• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

I still love all the first three Resident Evils, bought all of them from PSN as soon as they were available, to me they still play great. Its awesome that you can also transfer them to PSP and play them that way, too. People criticize PSN a lot, but being able to play PSN purchased PS1 games on PS3 and/or PSP is one thing Sony did right, that's for sure.

WTF Crapcom!?

Anyone else's audio signal for CVX constantly go in and out on their Receivers?
Only other thing that does this is the 360 dashboard from time to time

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wait, that TSA guy was the guy who did the Gametrailers review? Wow. I wish I could get paid to share blatant misinformation to my viewers!

And he still didn't change his mind/realize he was completely wrong even after coming into this thread? :\

luka

Loves Robotech S1
chalkitdown1 said:
Is it just me or does the burning truck at the start of CODE Veronica make no sense whatsoever? How'd it get in there?! The area behind it is a tiny enclosed room. Where'd it get the velocity to crash through the wall like that? Logic fail Capcom?
I'm guessing it was coming across the bridge and through the huge gate. It's still at a pretty improbable angle, and I'm not sure how a huge truck would get out of that small courtyard, but whatever. :p

Don't try to find logic in Resident Evil games. It wont end well.

...ok one thing that REALLY bothers me is that the baddies in RE4 leave details of their master plan all over the place.

scitek

Aigis said:
Wait, that TSA guy was the guy who did the Gametrailers review? Wow. I wish I could get paid to share blatant misinformation to my viewers!

And he still didn't change his mind/realize he was completely wrong even after coming into this thread? :\

How do I get that gig? My reviews are good.

Aigis said:

Well, he at least tried to redeem himself by claiming he meant the "coding" and not the graphics. I guess that could be taken as acknowledging that he was wrong with his "it's a scaled-up port of the PS2 version" crap.

The CODE:Veronica stuff is worse, however:

Mike Damiani said:
While the game is called Resident Evil Code: Veronica X HD, we're still stretching our heads over where the "HD" part comes into play. Sure, the lighting is much improved and models are sharper looking, but like Resident Evil 4 before it, the game was simply upscaled to look decent on HD TVs.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X is a basic port disguised as a major overhaul.
He is contradicting himself in one and the same sentence. Also:

TSA said:
So, that really bothers you that much? You said "straight port". The review doesn't say "straight port". It says "basic port".

demigod

Aigis said:

Someone should give that dude a title, something along the lines of *Shitty GameTrailers Reviewer*

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Napalm_Frank said:
Don't try to find logic in Resident Evil games. It wont end well.

...ok one thing that REALLY bothers me is that the baddies in RE4 leave details of their master plan all over the place.

It's a legacy of the storytelling method used in previous RE games, but it is indeed very stupidly implemented in RE4 by any logical standard. Doesn't bother me, but I see where you're coming from.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It's a legacy of the storytelling method used in previous RE games, but it is indeed very stupidly implemented in RE4 by any logical standard. Doesn't bother me, but I see where you're coming from.
That is true but is sticks out more in 4 since the baddies only really include 4 guys in a really close community and they write shit like infecting Ashley and using her to control the world and whatnot on papers and you find them in really silly places. In other resident evils its a whole company and corrupt people who are behind the scenes and the ''plans'' are presented much more subtly and never in ''haha we are taking over the world'' type of way.

Not that it matters, the games are stupid and that is part of the enjoyment.

Mr_Zombie

For people playing CVX (especially those playing it for the first time) - if you find B.O.W. Gas Granades back in the Prison (the room where Claire sends email to Leon) keep them and use them during the fight on the plane. It's the easiest and fastest way to kill the bastard. ;)

Eh, seriously. Now I know what I used to sound like yelling at Zelda reviewers. I made an observation, and I shouldn't have put the line it was based on the PS2 version. It wasn't even a main point of the review, but in the future I'll be more careful with that stuff.

