• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

SRidge52

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
RE4 was re-balanced and fixed between the North American and European GCN versions, then rebalanced again (I believe) for the PS2 version and then those changes were ported back to the Wii.

As far as definitive version of the item balance and drop rates, I always think of the NA Gamecube version as definitive because it was the first version I played. It also didn't seem to have that glitch where a dead, decapitated Ganado can still walk around for aehile before falling down which was present in the PS2 version and then appeared the Wii game.

There is no definitive version, really. Just play it on whatever machine you can and enjoy.
Not only that, but they can still grab you and harm you when it happens. Just happened to me 10 minutes ago on the XBL version.

scitek

Kinda OT, but I just made these screens of the Krauser knife fight and a little beyond with Dolphin. Shows what the resolution boost can add.

def sim

Man, did what I read really just happen? It's basically "this is what I think and YOU CAN'T CHANGE MY MIND *covers ears* LALALALALALA."

ugh

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I finished the game, great game despite the story jumping the shark. But still, RE4's story totally jumped sharked (not related to Umbrella or much about the RE series at all).

cvxfreak said:
You really think so? It's not like they
kissed like Leon and Ada did.

EDIT: Wait, I misread your post. I thought you meant the series jumped the shark because of that scene. :p

Wait...
Leon and Ada kissed? Where? I've never encountered that.

zerotol

Banned
I just finished my 3rd play through... back to back to back.. after Professional, I just wanted to blaze through it on Normal with the Chicago Typewriter. It was mostly just a quick victory lap for fun. The replay value that RE4 has is amazing.

def sim

RE4 definitely still holds up. It's a shame they didn't give us a proper anniversary edition by making a remake.

When it comes to action survival horror games, I'd say Dead Space 2 and RE4 are about equal.

Sectus

cvxfreak said:
I want to say this was in RE5 as well...
It definitely happens in RE5 as well. It even happens in the first RE if I remember correctly. I don't think you can get hurt, but the zombies will take 2-3 more steps before falling down after being decapitated.

In RE5, if you decapitate a majini while he's attacking, he'll finish the attack before falling down (you can't get grabbed like this though).

corkscrewblow said:
I'd rather REmake (and I guess they'd have to put 0 too) yea yea I know pre-rendered backgrounds but make it work somehow!
I think it's a big shame they went for CVX instead of REmake. It's only ever been released on a single platform, and it's definitely the best classic RE. It would be amazing if they re-rendered the backgrounds, but even if they didn't, it'd still look great. I replayed REmake on Dolphin earlier this year and I think it renders well at a high res:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1418-53-32-49.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1510-55-18-05.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Story spoilers again:

Since
Wesker mentioned that Steve can be revived, I can see that you use Claire in RE6 or in another mainline non-numbered RE (like CVX and Revelations) and she encounters Steve... Probably being used as an experiment and she eventually cures him and the love team reunite once more. :p

rance said:
Man, did what I read really just happen? It's basically "this is what I think and YOU CAN'T CHANGE MY MIND *covers ears* LALALALALALA."

ugh

Yup, pretty shameful coming from a "Professional" lol.
And the fact that he visited GAF to see the reactions to the review is quite hilarious as well :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ULTROS! said:
Story spoilers again:

Since
Wesker mentioned that Steve can be revived, I can see that you use Claire in RE6 or in another mainline non-numbered RE (like CVX and Revelations) and she encounters Steve... Probably being used as an experiment and she eventually cures him and the love team reunite once more. :p
Steve should be left in the canon dumpster along with Carlos and Sherry. Capcom can do better than bring them back for contrived reasons.

edit: wait...nevermind

SRCg6.jpg

ULTROS!

kamorra said:
Oh, I see thanks. I' don't see how she fits in but oh well.

Story spoiler:

She dies in the game (specified in a trailer), but will eventually "reappear".

gogogow

cvxfreak said:
Who knows, maybe that's next. Seems logical, but with RE4 not supporting Move, perhaps Capcom's a little weary on the peripheral. Nor can they port that one to 360.

I'd rather see Outbreak Revival Selection myself...
Did the Move not work properly or something in RE5 Gold Edition? I only played the demo and didn't had any problem with it.

onken

Damn did I just hit a glitch or what? I'm doing a new game on Pro, came up to my first giant fight. Grenaded him, got kicked, hit him once with the shotgun and it went to the back parasite emerging cutscene. Shot it a couple of times, jumped on and started slashing. When I get off, cutscene starts and I expect to see that dog. But no, he just keels over and dies right there. And that was it, no dog and no long fight. I felt so cheap! This happen to anyone else before?

snap0212

scitek said:
Kinda OT, but I just made these screens of the Krauser knife fight and a little beyond with Dolphin. Shows what the resolution boost can add.

