• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

A friendly warning for RE4 newcomers:

JiyIk.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
^^^ To put it in non-demotivational poster terms, don't use a handgun against enemies with chainsaws. Use something that knocks them down or you will die and shit your pants.

There is a shotgun in the area where this enemy is introduced. Find it and profit!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If anyone cares... I'd love everyone to know that I'm still F5'ing PlayAsia, AmiAmi and NCSX every 20 minutes in hopes of seeing the 15th Anniversary Box in stock...

Boney

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
^^^ To put it in non-demotivational poster terms, don't use a handgun against enemies with chainsaws. Use something that knocks them down or you will die and shit your pants.

There is a shotgun in the area where this enemy is introduced. Find it and profit!
First time playing. I dealt with only the handgun. Boy was it a pain in the ass. And I sucked, I could hardly aim and didn't know about melee's. Heck I even had to restart because I wasn't breaking the boxes for ammo before the village.

The most bullshit part is that if you climb the bell tower, bitches throw molotov cocktails at you.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Boney said:
First time playing. I dealt with only the handgun. Boy was it a pain in the ass. And I sucked, I could hardly aim and didn't know about melee's. Heck I even had to restart because I wasn't breaking the boxes for ammo before the village.

The most bullshit part is that if you climb the bell tower, bitches throw molotov cocktails at you.

You gotta break every box! All boxes must die!

I didn't even know they throw molotovs if you go up the tower. That's pretty funny.

Melees are super important if you want to have way too much ammo all the time. Which I do. Headshot, face-kick, then knife them on the ground if it's safe to do so.

Boney

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
You gotta break every box! All boxes must die!

I didn't even know they throw molotovs if you go up the tower. That's pretty funny.

Melees are super important if you want to have way too much ammo all the time. Which I do. Headshot, face-kick, then knife them on the ground if it's safe to do so.
Yeah, don't worry I'm pretty good at the game now, must've beat it around 20 times and can do great scores on Mercenaries, that was way back then in 2005.

Couldn't find a video but there's this at least

In Resident Evil 4, if the player stays for too long in the tower in the Pueblo, the Villagers will be unable to reach Leon, but they will throw molotov cocktails if Leon stays there for too long.

Malajax

As someone who only played a bit of RE4, would Code Veronica be a good starting point for getting into the series? Or should I just hunt down REmake and start from there?

StuBurns

Banned
Malajax said:
As someone who only played a bit of RE4, would Code Veronica be a good starting point for getting into the series? Or should I just hunt down REmake and start from there?
Unless you're going to play thru 2 before CV, I don't think there's much reason to play REmake first. Despite the name, CV is pretty much the sequel to 2.

Malajax said:

Whatever you do, work Resident Evil 2 in there.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Malajax said:

Regarding gameplay, they're vastly different. I'd say go for RE1-RE3 then REC:VX. RE1-RE3 are available on the PSN anyway.

Boney

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Regarding gameplay, they're vastly different. I'd say go for RE1-RE3 then REC:VX. RE1-RE3 are available on the PSN anyway.
1 is also available on DS if you're inclined, and Remake is another option, which has the rerelease on Wii.

Think the important ones are Remake, 2 and 4. Then work your way down.

Nemesis_

Does anyone know if the PS3 version on-disc will actually work in English, at all?

Just interested to know, considering buying this for a mate but I know he doesn't have much tolerance for Japanese?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nemesis556 said:
Does anyone know if the PS3 version on-disc will actually work in English, at all?

Just interested to know, considering buying this for a mate but I know he doesn't have much tolerance for Japanese?

If you get the JP retail version, it will have English voices but Japanese text. Unless he doesn't care about reading (or he memorized what do already), he won't have a problem.

Also, for those who will get the retail version, it will be highly appreciated if you put your impressions/reviews and if the games will have a platinum trophy. :)

madmook

I have not read anything about this, but I hope for RE4 they add a couple control configurations from RE5 as well as the aiming speed option. I played a bit of RE4 ps2 while playing RE5, and it is a mindblast when I switch from one to the other.

