• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
rance said:
The stats say it's the other way around.

Red9 is the best gun, anyone who says otherwise is crazy and bad at all things!
I don't like the red9 mainly because it's too powerful. It gets boring just pumping 2-3 bullets into each enemy and having them go down. The blacktail is more fun to use because it's so fast, and it keeps things interesting by still necessitating a degree of proficiency with ammo conservation and accuracy.

It's the same reason I hate the Typewriter. I need to have some challenge, even a little bit, to enjoy myself. The Typewriter ruins the game.

insin said:
Hey TMP haters...

assofthebadvariety.jpg

FOUR HUNDRED amazing, crowd-controlling, boss-pummeling, dog-putdowning bullets.
Where's your BB?

ULTROS! said:
If you've been spoiled by the entirely new gameplay of RE4, then it might be hard to go back to the older ones (because well for one, tank controls can take some time to get used to).

How would you rank the RE series by the way? Mine goes like this already: RE4 > RE2 = REC:VX > RE1 > RE0 > RE3 > RE5
I basically consider 4+5 to be a completely different series than 1-CV anyway, so it's never been a problem. :)

I'm afraid of turning this into a ranking thread, and I've never liked the idea of ranking mainly because my preferences fluctuate constantly (mostly CV shifting position :p), but it would probably look like this most of the time:

rebirth > 2 > CV > 3 > 1 >>> 0
----------------
4 >>> 5

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rolf NB said:
I can't even get past the first big village fight. How did I ever do this before, I can't remember :\
It's all about enemy awareness and map control. If you know where your enemies are and know how the map is designed, you can overcome most things in the game. Abuse the fact that you've got tons of invincibility frames when doing QTEs (shoot the leg, go for the roundhouse. You'll also get invi-frames by jumping out of an window or climbing up a ladder). This is particularly effective if you find yourself in a tight spot and need to get the hell out of there. Make sure to always check what weapons your enemies got and be sure to set your highest priorities on on those who throw things at you.

Enjoy!

edit: It's always easy to find cheesy paths and abusing dumb AI behaviors but that isn't what makes this game so fucking good. Play it the way it's meant to be played! Fast, intense and brutal!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Both suck. Matilda 4 life.

Matilda makes the least sense. You use it as a handgun but it automatically shoots more than one bullet? If you're trying to kill efficiently you either use a single handgun shot to stagger them and then melee, or you hit them up close with the shotgun. I don't see what tactics the Matilda lends itself to other than wasting ammo.

If you just think it's a cool gun, that's fine.

Also I don't actually know anything about the Matilda's specs, so if someone knows why it's rad, tell me.

Rolf NB said:
I can't even get past the first big village fight. How did I ever do this before, I can't remember :\
Run into the house with the shotgun, jump out the top story window after grabbing it and run into the house straight ahead. Go in, open the door with the lock on it and you have the perfect choke point.

That's the easy way anyways.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
For me the game is about making every shot count. Precision feels good, every time. The TMP is the opposite of that. It's nice that it's there for people who want to use it, but it feels inconsistent with the game's overall design to me.
Use short, controlled bursts and its plenty accurate. Or if there is just one enemy left in an area, just fire one round into their legs and keep shooting them, one round at a time for a pretty sadistic kill. Not to mention its great for getting your accuracy up when you use it against an El Gigante. Shoot a hundred rounds or so into his belly and watch your accuracy rating soar!

chandoog said:
Disagree.

Raw power > accuracy since i have good aim (even without the stock, but the stock practically turns it into a sniper rifle). Red 9 is a powerful gun that can be used right up till the end since its exclusive makes it as powerful as a shotgun (even more).
wrong.
Blacktail fully upgraded: 4.5 damage, 0.27 firing speed. 4.5/.27=16.6667 damage per second
Red9 fully upgraded: 6.5 damage, 0.4 firing speed. 6.5/.4=16.25 damage per second

blacktail fully upgraded deals more damage per second, and drops anything faster than red9 fully upgraded. not to mantion that blacktail takes significant less space than red9. therefore blacktail is the best handgun in the game. I've beaten the game just with the fully upgraded blacktail itself

