• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I wish I could ♥ all of you too... but that won't be the case until I investigate and find proof about that frikkin' boulder! I swear, I'm gonna dream about boulders coming at me tonight. That's what I normally do when I'm panicking anyway, so why not tonight?

Risible

Yoshichan said:
I'm about to kill something or someone right this instance. I'm literally sweating my ass of here, proving something and being the minority sucks ass... fuck this, I need to take a breather.

I am old and slow, and I had no trouble with the pro boulders. I don't doubt you had problems, but I'm guessing you were just having a bad night.

It's like TF2 - some days I'm decent, other days I'm the noobiest of noobs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ULTROS! said:
Try asking someone to press the L1 and R1 buttons for you while you do the square button mashing. :p
Yoshichan said:
I died 7 times. And ONLY because I didn't mash fast enough - it had nothing to do with the actual dodging in the last phase.
I had a hard time even reaching the last phase of the boulder!!
Risible said:
but I'm guessing you were just having a bad night.
:/

burgerdog said:
No boulders to run from in cvx!

No best game of all time awards for cvx!
hfzNt.png

I'm on a roll tonight!

Yoshichan

Risible said:
In your defense google does show a lot of hits for people having trouble with the boulder on pro back in the day.
Exactly! I swear I'm playing some super rare version of this digital version. Every 1000 downloads, this "lucky" person gets the RE4: Pro-boulder-edition

burgerdog

Yoshichan said:
Exactly! I swear I'm playing some super rare version of this digital version. Every 1000 downloads, this "lucky" person gets the RE4: Pro-boulder-edition

You could always hire Chris so he could punch the hell out of it for you.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Syphon Filter said:
What are the chances RE 1-3 come to 360?

Low?

RE1 and 3 are PSone/Saturn games, not to mention they're not really pretty anymore (CVX is much more prettier, but definitely not on par with RE4). REmake is pretty much exclusive to GC/Wii.

Plus they use pre-rendered backgrounds, so HD-fying it won't make it any better unless they pull off a Sonic Adventures PSN/XBLA.

So has anyone done an in depth comparison graphically between the hd version and the gamecube version yet? Something like what Digital Foundry does?

Yoshichan said:

Throw some money at the problem - get an auto-fire controller. Or you can hire me - I can mash a button faster than anyone I've ever seen.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yoshichan said:
I wish I could ♥ all of you too... but that won't be the case until I investigate and find proof about that frikkin' boulder! I swear, I'm gonna dream about boulders coming at me tonight. That's what I normally do when I'm panicking anyway, so why not tonight?
Try punching it.

edit: aw, beaten

Yoshichan

Oh you guys ♥ Starting to like you all. Kind of.

ULTROS! said:
Low?

RE1 and 3 are PSone/Saturn games, not to mention they're not really pretty anymore (CVX is much more prettier, but definitely not on par with RE4). REmake is pretty much exclusive to GC/Wii.

Plus they use pre-rendered backgrounds, so HD-fying it won't make it any better unless they pull off a Sonic Adventures PSN/XBLA.
What is your point on it bing Saturn/ps game?it can still come to other platforms.also banjo is on 360 and the graphics are similar to RE in terms of age.

burgerdog

Syphon Filter said:
What is your point on it bing Saturn/ps game?it can still come to other platforms.also banjo is on 360 and the graphics are similar to RE in terms of age.

Banjo does not use pre-rendered backgrounds. That's the difference, a huge one, as a matter of fact.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Syphon Filter said:

Well... What other PSone games have been ported to HD consoles asides Banjo/Perfect Dark (Microsoft owned games which were only available on the N64 only) and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (a 2D game with a few 3D elements)? :p

Yoshichan

Syphon Filter said:
Why can't a pre rendered game be on xbox 360?
Fully stretched pre-rendered pictures would look truly garbage on a big screen :/

ULTROS!

Syphon Filter said:
Why can't a pre rendered game be on xbox 360?

It will look like this:

VideoGameCarnage-ResidentEvil3NemesisHardPart36VGC440-811.jpg

ULTROS!

Syphon Filter said:
Yea but on ps3 I am sure it's not full screen.

It's not. You can stretch the 4:3 resolution if you want just like the other PSone games.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
ULTROS! said:
Low?

