• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How did anyone NOT get his joke :lol I HOPE THIS ISN'T CRIS' BLOOD!

zerotol

Banned
Rewrite said:
Damn, the room with the 2 Garradors in my Pro run was intense. I didn't have any healing items and I was in yellow health (after using the green herb) the whole time. Thankfully one of the enemies drops a first aid spray so that saved me. I had to use my Broken Butterfly to kill the armored one.

Also, is it just me or do you hardly get any rifle ammo? I swear...hardly any enemies drop it and the vases or barrels almost never drop some for me. Right now, I'm at the giant statue part, but I did manage to get some rifle ammo in the mines of all places. Currently have 20 rifle ammo.

The Striker is so goooooooooood. The TMP has also helped me out tremendously. I will never doubt it's awesomeness ever again. What a fool I was. TMP is godly.

Usually on my play throughs on the gamecube, I would avoid the TMP. but on my recent pro run in this version, it was an absolute lifesaver at times!

Daigoro

i think im going to buy RE4 today. ill probably wait on CVX for a while.

its been a while since ive played CVX. i did a marathon of RE in October 2 years ago and beat every game except for CVX. it had just aged so poorly for me i couldnt do it. that and it was always been my least favorite RE game.

hopefully this port perks it up for me a bit.

Yoshichan said:
How did anyone NOT get his joke :lol I HOPE THIS ISN'T CRIS' BLOOD!

because he screwed it up! its not "this is Chris' blood", its "hope this not Chris' blood!"

zerotol said:
Usually on my play throughs on the gamecube, I would avoid the TMP. but on my recent pro run in this version, it was an absolute lifesaver at times!

ive played through RE4 many times, and ive always ignored the TMP. i know people swear by it, but i never bothered to upgrade it too much.

luka said:
Blacktail > Red9

discuss.

i prefer the Blacktail as well. i take it over the Red9 every time.

luka said:
Blacktail > Red9

discuss.

n9w7D.jpg

Daigoro

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
The stock alone cinches the victory over the Blacktail.

Now for a real question: Handcannon or Chicago Typewriter?

the stock is one of the exact reasons why i dont use the Red9.

now for a real answer: meh.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
luka said:
Blacktail > Red9

discuss.

Disagree.

Raw power > accuracy since i have good aim (even without the stock, but the stock practically turns it into a sniper rifle). Red 9 is a powerful gun that can be used right up till the end since its exclusive makes it as powerful as a shotgun (even more).

Mileena

Banned
Rewrite said:
The Striker is so goooooooooood. The TMP has also helped me out tremendously. I will never doubt it's awesomeness ever again. What a fool I was. TMP is godly.
TMP knee shot -> melee all day son.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
chandoog said:
Disagree.

Raw power > accuracy since i have good aim (even without the stock, but the stock practically turns it into a sniper rifle). Red 9 is a powerful gun that can be used right up till the end since its exclusive makes it as powerful as a shotgun (even more).
It's sooo sloooow though. Blacktail is all *woosh* and *pewpewpewpew!* :p also,

Luis (Red9) =
dead
Ada (Blacktail) =
awesome

Coincidence?

IGNorant CODE:Veronica review is out.

Richard George said:
Capcom has done nothing to enhance the game other than upscaling it to HD, similar to the lackluster fidelity retreatment Resident Evil 4 HD received. Expect a slightly crisper and more vivid presentation of the same graphics.

The HD treatment is as limited as possible – an upscale and nothing else.
Oh boy, and they get money for spewing such uninformed shit? The stupidity of some editors never fails to surprise. Even just watching a YouTube video would have shown him that the game runs on a completely different engine now.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
zerotol said:
It really is. You don't even have to waste too much ammo trying to kill enemies either. It's also a life saver when it comes to bosses too. Mendez is always a breeze with it.

luka said:
Blacktail > Red9

discuss.
Nah. I'm going to disagree with you. The Red9 is the best handgun in the game by far. Its exclusive feature alone surpasses anything that the Blacktail/Regular Handgun/Punisher offer. Both handguns handle good, though.

corkscrewblow said:
TMP knee shot -> melee all day son.
You know, it dawg.