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Both suck. Matilda 4 life.
wrong. lets do the math again. matilda fully upgraded deals 2.5 damage per bullet with 3 round burst round system. it has a fire rate of 0.47. meaning theres a gap of 0.47 sec between each burst.
2.5*3/0.47=15.957 damage per second.
matilda takes up more space than blacktail, and it burns ammo way faster than blacktail.
I've tried to beat the game just with the matilda, but failed because there's not enough pistol ammo, i had to use my back up typewritter to finish the work.

back to my conclusion. blacktail is the best 9mm pistol in the game period

the TMP is great weapon, how can people hate on it?
it does 1.8 per shot with firing speed of 0.10. 1.8/0.1=18 damage per sec. more damage than any pistol in the game.
250 bullets per clip, and tons of ammo to pick up.
the gun itself takes as many blocks as the pistols (if you want the stock, its only 4 more blocks), and the ammo doesnt take a lot space either, 100 bullets per 2 blocks.

i get it everytime i play through a new game. its just too good to be missed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
wastedyears said:
Use short, controlled bursts and its plenty accurate. Or if there is just one enemy left in an area, just fire one round into their legs and keep shooting them, one round at a time for a pretty sadistic kill. Not to mention its great for getting your accuracy up when you use it against an El Gigante. Shoot a hundred rounds or so into his belly and watch your accuracy rating soar!

I'm not saying it's inaccurate. It's just my personal thing that I feel a little bit bad EVERY time I waste a bullet, and the TMP would feel like I was wasting bullets even if I never missed.

Ladyboy101 said:
the TMP is great weapon, how can people hate on it?
it does 1.8 per shot with firing speed of 0.10. 1.8/0.1=18 damage per sec. more damage than any pistol in the game.
250 bullets per clip, and tons of ammo to pick up.
the gun itself takes as many blocks as the pistols (if you want the stock, its only 4 more blocks), and the ammo doesnt take a lot space either, 100 bullets per 2 blocks.

i get it everytime i play through a new game. its just too good to be missed.

For me RE4 isn't about damage per second, it's about damage per shot! And I don't rely on pistols for damage anyway. If I want someone dead immediately, I go shotgun or sniper. If I do have to choose a pistol, Red9 is the obvious choice as it's the most powerful and therefore the most efficient.

Can't disagree that you can stock a lot of ammo with it, though.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm not saying it's inaccurate. It's just my personal thing that I feel a little bit bad EVERY time I waste a bullet, and the TMP would feel like I was wasting bullets even if I never missed.

For me RE4 isn't about damage per second, it's about damage per shot! And I don't rely on pistols for damage anyway. If I want someone dead immediately, I go shotgun or sniper.

are you sure RE4 is about damage per shot? last time I checked, everyone picks the semiauto rifle over the bolt-action sniper rifle.
also people pick the typewritter over the handcannon.
have you tried to playthrough the game with just the handcannon? it's doable, but not very enjoyable.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
hey_it's_that_dog said:
For me RE4 isn't about damage per second, it's about damage per shot! And I don't rely on pistols for damage anyway. If I want someone dead immediately, I go shotgun or sniper. If I do have to choose a pistol, Red9 is the obvious choice as it's the most powerful and therefore the most efficient.

This game is about ammo concervation to a degree. It still gives you more than enough ammo to play around and have some fun with weapons, and if you run low, the drop rate picks up to compensate. I know I always feel bad when I end the game with a pack bursting with unused ammo, even when I use such "wasteful" weapons as the TMP and Blacktail. If I use my traditional Biohazard hoarding instincts, it backfires on me before I even get back to the church in 2-1.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ladyboy101 said:
are you sure RE4 is about damage per shot? last time I checked, everyone picks the semiauto rifle over the bolt-action sniper rifle.
also people pick the typewritter over the handcannon.
have you tried to playthrough the game with just the handcannon? it's doable, but not very enjoyable.

First of all, I said that FOR ME, RE4 is about damage per shot. So, yes, I'm sure of that. I also think they designed it more around that philosophy (as there are very few rapid fire weapons in the game) but I'm not trying to argue that I know exactly what they intended.

