• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

dork

Banned
dwin45 said:
What exactly are the complaints concerning running and grenade distance?

I think they both seem fine Of course your guy will stop running if he hits something..wouldnt you?

Apparently people think you can run straight off things like in cartoons and not lose momentum.

The grenades seem perfect to me, this isnt crackdown

then again, what do i know. I only played like 20 minutes of RFom1

GodofWine

thuway said:
I really want this game to succeed, this is why I am hoping people will hammer on about what they don't like in the game. Insomniac has a pedigree of making some amazing games that just fall short of greatness, hopefully with this beta they can flesh out the small stuff and purport it into greatness.

Oh and any impressions on graphics - likes / dislikes? I wish that damn kittonwy was here, he always had a knack for criticism.

For a 60 player , lag free environment, they are excellent. Until we see the single player full polygon / effects etc, will be hard to judge. I'd say the mutltiplayer graphics in R2 are better than the single player graphics in R1.

Have I gushed about the subway level yet? if not...I LOVE that map....my wife hates the beta because I sneek away A LOT to play...

Teknoman

dork said:
I think they both seem fine Of course your guy will stop running if he hits something..wouldnt you?

Apparently people think you can run straight off things like in cartoons and not lose momentum.

The grenades are fine to me. I've dotted lots of people with the hedgehog, airfuel, and frag from afar, around corners, or on top of chicago rooftops from the street level. Havent had any running problems yet though (like stopping on stairs).

oneHeero

Spy said:
oneHeero what's your PSN ID? I'd like to see how well I do with good players. I pretty much exclusively play deathmatch games on the Resistance 2 beta and almost consistently come in 1st place but I'm sure the story will be different playing with people who aren't new to the game.

My PSN is Rexram.
PSN Wise_

Anyone can add me, just be warned that we do act stupid in terms of cussing etc. I'll ask my friends to tone it down in terms of shit talking, they do it to act dumb and arent neccessarily like that, but we get hype sometimes lol :p

The grenades are fine to me. I've dotted lots of people with the hedgehog, airfuel, and frag from afar, around corners, or on top of chicago rooftops from the street level. Havent had any running problems yet though (like stopping on stairs).

Grenades dont have the same distance or animation like in R1. R1 had great nades but you could really get destroyed by them on Mall. I dont like Air Fuel grenades I cant tell when they go off :\

Firewire

Banned
dork said:

The grenades are really screwed up compared to R1. I don't even want to bother using them in the R2 beta.

Some questions regarding co-op: Is two player co-op even possible or was it built with 8 players in mind? As in...is it beatable with two players if just my friend and I wanted to play together with no one else? (Are the enemy difficulty/numbers scalable based on how many players are in the game)

Also are there going to be more classes in the final game? Or Soldier, Medic, and Spec Ops are the final 3 classes?

Spy

oneHeero said:
PSN Wise_

Anyone can add me, just be warned that we do act stupid in terms of cussing etc. I'll ask my friends to tone it down in terms of shit talking, they do it to act dumb and arent neccessarily like that, but we get hype sometimes lol :p

Doesn't bother me at all, I'm the same way...in real life. I could use my Playstation Eye as a microphone but I really have to go buy that SOCOM headset.

Dante

After putting more time in last night, the only thing that really bothers me is Catching on fire. It seems to happen way to easliy, I noticed a ton of people catching on fire and not knowing what was damaging them. I don't think it would hurt to have a prompt on the screen to shake the controller when you are on fire, or just make it more difficult to catch on fire.

oneHeero

Spy said:
Doesn't bother me at all, I'm the same way...in real life. I could use my Playstation Eye as a microphone but I really have to go buy that SOCOM headset.
By all means you can add me, I started playing yesterday(thx to a generous gaffer) and played for a few hrs, my clan mantes were leagues ahead of me but once I got the hang of it, I felt comfortable with them. Socom headset is sex, although on R2 there is a delay and you can hear it I always hated that about the BT headset. In Socom it seems non existent, pretty critical in games like socom/cod where more sneaking and strategy is needed and needed FAST.