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
The TMP sucks man, it SUCKS! >=(
Soon you'll learn the errors of your way, homie! When you upgrade it, it will literally take like 2 shots to blow your enemies' head off. It's so satisfying. Not to mention it's a good alternative to the shotgun for crowd control and for your handgun when you're running out of ammo. Plus, it's a boss killer. Give it another shot and you'll be surprised. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I caved and bought RE4, haven't played it since I did a knife run on the gamecube and thought might as well. Seperate Ways will be new to me, atleast.

I just got to the castle, smooth sailing so far. I immediatly bought the red9(best pistol, fact) and will skip the semi auto sniper because the manual reload is that awesome.

Also, the TMP is great. Everyone who hates on it is a bad person. Completely destroys El Gigante, the Chief, and makes crowd control with burst fire into kicks a cinch.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
All guns are good.

Except for the mine thrower (because I never used it). :p

krakov

RichardAM said:
Two RE4 sessions in and arrived at the island, at the first Regenerators.

Switched off and left it until tomorrow though- I am NOT playing that section before bed. Again.

Did exactly the same thing last night, most nerve wracking enemies ever.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really though, does anyone actually ever use the Punisher? In all of my playthroughs of RE4 I don't think I have ever even considered it; I ALWAYS shoot 10 medallions and sell it back for $10,000 immediately.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Papercuts said:
Really though, does anyone actually ever use the Punisher? In all of my playthroughs of RE4 I don't think I have ever even considered it; I ALWAYS shoot 10 medallions and sell it back for $10,000 immediately.
No. I'd rather upgrade the default pistol to the max than to upgrade the Punisher. The only good thing about it is that it destroys the wooden shields easily. I never cared for the whole shooting through enemies feature the gun has. The default pistol's exclusive is that it increases the chances of getting a headshot, which is a better feature than being able to shoot through five bodies that the Punisher offers.

Daigoro said:
for those who like to take it easy.
I deserve to look like a badass mowing down enemies with my Red9, thank you very much. :)

cvxfreak

Is it just me or is the "Resident Evil" voice in CVX's title screen lifted from the GameCube version? Odd move to say the least...

I haven't played the game in English in years, so I can't remember.

Daigoro

chandoog said:
For those who like to look cool since the red9 is easily the most distinct and bad ass looking handgun.

it is certainly the coolest looking handgun in the game.

i still choose the Blacktail every time though. it just feels right.

cvxfreak said:
Is it just me or is the "Resident Evil" voice in CVX's title screen lifted from the GameCube version? Odd move to say the least...

the GC version of Veronica? was it changed from the DC version?

Noriega said:
God the Wii's controls were amazing compared to this.

Now I have to actually aim with the control sticks :(
I just thought of something OT...Shadow Complex would be awesome with a Wiimote and nunchucks. Just copy the controls from Metal Slug.

cvxfreak said:

For "Resident Evil", it uses the new announcer from the Nintendo GameCube version. For "Biohazard", however, it uses the old Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Prime Blue said:
IGNorant CODE:Veronica review is out.

Oh boy, and they get money for spewing such uninformed shit? The stupidity of some editors never fails to surprise. Even just watching a YouTube video would have shown him that the game runs on a completely different engine now.
That is pretty damn ignorant. It's immediately clear that the lighting is completely different from the original. What, did he somehow think that the Dreamcast was capable of per pixel lighting and fully dynamic shadows?

cvxfreak

Prime Blue said:
For "Resident Evil", it uses the new announcer from the Nintendo GameCube version. For "Biohazard", however, it uses the old Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 one.

I love the original "Resident Evil" voice from the Dreamcast and PS2 versions, primarily because that was the first variation of it I had ever heard. :(

Come to think of it, I don't even know why the GC versions changed the title voices for the 3 ports on that system. So random.

The Mana Legend said:
It's the only thing that matters when you're actually good at the game. <3
not true. tmp rounds are much easier to come by. it is perfect for lots of situations as a result. the lift ride for example. why waste a higher powered shotgun shell or pistol bullet, or heaven forebid a rifle round when a single TMP round will knock ganados off that lift just as well?

an isolated enemy you want to knock over and knife to death... again, you only need one tmp bullet to stun them. lets not forget the huge amounts of free ammo you get for it when you upgrade its capacity.

and yes, it's great on the bosses.

but sure, if you want to waste more powerful ammo shooting down gems, go for it.

