• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Curufinwe

corrosivefrost said:
Quick RE4 question -- I have the punisher available for free at the moment but haven't redeemed it. I have a handgun that's upgraded in firepower and capacity (level 2). Do I sell the handgun, get the punisher and upgrade it to match where I was at? Just get the punisher and sell for cash? What's the recommended move here?

Get the Punisher, sell it, and don't upgrade the handgun any more. Wait till the Red 9 is available and then sell the handgun and buy the Red 9.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
it also helps in crowd control when you may not have the time to aim when they get too close.

Are you saying that the Red9 or the Blacktail is good for crowd control?

I never had an issue with crowd control. That's what invincible roundhouse kicks are for. If it's really troublesome, a single shotgun shell can clear some elbowroom.

Curufinwe said:
Zero so far and I just got to the first save point in the Castle, but there have been plenty of close calls. The cabin went smoothly because I had four flash grenades, and I took the right path after that to save ammo, and Ashley got picked up and almost died. I killed the gigante just by stunning him twice with the TMP and then shooting the plaga with the BAR. I had completely forgotten about the boulders.
i've just realised something... i've never tried attacking the plaga with anything but the knife. do flash grenades hurt it?

GuardianE said:
Are you saying that the Red9 or the Blacktail is good for crowd control?

I never had an issue with crowd control. That's what invincible roundhouse kicks are for. If it's really troublesome, a single shotgun shell can clear some elbowroom.

im saying any weapon that does more damage per shot, rather than more shots per second, seems to help me out more often than not in situations where a group of ganados get to close to me. i'll end up actually killing some, if not all, of them instead of slowing them down or making them run at me.

if they get close my aim gets loose because im afraid to miss and die, so i aim for the torso and if using a high powered weapon i will still do a lot of damage- possibly killing them.

I am going through this game while being cheap as possible. I am trying to see if I can get past the village with only the standard hand gun and shot gun with limited upgrades. First time I didn't buy the first sniper rifle in the village.

<3 this fucking game. So many different ways to play and beat each section. Gears 3 really seems so primitive in comparassion where you are only given a select handful of weapons, no special ways to stratagise in battle. Its just hide and shoot. I love how I can pick apart each enemy in RE4.

I always upgrade the Punisher and Blacktail and never mess with the Red9. I use the Blacktail primarily and the Punisher only when there are large groups of enemies.

The Red9 is ugly, takes up too much space, and does not make me feel like a badass. It makes me feel like a Nazi.

I find that the firing speed of the Blacktail supercedes the power of the Red9, for me at least. (I also think it looks cooler ;)) I primarily use the Black, but only resort to the 9 when Im doing an initial Pro run.

For my NG+, Im gonna do a run using the Minethrower, TMP, and Matilda. Not shotty or rifle. Should be interesting!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's a simple solution to me!

If you suck and don't know how to conserve ammo: Red9
If you're good and can use your ammo efficiently: Blacktail

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The people who like the Blacktail over the Red 9 make me physically angry. I'll find you all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, I just realised I have never seen the Minethrower ammo or actually used the Minethrower.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yoshichan said:

More like: Use the Blacktail if you like pew pew pewing into groups inefficiently.
Use the Red9 if you're calculating and like your bullets packing a punch.

I always have tons of ammo left over, but the OCD part of me forces me to still take out enemies in the most efficient ways possible. Always handgun, kick, knife slash. It pretty much takes me only a few handgun bullets to take out a group.

Anyway, Red9 reload animation is sexy. I'd use the gun for that alone. Blacktail's... eh. Just another pistol.

Host Samurai said:
I am going through this game while being cheap as possible. I am trying to see if I can get past the village with only the standard hand gun and shot gun with limited upgrades. First time I didn't buy the first sniper rifle in the village.

<3 this fucking game. So many different ways to play and beat each section. Gears 3 really seems so primitive in comparassion where you are only given a select handful of weapons, no special ways to stratagise in battle. Its just hide and shoot. I love how I can pick apart each enemy in RE4.
You don't really to upgrade at all. Especially if you are fairly good at head shot/melee or leg shot/knife. You could also grab the ever so-controversial TMP for $10,000. TMP is amazing in some situations, basically worthless in others. That is one of the great things about RE4, there are so many ways to effectively get through areas, which is likely one of the reasons so many people have played through RE4 several times, and still finding new tricks/techniques. Personally, I have to have at finished RE4 at least 20 times by now between the GC and PS2 version, and I thought the QTE for El Gigante was necessary until I read here that it wasn't.

