• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Eurogamer said:
...key objects in the environment glint to draw your attention, an unimaginative and lazy design trope now largely consigned to history.
Bwahahahaha! Oh Eurogamer you ostentatious cognitive slagheap. Do any of you even think about what you're actually writing?

GrayFoxPL said:
Then why did they downgrade the character animations? Anything besides cutscenes is stiff and robotic.
They didn't. CV was in development well before 3, which was originally meant to be a simple side-story.

randomwab

Replaying Code Veronica reminds me of how much I hate this game. It's definitely the worst Resident Evil game for me.

As for the port, it's pretty alright. I really like the new lighting, but hate the weird depth of field blur thing that it has going on at times. I'm playing as Chris on the island at the minute and it looks pretty fine so far.

randomwab said:
As for the port, it's pretty alright.
I feel the exact opposite. It's a blurry mess from what I've played. Almost as though they just blew the image up to fit a widescreen frame as opposed to the image benefiting from additional resolution. Oh and it looks overly dark (something I can likely fix by adjusting my TV but I shouldn't have to). I've played through CV on the Dreamcast and the PS2 and I'm pretty disappointed with what I've played so far.

GrayFoxPL said:
Then why did they downgrade the character animations? Anything besides cutscenes is stiff and robotic.
There are no "downgraded" animations in C:V. It's just that there wasn't a big leap forward between RE2 and C:V because they were not far apart – that, coupled with the fact that RE2's 400-polygon models hide the worse animations pretty well.

Futurevoid said:
Oh and it looks overly dark (something I can likely fix by adjusting my TV but I shouldn't have to).
Are you playing on PS3?

Risible

Yoshichan said:
Seriously, Pro run is ending up being much easier now... besides stupid QTEs, I'm pretty much killing it right now. Stupid bag needs an XXXXL-upgrade or something, my x3 Herbs and ammo doesn't fit anymore!

Also, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, Right Hand! BOOM;!

edit: and yes, if anyone haven't noticed it yet... I haven't slept for 48 hours now :lol God damn this game... and tomorrow, SotC, also my favorite game of all time.

Oh MY GOD. No time for sleep! Need to finish Pro-mode!

I owe you an apology, you're not crazy, the QTEs ARE much harder.

I just got to the first Gigante on my Pro run, and FUCK that QTE event after you run up his back. If you don't hit the right button to slash (square or X) within like milliseconds the fucker throws you off and stomps on you. SO MUCH RAGE.

RedSwirl

Damn. Had to use every health item I had for the Mike section. I always had a really hard time with that on Pro. Mostly me not being able to dodge the machine gun nests.

GrayFoxPL

Prime Blue said:
There are no "downgraded" animations in C:V. It's just that there wasn't a big leap forward between RE2 and C:V because they were not far apart – that, coupled with the fact that RE2's 400-polygon models hide the worse animations pretty well.

There are. I played both enough times to see the difference. You posted terrible re2 video played on a badly set up emulator. The frameskip and jerky Clarie run tells all. Disgusting. I'm actually replaying re2. It's sickly smooth in reality. Zombies in Veronica are much worse animated. It's clear as day in their robotic fall animation, or when they grab. Generally zombies in veronica animate like robots in comparison to 2. There was zero leap between re2 and cv, besides zombies now "sticking" to walls after push everything else was a downgrade.

SkylineRKR

Loved RE3's animations the most, that game was fast and had obviously better controls than CV.

CV had the best storyline, probably, but as an RE I don't know where to place it. It seemed to be the slowest game with the most back tracking.

Looked brilliant way, way back though (I remember foaming over those Beta screenies in EGM etc):

http://youtu.be/H2S-Dwe_fLA

Dat camera angles and RE2 costume.

GrayFoxPL said:
There are. I played both enough times to see the difference. You posted terrible re2 video played on a badly set up emulator. The frameskip and jerky Clarie run tells all. Disgusting. I'm actually replaying re2. It's sickly smooth in reality. Zombies in Veronica are much worse animated. It's clear as day in their robotic fall animation, or when they grab. Generally zombies in veronica animate like robots in comparison to 2. There was zero leap between re2 and cv, besides zombies now "sticking" to walls after push everything else was a downgrade.
Here's another. Just because there's no stuttering in that one doesn't make the animations better. Hell, even the early animations in the CODE:Veronica betas look more sophisticated than in RE2.

GrayFoxPL

Prime Blue said:
Here's another. Just because there's no stuttering in that one doesn't make the animations better. Hell, even the early animations in the CODE:Veronica betas look more sophisticated than in RE2.

Lol re2 cutscene, ok. Sophiscated, yeah. Especially this compared to this. And not like after the beta animations got any better.
But if you see robot/underwater zombie animation as an improvement, ok then.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat it in professional.

I really can't say this enough times... THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER CREATED, just WOW! It was easier than normal, I admit, but my god, the experience was just as good as every other time I beat RE4.