Nemesis556 said:

im 100% sure there will not be english text in the japanese version. for the hong kong version the posibility is very slim, as previous japanese based hongkong ports didnt have english text

RedSwirl

StuBurns said:
Unless you're going to play thru 2 before CV, I don't think there's much reason to play REmake first. Despite the name, CV is pretty much the sequel to 2.

brandonh83 said:
Whatever you do, work Resident Evil 2 in there.

I still haven't played 2 and I had little trouble understanding the story. Still, I plan to play 2 as soon as I can find a Dremacast copy (is the Gamecube version identical)?

In that respect though, would you call 5 the sequel to 1?

ULTROS!

Superior PS+ members get 50% from RECVX and RE4, totaling to $9.99 each.

That I'm already getting anxious about which system I'm purchasing these on is pretty pathetic. I don't really care about achievements, but they're still almost always a factor in deciding.

XLant

Neo Member
Yoshichan said:
If anyone cares... I'd love everyone to know that I'm still F5'ing PlayAsia, AmiAmi and NCSX every 20 minutes in hopes of seeing the 15th Anniversary Box in stock...
If I've learned one thing from life, it's that you won't get anything by giving up on it. Have you tried ebay?

Malajax said:
As someone who only played a bit of RE4, would Code Veronica be a good starting point for getting into the series?
NO - for several reasons. I recommend going chronologically, from RE(Gamecube)--RE2--then CV. Add in RE3 if you aren't put off by any gameplay differences yet, as 4 was the one that shook things up, for better or worse. I'd stay away from everything else unless you find yourself really getting into the series.

atre324

XLant said:
If I've learned one thing from life, it's that you won't get anything by giving up on it. Have you tried ebay?

NO - for several reasons. I recommend going chronologically, from RE(Gamecube)--RE2--then CV. Add in RE3 if you aren't put off by any gameplay differences yet, as 4 was the one that shook things up, for better or worse. I'd stay away from everything else unless you find yourself really getting into the series.

I would agree with Chronologically (more or less), I just finished playing all the pre-RE4 RE games for the first time myself just a week or two ago.

REmake is definitely the best one and if any game will get you hooked, it's that one, even if going from REmake -> RE2 is a little bit of a jump backwards in terms of graphics. At least RE2 is interesting enough to keep you playing.

I would probably play RE3 after RECV, I played RE3 -> RECV and losing the dodge move was kinda tough.

You can stick in RE0 anywhere (although I'd definitely play it after RE1), the graphics are nice and it has some of the REmakes gameplay refinements but the lack of an item box is infuriating.

Make sure you play Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles afterward too (I guess before you play RE4?), they're good games and they clear a lot of things up, and they're a nice prequel to the events of RE4.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I wouldn't mind REmake and RE0 becoming downloadable in the future, but I'll take what Capcom's giving, especially at the half-price sale PSPlus users get.

RedSwirl

Is there any reason why I should NOT buy RE4 on the 360? A part of me would rather play it on the 360 controller.

T-Matt

RedSwirl said:
I still haven't played 2 and I had little trouble understanding the story. Still, I plan to play 2 as soon as I can find a Dremacast copy (is the Gamecube version identical)?

In that respect though, would you call 5 the sequel to 1?
I'm pretty sure the Gamcecube version is identical or slightly better than the Dreamcast one, but someone else would know better than I.

RedSwirl

T-Matt said:
I'm pretty sure the Gamcecube version is identical or slightly better than the Dreamcast one, but someone else would know better than I.

Okay so apparently these are the details on the versions of RE2:

randomwab said:
Gamecube version doesn't have the model, art and movie viewer. Doesn't have the additonal difficulty modes and such either.

As far as I know, it goes like this.

PSX: Original Version, the Greatest Hits adds the Extreme Battle mode
N64: EX-Files, Third and First person controls and item randomiser. These are only available in this version. The graphics in this version are arguably the worst, but it's a miracle they even got this onto a cart. The music is better quality, however. Doesn't have the Extreme Battle mode, though.
PC/Dreamcast: Both of these are the same version. Has the Extreme Battle minigame, as well as additional difficulties, cleaner graphics and 60fps gameplay. The cutscenes are also higher quality than the PSX. Dreamcast has VMU support for ammo count and health.
Gamecube: Straight port of the PSX Greatest Hits. Only thing different about this version is slightly cleaner character models (no different than the PC/Dreamcast, though) and about the same quality cutscenes as the Dreamcast.
PC Rerelease: Same as the original PC release, with the exception of DVD quality cutscenes.