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but why can't capcom just hire some crack 3d modelers to neo-classically recreate the backgrounds in RE DC/2/3? I mean the lighting schemes and complexity of most of those backgrounds is really simple. You could grab kids from the local VFX or animation school and get them to do backgrounds like that now. The 3D elements could be up-resed as much as you need. If they can take a game like Super Street Fighter and redraw ALL the frames of animation and backgrounds, why couldn't they replicate the backgrounds in the old resident evils? I want trophies for beating those games again.

erlim said:
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but why can't capcom just hire some crack 3d modelers to neo-classically recreate the backgrounds in RE DC/2/3? I mean the lighting schemes and complexity of most of those backgrounds is really simple. You could grab kids from the local VFX or animation school and get them to do backgrounds like that now. The 3D elements could be up-resed as much as you need. If they can take a game like Super Street Fighter and redraw ALL the frames of animation and backgrounds, why couldn't they replicate the backgrounds in the old resident evils? I want trophies for beating those games again.
Because it's Capcom, dude.

erlim

Crewnh said:

I mean they remade bionic commando and mega man 1. those psone graphics, especially the first resident evil, are way more basic than any psp game.

erlim said:

because "crack 3d modelers" don't work for free.

erlim

Ninja Scooter said:
because "crack 3d modelers" don't work for free.

It's cheaper than remaking the entire game in a REmake style. And you know if Capcom got the assets up to 720p or whatever that those games are coming out on PS3, 360, WiiU, 3DS, PSvita, then probably PS4 and Xbox720 and PC and every cell phone. They are like a bad boyfriend and terrible at properly celebrating anniversaries.

jackdoe

Crewnh said:
Seconded. Look at how much "effort" they put into RE4 while charging $20 for the product. If they did that, they'd charge $40 digitally and tell you to be thankful it wasn't retail or else it would have been $60.

jackdoe said:
Seconded. Look at how much "effort" they put into RE4 while charging $20 for the product. If they did that, they'd charge $40 digitally and tell you to be thankful it wasn't retail or else it would have been $60.
And remember, they wanted to save us money!

Yoshichan

I'm at the second boulder on Pro now... third time dying.

You guys are so fucking wrong about this, seriously. I recorded some of it on my shitty Galaxy SII.

Rlan

Okay, anyone willing to help me get the leaderboard stats for this game? Is tgere a leaderboard for zombie kills in general? Is tgere a total? I need the xbla one.

erlim

resident evil 4 is so exquisitely paced. difficulty, environments, weapons, everything. the antiquated mechanics. looking back i think i beat resident evil 5 eight times (probably more than i've played through any game) simply because of my nostalgia for RE4.

Nemesis_

Rlan said:
Okay, anyone willing to help me get the leaderboard stats for this game? Is tgere a leaderboard for zombie kills in general? Is tgere a total? I need the xbla one.

0TFaMh.jpg

Pretty much only shows completion times for each mode. I can get more specific if you wish. :)

def sim

MarshMellow96 said:
That review reads like a person who's never played a resident evil before 4 at times.

It's a review for possible customers who haven't been exposed to the archaic RE's. Makes sense.

rance said:
It's a review for possible customers who haven't been exposed to the archaic RE's. Makes sense.

I honestly think most won't go that far back. 4 fair enough - it's similar enough to 5 to remain comfortable to a player. But C:VX? I'm only going back because it's the only one I haven't played and I loved the series as a kid.

Also, certain complaints could also be levelled at modern Resi games. But there we go.

Yoshichan

Chapter 3... currently 93% hit ratio. Say somethin' hater!

Yoshichan said:
Chapter 3... currently 93% hit ratio. Say somethin' hater!
didn't CVXFreak say that the QTE events were harder on professional a few pages back? they totally are.

oh, CVX is up on 360. i'm downloading it right now. US.

Eurogamer said:
the HD tagline justifiable only in regard to the crisp new menu screens
what's this nonsense?

SkylineRKR said:
They kinda had to. RE4 received a 7/10. After playing RE4 I disagree with most things they said, so I will probably still dig CV too.
i don't think it's an unfair angle given their perspective of 'this is aimed at people that haven't played classic REs'. i don't think it's exclusively aimed there, but certainly those of us that already played classic REs, or already played CVX aren't really the ones using reviews to decide if we want to play the game.

the old REs have dated much more than RE4 has, whether we want to admit it or not. frankly i don't care personally. i want CVX HD for myself and it looks like a job well done. maybe this time i'll actually finish it.

GrayFoxPL

Btw I always wondered when CV was really designed and started development. I'm thinking about it because as much as I love the game the zombies animations were much worse then those in RE2 and of course 3. That made me think capcom started making it maybe sooner then RE2.

randomwab

GrayFoxPL said:
Btw I always wondered when CV was really designed and started development. I'm thinking about it because as much as I love the game the zombies animations were much worse then those in RE2 and of course 3. That made me think capcom started making it maybe sooner then RE2.

CV started development toward the end of Resident Evil 2's development cycle. I think the majority of the game was made by Nextech though, the guys that ported the first game to the Saturn.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Omg, just managed to head shot the red monk in the turret room in the castle before he could run away and get to it and it skipped that entire sequence. I never knew you could actually get him. This game, man.

Top Bottom