1. I've never heard anyone NOT say the bolt-action rifle owns. I always use it because it's more thrilling to have to reload. So our anecdotes cancel out, I guess.

2. What people pick the typewriter over the handcannon? Where are you getting this data? I've been reading RE4 threads pretty intently for way too long now and I don't see that debate come up very often.

3. I have played about half the game with the handcannon, and you're right, it was boring... because it's overpowered. The Typewriter is too, and I think it would be similarly boring. What makes you think rate of fire has anything to do with whether overpowered weapons are boring or not?

Or were you trying to argue that the handcannon is slow and therefore it makes the game unenjoyably difficult to play? I don't think you're saying that because that's insane. The handcannon destroys everything, regardless of firing rate.

luka said:
This game is about ammo concervation to a degree. It still gives you more than enough ammo to play around and have some fun with weapons, and if you run low, the drop rate picks up to compensate. I know I always feel bad when I end the game with a pack bursting with unused ammo, even when I use such "wasteful" weapons as the TMP and Blacktail. If I use my traditional Biohazard hoarding instincts, it backfires on me before I even get back to the church in 2-1.

I never meant to imply that the game doesn't provide plenty of ammo regardless of your weapon choices. I was just talking about what fits better with my personal play-style and psychology. My thrills come from lining up that perfect, economical shot. The TMP doesn't serve that need as well as other weapons.

hertog

bought both with ps+.

Finsihed Resi4 2 days ago and now I'm nostalgia'ing hard with CV:X. The reason I once bought an Dreamcast. Love the new engine and I really hope Resi 6 will return to it's roots :(

Curufinwe

Barrow Roll said:
Run into the house with the shotgun, jump out the top story window after grabbing it and run into the house straight ahead. Go in, open the door with the lock on it and you have the perfect choke point.

That's the easy way anyways.

It's better to
go all the way around the outside of the shotgun house and use the choke point there. No one will attack you from behind or from the side, and if you somehow run out of ammo you can jump down and run away till the bell rings.

Ladyboy101 said:
wrong.
Blacktail fully upgraded: 4.5 damage, 0.27 firing speed. 4.5/.27=16.6667 damage per second
Red9 fully upgraded: 6.5 damage, 0.4 firing speed. 6.5/.4=16.25 damage per second

blacktail fully upgraded deals more damage per second, and drops anything faster than red9 fully upgraded. not to mantion that blacktail takes significant less space than red9. therefore blacktail is the best handgun in the game. I've beaten the game just with the fully upgraded blacktail itself.

I think the Red 9 is more stable, though.

Ladyboy101 said:
wrong.

blacktail fully upgraded deals more damage per second, and drops anything faster than red9 fully upgraded. not to mantion that blacktail takes significant less space than red9. therefore blacktail is the best handgun in the game. I've beaten the game just with the fully upgraded blacktail itself

wrong. lets do the math again. matilda fully upgraded deals 2.5 damage per bullet with 3 round burst round system. it has a fire rate of 0.47. meaning theres a gap of 0.47 sec between each burst.
2.5*3/0.47=15.957 damage per second.
matilda takes up more space than blacktail, and it burns ammo way faster than blacktail.
I've tried to beat the game just with the matilda, but failed because there's not enough pistol ammo, i had to use my back up typewritter to finish the work.

back to my conclusion. blacktail is the best 9mm pistol in the game period

It's also less cool than a burst fire pistol, so fuck yo science.

It's the same reason why people recommend the Red 9, because it's steady and has the best reload animation.

Also your math doesn't factor in how often you miss, and time taken to aim between shots. A three shot burst, unless you really suck, guarantees three shots will hit.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yoshichan said:
For some reason that guy's smarmy self-assured voice makes it even more intolerable. We get it. Lots of people don't like subjective movement control these days. How about you focus more on the quality of the port instead of telling me how I don't remember how clearly terrible this game was and how much I'll hate the controls.

Also reviewers really need to learn what "upscaling" means.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's also less cool than a burst fire pistol, so fuck yo science.

It's the same reason why people recommend the Red 9, because it's steady and has the best reload animation.