Curufinwe

AiTM said:
oh and Leons hair makes me thing the game is from 1995. Wtf Capcom.

If you're only into dudes with buzz cuts this gen has you covered. Go nuts.

Papercuts said:
Also, the TMP is great. Everyone who hates on it is a bad person. Completely destroys El Gigante, the Chief, and makes crowd control with burst fire into kicks a cinch.

You speak the truth. Just look at HUNK using nothing but the TMP and grenades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQand_Uj0gQ

plagiarize said:
not true. tmp rounds are much easier to come by. it is perfect for lots of situations as a result. the lift ride for example. why waste a higher powered shotgun shell or pistol bullet, or heaven forebid a rifle round when a single TMP round will knock ganados off that lift just as well?

an isolated enemy you want to knock over and knife to death... again, you only need one tmp bullet to stun them. lets not forget the huge amounts of free ammo you get for it when you upgrade its capacity.

and yes, it's great on the bosses.

but sure, if you want to waste more powerful ammo shooting down gems, go for it.

What does this have to do with the Red9 vs. Blacktail?

RE4 is so damn awesome. First time I played this game was after an operation I had on my finger back in '06. I remember tensely gripping my PS2 controller with a blackened stitched up ring finger everytime I hear the zealots chanting.

Fast forward to this HD release, after finishing normal mode and SW, I jumped right back in to play pro mode. I'm currently at 4-2 on my final run, and it's like I'm playing a whole new game. The village part kicked my ass real bad, I think I died about 20 times just before I reached the castle.

At first I thought I'd miss the wiimote pointer option for shooting but after completing the shooting range challenge and getting all bottlecaps, I'm damn well proud of myself for completing it despite Leon's shaky hands.

I also played about an hour of C:VX and I don't remember tank controls being this bad. Just a few more chapters on RE4 and I'll focus on C:VX, I hope I can complete the trophies for this game.

The Mana Legend said:
What does this have to do with the Red9 vs. Blacktail?
i totally got the two different discussions crossed :)

i thought you were saying the TMP was worthless because it wasn't powerful enough, but now i see my mistake.

Risible

Gamer @ Heart said:
Also Also, Who ever mentioned using Ashley in the armor as bait for enemies, god bless you. Work like a charm in the first crank room.

You're welcome. :)

I've been having fun on my Pro run putting her in harms way. You know the part where you raise the cannon and then blow the door open in the castle? I put her in front of the door first to see if the cannon would kill her. It didn't, although she did complain about it. :)

Curufinwe

plagiarize said:
good luck. let us know how many times you get killed :)

Zero so far and I just got to the first save point in the Castle, but there have been plenty of close calls. The cabin went smoothly because I had four flash grenades, and I took the right path after that to save ammo, and Ashley got picked up and almost died. I killed the gigante just by stunning him twice with the TMP and then shooting the plaga with the BAR. I had completely forgotten about the boulders.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
luka said:
It's sooo sloooow though. Blacktail is all *woosh* and *pewpewpewpew!* :p also,

Luis (Red9) =
dead
Ada (Blacktail) =
awesome

Coincidence?

Slower, more deliberate guns are better in RE, in my opinion. Since ammo is on the scarcer side, every shot needs to count. Power per shot > power per second.

Curufinwe

I'm using the Blacktail on my Pro run to mix things up since I bought the Red 9 + stock on Normal like I always do. It will also save me some space till I get the XL case... I'm pretty sure I've never bought the Large attache case in any of my many RE 4 playthrus.

cvxfreak said:
Come to think of it, I don't even know why the GC versions changed the title voices for the 3 ports on that system. So random.
I guess they wanted consistency. It seems to be the same voice actor used for the remake and RE0.

GuardianE said:
Slower, more deliberate guns are better in RE, in my opinion. Since ammo is on the scarcer side, every shot needs to count. Power per shot > power per second.

it also helps in crowd control when you may not have the time to aim when they get too close.

Quick RE4 question -- I have the punisher available for free at the moment but haven't redeemed it. I have a handgun that's upgraded in firepower and capacity (level 2). Do I sell the handgun, get the punisher and upgrade it to match where I was at? Just get the punisher and sell for cash? What's the recommended move here?

Top Bottom