Anyway, I did notice the Special1 outfits show up in the cutscenes, but not the Special2. The Wii version, Special1 outfits show up. Anyone ever figured out why the Special2 don't?

I'm going to pick up RE4HD for sure, but I don't know if RECVX is worth it, given that I still have my Dreamcast in my den and can play it at any time... :/

TSA said:
Eh, seriously. Now I know what I used to sound like yelling at Zelda reviewers. I made an observation, and I shouldn't have put the line it was based on the PS2 version. It wasn't even a main point of the review, but in the future I'll be more careful with that stuff.
know this, if you give a game a bad review that has strong defenders they will go for the juggular on any tiny mistake you make. it's just human nature. they want to discredit your opinion (because they disagree with it) and factual inaccuracies aren't debatable making an easy target.

i love the game. i get why some people are down on it, but reading your posts made me want to do the same thing... but i bit down this time and held back because for once i remembered.

plagiarize said:
know this, if you give a game a bad review that has strong defenders they will go for the juggular on any tiny mistake you make. it's just human nature. they want to discredit your opinion (because they disagree with it) and factual inaccuracies aren't debatable making an easy target.

i love the game. i get why some people are down on it, but reading your posts made me want to do the same thing... but i bit down this time and held back because for once i remembered.

Yea, I get that. My issue was that I was not specific enough in the review explaining why I thought I believed it was based on the PS2 build, and coming into this argument here with hearsay from somebody I thought was in the know (on the visual front, which was never my argument to begin with honestly). It wasn't like I just "guessed" or something as careless as that, but yeah - I get it. If somebody told me Ocarina of Time 3D was just a "basic" or "straight" N64 port, I would proceed to inform them of how that was completely false.

TSA said:
Yea, I get that. My issue was that I was not specific enough in the review explaining why I thought I believed it was based on the PS2 build, and coming into this argument here with hearsay from somebody I thought was in the know (on the visual front, which was never my argument to begin with honestly). It wasn't like I just "guessed" or something as careless as that, but yeah - I get it. If somebody told me Ocarina of Time 3D was just a "basic" or "straight" N64 port, I would proceed to inform them of how that was completely false.
next time maybe bounce it by people like us first :) CVXFreak, Dark10x and myself are pretty damn picky about how our Resident Evils look. other games you'd want to go with other people.

hell, CVXfreak is probably the premium collector / RE resource we have on GAF. from having written FAQs for most of the games to having played just about every version of every title in the franchise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
plagiarize said:
'this was pretty much the last major Resident Evil before 4 came out'.

yeah. your blood will boil.
sdsfgdshhedstrs6tsdhbxbxbxbxbxb

not watching. Thanks.

Got the PS3 version, did the original GC version have this much slow-down a well? Kind of a shame they didn't take care of stuff like that. Looks fucking phenomenal in HD though, hard to believe it's 6 years old apart from the resolution.

And it's still as much fun as it was back then.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yep, GAF got a bunch of RE-freaks and I love it. I myself is an avid collector of the RE-games, the plan is to buy every version/region of every 'solid' game before I die.

Can't wait to start looking for RE 1.5

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yoshichan said:
Yep, GAF got a bunch of RE-freaks and I love it. I myself is an avid collector of the RE-games, the plan is to buy every version/region of every 'solid' game before I die.
The difference between you and I is that I actually play every copy I buy from every region instead of leaving them sealed on the shelf. ;)

Yoshichan

luka said:
The difference between you and I is that I actually play every copy I buy from every region instead of leaving them sealed on the shelf. ;)
The difference between you and I is that you can actually play every copy you buy from every region instead of leaving them sealed on the shelf :(

Fuck buying consoles for every region!

edit: Not saying I'd open all my sealed games if I could play the games though! Why would I ever do that!!!!!!

Yoshichan said:

Can't wait to start looking for RE 1.5
someone out there has it. i'm sure of that.

