• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Bootstraps bro... bootstraps. And dude seriously? Have you ever played any of other RE games? I thought 4 was pretty fair and balanced, except for when my friend got fucked over years ago in the double Gigante fight cause he had no ammo prior to the fight and just gave up on the game entirely :l

I mean, I played 5, but that was easy to cheese. Played one and two but that was ages ago and with friends who were better than I was. I just suck at tank controls period. :(

chandoog said:
- head shots + kicks on regular enemies to save ammo
- on above notes, always try to score suplex's on monks from chapter 3-1 onwards, because its really damaging and a death via suplex ensures the plaga does not come out.
- don't feel ashamed of using rocket launchers on bosses
- red + green + yellow herb combo's will increase your max health and restore it fully, just a point to remember.
- when you're upgrading the ammo capacity of a gun the merchant reloads it for free too, remember that for bigger guns like the magnums.

Yoshichan said:
Will quote my previous post:

Thanks. I just hope I don't run into a chainsaw guy any time soon. Fuck them so much. I miss having my infinite rocket launcher to deal with them...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man... Getting the rocket launcher in CVX is near impossible. I mean... No saves and no retries? :|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ninja Scooter said:
Man the controls in RE4 are a lot worse than my nostalgia let me believe. I find myself struggling with that more than the actual enemies. I guess if it had more responsive controls the game would be a cakewalk though.
Argh, my eyes twitch when I read this... but that's probably because I'm so damn hardcore. I need to relax but I'll type this only once (so that I'll feel better).

No game in this genre on console has this much responsive control. I'll go out and say this is perfection, in terms of raw controls. As long as you've got the awareness and know how to control your right analog stick (which is more important than your left one), you'll slaughter everything. Enemy awareness and control over the map is everything.
Alucrid said:
Thanks. I just hope I don't run into a chainsaw guy any time soon. Fuck them so much. I miss having my infinite rocket launcher to deal with them...
One blast with the shotgun so that they fall on their stomach. Switch weapons to your handgun and blast his head off with 8-9 bullets. Repeat process once more and he's out of the game.

Alucrid

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Argh, my eyes twitch when I read this... but that's probably because I'm so damn hardcore. I need to relax but I'll type this only once (so that I'll feel better).

No game in this genre on console has this much responsive control. I'll go out and say this is perfection, in terms of raw controls. As long as you've got the awareness and know how to control your right analog stick (which is more important than your left one), you'll slaughter everything. Enemy awareness and control over the map is everything.

One blast with the shotgun so that they fall on their stomach. Switch weapons to your handgun and blast his head off with 8-9 bullets. Repeat process once more and he's out of the game.

I'll try that when I meet em.

Beerstein: is there actually anything I can put in the slots or is it just vendor trash?

Treasure Maps: worth buying?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yoshichan said:
The semi-auto is the sniper in the game. Don't believe the bolt action-fanboys, just sell it and upgrade the shit out of semi-auto (except for reload speed, it's worthless).

I have never read such blatant mistruths in my life. :mad:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alucrid said:
Beerstein: is there actually anything I can put in the slots or is it just vendor trash?
Yes, three jewels but one of them is very hard to find. In fact, reading your second question makes me realize you probably haven't found any of them yet :lol
Alucrid said:
Yes. You should be opening your map once in a while, you can see where the treasures are with the maps and you'll gain a lot of money by just clearing every map. There's a lot to be found.
Papercuts said:
I have never read such blatant mistruths in my life. :mad:
THIS. MEANS. WAR. ♥

Risette

A Good Citizen
Alucrid said:
I'll try that when I meet em.

Yes and maybe. Not worth it if you're the type to comb over the environment obsessively (you'll end up finding all the treasures like that anyways), yes if you're the type who misses a lot of things.

Combine Beerstein w/ catseyes. It'll sell for a lot after that.

