• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
krakov said:
Must be tense dealing with regenerators. I can't really think of a scenario in the game where the damage of the rifle is important.

Regenerators get stunned when you shoot the plagas, which lasts long enough to get back to the zoom view before they recover.

I also don't need headshots at all, I just instant kill in the body. It's another Red9 > Blacktail scenario for me, I don't need the speed when I have the power.

Papercuts said:
I also don't need headshots at all, I just instant kill in the body. It's another Red9 > Blacktail scenario for me, I don't need the speed when I have the power.
B-but, why would you forgo popping heads when it's so damn satisfying in this game?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
B-but, why would you forgo popping heads when it's so damn satisfying in this game?
Pb9BQ.jpg

you were just baiting for that, weren't you ;)

Daigoro

corrosivefrost said:
I'm pretty sure it was a design decision (and one I applaud, at that), because it ties in to the series roots as well as helps to induce suspense (or frustration, depending on your viewpoint, I guess). It's a hell of a lot suspenseful to deal with crazy plagas and shit when you have to choose your vantage point and then stop and pop while the crowd is coming for you. It puts an emphasis on thinking about survival instead of just run and gun mindless action. Where do you stash Ashley if she's with you, where's the most tactical vantage point for defending against the horde with whatever ammo you have left, etc.

RE4 wouldn't be RE4 without the controls. Do they take somet getting used to? Yes. Would I like to change a couple button mappings? Yes (namely R1 and L1, since I'm so used to pulling the left side to pop into aiming mode from the modern shooters). Would I change the tank-rooted controls of this game? Not on your life.

you can change this. in game, controller options. you have the choice of two settings. one of them maps L for aim and R for shoot.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Prime Blue said:
So they updated the pre-rendered images as well:

XoOgD.gif

Hope Claire at least washed that outfit before they went shopping...
So they could be bothered with doing an updated render for the win screens, but couldn't be bothered for the prerendered video? :(

Curufinwe

Daigoro said:
you can change this. in game, controller options. you have the choice of two settings. one of them maps L for aim and R for shoot.

Indeed. There is even a picture of the control options in the OP that shows this.

Dirtyshubb said:
Picked up Code Veronica on Friday and been really enjoying playing it again, looks much better then I remember it (thanks to upgrade) and I really don’t understand the complaints about it being too dark, have no problem at all.

Also does anyone know if 4 and CV are sharable on PS3? A friend of mine got 4 and wants to try out CV so I figured we could do a swap if its possible but wanted to check on here first.
RE4 is shareable. I'm assuming CVX is too.

Crewnh said:
RE4 is shareable. I'm assuming CVX is too.
Thanks for the confirmation, gonna arrange for us to swap at some point.

Sad to say I never actually played 4 properly at the time for reasons that seem famous now in that Capcom seemed to make the game more action orientated rather then a nice mix of action/puzzle but all I ever hear about 4 is great things so I am interested in playing it.

If I enjoy 4 I may end up playing 5, I tried out the demo but the controls were annoying but I thought the same of Dead Space in the demo and put off playing that for ages till I decided to buy it cheap and ending up loving it so I will see.

Dreamer RD

I want RE4 ganado quotes on mobile phone ringtone. Can someone please tell how to rip them from game? Need Don Jose figure's "De traste ti, imbecile!" (lol something like that)
Although every ganado quote is hilarious, so all of them wouldn't hurt XD

Ellis Kim said:
So they could be bothered with doing an updated render for the win screens, but couldn't be bothered for the prerendered video? :(
to be fair, updating a screen is a lot easier than updating an entire video. hd versions of the prerendered cutscenes would have been nice though.

Melchiah

I joined the Plus club today, and bought both REs. Eventhough I originally though about skipping RE4, as I'm more fan of old school REs, but as it was only 10€ I couldn't resist. Not to mention, that the discount will be over tomorrow. Now only if I could get to play CVX, It's taken 9-10 hours to download the 4697MB file on my 40MB/2MB connection.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Barrow Roll said:

Because unless it's a suplex head pop it isn't worth it!

I just started Seperate Ways for the first time and god dammit capcom. These cutscenes look like SHIT, clearly the PS2 version. Why the fuck aren't these in HD? Half of them are the same cutscenes from the core game, but they look ten times worse.

Also, the enemies are a lot harder in this mode for sure. It's a pretty drastic difference.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm having a hard time killing
Alexia
in Battle Mode with Chris. :/

Melchiah

chalkitdown1 said:
God damn, those yellow stretchy armed cunts in Code Veronica annoying.

Bow works well against them if they're far from you. If they're near I recommend grenade launcher. One shot kills with flame rounds, two shot kills with explosive rounds. I haven't tried acid rounds yet.

Just reached the antarctic base, and I'm already dreading the corridor, which is infested with those poisonous insects that just piss me off. And of course you have to go through the corridor several times.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mr_Zombie said:
Yes! :D
I want a HD version of this, pretty please. :)
Indeed, I'd pay a lot for that ._.

MattJon said:
Got that linear launcher tonight. The updated clear battle mode art, in super iPhone camera quality
Thank you! Comparison screenshots:

Note that the old ones are from the original CODE:Veronica, so Leonardo DiCaprio hair for Steve and no fire for Wesker.

BT8Ft.gif

u1JfS.gif

yWQtM.gif

culPR.gif

9CqlW.gif

cvxfreak

Black Republican said:
i have both consoles so i wanted to know, which version of Veronica X runs better?

I've beaten both the 360 and PS3 ones -- I vote 360 on looks, and it has less slowdown in my situation.

