in 2005.

This would explain why some people aren't noticing it, I guess. The drop on the MGS2 port was there, but it was stable. It made it seem like Snake was just running slightly slower in the rain.
I'm pretty sure the slowdown is fixable, though. For example, I can remember one point in RE4 that always had slowdown in the GC version: the Salazar statue QTE. But when I played the Wii version this slowdown never happened.

I'm sure the game could've been optimized for newer hardware. People keep sweeping these imperfections under the rug.

Yoshichan

cvxfreak said:
I know this was the case in RE5, but I don't remember it in RE4...
It's definitely in RE4... that boulder was near impossible for me (and I just beat normal mode so I can compare it).

Sectus

RedSwirl said:
The fuck? I usually try to conserve and I still had basically no ammo during the final chapter on my first Pro run back on the GCN. I had to run from all enemies and knife Sadler to death.

Of course, that might be because I stupidly tried to kill the Verdugo without a rocket launcher and I didn't know how effective the knife was against Krauser. The latter is what really depleted all my resources for the remainder of the game.
I've actually never used the knife against krauser. That it's super powerful against him was new to me. Which boss is Verdugo again? I think the only boss I used a rocket against is the midget guy (I'm so bad at remembering names in RE4).

Maybe I am actually saving a bunch of ammo by using the bolt action rifle. Once you upgrade its power to max, it's basically a magnum just with ammo far easier to find.

Sectus said:
I've actually never used the knife against krauser. That it's super powerful against him was new to me. Which boss is Verdugo again? I think the only boss I used a rocket against is the midget guy (I'm so bad at remembering names in RE4).

Maybe I am actually saving a bunch of ammo by using the bolt action rifle. Once you upgrade its power to max, it's basically a magnum just with ammo far easier to find.
verdugo is the one you fight while waiting for the elevator, with the nitrogen tanks.

Curufinwe

Rash said:
I'm sure the game could've been optimized for newer hardware. People keep sweeping these imperfections under the rug.

Or they played it on the 360 and didn't have any slowdown outside of U3 dissolving. Hard to complain about something you didn't experience.

SkylineRKR said:
The lack of DTS/DD sound is shit and also lazy by Capcom, I agree. The game would be even better if I could actually hear enemies running up onto my sides and back.

But wasn't the GC/Wii (Ps2?) limited to Pro Logic as well?

Yes, but there's nothing wrong with Pro Logic, it does positional sound just fine. I actually run Pro Logic most of the time on all games, so I can capture if I want to (can't capture digital sound). I don't think the problem is with that. I think the port is the problem - the in-game positional sound isn't working right, so what it's sending out to the receiver is wrong.

so I arrived at the castle and and have both the Beerstein and the Elegant Mask fully upgraded with the stones. Is there a reason NOT to sell them now? Will I get extra stuff later in the game if I keep them, or other treasure items? I played the game 5 years ago but I can't remember what I did back then...

Rash said:

I think they've been discussed quite a bit, but what are we to do exactly? The resolution bump is a huge upgrade. Despite the fact the Capcom was disgustingly cheap and clearly put the bare minimum of effort into this port, the resolution alone makes this a strong contender for best version of the game.

It's sad but true.

AkimbO_Arcana said:
so I arrived at the castle and and have both the Beerstein and the Elegant Mask fully upgraded with the stones. Is there a reason NOT to sell them now? Will I get extra stuff later in the game if I keep them, or other treasure items? I played the game 5 years ago but I can't remember what I did back then...

Once you fill 'em, sell 'em. :)

The Lamonster said:
And it's fine to sell the Spinels right away, correct?

Correct.

From memory, if you check out an item you'll be able to see if it can be combined with something. If you can't, sell away. If you can, keep until you've filled it.

Curufinwe said:
Or they played it on the 360 and didn't have any slowdown outside of U3 dissolving. Hard to complain about something you didn't experience.
The problem is that like 3/4th of the people who play console games are not very framerate sensitive. The game could be running at like 20fps and a lot of people won't even be able to tell the difference. So hearing "PLAYING 360 VERSION, ZERO SLOWDOWN AT ALL" is not very helpful, because those same people would probably say that if they played the PS3 ver too. If we could get some like video proof comparison of the 360 and PS3 framerates that would be great.

Curufinwe said:

I noticed some bizarre slowdown in the place where
you get the spiral thing to enter the church

Oh man, I can't wait to delve back into RE4. I've probably beaten it close to 15 times for the Gamecube. All I need is my Red9, and I'm gold. Best gun in all of gaming. Crushed me it wasn't in 5

RedSwirl said:
That was never extremely hard for me. Maybe on the first time through but after that it's always been fairly easy. I always end up just buying a rocket launcher for Salazar though.