Yoshichan said:

Plenty of 3rd person action games in this vein have better controls, like Gears or Dead Space. I guess responsive was the wrong word. They just make it feel very sluggish. Turning, aiming, things like that, you can still feel the root tank controls. I'm not bashing the game, it's fuckin 5 years old it gets a pass on that, just that it's something that is very hard to go back to and get used to after playing the last 5 years of advanced control schemes in games.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ninja Scooter said:
Plenty of 3rd person action games in this vein have better controls, like Gears or Dead Space. I guess responsive was the wrong word. They just make it feel very sluggish. Turning, aiming, things like that, you can still feel the root tank controls. I'm not bashing the game, it's fuckin 5 years old it gets a pass on that, just that it's something that is very hard to go back to and get used to after playing the last 5 years of advanced control schemes in games.
Nope.

RE4 is entirely designed around the controls it has (game-breaking Wii controls not included) -- for all intents and purposes, they are 100% flawless.

Yoshichan

Ninja Scooter said:
Thing is, what you're saying (Dead Space having better controls etc) isn't fact! I've played through Dead Space several times and I never, ever had as much control in that game. I'm not only talking about the tank movements (which is undoubtedly this games "weakest" point in controls), I'm talking about perfect situations where you know exactly what to do and when to do it. This is where you know RE4 is perfection. The risk/reward of rushing towards 7+ ganados just to trigger that invincibility-QTE and completely dominate the map from that point. That's control. It's perfection.

Curufinwe

Ninja Scooter said:
Man the controls in RE4 are a lot worse than my nostalgia let me believe. I find myself struggling with that more than the actual enemies. I guess if it had more responsive controls the game would be a cakewalk though.

The controls are extremely responsive. You can't zoom around while shooting like in COD, but that's a different issue than responsiveness.

Curufinwe said:
The controls are extremely responsive. You can't zoom around while shooting like in COD, but that's a different issue than responsiveness.

Yeah responsiveness was the wrong word. Just lacking some of the polish and certain elements that have evolved that I guess we sort of take for granted. If the game controlled like Gears or something though, it would probably take like 20 minutes to beat though. Not to say I'm not having fun with the game, just that it was sort of a shock to go back.

Ninja Scooter said:

I'm pretty sure it was a design decision (and one I applaud, at that), because it ties in to the series roots as well as helps to induce suspense (or frustration, depending on your viewpoint, I guess). It's a hell of a lot suspenseful to deal with crazy plagas and shit when you have to choose your vantage point and then stop and pop while the crowd is coming for you. It puts an emphasis on thinking about survival instead of just run and gun mindless action. Where do you stash Ashley if she's with you, where's the most tactical vantage point for defending against the horde with whatever ammo you have left, etc.

RE4 wouldn't be RE4 without the controls. Do they take somet getting used to? Yes. Would I like to change a couple button mappings? Yes (namely R1 and L1, since I'm so used to pulling the left side to pop into aiming mode from the modern shooters). Would I change the tank-rooted controls of this game? Not on your life.

Yoshichan

Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah responsiveness was the wrong word. Just lacking some of the polish and certain elements that have evolved that I guess we sort of take for granted. If the game controlled like Gears or something though, it would probably take like 20 minutes to beat though. Not to say I'm not having fun with the game, just that it was sort of a shock to go back.
What's "controlled like Gears" though? Shoot while moving? Taking cover while waiting for the ganado to show up and then press a button to instantly gain a reward-no-risk instant kill QTE?

Argh, now I'm hating on Gears. I don't want that but I just can't compare these two.

scitek

Hah, I've to this day completed RE5 4 or 5 times and I've only ever played with RE4 controls or RE4 Wii controls. I can't play it with the new strafing setup they introduced.

Yoshichan

Seriously, CVX HD looks amazing! O_O

Yoshichan said:
What's "controlled like Gears" though? Shoot while moving? Taking cover while waiting for the ganado to show up and then press a button to instantly gain a reward-no-risk instant kill QTE?

Argh, now I'm hating on Gears. I don't want that but I just can't compare these two.

moving while aiming is one thing, but faster and more agile movement overall, faster aiming. Again, not saying I want it to "control like Gears", that would break the game, just that it was an unexpected shock to go back to RE4's controls after 5 years, since I haven't played it since it first came out.

