• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

SkylineRKR

GrayFoxPL said:
Btw I always wondered when CV was really designed and started development. I'm thinking about it because as much as I love the game the zombies animations were much worse then those in RE2 and of course 3. That made me think capcom started making it maybe sooner then RE2.

Thats a good point you make there, because RE3 with its dodge, Real Time Stair Walking (zomfg!), ammo powder mixing and choices make for a more advanced game. Also, RE:CV had no decapitations at all.

But, CV was being outsourced to Nextech which might clarify some of the choices.

Rez said:
Omg, just managed to head shot the red monk in the turret room in the castle before he could run away and get to it and it skipped that entire sequence. I never knew you could actually get him. This game, man.
way easier with a rocket launcher lol.
Has anyone brought up the speed run of this game. fucking one hour and 50 minutes from scratch.

Curufinwe

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Don't know if it was posted but Eurogamer gave CVX a 6/10.

Every few seconds, key objects in the environment glint to draw your attention, an unimaginative and lazy design trope now largely consigned to history.

Can a professional reviewer really be this ignorant or was this twisting of the facts deliberate? Modern games are all about having objects shimmer or light up to make sure you notice them.

Rez said:
Omg, just managed to head shot the red monk in the turret room in the castle before he could run away and get to it and it skipped that entire sequence. I never knew you could actually get him. This game, man.

Nice one. That's pretty hard to do.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so this time I wanna kill
Vertugo. Salizars right hand.
Everyone says I should be using the rocket launcher I find... but how am I supposed to be able to carry it? I have a sniper rifle, a shotgun and a pistol... and lots of ammo and herbs.

Yoshichan said:
Okay so this time I wanna kill
Vertugo. Salizars right hand.
Everyone says I should be using the rocket launcher I find... but how am I supposed to be able to carry it? I have a sniper rifle, a shotgun and a pistol... and lots of ammo and herbs.
You can get the XL case from the merchant directly after where the rocket launcher is. That adds more than enough space for the RL over the large case.

Also mix some herbs to make space if you can. I have the red nine with stock, the shotgun, the semi auto rifle with scope, the tmp with stock, and a missile launcher, along with ammo and healing items.

pulled the trigger on RE4 because it was only $10.

even so, i still have my gripes that confirm my original bitch fest from last week. it's an extremely lazy "HD" job. it's a great game. it's one of my faves, despite being an RE purist and not considering it an RE game. but it's very obvious and hard to argue against that this was a lazy port, and is better off without the HD tag.

it's hard to wrap my brain around it costing so much money as to decide against 'upgrading' some of the assets in this game. a good example is the small easy things such as the menu's could have been recreated, since they already went through the trouble of adding in the controller config page. that and a lot of in-game text looks like it was just left as-is from the original versions and stretched. the cutscenes are probably the biggest offender, and could have been (this is going off the assumption that they no longer have the assets required to re-render the initial cutscene itself)

a small issue, absolutely, but it's one of many that i noticed just during the initial start of the game. i'm willing to forgive them leaving the textures alone, but i feel like adding the HD on the end of the name is pointless and a tiny bit deceptive. it really IS just RE4 on PS3. not RE4:HD. i think if it's going to get the 'HD' treatment it should be enhanced in other ways, and then possibly charged more. otherwise, lower it from $20 and leave it simply as RE4.

otherwise it plays a lot smoother than i imagined and i'm eager to spend my money more wisely this time around in addition to treasure hunting a little better. (aka shooting the crows earlier on in the game) can't wait for CVX after i finish this. :)

But it IS RE4 in HD. I mean, that's all it is, but that's all they're calling it. Not special edition or RE4-X or anything. I don't know how else you'd describe it other than resident evil 4 but now in HD.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
plagiarize said:
You can get the XL case from the merchant directly after where the rocket launcher is. That adds more than enough space for the RL over the large case.