I love the Red9! :D

Up to 4-1 now, it's taken me 8.5 hours... :/

Stuck at a part where the two big things with claws are chasing me around.

cvxfreak

Napalm_Frank said:
I didn't encounter any slowdown on PS3 CVX :/.

I only encountered it in both versions when trying to shoot things with the Submachine Guns -- notably the Hunters and Gulp Worm. Can't be a coincidence, can it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a full list of changes between Normal and easy mode? I'm watching a friend play and my mind was blown when I realised the hedge maze was completely cut-off, as was th suit of armor fight.

So I’ve been on holidays for 5 weeks and have missed a lot of info on RE4, so I’ve got a few questions:

1. Overall just how good does the game look? I know it’s not true HD...but does it still look impressive?
2. Are the jaggies gone?
3. Is this a port from the Gamecube/Wii edition?
4. I’ve heard that the game has some effects missing? Is that true?
5. Is Separate Ways still graphically inferior to the main game or did they clean it up?
6. Any differences between the 360 and PS3 version?
7. Is this port worth the money?

Tricky I Shadow said:
So I’ve been on holidays for 5 weeks and have missed a lot of info on RE4, so I’ve got a few questions:

1. Overall just how good does the game look? I know it’s not true HD...but does it still look impressive?
2. Are the jaggies gone?
5. Is Separate Ways still graphically inferior to the main game or did they clean it up?
1. looks good, but not true HD, 30fps, no AA, texture is original stretched to 720p, CGs look like shit (seperate ways, original ps2 480p stretched to 720p)
2. no AA
3. it's a wii port, without motion control
4. i dont see any missing effects, what are you talkin about?
5. still bad, and its even badder
6. no
7. dont import the japanese garbage. download american version.

Curufinwe said:
OP answers most of those questions.

LOL, so it does!

Anything else I should know before I get it on the 360?

I think someone mentioned that the cut-scenes aren't in game anymore. Please tell me it’s not true?

And the Gamecube version had some minor slowdown too.....is this version worse or just the same?

EDIT: Thanks Ladyboy.

Yoshichan

Tricky I Shadow said:
And the Gamecube version had some minor slowdown too.....is this version worse or just the same?
There are some framerate problems in specific parts of the game (especially the early ones).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Tricky I Shadow said:

2. Are the jaggies gone?

It is true HD in that 720p is an HD resolution. People who are saying it's not really in HD are using an idiosyncratic definition of the term. It's natively rendered in 720p. That's it. That's what makes it HD. That said, I wouldn't call it impressive. I'd call it cleaner and nicer on an HDTV, but generally not impressive image quality.

There are jaggies, lots in the castle. There is no AA, which is pretty lazy of Capcom in the opinion of many.

The assets and lighting appear to be from the Gamecube version.

The only effect that is missing is something that makes certain things look slimy. A specular thing of some sort.

Haven't played separate ways yet.

Differences between the versions seem to be negligable, though there are anecdotal reports that the 360 version has less slowdown. The slowdown is usually so minor and short-lived that many people probably aren't noticing it at all (on both platforms) so it's hard to get a good sense of which version really has it worse, if any.

If you love this game, the port is worth the money. If you have a previous version already and you are happy with how it looks, maybe this one isn't worth it. Can't really answer this question for you.

Thanks for the answers guys! : )

Seems like Capcom could have done a lot more with the port, but at the end of the day it’s still a prettier looking Resident Evil 4 (aka the pinnacle of videogames), and that’s enough for me.

**goes to buy the 360 version**

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The only problem with Separate Ways are the cutscenes, they weren't fixed (unlike the main story cutscenes, they were fixed for 720 resolution).

cvxfreak

ULTROS! said:
The only problem with Separate Ways are the cutscenes, they weren't fixed and they were just upscaled (unlike the main story cutscenes, they were fixed for HD resolution).

It was like watching VHS for the first time in 12 years.

Redd

Wow forgot how difficult the IT boss and second Krauser fight used to be. Was breezing through the game for the most part until then. -_-

Redd said:
Wow forgot how difficult the IT boss and second Krauser fight used to be. Was breezing through the game for the most part until then. -_-

I am the opposite with Krauser. Back in the day I had no idea how to use the knife against him --- then it finally clicked years after

Started my professional run of the RE4 for dat last trophy. Ganados sure make a lot more damage but the start wasn't too hard. Im worried about the bosses and castle part tho, especially Verdugo and later part.

Im gonna go with Red9, TMP, Bolt Action and Striker tune ups and hope I'll manage.

onken

Napalm_Frank said:
Started my professional run of the RE4 for dat last trophy. Ganados sure make a lot more damage but the start wasn't too hard. Im worried about the bosses and castle part tho, especially Verdugo and later part.

Im gonna go with Red9, TMP, Bolt Action and Striker tune ups and hope I'll manage.

Verdugo is easy, just buy the XL case and keep hold of the rocket launcher you find in the castle. Boom.

"IT" takes a lot of bullets on Pro, though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Purchased RE4 yesterday. Between this, Dark Souls, and God Hand on PSN, my PS3 is now 100% safe from being sold like I intended about a week ago.

6216382600_b3cfe5d7d2_z.jpg

Dat assmosphere

Daigoro

finished Sperate Ways for the first time ever today. never had the Ps2 version. it was fun. pretty cool to go through an alternate version of RE4.

Napalm_Frank said:

i started mine today too. i forgot how much faster the Ganado's are too. they are a lot harder to pull off headshots on.

just have the Pro run and the Del Lago achievement to get (missed on my normal run lol). maybe some speed runs down the line.

Top Bottom