Yoshichan

plagiarize said:
someone out there has it. i'm sure of that.
Mikami or Kamiya of course :/

Yoshichan

randomwab said:
Good luck with that one, bro. :lol
On top of that, I need that shit sealed.

plagiarize said:
next time maybe bounce it by people like us first :) CVXFreak, Dark10x and myself are pretty damn picky about how our Resident Evils look. other games you'd want to go with other people.

hell, CVXfreak is probably the premium collector / RE resource we have on GAF. from having written FAQs for most of the games to having played just about every version of every title in the franchise.

Well, I'm pretty well versed in gaming in general, but honestly I don't follow Resident Evil as much as some of you (I only started on RE4, then Remake, then 0, then 5, then CVX HD), though I played the crap out of RE4 and RE5, even so far as to try doing speedruns on them casually for awhile.

On the flip side, you see me calling out crap other sites get wrong on Zelda all the time because I'm a little too "well" versed in that series. I do get where you are coming from. However, I can't really discuss these games with people prior to embargo stuff. Unless you guys knew definitively and posted about it ahead of time, I can't like show you clips and stuff.

I felt I had done my homework. Like, I did read luka's rampage against the claims earlier this year that RE4 HD was based on the PS2 port based on the screens, but that was based on pre-release screens. Played through the other versions again. Also, my roommate is a pretty big RE buff himself, and he saw me playing some and was convinced it was a hybrid of the Wii/PS2 versions. I originally thought it was the PS2 source code with modifications to the graphics engine to be as close to the GCN's superior assets.

FYI - None of you go by Archleon on Cosplay.com, right? Just curious...

scitek

TSA said:
How'd you get on with GT? I've got a bunch of video reviews there that've been featured, but have no idea how to get a place like that's attention.

EDIT: I'm not really looking for specifics on how you got on there, but more suggestions on how to maybe get noticed by places like it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Exclusive'd Red9 is totally OP. It's like a weak magnum with tons of ammo. Considering selling it for the Blacktail because it's basically a win button and a bit boring. :\

--
@TSA, sorry for coming off as a bit dickish, but surely you understand where I'm coming from? When thousands of people are going to view your reviews and take them as the gospel, you should spend a bit more time researching things if you're not sure. Or hell, just ask GAF!
Before publishing the review, of course.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering TSA, is this your first time to play CVX?

Ok, first of all, PS3 slim, did not notice slowdown in the rain in chapter 2. Just finished 3-1 and haven't really noticed anything of the sort. Maybe I had good enemy distribution or maybe slims handle it better than fats?

--

Second, I just walked into the castle in 3-2. I have the Red9, shotgun, rifle, and tmp, fully upgraded until now (stock for tmp/red9, scope for rifle).

Do I want to replace any of those guns? Riot gun? Blacktail? Broken Butterfly? Help me choose wisely, GAF!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
corrosivefrost said:
Ok, first of all, PS3 slim, did not notice slowdown in the rain in chapter 2. Just finished 3-1 and haven't really noticed anything of the sort. Maybe I had good enemy distribution or maybe slims handle it better than fats?

--

Second, I just walked into the castle in 3-2. I have the Red9, shotgun, rifle, and tmp, fully upgraded until now (stock for tmp/red9, scope for rifle).

Do I want to replace any of those guns? Riot gun? Blacktail? Broken Butterfly? Help me choose wisely, GAF!

Go for Riot Gun. You'll get Broken Butterfly for free.

Yoshichan

Fuck the riot gun. Go with the standard shotgun and only upgrade the capacity (you're using the shotgun for crowdcontrol, not damage). Wait until the Strikers shows up and buy that.

Don't buy the Broken Butterfly, get it for free later on.

ULTROS! said:
Just wondering TSA, is this your first time to play CVX?

Yes it was. Mother fucking
Alexia phase 1
battle. NO HEALTH, NO AMMO, KNIFE ONLY. 42 tries, and I finally beat her. The cutscene before, when
Wesker bails on you
, I was like, "Asshole get back here! You have Neo powers and you run away?" OH! That was before damned
Steve turns into the Incredible Hulk, and I was like WTF do I do here? My strategy was I had 12 standard Grenade Launcher rounds and 6 flame. I would back away from him, fire a shot as he charged, and repeat. I had no herbs whatsoever to burn.