Yoshichan

Ninja Scooter said:
moving while aiming is one thing, but faster and more agile movement overall, faster aiming.
Bolded part = Each weapon changes the aiming speed. Try the Blacktail and tell me you need faster aiming :p

ULTROS! said:
Man... Getting the rocket launcher in CVX is near impossible. I mean... No saves and no retries? :|

At least in PS2 version the save you make between Claire and Chris scenario doesn't count. I'd imagine its the same in this version. Anyway the only hard part I can think of is Chris fighting Alexia first time since she kills you with one hit if she gets close.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Yoshichan said:
Bolded part = Each weapon changes the aiming speed. Try the Blacktail and tell me you need faster aiming :p
i love this. had never realized it, but i love it. it makes the guns feel heavier, or lighter. god what a brilliant decision. i hate third person shooters where aiming will send a sick child into an epileptic fit when aiming, even if it's a giant 100 pound gun.

Sblargh

Banned
Sorry to keep hijacking the thread to ask stuff about RE5, but oh well, it's almost a resident evil game, amirite? Anyway, has anyone played it split-screen? Does it suck too much?

I think these games still hold up pretty well. Enjoying CVX a lot more now thanks to the knifing. Never tried it before and would always be out of ammo before. Have a ton of ammo now. Still get bit a lot though. Afraid of running out of healing items now.XD Did someone say the knife was nerfed? What did they do exactly? The lighting, darkness, and grain filter really add a lot to CVX. Nice to see a real water effect in there too. Really like it.

Don't really mind that they didn't change that much in RE4 except the resolution. Still one of my favorite games, and one of the greatest games of all time. I can just see it better now. :D

Aigis said:
Nope.

RE4 is entirely designed around the controls it has (game-breaking Wii controls not included) -- for all intents and purposes, they are 100% flawless.

This.

The controls might suck in general, but in the context of RE4's environment/enemy/encounter design, they're flawless. Of course, one would have to play the game a good while to notice that.

Curufinwe

Alucrid said:
I just got the Punisher. I'm assuming that should just replace the normal pistol?

Until you get the Red 9, yeah. Unless you have already spent a lot of money upgrading the default handgun. Then you should sell the Punisher.

Yoshichan

Alucrid said:
I just got the Punisher. I'm assuming that should just replace the normal pistol?
The punisher is barely an upgrade from the standard handgun so I would recommend selling it (10k mesetas) so that you can spend it on good stuff. Including the Red9.

I always ignored the red9 because it was ugly as hell... but red9 with stock is overpowered. steady aim and headshots left and right. it's saved my ass a lot of times so far.

Thank you GAF for sharing the knowledge. ;)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alucrid said:

Assuming you got it via the medallions, yeah its probably for the best, but you're not that far off from the merchant getting the best handgun of the game (red 9), so you may not want to spend moneyz upgrading it yet.
I always ignored the red9 because it was ugly as hell... but red9 with stock is overpowered. steady aim and headshots left and right. it's saved my ass a lot of times so far.

Thank you GAF for sharing the knowledge. ;)

Indeed it is. But for some reason i'm noticing that even without the stock the red9 doesn't shake as violently as it did in vanilla Re4, maybe its because of the extra pixels and screen space offered to the dot (?)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
TSA said:
Well, I'm pretty well versed in gaming in general, but honestly I don't follow Resident Evil as much as some of you (I only started on RE4, then Remake, then 0, then 5, then CVX HD), though I played the crap out of RE4 and RE5, even so far as to try doing speedruns on them casually for awhile.

On the flip side, you see me calling out crap other sites get wrong on Zelda all the time because I'm a little too "well" versed in that series. I do get where you are coming from. However, I can't really discuss these games with people prior to embargo stuff. Unless you guys knew definitively and posted about it ahead of time, I can't like show you clips and stuff.

I felt I had done my homework. Like, I did read luka's rampage against the claims earlier this year that RE4 HD was based on the PS2 port based on the screens, but that was based on pre-release screens. Played through the other versions again. Also, my roommate is a pretty big RE buff himself, and he saw me playing some and was convinced it was a hybrid of the Wii/PS2 versions. I originally thought it was the PS2 source code with modifications to the graphics engine to be as close to the GCN's superior assets.

FYI - None of you go by Archleon on Cosplay.com, right? Just curious...