Also mix some herbs to make space if you can. I have the red nine with stock, the shotgun, the semi auto rifle with scope, the tmp with stock, and a missile launcher, along with ammo and healing items.
Ahh, completely forgot about the XL case from the merchant afterwards. So I'll skip grabbing it, I'll just head to merchant, then backtrack? Thanks!!

burgerdog said:
The one thing you could say is that it is HD. They're not lying about that.

oh i know, but to sum up my original rant from last week without reposting: it sets up expectations that weren't met. and these days an HD redo/port/remake has more done to it than it's native resolution increased. i think at the end of the day, based on it's reception and those that are enjoying it, it could and *should* have been named simply RE4. wouldn't have hurt it's reception and it would have set up appropriate expectations. :p

edit: a better way of putting it is the fact that it's going to be on PS3/360 already tells the consumer it will be in HD. without the HD addition it sounds like it will be a straight port in a higher resolution. when HD is added and it's already on an HD system, it sounds like it has been enhanced.

on another note, i embarrassed myself at the very beginning outside the cottage. my brain totally went into FPS mode and i ended up doing the newbie "looking down at the floor while enemies destroy me" thing. luckily i didn't die.

Risible

Rez said:

Yeah, I did the same this play-through. I always just assumed he was programmed to run away and that shooting at him was a waste of time. I sniped him and figured that some other dude who take his place as machine gunner, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that nope, if he's dead it doesn't happen. So cool.

10+ play-throughs in and I'm still finding new things.

IrishNinja

yeah, cutscenes aren't fantastic, but it's the saving/loading time that gets me, so far.

also, its been years but damn, so stingy on ammo early on! i forgot what it felt like, being out of everything all the time. also, where'd my random snakes go?!

Risible said:
Yeah, I did the same this play-through. I always just assumed he was programmed to run away and that shooting at him was a waste of time. I sniped him and figured that some other dude who take his place as machine gunner, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that nope, if he's dead it doesn't happen. So cool.

10+ play-throughs in and I'm still finding new things.
Is that the same red monk you chase around the room where the rocket launcher guys are hiding behind a painting?

When you see him before that doing the sacrifice I shot his head off this play through, it exploded and everything, but he just ran off and grew a new one. Ho hum. :)

Yoshichan

Save is turning out awesome!

Got the free Broken Butterfly and the rocket launcher ♥

AEREC

Nemesis556 said:
0TFaMh.jpg

Pretty much only shows completion times for each mode. I can get more specific if you wish. :)

Wait so RE4 does have leaderboards? Is there leaderboards for mercenaries?

So the leaderboards only count when you start a NEW game? It doesn't count New Game+?

Damn, I wanted to just run through with an Infinite Rocket Launcher and bring myself up from my 18 hour bottom tier time. xP

Mr_Zombie

Curufinwe said:
Can a professional reviewer really be this ignorant or was this twisting of the facts deliberate? Modern games are all about having objects shimmer or light up to make sure you notice them.

Did he really called shimmering objects a "unimaginative and lazy design trope now largely consigned to history"? smh
Of course, a big colorful button with a description "Press B to pick up the item." when you near the object is so much better design.

Man I am loving this game all over again. My only problem is a lack of ammo. My hit % is like 85 too. I have been coasting by with just barely enough ammo at just about every major encounter. I'm about to finish the Village so maybe ammo won't be such a big deal after this.

And I have been very anal about collecting everything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just played from the beginning of 3-2 through to the start of 4-4 in one sitting. This game, man. This game.

Also... since when were there two chainsaw dudes in the room just before the minecart? Maybe they have always been there, but it was quite a surprise.

The Lamonster said:
Man I am loving this game all over again. My only problem is a lack of ammo. My hit % is like 85 too. I have been coasting by with just barely enough ammo at just about every major encounter. I'm about to finish the Village so maybe ammo won't be such a big deal after this.

And I have been very anal about collecting everything.
Are you using melee and knife much? Are you using grenades or selling them? Are you wasting high power ammo on weak enemies? Have you been getting your free ammo upgrades?