For some reason, having just done this on Pro Mode, it was extremely easy. I have no idea why. I always struggled at this point before, and having beaten this game on Normal 10+ times, it was ALWAYS the part that massacred me (unless I had Infinite Rocket Launcher). Yet, despite this being my first Pro playthrough, I had no troubles at all.

so basically....

-don't spend any money on pistol upgrades, buy Red9 as soon as it's available, and upgrade it and get stock asap?
-stick with regular shotgun if i *have* to have one?
-get the semi-auto rifle. but should i even bother with regular rifle in the meantime?
-broken butterfly for first play through, and killer7 for second playthrough?

when i played this on PS2 i think i wasted a lot of cash on upgrades for the lower tier weapons. :x

RedSwirl

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
so basically....

-don't spend any money on pistol upgrades, buy Red9 as soon as it's available, and upgrade it and get stock asap?
-get the semi-auto rifle. but should i even bother with regular rifle in the meantime?

when i played this on PS2 i think i wasted a lot of cash on upgrades for the lower tier weapons. :x
I'd say go ahead and get the regular rifle and scope, but don't bother upgrading it.

Curufinwe

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
so basically....

You will definitely need a shotgun, but it's fine to stick with the regular shotty until you get the Striker.

There is a ton of money in this version so even though I did "waste" some money by upgrading the shotgun before buying the riot gun and not getting the BB for free, I still had enough to get the exclusive upgrade for the Red 9, buy the Killer 7 and upgrade the hell out of all my other weapons. Including the Mine Launcher which was always a luxury I didn't want to spend money on in the GC version.

Rolf NB

OMG I'm hopeless with these controls. I tried this immediately after I had played a good session of Resistance 3 and doing everything with the left stick is mindfuck central. I mean yeah, I did play this when it came out on Gamecube, so I know it's possible. It's just hard switching back from something that is now so common and universal.

Lack of Move support is a total failure. I have the Wii version, but I still prefer to replay it in HD.

blackflag

Rolf NB said:
OMG I'm hopeless with these controls. I tried this immediately after I had played a good session of Resistance 3 and doing everything with the left stick is mindfuck central. I mean yeah, I did play this when it came out on Gamecube, so I know it's possible. It's just hard switching back from something that is now so common and universal.

Lack of Move support is a total failure. I have the Wii version, but I still prefer to replay it in HD.

YES! I started this right after playing some Gears 3 last night..I died to the first dudes in the game when you get out of the car. I kept trying to aim with the right stick and kept forgetting the button layout. Going to be hard to get used to. Never played it before though so I'll push through until I get used to it.

K' Dash

Sectus said:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/game2011-09-2614-09-09-98.jpg

Dude, that's the Wii version, of course you have a ton of ammo, you can headshot EVERYTHING with the wiimote.

RedSwirl

blackflag said:
YES! I started this right after playing some Gears 3 last night..I died to the first dudes in the game when you get out of the car. I kept trying to aim with the right stick and kept forgetting the button layout. Going to be hard to get used to. Never played it before though so I'll push through until I get used to it.

Didn't have this problem. Played this game immediately after finishing Gears 3 and had no trouble adjusting.

I think I'm just able to separate this game from other shooters in my mind though. The way guns and enemies are handled are just fundamentally different.

cool, thanks for the tips.

i enjoied the feel of the rifle + scope on PS2 so glad to know i can mess around with it a bit before getting the semi auto.

i DO. NOT. look forward to fighting that monster that hunts me down again. took me 8 tries the first time.

I noticed only one slowdown, during the first El Gigante fight when he smashed two of the cabins with one hit.

It was a heavy one like 3 fps for two seconds but at least the only one so far...

EDIT: Oh, PS3 slim as well at chapter 3-1.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got slowdown when I used the Chicago Typewriter at 1-2. It was pretty noticeable though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
corrosivefrost said:
So we think there's a performance difference between PS3 slim and fat?

I think it's more likely that some people notice it more than others, or that some people experience a confluence of events that cause slowdown and others don't. But we can start tallying slims and fats and see what happens.

I have a slim and noticed light slowdown at the waterworks, and had some heavy slowdown for a couple seconds in a big fight where I got cornered and someone blew fire on me. I had zero slowdown (at least that I noticed) during the cabin fight. It must have something to do with effects like water and fire and not simply the number of enemies on screen.

master15

Just completed Seperate Ways (Never played this before). And for add-on I had quite a bit of run.

I saw a comment made earlier in this thread that maybe a RE 4 vet could qualify. The zombies in Seperate Way seem a lot more aggresive (A lot more full charges) and cramping your space. Is there an increase bump in difficulty in this?

Top Bottom