Also your math doesn't factor in how often you miss, and time taken to aim between shots. A three shot burst, unless you really suck, guarantees three shots will hit.
so blacktail is not steady huh? what?
did you consider crowd controll factor? faster firing rate = faster recover time if you misses = better crowd control
blacktail wins

if i were to make a poll right now, i guarentee you the mojority would vote for semiauto and typewriter over bolt-action and handcannon.

its a scientific fact that faster and mobile always beats the strong but immobile. thats why gengis khan could conquer entire eurasia with the most mobile army in the world at its time.

nothing in its class can beat the blacktail, so stop hatin

zerotol

Banned
I can't believe I never noticed this til now, or maybe just forgot it, but if you try to reload the Chicago Typewriter while dressed as gangster Leon, he puts his hand on his hat. If you keep pressing reload, he tosses his hat up in the air and strikes a pose.

CyReN

Playing RE4 for the first time. My only (somewhat) gripe is this over and over again.

"Is that all Stranger? He he he he he he"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha, how can you hate on the merchant guy? He's a legend buy now

CyReN

I like him but I just hate when he repeats the same thing over and over when I buy/sell stuff.

I haven't played Resident Evil since 2 on the N64 years back, is ammo always this scarce?

Made it to the Graveyard just now.

Mileena

Banned
CyReN said:
Playing RE4 for the first time. My only (somewhat) gripe is this over and over again.

"Is that all Stranger? He he he he he he"
I'll buy it at a high price!

CyReN said:
I like him but I just hate when he repeats the same thing over and over when I buy/sell stuff.

I haven't played Resident Evil since 2 on the N64 years back, is ammo always this scarce?

Nope. The game holds your hand with ammo and healing supplies unless you're on professional

Yoshichan

CyReN said:

Scarce? It's never scarce, you're probably playing it wrong (I hate to use this term, trust me!) Abuse the fact that you have invincibility-QTEs after shooting a ganado in his leg or head. When they fall on the ground, use your knife. It's overpowered.

Yoshichan

CyReN said:
Thanks for the tips.

Really enjoying the game, can't believe it took me this long to play it.
Yeah I know a lot of people who said the same thing :lol

Another tip is to constantly be switching weapons depending on the situation. If you see yourself in a bad spot and you have a bunch of ganados hugged up infront of you, switch to the shotgun, shoot once, switch back to handgun and run up to them and knife'em (or just throw a grenade on them when they're all on their back).

Curufinwe

Quick select on the D-pad would be cool, but being able to go into the menu just as a ganado starts to swing his axe at you, equip the shotgun, and go back into the game with just enough time left to fire it and blow the ganado away is awesome.

Ladyboy101 said:
so blacktail is not steady huh? what?
did you consider crowd controll factor? faster firing rate = faster recover time if you misses = better crowd control
blacktail wins

if i were to make a poll right now, i guarentee you the mojority would vote for semiauto and typewriter over bolt-action and handcannon.

its a scientific fact that faster and mobile always beats the strong but immobile. thats why gengis khan could conquer entire eurasia with the most mobile army in the world at its time.

nothing in its class can beat the blacktail, so stop hatin
so why doesn't everyone love the shit out of the TMP?

you don't use the pistol for crowd control. at least, i don't... and if i'm forced into it, i control the crowd by staggering an enemy in the crowd with one shot and then kicking them all back.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
plagiarize said:
so why doesn't everyone love the shit out of the TMP?

you don't use the pistol for crowd control. at least, i don't... and if i'm forced into it, i control the crowd by staggering an enemy in the crowd with one shot and then kicking them all back.
Well, if you're getting swamped and need to make a snap head or legshot, blacktail is much better suited for that due to it's speed. :)

Curufinwe

I loaded up my save from after the cabin fight, but I didn't have any flash grenades left so I couldn't test whether they would hurt the gigante's plaga.

Yoshichan

Curufinwe said:
I loaded up my save from after the cabin fight, but I didn't have any flash grenades left so I couldn't test whether they would hurt the gigante's plaga.
I threw two flashes at the plaga, I didn't really know how much damage it did. It still took another two QTEs to beat him afterwards.