I'll be on tonight for sure, but probably not till 8:30/9pm Central(wife and baby let me be :p)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't get what the problem is with the grenades? How are they different from R1?

womfalcs3

Banned
oneHeero said:
Grenades dont have the same distance or animation like in R1. R1 had great nades but you could really get destroyed by them on Mall. I dont like Air Fuel grenades I cant tell when they go off :\

I used to throw A/F grenades from the bottom floor of one end of the map all the way to the upper floor of the other end (That room up top that has two entries/exists).

Nothing gave me more satisfaction that A/F grenade kills. You knew you were gonna die for a second too... then bam. Dead.

oneHeero

Seiken said:
I don't get what the problem is with the grenades? How are they different from R1?
Animation look good and they had way better distance. I havent tested them much since there arent pickups just what you have(so less ways to test it). In R1 you can launch them far and they'd blow up on contact. On here you cant reach that bitch sniper camping in the back with 4 friends and you face a uphill battle. Like on Docks(20p?) when your near the tower area and they are sniping from the back where you spawn. You either can snipe back or go uphill with a carbine/w.e. If nades where like in R1 I could launch one and hit them(we had great naders on r1, some of the best easily)

I used to throw A/F grenades from the bottom floor of one end of the map all the way to the upper floor of the other end (That room up top that has two entries/exists).

Nothing gave me more satisfaction that A/F grenade kills. You knew you were gonna die for a second too... then bam. Dead.
On R1 fuck yea, but on R2 I never see them detonate. I havent used them much though so who knows.

dwin45

Just played a few deathmatches. Why is the shotgun so weak? It's next to impossible to kill someone with even at very close range.

Firewire

Banned
Seiken said:

They don't have the distance or the accuracy. Its basically dumbed down grenades for those without the skill to use them properly. "Target Bomber" in R1 was an art form of sorts, that's gone in R2.

And the animation for it is well, weak. Not that the animation is important in terms of using the grenade.

Ploid 3.0

Teknoman said:
I just dont like it when a game turns into a pick up spawn camp fest. Never had the chance to play with GAF in R1, but each game I ran into on my own was a bullesye tag fest, or just someone running around with the LARK all day.

If you're going to have pick ups, at least give the most powerful weapons limited ammo count on the map.

Yea that kind of stuff was a real buzz kill. At least the redeemer in UT had a very limited ammo count, and a very limited respawn. The spawn point was even hard to get to and it pretty much exposed you on your way to it (iirc).

Erebus

BeeDog said:
I'm bummed that Play.com sent nonworking codes (at least mine doesn't work). Where do you guys read that they've sent old codes etc.? Also, how does one get in touch with them to tell them of their/Sony's fuckup?

Mine doesn't work either, WTF?!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow... that's a huge minus for me. The grenades were so fucking addicting and awesome in R1, I swear many times I've just started the game just to start owning people with grenades.

Fuck.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
No Play.Com codes will work today. SCEE had some unexpected issues when they sent the beta out.

They will start their beta tomorrow.

M3Freak

Banned
oneHeero said:
In terms of need tons of bullets to kill someone, thats false. R1 took 11-12 shots to the head to drop someone. This game feels the exact same. I get dropped so fast at times its ridiculous. The carbine is a beast again(Pbeta it sucked). Marksman turned out a lot better, its R2's BR(halo).

False or not, it feels like it's taking more shots to down a guy than in RFoM. Others on the clan (at least the ones I'm playing with) agree. ::shrugs::

dwin45

M3Freak said:
False or not, it feels like it's taking more shots to down a guy than in RFoM. Others on the clan (at least the ones I'm playing with) agree. ::shrugs::
Agreed. I never played R1, but I still don't understand why all the guns feel so weak.

Teknoman

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yea that kind of stuff was a real buzz kill. At least the redeemer in UT had a very limited ammo count, and a very limited respawn. The spawn point was even hard to get to and it pretty much exposed you on your way to it (iirc).

