• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

It's so good to play this again. I've not played it since 2005, so I wasn't sure about getting it; felt I might just get the same fatigue I get when I play most games again.

Nope. Still fuckawesome.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
plagiarize said:
did we determine if the HD version uses the Gamecube economy yet?
It seems like the new economy to me.

greenjerk said:
Weird, I'm on 3-3 and have had zero slow-down. I'm running a slim ps3...
I'm on a slim and there was -very- noticable slowdown in 2-1. Mainly in the very beginning in the area by the lake, then again overlooking the waterfall area. Other than that it's been pretty solid. The slowdown you get from blasting or grenading a huge group of enemies is a non-issue.

K' Dash said:
Uh, yeah, sorry, but don't you point with the mouse anyway?
Nope. Keyboard/gamepad only. There is an unofficial mouse mod, but its just emulating an analog stick and it's horrible.

Curufinwe

master15 said:
Just completed Seperate Ways (Never played this before). And for add-on I had quite a bit of run.

I saw a comment made earlier in this thread that maybe a RE 4 vet could qualify. The zombies in Seperate Way seem a lot more aggresive (A lot more full charges) and cramping your space. Is there an increase bump in difficulty in this?

I'm going to start SW tonight, so I'll see how I go and report back.

I managed to fit in 20 minutes of Mercs this morning, just long enough to 5-star the village with Leon on my third attempt. I wasn't even upset to finally see him get his head cut off for the first time in HD. But I'll say this again, the lack of online leaderboards for this mode is the worst thing about RE 4 HD.

MarshMellow96 said:
Nope. Still fuckawesome.

Same here. I'm not sure what this tells me about gaming in 2011 but so far the best expereinces that I got in 2011 were all remakes.

I enjoyed a few new releases like LA Noire, Killzone 3, LBP2 and I'm still looking forward to BF3 and Deus Ex.

But Zelda OoT (13 yo) and RE4 (6 yo and still the king) did kill everything by a mile.
lol and I'm super excited to play ICO collection and MGS collection later on. Is it me and nostalgia goggles or are these games just that good?

def sim

Dan Yo said:
So they added achievements to RE4? Any other XBL features?

Apart from 2 achievements, they are all easily received by simply playing through the game. There are also leaderboards and that's about it for XBL extras.

Sectus

K' Dash said:
Uh, yeah, sorry, but don't you point with the mouse anyway?
PC version doesn't support the mouse (it's a VERY sloppy direct port of the PS2 version. it didn't even have proper lighting until Capcom patched it in). I've never played RE4 with anything else but a PS2 controller.

AkimbO_Arcana said:
Same here. I'm not sure what this tells me about gaming in 2011 but so far the best expereinces that I got in 2011 were all remakes.

I enjoyed a few new releases like LA Noire, Killzone 3, LBP2 and I'm still looking forward to BF3 and Deus Ex.

But Zelda OoT (13 yo) and RE4 (6 yo and still the king) did kill everything by a mile.
lol and I'm super excited to play ICO collection and MGS collection later on. Is it me and nostalgia goggles or are these games just that good?
those games specifically are just that good. we're talking about two of the best reviewed games ever... any given year is going to struggle to put out something on par with them. gameplay wise neither has really dated yet.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I think it's more likely that some people notice it more than others, or that some people experience a confluence of events that cause slowdown and others don't. But we can start tallying slims and fats and see what happens.

I have a slim and noticed light slowdown at the waterworks, and had some heavy slowdown for a couple seconds in a big fight where I got cornered and someone blew fire on me. I had zero slowdown (at least that I noticed) during the cabin fight. It must have something to do with effects like water and fire and not simply the number of enemies on screen.

I haven't gotten very far yet myself, but my friend just had his fat die and replaced it with a slim last weekend (just before RE4 HD released). I asked him after seeing all the woes in this thread and here's what he had to offer:

"just finished the main game, separate ways and assignment ada... there were two instances of slow down in the main campaign and separate ways uses prerendered SD cutscenes"

This game seems easier than I remember.

I always loathed the part where you use the cannon to get into the castle because of those damn catapults, until I realised you can just shoot the barrels next to them with a pistol. I also remembered there were more enemies running after you at that part.

And then there is the part where you control Ashley, which was always the scariest bit of the game for me because you felt so vulnerable. I thought you couldn't kill the monks, only slow them down, but there are actually more than enough throwing lamps to finish the job, and a shortcut I previously missed too to completely bypass the first one.

hertog

Maybe I'm crazy or getting old (I think both).

I'm playing an easy walkthrough and it seems I'm skipping the hedge maze entirely??
wtf?

Oh I just realised... REC:VX is going to be the same price as RE4? That game is 11 years old! Go away, Capcom.

Luckily, I still have my Dreamcast version!

Phonomezer said:
Oh I just realised... REC:VX is going to be the same price as RE4? That game is 11 years old! Go away, Capcom.

It could be a lot worse.

$20 isn't that bad compared to ebay prices. plus it's actually had a decent amount of work put into it from the looks of it. more than the Ubisoft HD releases, and more than RE4 had.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Way more effort went into CVX than RE4 though.

Anything besides the lighting? I don't know too much about the port, I'll have a look around.

plagiarize said:
It could be a lot worse.

$20 isn't that bad compared to ebay prices. plus it's actually had a decent amount of work put into it from the looks of it. more than the Ubisoft HD releases, and more than RE4 had.

It's $30 here ($30USD) for some unknown reason, we're paying $10 more for... nothing.

Didn't realise the game was fetching that much on ebay though, wow.