Risible

Yoshichan said:
I threw two flashes at the plaga, I didn't really know how much damage it did. It still took another two QTEs to beat him afterwards.

I'm not sure, but based on completely unscientific testing it seems that the plagas on the Gigantes don't take damage from flashes.

In my ongoing quest to kill Ashley in her suit of armor I tried letting her get run over by the driller-killer machine driven by the two monks in the castle. Unlike when she got shot by the cannon she didn't even complain when the machine smashed into her.

The iron bars came up and she stepped out and was like "Sup Leon."

God I love this game.

Yoshichan

Hahahaha, wow!

Curufinwe said:
Any blatant lies like when they claimed RE 4 HD was based on the PS2 version?

The PS3 version references both GCN and PS2 files, and there is no evidence of any of the Wii stuff. It is based on the PS2 version. And of course, there is the PC version stuff. Where are you getting that it isn't based on the PS2 version? Oh, the water is rendered below the boardwalk alongside the cliff as you make your way from the church to the lake?

luka said:
How about you focus more on the quality of the port instead of telling me how I don't remember how clearly terrible this game was and how much I'll hate the controls.

I did. I said it was a lazy port, one Capcom should be ashamed of. The ONLY reason IMO we got CVX was because it was all in 3D and easy to update. All the other RE games would have taken too much effort.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Risible said:
In my ongoing quest to kill Ashley in her suit of armor I tried letting her get run over by the driller-killer machine driven by the two monks in the castle. Unlike when she got shot by the cannon she didn't even complain when the machine smashed into her.

The iron bars came up and she stepped out and was like "Sup Leon."

God I love this game.
:lol :lol

scitek

TSA said:
The PS3 version references both GCN and PS2 files, and there is no evidence of any of the Wii stuff. It is based on the PS2 version. And of course, there is the PC version stuff. Where are you getting that it isn't based on the PS2 version?

The PS2 version is missing the dynamic lighting of the GameCube version. If that's in, you know it's based on the GameCube version right there as the PC version didn't even have it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ladyboy101 said:

Do it. Make your poll. I'll rally the voters with good taste in weaponry.

Bolt-action for life.

scitek said:
The PS2 version is missing the dynamic lighting of the GameCube version. If that's in, you know it's based on the GameCube version right there as the PC version didn't even have it.

Running it on PCSX2 I believe actually shows the dynamic lighting is programmed into the PS2 version, it's just I believe the native PS2 hardware couldn't handle it.

Ocaso

ULTROS! said:
If you've been spoiled by the entirely new gameplay of RE4, then it might be hard to go back to the older ones (because well for one, tank controls can take some time to get used to).

I suppose this must have been pointed out somewhere at some point, but everyone is aware that RE4's controls are, with the exception of analog aiming, as tank-like as they are in the previous RE's right? Up is always forward, down is always back, movement is digital, you can't strafe, etc. It's pretty much the same RE control scheme found in RE1-RE:CV but presented with an over the shoulder camera angle. Obviously it works much better without the static camera and the analog aiming does make a world of difference, but Leon is still a tank.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TSA said:
The PS3 version references both GCN and PS2 files, and there is no evidence of any of the Wii stuff. It is based on the PS2 version. And of course, there is the PC version stuff. Where are you getting that it isn't based on the PS2 version? Oh, the water is rendered below the boardwalk alongside the cliff as you make your way from the church to the lake?

When people are talking about which version it's based on they're talking about lighting model and assets, not which extra modes are included. If you're going by modes, then yes it is the same as the PS2 version in terms of content, but that doesn't mean it's a port of the PS2 version. How does the PC version figure into it?

If you have detailed inside information about how this port was constructed people would love to hear it.

TSA said:
Running it on PCSX2 I believe actually shows the dynamic lighting is programmed into the PS2 version, it's just I believe the native PS2 hardware couldn't handle it.

It couldn't handle the effects so it just doesn't display them? And they are magically restored when you run it in an emulator? This sounds ludicrous, can some PCSX2 fanatic please elaborate?

Top Bottom