I can take comparison screenshots of the Xbox 360 and PS3 version if there's interest.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Crysis has been ported to PS3/360 and will be a downloadable title. They're calling it a "remaster" even though it's worse in every way.
It's not worse in every way, though.

cvxfreak said:
For the record, I find the Wii version to be the best one. Superior Controls > HD Visuals any day of the week, for me.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

ULTROS! said:
Man...
Can't believe there's a cheesy love scene before Steve dies. This game is totally batshit crazy yet awesome.
Don't find it that cheesy. Teenage dork falls for girl over stupid reasons/out of desparation, she doesn't return the feelings.

snap0212

Melchiah said:
Yes, please do. =) It would be great if could include CVX as well.
No problem. I have my whole playthrough of RE4 recorded in 720p and I'm recording my CVX playthrough as well. :) I'm at work right now, though. :p

Is it just me or does the burning truck at the start of CODE Veronica make no sense whatsoever? How'd it get in there?! The area behind it is a tiny enclosed room. Where'd it get the velocity to crash through the wall like that? Logic fail Capcom?

Mr_Zombie

chalkitdown1 said:
Is it just me or does the burning truck at the start of CODE Veronica make no sense whatsoever? How'd it get in there?! The area behind it is a tiny enclosed room. Where'd it get the velocity to crash through the wall like that? Logic fail Capcom?
Don't bring logic to level design in RE games. Ever.

snap0212 said:
I can take comparison screenshots of the Xbox 360 and PS3 version if there's interest.
i'm interested... and take at least a few snaps of the dolphin version at 720p and at 1080p. the dolphin version will probably look worse than the 360 version at 720p... which is worth bearing in mind for anyone who is limited to that resolution by display or by performance.

Melchiah

snap0212 said:
No problem. I have my whole playthrough of RE4 recorded in 720p and I'm recording my CVX playthrough as well. :) I'm at work right now, though. :p

Wonderful! I'm especially interested how CVX compares between all the three platforms.

Dead Man Typing said:
RE4 was re-balanced and fixed between the North American and European GCN versions, then rebalanced again (I believe) for the PS2 version and then those changes were ported back to the Wii.

As far as definitive version of the item balance and drop rates, I always think of the NA Gamecube version as definitive because it was the first version I played. It also didn't seem to have that glitch where a dead, decapitated Ganado can still walk around for aehile before falling down which was present in the PS2 version and then appeared the Wii game.

There is no definitive version, really. Just play it on whatever machine you can and enjoy.
That's not a glitch, and I'm pretty sure it was in the GC version as well.

rataven

Finally got to the Regenerators last night. At 3:30am. Couldn't do it. Too scared. The buildup to these things is perfect. So terrifying, even after years of playing RE4, they still get me every time.

Risible

onken said:
Damn did I just hit a glitch or what? I'm doing a new game on Pro, came up to my first giant fight. Grenaded him, got kicked, hit him once with the shotgun and it went to the back parasite emerging cutscene. Shot it a couple of times, jumped on and started slashing. When I get off, cutscene starts and I expect to see that dog. But no, he just keels over and dies right there. And that was it, no dog and no long fight. I felt so cheap! This happen to anyone else before?

It's odd that it died that fast, usually you need to slash it much more on Pro.

However, if you kill the Gigante fast enough the dog (Hewie) won't show up. I just did it on my Pro run....I sniped the plagas and the Gigante went down so fast that Hewie never go a chance to show up and help out.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know of any good superplays of RE4 on youtube?

Not really looking for speedrun just something to remind me of some of the secrets/optional treasures Ive forgotten.

all I can find are ones with god awful commentary

Sectus

Does anyone know if it's possible to access the alternate outfits for Leon and Ada in mercenaries? In the Wii version you can hold + or 1 to access their alternate outfits. I'm curious if there's something similar in the HD version.

AndyMoogle said:
That's not a glitch, and I'm pretty sure it was in the GC version as well.

That most definitely is in the Gamecube version. Hell, I got killed by one of those headless bastards just last weekend while playing a section for comparison's sake - launch day copy of the game.

I wish this wasn't £20. Resi 4 is clearly still one of the best games ever made, but I bought it on GC and Wii so I don't feel I can pay that much for it again.

I think I'll just play the Wii version one more time. :D

I can't wait to get Code Veronica X. I've heard it has aged the worst out of any of the classic RE games, but I don't care. It's the only one of the classic REs I haven't played (besides the GCN REmake and 0).

Curufinwe

Sectus said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to access the alternate outfits for Leon and Ada in mercenaries? In the Wii version you can hold + or 1 to access their alternate outfits. I'm curious if there's something similar in the HD version.

I tried hitting every button on the character select screen and got nothing. I've only just unlocked Krauser, though, so maybe after all the characters are unlocked the extra uniforms become available.

Daigoro

bought RE4 yesterday.

holy shit! it looks amazing. plays great too once i got used to the old style controls. its all coming back to me, knifing like a pro again.

all of the slowdown from the original game seems like its in the same place so far. seems like an excellent port.

looks like the definitive version of RE4.

The Mana Legend said:
I can't wait to get Code Veronica X. I've heard it has aged the worst out of any of the classic RE games, but I don't care. It's the only one of the classic REs I haven't played (besides the GCN REmake and 0).
Its pretty much the same as other classic RE games, just a bit more backtracking. Also just remember not to leave fire extinguisher behind after using it, put it in a item box and it will help you later.

The one that has ''aged the worst'' for me is definately the original RE. Perhaps REmake has something to with this.

Top Bottom