• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

bumpkin

Not to try and ignite a console war-ish debate, but has there been any consensus on which is the better version (360 or PS3)? Are they identical?

Risible said:
My copy is due to arrive from Play Asia in a few days.

I've played this on every platform it has been available for and I'm STILL excited to play it again when it arrives. This will be something like my 10th playthrough of the game. Is that sad? :)
If it is then I'm not the guy to ask. Cause my copy is on its way from playasia and I've beaten the game on every platform its been released on. Hell I own it on every platform its been releases on.

Will be downloading the 360 versions in a few weeks.

madmook

onken said:
OK here's my video of the first 11 minutes, though it's not direct feed. But I think it's a bit more interesting to watch than the one above because it skips boring stuff and has the village siege scene, plus you get world-class commentary from yours truly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZfApcPx478
Haha some nice incendiary and grenade clusters there.

Also, I noticed the headshots seem more... visceral? I messed around with the PS2 version recently, and don't recall the audio and gore effects being so pronounced... don't remember what the GC version was like, it's been so long.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
bumpkin said:
Not to try and ignite a console war-ish debate, but has there been any consensus on which is the better version (360 or PS3)? Are they identical?

They're never identical.

StuBurns

Banned
bumpkin said:
Never be hesistant to ask that question, it's totally valid, and fuck anyone who complains about it.

But I think the answer is we don't know yet though. The PS3 versions seem about as middling as imaginable, so the 360 ones almost certainly will not be worse.

EDIT: Apparently we do, nice, although that's bad news really.

Danny Dudekisser

StuBurns said:
Never be hesistant to ask that question, it's totally valid, and fuck anyone who complains about it.

But I think the answer is we don't know yet though. The PS3 versions seem about as middling as imaginable, so the 360 ones almost certainly will not be worse.

EDIT: Apparently we do, nice, although that's bad news really.

Wait, we do know which version's better? Because I certainly don't :(

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Which version do you have?

Stupid question: how does the PC version fare in comparison?
It compared well. The PC version is also locked at 30 fps and is a port of the inferior PS2 version.

It can run at higher resolutions and with AA though.

madmook

Chacranajxy said:
Wait, we do know which version's better? Because I certainly don't :(
Based on the short vids made thusfar (see post 302 for the 360 version, and onken's vid for the PS3 version), they appear to be pretty much identical.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They sound like great ports as the GC and Wii versions both suffered from terrible color dithering while being superior in every other way. If the HD version is based on the GC original but eliminates all of its visual flaws, we should have a winner.

chemicals

Code Veronica is my favorite game in the series (I played it - like any good gamer - on a Dreamcast) and I've never had the pleasure of playing RE4 yet, so I'm pretty psyched about both of these suckas.

StuBurns

Banned
chemicals said:
Code Veronica is my favorite game in the series (I played it - like any good gamer - on a Dreamcast) and I've never had the pleasure of playing RE4 yet, so I'm pretty psyched about both of these suckas.
Something about this doesn't fit...

onken

lowhighkang_LHK said:
This may sound random, but it looks like your TV is overscanning the image. I could be wrong. Do you have overscan set to off? You should if you haven't. Sometimes you have to set it to just scan or 1:1 pixel, as opposed to 16:9

I'm probably just seeing things. EDIT: Actually, the HUD on the bottom right is way too close to the corner, so you're TV is overscanning the image I think. I honestly still can't believe TV's still default to that overscan on bullshit.

Oh believe me I am well aware of the woe of overscan. As it happens, my TV is quite old and it only lets you turn off over scan completely in 1080p mode, so yes normally there would be overscan here as the game runs in 720p. But this collection actually has a really nice screen-size slider which I made sure to adjust so there really shouldn't be any in that video... perhaps the hud has just been moved out for this version?

onken said:
Oh believe me I am well aware of the woe of overscan. As it happens, my TV is quite old and it only lets you turn off over scan completely in 1080p mode, so yes normally there would be overscan here as the game runs in 720p. But this collection actually has a really nice screen-size slider which I made sure to adjust so there really shouldn't be any in that video... perhaps the hud has just been moved out for this version?

Yeah, older hdtvs can be annoying. A lot of the newer models have overscan off, since the quality of broadcasts have improved there is no reason for it anymore.

And thats right, you're on ps3. I'd imagine the 360 version would let you play it on 1080p then.

LiquidSolid said:
You're probably thinking of Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. I'm pretty sure they haven't said a thing about it in relation to RE4 HD or RECVX HD apart from Sven's vague answers which seem to point towards yes.

Exactly what i'm hoping isn't true as this would be a no buy. Don't think they're THAT stupid though. Still, I'll wait for final confirmation instead of blindbuying ala Final Fight: DI

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sullichin said:
Am I going to spend $20 to play Resident Evil 4 AGAIN?

...Fuck.

If you have PS+, you'll be spending $10 only.

K' Dash

Sullichin said:

...Fuck.

This is the fourth iteration I'm gonna buy:

GameCube: $80
PS2: $80
Wii: $30
360: $20

Last generation I had to buy games here, this generation I've been importing all my games from Amazon USA.

Risible

Sullichin said:

...Fuck.

I just spent $50 to play it again and have the pleasure of getting an actual disc with it so don't feel too bad :).

I have what most would probably consider to be a stupid question--the answer of which will help me decide which version I'm getting.