I had a rather thrilling and beyond intense Pro experience last night in The Room. Up until this point, regardless of the limited ammo you're given I had kept my accuracy above 90% so I wasn't wasting ammo on anything. Nevertheless, this is what I had in my inventory when I reached it:

2 green herbs
1 can yellow/green
2 semi auto rifle rounds
2 incendiary naders
3 riot gun rounds
12 red9 rounds

Obviously I used the two rifle rounds on the crossbow Illuminados as soon as I entered, of course I was harshly reminded about their placement/existence in Pro. After tossing an incendiary at the two shield guys in front of me, it was nothing but a chase sequence in a figure 8 while I had what felt like, and probably was, a dozen guys breathing down my neck. 16 deaths later (and thats a first since I originally played Pro back in '05) I still dont know how I managed to succeed. I had to keep exiting the room and running back to save, and then re entering again only to find even MORE monks were waiting for me.

Still the best game ever made.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Those crossbow assholes were there on my normal run back in the GameCube days. They disappeared after I died a few times, but yeah, they were there. This is long before I knew about the auto-adjusting difficulty, by the way, so their disappearance confused the hell out of me. Good times.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They were definitely there on my first run of the game back in 2005. NTCS GameCube version.

Yeah thats what I played too. Damn. Well they definitley weren't there on my first HD Normal run and even with the dynamic difficulty, I only died during that run 7 times and neither of those deaths occurred in the castle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they weren't there for me this time either. Maybe it's a PS2/Wii version change or something.

Goddammit, I accidentally left my 360 on over night and since I hadn't saved it, I couldn't restart anything. So now, after my playthrough, I am ranked 980/991 on the Leaderboards for Professional mode with 30 hours. It would have been around a 14 hour playthrough.

Oh well, no biggy. I am proud to be at least one of the first 1000 to beat it on Professional for 360 at least. D=

Rez said:
Those crossbow assholes were there on my normal run back in the GameCube days. They disappeared after I died a few times, but yeah, they were there. This is long before I knew about the auto-adjusting difficulty, by the way, so their disappearance confused the hell out of me. Good times.
WHAT

I had no idea. The only other time I've heard about auto-adjusting difficulty based on deaths is the Mortal Kombat (2011) Challenge Tower. No wonder I finally survived the Night of the Living Dead house with Luis last night! I thought for sure I was fucked.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i still have my gripes that confirm my original bitch fest from last week. it's an extremely lazy "HD" job.

I have a problem with the port job, but not with the decision not to "enhance" the game. I'm not even sure I'd want them to re-create or touch up anything; quite frankly, I wouldn't trust Capcom these days not to screw it up somehow if they touched the actual game, even the assets.

But there's no excuse for the sound problems, the lack of filtering and AA, or even the 720p resolution (vs. 1080p). And certainly no excuse for any slowdown. The sound is the worst, though, it's bugging the hell out of me, and I'm no audio snob.

Curufinwe

Leondexter said:
Same here. I always have zero deaths, though. If I die, I re-load. Always have, always will.

I did that on the Wii and regretted it because then I couldn't properly compare my final stats with what I did on the GC and PS2 versions.

RedSwirl

JumpingTheGun said:
I had a rather thrilling and beyond intense Pro experience last night in The Room. Up until this point, regardless of the limited ammo you're given I had kept my accuracy above 90% so I wasn't wasting ammo on anything. Nevertheless, this is what I had in my inventory when I reached it:

2 green herbs
1 can yellow/green
2 semi auto rifle rounds
2 incendiary naders
3 riot gun rounds
12 red9 rounds

Obviously I used the two rifle rounds on the crossbow Illuminados as soon as I entered, of course I was harshly reminded about their placement/existence in Pro. After tossing an incendiary at the two shield guys in front of me, it was nothing but a chase sequence in a figure 8 while I had what felt like, and probably was, a dozen guys breathing down my neck. 16 deaths later (and thats a first since I originally played Pro back in '05) I still dont know how I managed to succeed. I had to keep exiting the room and running back to save, and then re entering again only to find even MORE monks were waiting for me.