Rez said:
Weird, I just realised I have never seen the Minethrower ammo or actually used the Minethrower.

Me too. I saw a screenshot where someone had minethrower ammo in their cache, and I had no idea what it fucking was before I realized it was probably minethrower ammo! In all my 12 or so playthroughs of the game, I don't think I've even THOUGHT about buying the thing.

AkuMifune

Banned
I used the Blacktail for the first time ever my last playthrough and really liked it. Plus upgrading capacity and getting 30 free rounds is nice.

Started my Pro run last night, man. Also wish I could mix and match the special outfits. Leon looks like such a goofball in his mafioso getup.

scitek

The Mana Legend said:
Me too. I saw a screenshot where someone had minethrower ammo in their cache, and I had no idea what it fucking was before I realized it was probably minethrower ammo! In all my 12 or so playthroughs of the game, I don't think I've even THOUGHT about buying the thing.

The Minethrower's awesome. It's like the Torque Bow from Gears of War, except without the suck.

i normally use the blacktail, but i decided to give the Red 9 a whirl on this play through, and i have to say i'm loving it. it may take up a bit more space in the case, but i'm making that work just fine. i'll definately be going with it again on my pro run.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Mana Legend said:

I never bought it until my, like 4th playthrough and I just wanted to see how it worked. I kept a separate save where I hoarded Mine Thrower ammo, and I could load it up anytime I wanted to have fun with the Fully Upgraded Mine Thrower. It does look badass strapped to Leon's arm while he's wearing the Gangster costume.

scitek said:
The Minethrower's awesome. It's like the Torque Bow from Gears of War, except without the suck.

I've got a Cleared save right now with 1 million+ ptas, so maybe I'll just spend a playthrough messing around with stuff I haven't done before, including the Minethrower.

Some of you have never used the Minethrower? Yeah you all need to get on that. The max upgrade allows them to becoming homing darts. Instant fun I say.

very effective on some bosses, particularly El Gigante.

Curufinwe

scitek said:

It is, and with the economy in this version it's very affordable. Just be careful not to stick an enemy with a mine that's close enough to run up to you before it explodes. It also has an awesome reload animation.

plagiarize said:
i've just realised something... i've never tried attacking the plaga with anything but the knife. do flash grenades hurt it?

I'm not sure... I will try and reload my last save from before I fought the second gigante and try a flash grenade.

JumpingTheGun said:
Some of you have never used the Minethrower? Yeah you all need to get on that. The max upgrade allows them to becoming homing darts. Instant fun I say.

Do you know what's more effective?!

Infinite Rocket Launcher. <3<3<3<3

Nice discussion on the Blacktail and Red9. You can all hate on me: I use the Punisher all the way through the game. I've done just one playthrough with the Red9, liked it, but it takes up too much space. I never even considered the Blacktail. Just seems like another handgun, it has no selling point.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OH YEAH! Look what just arrived :D! Cost me a fortune but as an avid RE-collector, shit was a must!

Also, couldn't find my camera so sorry for the shitty Mini S2-pic >_<

Vq446.jpg

Leondexter said:
Nice discussion on the Blacktail and Red9. You can all hate on me: I use the Punisher all the way through the game. I've done just one playthrough with the Red9, liked it, but it takes up too much space. I never even considered the Blacktail. Just seems like another handgun, it has no selling point.

I always use the Punisher on my first playthrough of the 1st round on Normal mode. It's effective enough, and I liked using my money on other things. I upgrade to Red9 on round 2, but for round 1, I always use the free Punisher.

K' Dash

Yoshichan said:
OH YEAH! Look what just arrived :D! Cost me a fortune but as an avid RE-collector, shit was a must!

Vq446.jpg

could you take better pictures of it, maybe an unboxing video, or pictures of all the goods?

Please.

Yoshichan

K' Dash said:
could you take better pictures of it, maybe an unboxing video, or pictures of all the goods?

Please.
I'd love to but this one I'm keeping sealed :( I'm collecting RE-games of all regions, most of them are still sealed.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
GuardianE said:
Slower, more deliberate guns are better in RE, in my opinion. Since ammo is on the scarcer side, every shot needs to count.
I had no idea. The fact that my inventory is always bursting at the seams made me think I should be useing more ammo! :p

Yoshichan said:

http://i.imgur.com/Vq446.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I was really thinking of getting that, but the fact that it only had the dual-shock version of biohazard 1 with the TERRIBLE TERRIBLE music made me reconsider.