Is there a difference in image quality/clarity when playing a game via component cables vs. HDMI? My PS3 is quiet, plugged in (it's the only console that I keep out, as desk space is limited and I use it to watch movies), and displays it's image via HDMI. The 360, on the other hand, is loud, old, and uses component cables. I still feel inclined to buy these games on 360 despite logic and good sense indicating otherwise.

.la1n

dark10x said:
They sound like great ports as the GC and Wii versions both suffered from terrible color dithering while being superior in every other way. If the HD version is based on the GC original but eliminates all of its visual flaws, we should have a winner.

I don't think we ever got official word on where this was ported from. Not sure we will ever know either unless I missed something.

RedSwirl

Ladyboy101 said:
no platinum
no move support
no AA
no 60fps

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

How do we know that it has no platinum?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
RedSwirl said:
How do we know that it has no platinum?

onken said:
Some very quick initial impressions for RE4

-no platinum trophy
-only 2 controller configurations, type 1 is the same as the original, type 2 just moves ready to L1 and fire to R1. ARGH BOTH AIM WITH THE LEFT STICK, feels really weird.
-real time cutscenes!!!! definitive version confirmed
-looks like 720p, no AA
-30fps
-does a have a screen-size slider for no-bordery goodness
-looks pretty good, textures aren't too bad
-subtitle font is the original low-res one blown up, looks pretty lol
-censoring is in, no decaps (for this version anyway)
-no XMB music

Onken's got the retail version of the game, plus there was no platinum mentioned in the PS3 trophies site.

RedSwirl

Okay.

Don't care about 30fps since that's how the game was made. Same with the controls. Updating them could break the game. Move support would have been nice but I can still play RE4 with an analog stick. It's just such a well-crafted game. AA isn't really a dealbreaker. I am still a bit intrigued as to what ammo economy they're using though.

Too bad about jpan versions being completely in, ya know japanese. Would totally buy those versions instead ...then again, I have the PSNs versions of 1, 2, and 3 anyway...

StuBurns

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Okay.

Don't care about 30fps since that's how the game was made. Same with the controls. Updating them could break the game. Move support would have been nice but I can still play RE4 with an analog stick. It's just such a well-crafted game. AA isn't really a dealbreaker. I am still a bit intrigued as to what ammo economy they're using though.
Move doesn't break it, but aiming with the right stick would? No. If that game was designed today it would have had aim on the right stick, as SotD and Vanquish do.

I've never understood the love for the Wii version, yes, you can aim easier, the whole concept of the game was the tension in having to aim the way it does. It was perfect as it was.

madmook

Jimmy Stav said:
I have what most would probably consider to be a stupid question--the answer of which will help me decide which version I'm getting.

Is there a difference in image quality/clarity when playing a game via component cables vs. HDMI? My PS3 is quiet, plugged in (it's the only console that I keep out, as desk space is limited and I use it to watch movies), and displays it's image via HDMI. The 360, on the other hand, is loud, old, and uses component cables. I still feel inclined to buy these games on 360 despite logic and good sense indicating otherwise.
Kinda dependent on the tv because component is analog whereas hdmi is digital, but in general no there shouldn't be much difference between component and hdmi if they're both outputting an hd image (i.e. 720p).

madmook said:
Kinda dependent on the tv because component is analog whereas hdmi is digital, but in general no there shouldn't be much difference between component and hdmi if they're both outputting an hd image (i.e. 720p).

Too bad. I was hoping HDMI would win out to make things easier. My mind says PS3, but my heart says 360. :/

Mrbob

Does Code Vernoica still hold up in this day and age?

Glad they are available separately and digital in the USA. At the moment I think I'll just get RE4 off of PSN.

RedSwirl

StuBurns said:
Move doesn't break it, but aiming with the right stick would? No. If that game was designed today it would have had aim on the right stick, as SotD and Vanquish do.

I've never understood the love for the Wii version, yes, you can aim easier, the whole concept of the game was the tension in having to aim the way it does. It was perfect as it was.

Not that, but things like moving while shooting, strafing, etc. Honestly I played RE5 with the oldschool control scheme. Sidestepping added absolutely nothing to the game for me.

Danny Dudekisser

Mrbob said:
Does Code Vernoica still hold up in this day and age?

Glad they are available separately and digital in the USA. At the moment I think I'll just get RE4 off of PSN.

It hasn't aged as well as say... REmake, which still looks pretty incredible... but it's still a very enjoyable game. I can enjoy it as much now as I did back in the day after giving my eyes a minute to adjust.

Risible

plagiarize said:
If it is then I'm not the guy to ask. Cause my copy is on its way from playasia and I've beaten the game on every platform its been released on. Hell I own it on every platform its been releases on.

Internet high five! Bro-fist!

StuBurns

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Not that, but things like moving while shooting, strafing, etc. Honestly I played RE5 with the oldschool control scheme. Sidestepping added absolutely nothing to the game for me.
I don't think anyone is asking for that, but yeah, I too wouldn't want it in this. In RE6 maybe.

Curufinwe

Barrow Roll said:
I have never bought any avatar clothing/props or paid for any themes and gamerpics, but this... I may just cave for this.

I spent 80 points on a Philadelphia Flyers picture pack (and don't regret it) but this may well be the first and last Avatar outfit I ever purchase.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Krauser Kat said:
PS2 also had different upgrade paths for weapons. The red9 was way stronger and so was the bolt action.

Actually, I think it was the Blacktail that they made stronger in the PS2 version (since the Red9 made the Blacktail kind of obsolete). If I remember correctly, there were three different damage variations for the weapons: Gamecube, PS2 Japan, PS2 American... I think? Maybe? It's been a while.

Top Bottom