Still the best game ever made.

My strategy has always been to run to the lower level at the very back of the room and use the chamber with the pressure switches as a choke point to kill the bulk of them.

Choke points are your lifeblood in RE4.

GrayFoxPL

randomwab said:
CV started development toward the end of Resident Evil 2's development cycle. I think the majority of the game was made by Nextech though, the guys that ported the first game to the Saturn.

SkylineRKR said:
Thats a good point you make there, because RE3 with its dodge, Real Time Stair Walking (zomfg!), ammo powder mixing and choices make for a more advanced game. Also, RE:CV had no decapitations at all.

But, CV was being outsourced to Nextech which might clarify some of the choices.

Nextech? I played the game so many times and never realized that.

Thanks for the info.

Yoshichan

Seriously, Pro run is ending up being much easier now... besides stupid QTEs, I'm pretty much killing it right now. Stupid bag needs an XXXXL-upgrade or something, my x3 Herbs and ammo doesn't fit anymore!

Also, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, Right Hand! BOOM;!

edit: and yes, if anyone haven't noticed it yet... I haven't slept for 48 hours now :lol God damn this game... and tomorrow, SotC, also my favorite game of all time.

Oh MY GOD. No time for sleep! Need to finish Pro-mode!

Yoshichan said:
Seriously, Pro run is ending up being much easier now... besides stupid QTEs, I'm pretty much killing it right now. Stupid bag needs an XXXXL-upgrade or something, my x3 Herbs and ammo doesn't fit anymore!

edit: and yes, if anyone haven't noticed it yet... I haven't slept for 48 hours now :lol God damn this game... and tomorrow, SotC, also my favorite game of all time.

Pro mode is definitely not that much harder than Normal mode. Although I ended up getting really lazy towards the end, and I stopped caring to conserve anything in chapter 5, and fooled around a lot (tried suplexing enemies I couldn't suplex), so I died a couple of times.

Yoshichan said:

Last time I pulled an all-nighter playing videogames I went temporarily blind from migraines. That was fun. Anyone else tries to kill the giant elevator thing in RE5 while blind?

Didn't think so.

snap0212

Finished my first playthrough! :)

I was surprised how well I was able to adapt to the controls, to be honest. I knew they were absolutely fine back then but playing Resident Evil 5 with Move was just such a different and (imo) more convenient way to play that I also skipped this game because it didn't come with Move-support. I'm glad I didn't.

I don't think I'll play it on the highest difficulty (although the Gold Trophy is really tempting) but I'll definitely re-play it on normal just to collect everything. Are there any unlockables that I cannot get if I don't play on Professional?

SkylineRKR said:
randomwab said:
CV started development toward the end of Resident Evil 2's development cycle. I think the majority of the game was made by Nextech though, the guys that ported the first game to the Saturn.
CODE:Veronica was not outsourced, it was developed by the same people that did RE1–3. Sega and Nextech just helped Capcom by providing some graphic designers and programmers, probably as part of the (timed) Dreamcast exclusivity deal.

Development started pretty much as soon as RE2 was out, while RE3 got its official start in late 1998.

Also, trailer posted again (just because it's visually stunning compared to the original versions).

GrayFoxPL

Prime Blue said:
CODE:Veronica was not outsourced, it was developed by the same people that did RE1–3. Sega and Nextech just helped Capcom by providing some graphic designers and programmers, probably as part of the (timed) Dreamcast exclusivity deal.

Development started pretty much as soon as RE2 was out, while RE3 got its official start in late 1998.

Also, trailer posted again (just because it's visually stunning compared to the original versions).

Then why did they downgrade the character animations? Anything besides cutscenes is stiff and robotic.

Well looks like RE4 HD and CVX made me become a PS+ subscriber....

Bit on the $10 deal today before I left for work and I'll be downloading CVX tonight :)

Can't wait to play RE4 again. Like riding a bike....

Top Bottom