Yoshichan

luka said:
I was really thinking of getting that, but the fact that it only had the dual-shock version of biohazard 1 with the TERRIBLE TERRIBLE music made me reconsider.
Do you have a JP region console? They're not region free.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
luka said:
I had no idea. The fact that my inventory is always bursting at the seams made me think I should be useing more ammo! :p

I always end up with tons of ammo at the end, and I'm never in danger of running out, but nonetheless something feels right about making every shot count in a game like this. I also played the PS2 version first, where ammo was less plentiful than it was in the Gamecube version.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not much discussion here about CVX. :(

Anyway, are you guys playing CVX for the first time? I know it's my first time though, it's just sooo good (I like it better than RE1, not sure about REmake). Although... It's not as "scary" as RE1 and RE2.

For those who are playing CVX, how are you finding the game?

I also noticed they added some film grain to it (like the ones seen in the SH games).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ULTROS! said:
Not much discussion here about CVX. :(

Anyway, are you guys playing CVX for the first time? I know it's my first time though, it's just sooo good (I like it better than RE1, not sure about REmake). Although... It's not as "scary" as RE1 and RE2.

For those who are playing CVX, how are you finding the game?

I also noticed they added some film grain to it (like the ones seen in the SH games).
I was trying to discuss it a few days ago when no one else had it. :(
Its weird, once the initial amazement at the visuals wore off years ago, I didn't really like the game as much as the others. It was clumsy, had a confusing layout and some poorly thought out segments. Regardless I think I had the most fun I've ever had playing through it this time around. When you know what to expect and are focusing on improving your rank it's much more enjoyable. My impression of the game is a lot higher than it used to be.

Even though the graphics aren't terribly impressive anymore, it's still got some amazing music and visual design. Totally worth playing.

Sullichin

JumpingTheGun said:

Damn, I don't know why I ignored this on every playthrough of the game. Might get this next time I run into the merchant.

luka said:
Its weird, once the initial amazement at the visuals wore off years ago, I didn't really like the game as much as the others. It was clumsy, had a confusing layout and some poorly thought out segments. Regardless I think I had the most fun I've ever had playing through it this time around. When you know what to expect and are focusing on improving your rank it's much more enjoyable. My impression of the game is a lot higher than it used to be.

Even though the graphics aren't terribly impressive anymore, it's still got some amazing music and visual design. Totally worth playing.
I still love how the camera turns quickly when you reach certain areas. The game does make mr bitter a bit because of the fire extinguisher. I do love the redone lighting tho. For once I feel like I can see in CVX

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Those 122 red 9 bullets > 400 weaksauseMP rounds.

also, that is an amazing looking stack-job.

AEREC

insin said:
Hey TMP haters...

assofthebadvariety.jpg

FOUR HUNDRED amazing, crowd-controlling, boss-pummeling, dog-putdowning bullets.

How could anyone hate the TMP, it's pretty much the only fully automatic weapon in the game right? Aside from the
Chicago Typewriter

insin said:
Hey TMP haters...

assofthebadvariety.jpg

FOUR HUNDRED amazing, crowd-controlling, boss-pummeling, dog-putdowning bullets.
You have the Red9 though... you may live.

Seriously, look how badass Leon looks there. How anyone could take the Blacktail over THAT is beyond me.

AEREC

chandoog said:
Those 122 red 9 bullets > 400 weaksauseMP rounds.

also, that is an amazing looking stack-job.

Yes...organizing your case is a game in of itself in RE4, an enjoyable one too.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
AEREC said:
How could anyone hate the TMP, it's pretty much the only fully automatic weapon in the game right? Aside from the
Chicago Typewriter

For me the game is about making every shot count. Precision feels good, every time. The TMP is the opposite of that. It's nice that it's there for people who want to use it, but it feels inconsistent with the game's overall design to me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
luka said:

If you've been spoiled by the entirely new gameplay of RE4, then it might be hard to go back to the older ones (because well for one, tank controls can take some time to get used to).

How would you rank the RE series by the way? Mine goes like this already: RE4 > RE2 = REC:VX > RE1 > RE0 > RE3 > RE5

def sim

Yoshichan said:

The stats say it's the other way around.

Red9 is the best gun, anyone who says otherwise is crazy and bad at all things!

Top Bottom