This whole thing is getting pretty long winded by now, but I feel like I should clarify some things. First, you're probably 100% correct that they used the modified PS2 codebase for this port. I didn't deny that! I mean, from a development perspective it makes sense to use a base that was already modified rather than go back and once again re-engineer a highly specialized piece of software that used many GCN hardware tricks to pull off. My viewpoint was: why does that matter if the end result is a game that looks and plays nearly identical to the original? I mean, the ps2 version is nothing more than a stripped down version of the original, modified in a way so they could replace the geometry and effects with some that the hardware could handle (the PS2 has no shader units). In fact all of the original scripting for the cutscenes is still present in the PS2 code. If you remove all video files from the disc, the cutscenes will play out in real time, with camera tracking, but all sound and models will be missing because the high detail assets were removed. This works on the PC version as well. So yes, you were correct that all of the code referencing the original effects and such were still present (it won't suddenly reappear if you run it in an emulator though), but this only reinforces the fact that the PS2 port is a perfectly solid incarnation, and the restoration of the original assets shouldn't produce a less-than-accurate port.

Ultimately my criticism, like the CV review, was that of wording. When you say it's a "mere upscaling of the PS2 version," no one is going to understand where you're coming from. It's a very misleading statement and the reason people are in arms about it is for what you can see in this thread - half of it has been people asking the same questions over and over because none of the reviews can seem to keep their wording straight. No one is going to think "oh he's probably talking about the minute differences in movement speeds and hitboxes..." Like I said, the point of contention has always been the assets: geometry, textures, effects, and audio. If after repeated pro runs on every version of this game can't reveal to me any noticable differences in speed or responsiveness to the point where it affects how I play, then very few people outside of the most hardcore speedrunners will consider it an issue. I never used the el gigante lava room glitch anyway and it's really not a factor into what I consider the 'superior' version. :p

*takes a breath* That aside, I agree with you about the port job. I'm not crazy regarding my expectations; I don't expect any major upgrades or redone textures you can cut your eyes on - I only expect accuracy, everything beyond that is window dressing. I expect a port/"remaster" to be at the very least 100% identical to the original in terms of visual and mechanical preservation. Biohazard 4 HD does not achieve this. There are a few things that drive me crazy and do, in fact, make me prefer the Wii edition. Audio quality is the big one, and it's only marginally better than the PS2 port (but from what I hear the 360 version fares better). Regardless, if anyone came to me and asked which version to buy, I'd definitely point them towards the HD version. Audio issues and a few other inconsequential differences aside, it is the best version.

That's what makes the whole thing so frustrating for me. It's easily my favorite game in one of my favorite series,' made by a company who obviously no longer cares about quality or large swaths of their fanbase. After Rockman dash 3's cancellation I was extremely apprehensive about my continued patronage - in fact I wouldn't have even purchased the collection had yesasia allowed me to cancel my preorder. I'm starting to feel like I'm white-knighting them or acting like a damn PR mouthpiece, and I'm beginning to hate myself for it so I'm just going to leave it at that. :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Good post, Luka.

I finally got to the castle this evening and I'm starting to sympathize with that Eurogamer review a little bit. The large interiors that involve lots of right angle geometry on the far end of the room look really shitty. Jaggies completely undo the beauty of the overall design and all the little details. The room with Salazar's balcony was the first major offender and then the room with the upside down statues hanging from the ceiling also looks flat and jagged instead of clean and voluminous.

Congrats, Capcom, on doing the least you could possibly do for one of your best games of all time.

AiTM

Banned
Ok just a few questions. I just got ashley (hope thats not a spoiler), and I have the option to buy the Red9. Should I buy it? Read in here its the best gun in the game. Also, I remember reading that I should take her some place to jump up. Is that now or later in the game? Also, im trying to get all the achievements I can on the first playthrough. I shot the water and got that one, any other things I need to know to do for an achievement I wouldn't normally get?

kuYuri

Can someone give examples of the low quality audio? The only version of RE4 I ever played is the GC one and sound effects sound pretty much the way I remember them and I usually tend to notice these things.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Strider2K99 said:
Can someone give examples of the low quality audio? The only version of RE4 I ever played is the GC one and sound effects sound pretty much the way I remember them and I usually tend to notice these things.
Leon's commands to Ashley, and the merchant's "come back anytime"

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Strider2K99 said:
An easy example is at the very beginning when you can return to the car after it was pushed off the cliff to trigger a short cutscene. Listen to the difference in ambient noise and footstep sounds. There is a noticable increase in quality when you trigger it because the cutscenes retain the original audio tracks, while the in-game audio has been downsampled.