Dan Yo

Banned
Phonomezer said:

Ya. If they were bundling them both together at 20 then I'd probably jump in. They're not doing a disc release of this, right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I currently have 8 versions of CV... I think another copy of it (digital at that) won't hurt me :lol

C-Jo

hertog said:

I'm playing an easy walkthrough and it seems I'm skipping the hedge maze entirely??
wtf?
If I remember correctly, you totally skip the hedge maze on easy.

TUROK

I want to take the plunge on RE4 HD now, but the stupid Microsoft points system is preventing me from doing so. I have 580 points, meaning I need 1020 more to be able to buy it, but since I can't buy in those increments, I'd have to just take the plunge on the full 1600. Ugh, MS points are such a scam.

C-Jo

TUROK said:
I want to take the plunge on RE4 HD now, but the stupid Microsoft points system is preventing me from doing so. I have 580 points, meaning I need 1020 more to be able to buy it, but since I can't buy in those increments, I'd have to just take the plunge on the full 1600. Ugh, MS points are such a scam.
It's Games on Demand. You can pay $20 real Earth dollars for it.

TUROK said:
you can press X (or something) and buy it in monies. obviously you still have to spend $20 to buy it though.

enough chit chat. president's daughter has been kidnapped.

IT'S UP TO US.

hertog said:

wtf?
How do you change difficulty? The game just started me on normal.

Phonomezer said:
Anything besides the lighting? I don't know too much about the port, I'll have a look around.

Just the new lighting, and it's now widescreen, but those alone take big shits on the original. RE4 was just the same game in HD, CVX looks like a brand new game in places:

EDyIF.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The Lamonster said:
Hmm, you can definitely change the difficulty. What version are you playing?

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just the new lighting, and it's now widescreen, but those alone take big shits on the original. RE4 was just the same game in HD, CVX looks like a brand new game in places:

i just wish it wasn't so soft. it looks so good otherwise.

Curufinwe

The Lamonster said:

I'm still not sure about this, but apparently the European version of RE 4 HD has an Easy mode.

The American 360 version doesn't. Selecting New Game just starts you playing on Normal.

TUROK

C-Jo said:
It's Games on Demand. You can pay $20 real Earth dollars for it.
Yeah, I knows, but since I have MS points that I'm not going to use, I want to spend them. Le sigh, I'm just gonna spend the real monies on it.

Curufinwe said:
I'm still not sure about this, but apparently the European version of RE 4 HD has an Easy mode.

The American 360 version doesn't. Selecting New Game just starts you playing on Normal.
JP version has Easy mode too.

C-Jo

hertog said:
that sucks, teaches me thing or two about playing on easy :(

Any other changes?
I can't remember exactly, but I know that a bunch of doors are locked/blocked off and you start with the shotgun.

K' Dash

Sectus said:
PC version doesn't support the mouse (it's a VERY sloppy direct port of the PS2 version. it didn't even have proper lighting until Capcom patched it in). I've never played RE4 with anything else but a PS2 controller.

Holy shit, that is fucking horrible!

TUROK said:
Yeah, I knows, but since I have MS points that I'm not going to use, I want to spend them. Le sigh, I'm just gonna spend the real monies on it.

Why don't you buy 1200 points or whatever is closest through xbox.com? They do 400 and 800 point increments.

TUROK

corrosivefrost said:
Why don't you buy 1200 points or whatever is closest through xbox.com? They do 400 and 800 point increments.
... ... ... I feel incredibly stupid now. Thank you, though. :)

I NEED SCISSORS said:

http://i.imgur.com/EDyIF.gif

That looks like a pretty big improvement with the lighting and widescreen. Much better, I just hope it's consistent across the game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Phonomezer said:
That looks like a pretty big improvement with the lighting and widescreen. Much better, I just hope it's consistent across the game.
It gets even better as the game progresses. The initial areas are incredibly dark, but the environment variety later on looks really impressive with the lighting/color grading.

jyoung188

Its been a few years since I beat re4 and it's probably not a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway
I'm at the save point near the end of the castle, at the 3rd shooting gallery, and I have all three gems (green, red, and purple). I already found one elegant mask and put all three gems in it and sold it, is there another one that I haven't found or am I ok to sell these gems? And do treasures carry over in ng+ if you don't sell them?
Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before.

Yeah, I think I'm going to pick up CVX when it comes out.

I never got a chance to play it when I was a kid. Never had a DC and I never could find a PS2 copy.

Zeona

Neo Member
jyoung188 said:
Its been a few years since I beat re4 and it's probably not a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway
I'm at the save point near the end of the castle, at the 3rd shooting gallery, and I have all three gems (green, red, and purple). I already found one elegant mask and put all three gems in it and sold it, is there another one that I haven't found or am I ok to sell these gems? And do treasures carry over in ng+ if you don't sell them?
Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before.

You missed one of the two masks, but as long as you replay on the same difficulty the treasures do carry over.

RedSwirl

SketchTheArtist said:
Rocket Launcher. Thank you and good night. ;)
For some reason no matter how many times I tried, the rocket launcher only kills one of them on pro mode, even if it hits pixel perfect between them.

Anyway, just killed Salazar on pro mode. The next part I'm really dreading is the double Iron maiden part and the room right after. Those were a pain even on normal. Then there's the part when Ashley's driving the bulldozer and you have to get off to flip a switch. Has anyone checked to see if the number of enemies at that part is finite? If so I could just stay in the back and defend Ashley until they're all gone.

i'm looking forwards to my Pro run, and i'm not even halfway done with my normal run. such a good game. nothing quite like being left with hardly any resources and having to improvise.

Top Bottom