Nevermind the damn
Tyrant battle on the cargo plane
. SAVED before hand. Only 15 bullets for the handgun, 40 bow gun arrows (no powder), 1 green herb, and a knife. Oh yea, took about 20 tries, but I overcame. And I was repeating every Steve quote in my own stupid Steve voice throughout the game. Flagship, what did you do to RE?

Yoshichan

Alucrid said:
So I suck at RE4. Any tips?
Will quote my previous post:

Yoshichan said:
It's all about enemy awareness and map control. If you know where your enemies are and know how the map is designed, you can overcome most things in the game. Abuse the fact that you've got tons of invincibility frames when doing QTEs (shoot the leg, go for the roundhouse. You'll also get invi-frames by jumping out of an window or climbing up a ladder). This is particularly effective if you find yourself in a tight spot and need to get the hell out of there. Make sure to always check what weapons your enemies got and be sure to set your highest priorities on on those who throw things at you.

Enjoy!

edit: It's always easy to find cheesy paths and abusing dumb AI behaviors but that isn't what makes this game so fucking good. Play it the way it's meant to be played! Fast, intense and brutal!
Yoshichan said:
Another tip is to constantly be switching weapons depending on the situation. If you see yourself in a bad spot and you have a bunch of ganados hugged up infront of you, switch to the shotgun, shoot once, switch back to handgun and run up to them and knife'em (or just throw a grenade on them when they're all on their back).

Alucrid said:
Bootstraps bro... bootstraps. And dude seriously? Have you ever played any of other RE games? I thought 4 was pretty fair and balanced, except for when my friend got fucked over years ago in the double Gigante fight cause he had no ammo prior to the fight and just gave up on the game entirely :l

ULTROS!

It also helps that you shoot them on the head/leg + roundhouse/back-kick + knife them to death if you want to conserve bullets.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alucrid said:

- head shots + kicks on regular enemies to save ammo
- on above notes, always try to score suplex's on monks from chapter 3-1 onwards, because its really damaging and a death via suplex ensures the plaga does not come out.
- don't feel ashamed of using rocket launchers on bosses
- red + green + yellow herb combo's will increase your max health and restore it fully, just a point to remember.
- when you're upgrading the ammo capacity of a gun the merchant reloads it for free too, remember that for bigger guns like the magnums.

Yoshichan said:
Fuck the riot gun. Go with the standard shotgun and only upgrade the capacity (you're using the shotgun for crowdcontrol, not damage). Wait until the Strikers shows up and buy that.

Don't buy the Broken Butterfly, get it for free later on.

Shotgun has been a beast when I need to deal with chainsaw happy bitchfaces or gigantes. Should I stop upgrading the regular attributes now and only go for the capacity until the striker?

What about the semi-auto rifle? Any reason to switch out my bolt action? I know I gotta grab this L attache case, it's killing me to have the M one.

Yoshichan

corrosivefrost said:
Shotgun has been a beast when I need to deal with chainsaw happy bitchfaces or gigantes. Should I stop upgrading the regular attributes now and only go for the capacity until the striker?
Absolutely, this is a great choice.
corrosivefrost said:
What about the semi-auto rifle? Any reason to switch out my bolt action? I know I gotta grab this L attache case, it's killing me to have the M one.
The semi-auto is the sniper in the game. Don't believe the bolt action-fanboys, just sell it and upgrade the shit out of semi-auto (except for reload speed, it's worthless).

Yoshichan

Aigis said:
It depends on where in the game you're at.
Shooting enemies in the head will always work.

oh wait

Man the controls in RE4 are a lot worse than my nostalgia let me believe. I find myself struggling with that more than the actual enemies. I guess if it had more responsive controls the game would be a cakewalk though.

Top Bottom