Fady K

Most reviews, if not all, are pegging CVX as a game RE fans cannot return to in this day and age. Ironically, CVX reminds me of how much I loved a lot of the "old school" survival horror feeling from classic REs.

It would be awesome if Capcom releases the remake of the first game though.

adamsapple

I know this is a stupid question, but they didn't bother to put in analog controls for CV, did they ?

The sound volume issue practically ruins the Docks and Village Mercenaries maps. Thanks to the full-volume-no-matter-where-they-are-on-the-map sound, it's impossible to tell via audio whether the chainsaw-wielding characters are near you or all the way across the map. You have to keep track of them visually. Totally unacceptable.

The same problem exists on the other maps, of course, but it's not as crucial since the other enemies aren't insta-kill threats.

randomwab

Do people really prefer the Broken Butterfly over the Killer7? I always get the BB for free, use it until the island and sell it once the K7 shows up. That thing, when upgraded, is a wonderful beast and by the time I get it, I always have more than enough cash to drop upgrades into it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Leondexter said:
The sound volume issue practically ruins the Docks and Village Mercenaries maps. Thanks to the full-volume-no-matter-where-they-are-on-the-map sound, it's impossible to tell via audio whether the chainsaw-wielding characters are near you or all the way across the map. You have to keep track of them visually. Totally unacceptable.

The same problem exists on the other maps, of course, but it's not as crucial since the other enemies aren't insta-kill threats.
The sound mixing is just off entirely. Like I'm on the island and the sound for the regenerator breathing was like, all the way to the left. And he was right around the corner to my right. :\

Someone needs to doubledip on the 360 ver and tell us if the audio is as messed up there as it is on the PS3 ver! :(

adamsapple

Andrefpvs said:
So I beat RE4 for the first time, what am I supposed to play first now, Separate Ways or Assignment Ada?

Assignment Ada is very small, you can beat it in less than an hour. Separate ways is the more bigger scenario that runs parallel to the main story, i'd say beat AA quick so you can get it out of your system faster.

Aigis said:
The sound mixing is just off entirely. Like I'm on the island and the sound for the regenerator breathing was like, all the way to the left. And he was right around the corner to my right. :\

Someone needs to doubledip on the 360 ver and tell us if the audio is as messed up there as it is on the PS3 ver! :(

I have the 360 version. I don't know if it's messed up in the same way, but it's messed up. I'm no sound freak, but this is a real game-breaking problem.

Risible

Druz said:
They want $20 each for these HD titles. They're out of their mind.

Gears of War 3 - $60. Hours played so far - 0.
RE4/CVX Asian box set - $45. Hours played so far - 38

See what I'm saying here? :)

legacyzero

Banned
Druz said:
They want $20 each for these HD titles. They're out of their mind.

Maybe if they had put just a little bit more effort into the games for they're "HD" return. Especially RE4.

Oh, and Gametrailers ripped CVX a new asshole in it's review. wow.

Tonza

So I did end up getting RE4 and I've been going through it the first time. I am enjoying it quite a bit. I actually ended up ordering RE5 gold edition to play after this.

For 7,5 euros (with ps+), it's a great value for me as a first-timer.

Druz

Risible said:
Gears of War 3 - $60. Hours played so far - 0.
RE4/CVX Asian box set - $45. Hours played so far - 38

See what I'm saying here? :)

But I played these games already. I play PC games, so Steam has spoiled me in the price area. If they want me to double or triple dip it shouldn't be more expensive than better games on a Steam sale.

Risible

Druz said:
But I played these games already. I play PC games, so Steam has spoiled me in the price area. If they want me to double or triple dip it shouldn't be more expensive than better games on a Steam sale.

I don't disagree with you.

However, if I may, while you have played these games already you most likely haven't played them in high def. And I will most definitely disagree with you about the "better games" part - for my money, RE4 is one of the pinnacles of video game design.

That being said, I understand opinions differ, and I can certainly see how someone might balk at that price for a six year old game.

Top Bottom