I think that's everything.

Quck price check reveals I'd be paying between $20 and $50 for the Dreamcast version though.

randomwab

RedSwirl said:
Okay so apparently these are the details on the versions of RE2:

Quck price check reveals I'd be paying between $20 and $50 for the Dreamcast version though.

Woah, an old me post. I personally think the Dreamcast version is the best, but if price is an issue, go with either the Cube or PSX original. The PC does have all the extras, but it's sort of an annoyance to get running now, if I'm not mistaken.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
madmook said:
I have not read anything about this, but I hope for RE4 they add a couple control configurations from RE5 as well as the aiming speed option. I played a bit of RE4 ps2 while playing RE5, and it is a mindblast when I switch from one to the other.

I hope they don't add an aiming speed option. Aiming speed was actually gun dependent in RE4, and was one reason why the Wii version felt like cheating.

I may end up importing because I don't have the space on my PS3 for full games, and I'd rather own a physical copy anyway.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

The ladder helps too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wario64 said:
RE4 + CV without PS+ = $40

:lol Oh, Capcom. I'll just stick with Dolphin and emulating the Gamecube and Waggle versions.

GuardianE said:
I hope they don't add an aiming speed option. Aiming speed was actually gun dependent in RE4, and was one reason why the Wii version felt like cheating.

yep

I know alot of people swear by RE4Wii, but I just couldn't get into it. Minute I heard about this release, sold off my old copy of it.

CODE:Veronica infos and changes (courtesy of cvxfreak and previous footage):

• based on CODE:Veronica X
  • game was changed to run on Capcom's MT Framework engine: addition of dynamic lighting and shadows, distortion filter
  • it uses the PlayStation 2 version's attract movie (here's the original Dreamcast one, and here's the one for CODE:Veronica X on Dreamcast and GameCube)
  • title screen of the Japanese version uses the old Biohazard title calling voice from the Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 versions, whereas the North American and PAL versions use the new Resident Evil title calling voice from the Nintendo GameCube version
  • the FMVs are upscaled from the original 320x160 resolution, it is unknown if they are the PS2/DC or the GCN ones (GCN ones had no compression artifacts)
  • high-resolution fonts
  • the status screens use portraits from the CG renders (here's Claire's) as opposed to the original "mugshots"
  • the characters in the pre-rendered images (title and ranking screens) were updated to look better
  • in 16:9 as opposed to the original's 4:3, it is unknown if status and option screens are stretched

Horrible and hard to understand move with the FMVs. They included higher-quality ones with the PC DVD versions of RE2 and RE3, so I'm sure they still have all the assets. Here are some comparison shots of the FMVs. The original resolution is shown in the top-left corner.

jsrxL.png

RmU3G.png

KzZFC.png

9MoGR.jpg

CgYE6.png

6VURI.jpg

07xch.png

ULTROS!

Curufinwe said:
I sure hope not, cause I'll be getting in on the 360.

The only reason to buy it on PSN is that's it's slightly cheaper if you buy both (PS+ + RE4 + RECVX = $38 as compared to the regular $40). If you have PS+, they'll be $20 ($10 ea).

Ellis Kim

Banned
Man, that is some painful upscale CG.

Is there any HD footage up online yet?

I still don't understand how/why there's no Move implementation.

ULTROS!

If you're there cvxfreak, does CVX and RE4 have platinums?

Curufinwe

ULTROS! said:
The only reason to buy it on PSN is that's it's slightly cheaper if you buy both (PS+ + RE4 + RECVX = $38 as compared to the regular $40). If you have PS+, they'll be $20 ($10 ea).

I have 3500 MS Points ready to spend, so it's 360 for me unless there's something wrong with it.

Top Bottom