Mikami is a fucking GOD.

edit: and no, I'm not planning on sleeping yet. Who can sleep after 2 playthroughs of this game?
Risible said:
I owe you an apology, you're not crazy, the QTEs ARE much harder.

I just got to the first Gigante on my Pro run, and FUCK that QTE event after you run up his back. If you don't hit the right button to slash (square or X) within like milliseconds the fucker throws you off and stomps on you. SO MUCH RAGE.
MWHAHAHHAHA

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I kind of predicted most people wouldn't take to the grainy, darkened IQ of CV. I still think it looks great and is a major improvement over the original.

I really don't think there is any problem with the controls, visuals or animations at all (except keeping the climb stairs button, that's bunk), but that's all everyone seems to focus on.

If there is anything the game deserves a lot of criticism for it's the confusing level design, brick wall moments where you have no choice but to restart, simple mistakes that can deprive you of important items at the very end of the game, and parts where you absolutely cannot avoid taking hits or dying. Some pretty poor game design all around.

The game was contentious when it came out and it's still contentious today. Anachronism has nothing to do with it.

B-Dex

Yeah when I originally played CV on my DC, I left the fire extinguisher in the metal detector deposit box.

DON'T DO THAT. You'll have to restart the game if you make it to disc 2..... Made me not want to play it again.

GrayFoxPL

Didn't run into much trouble playing CV. Game braking shit? New to me, but I'm one of those re players that picks nearly every object and puts it in item box.

What I loved about Veronica was the rather frequent location change, quite interesting at that. Good storyline. Badass Chris Redfield and his godlike knife(no re5 chris is not badass) and no contest the best Wesker in any RE ever.

burgerdog said:
What the fuck. CVX on 360 makes my sound system go nuts upon booting the game for about 7 seconds. Scared the hell out of me.
same thing happened to me this morning. Woke my sleeping wife. She was less than impressed.

IrishNinja

Rez said:
This is long before I knew about the auto-adjusting difficulty, by the way, so their disappearance confused the hell out of me. Good times.

ooooh, this explains my game a bit, a well as not having the option to pick when i started.

madkiller said:
Do you place them in order? You know first herbs, then guns etc.

what is this, crazy-talk? everyone knows guns go first, then herbs.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
CVX up on PSN search.

It also includes a PSN avatar of that Wesker pic as seen in my OP, lol.

burgerdog

Would I be completely out of line if CVX's graphics impressed me more than 4's? Must be the new lighting.

Also, tank controls? I didn't even have to get used to it. Smooth sailing right from the start.

SOLDIER

Is there a comparison vid that compares the PSN version with the Wii (non-Dolphin) one?

One that compares PSN, Wii, and Dolphin would probably be acceptable too.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Bought Resi 4 last week and moaned about the control and sound issues...

Went back today and played right up to the castle. SO GOOD.

burgerdog said:
Would I be completely out of line if CVX's graphics impressed me more than 4's? Must be the new lighting.

Also, tank controls? I didn't even have to get used to it. Smooth sailing right from the start.
i just wish we had the C type option they added to the cube version of CVX. le sigh. back to RE4!

Uh is it just me or is there some serious slowdown in the opening FMV to Code: Veronica? I was showing the opening to my girlfriend like "oh look how badass this opening is!" and then it starts to fucking stutter.

It's either stuttering or they deliberately went back and added the slowdown for dramatic effect or some shit, because I know it wasn't originally like that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
brandonh83 said:
Uh is it just me or is there some serious slowdown in the opening FMV to Code: Veronica? I was showing the opening to my girlfriend like "oh look how badass this opening is!" and then it starts to fucking stutter.

It's either stuttering or they deliberately went back and added the slowdown for dramatic effect or some shit, because I know it wasn't originally like that.
Mentioned this a few days ago

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Roughly how long is CVX on the normal difficulty?

People say around 9 hours. It's the longest classic RE game though.

ULTROS! said:
People say around 9 hours. It's the longest classic RE game though.

Hnnnggg, I can't wait to play it tomorrow for the first time, but i've really hit critical mass with stuff to play. Now doing:

Gears 3 online
Catherine
two Resident Evil 4 replays
Ocarina of Time 3D
Trials HD and Outland from the XBLA sale
Code Veronica X tomorrow
God of War Origins Collection rental

then there's the Team ICO collection on Friday, RAGE in a week and Dark Souls a week after..

ULTROS!

B-Dex said:
Is anyone going to use their forced to get Steve Avatar? lol

I'll probably use it in the future for the lulz.

I'm currently using that BOSS WESKER avatar.

29vmexh.jpg

SuperSonic1305 said:
I forgot how clunky and frustrating RE4 can be sometimes. No reloading in the inventory screen is a huge fail.
er, no, that isn't clunky. that's to stop cheat reloads :p they purposefully took that out.

ULTROS!

omg i want to punch steve, he sounds like a whiny teenage kid.

Top Bottom