Right. It should feel like an achievement that you made it to an immensely powerful weapon spawn point, and can procede to eradicate everything in your path for a limited amount of time.

Not to start a fight or anything...but Gears (probably since it's also by Epic) managed to do powerful picks nicely in my book. That being said, I still like the duo weapon system in R2 more than R1.

As far as grenades go, I didnt really use them much (aside from hedgehog and air fuel) in Resistance 1, but the distance seems fair to me. If I can throw a grenade onto a chicago map roof without much effort and with decent accuracy, im not complaining.

I like the "extended" amount of time before you die. In Resistance 1, it was Bullseye tag -> 2 seconds -> dead. You still die pretty fast here as well, yet you feel like you at least have a fighting chance. Also I like the life meter better than the whole black and white death thing.

oneHeero

M3Freak said:
I doubt you or gaf clan sucks given your experience on r1, but I cant see the difference. I hate it because I think I go down way to fast. B4 on R1 I could get way by running away or turn around and win the gunbattle, but now I go down so fast. Maybe it was the guys I was playing w/ being so good but I think its the same. I have literally taken 2 and sometimes I swear it seemed like 3 guys down on 1 clip(carbine). It feels so good when it happens. Marksman feels like it takes alot but its exactly like the BR(IMO) I had problems using both guns and I would get owned by the BR. You just need skill to use the marksman.

M3Freak

Banned
dwin45 said:
Agreed. I never played R1, but I still don't understand why all the guns feel so weak.

I'm a "glass is half full guy". Even though I'm complaining, I hold out hope that the public beta we're playing is an older build, and patches after release address the glaring problems.

I think I'll still have fun, but just not as much as with RFoM. I may also not play it as much.

JB1981

oneHeero said:
COD was to easy(IMO) so it got old after so much time for me. Resistance 2 is easily better imo. I played H3 for a month, I like R2 more. Halo is just the samething and a lot less likable maps for me.

Those are the only other shooters worth mentioning lol. Rainbow Six sucked balls, both 1 and 2. I love WH but I dont categorize it with Halo/Cod/R2 due to planes, tanks, and what not.

Competitively, we gb all the time, we matched up against a rival last night and smacked him up to where he camped with fareye and than a couple of my boys smacked him up there. Last few rounds got really close though and you could feel that competitiveness(lol) that we felt from R1. It felt good and we will def be on R2 competing.

In terms of gameplay, you can say that. Some minor changes could be made later, but we need the to play the retail version to find those things. As of now run and grenades are the only problems imo. Grenades need to be like R1 and running needs that fix.

I think it's a good time but both COD 4 and Halo have better gameplay and much, much, much better designed multiplayer maps.

oneHeero

JB1981 said:
I think it's a good time but both COD 4 and Halo have better gameplay and much, much, much better designed multiplayer maps.
COD doesnt have better gameplay imo. Its just to easy. than again I'm talking strictly from a competitive angle. The game is fun as heck and I use to jump on it all the time just to get kills and win rounds. But from a competitive stand point, the gameplay is solid enough to warrant tournies but not solid enough to keep the best playing.
1-3 bullets isnt fun for me :\ P90s in gbs isnt fun for me. Walking past someone who sits in a room camping isnt fun for me. Thats why I dont feel it has great gameplay for what my friends and I enjoy playing.

Halo is fun, I love the grenades in the game but I only like some maps so I get bored with them easily. You know what, actually halo is really fucken fun, like a lot of fun, if Ihad more friends who played it I would still play it. But if I had to choose, I'd still go with R2.

Cod has great map designs. No arguing there.
But if I had to choose a game that was aiming for realism, I would personally go for Socom still. That gameplay is more solid for what it tries to do(like cod).

All my opinion, no facts. I'm also talking from a competitive standpoint since thats all we enjoy playing.

andycapps

spwolf said:
yeah, so they give proper screen ratio for split screen play...

So much wasted space there though... I'd rather use 16:9 ratio and have the screens split vertically instead of horizontally like Resistance 1 did.

oneHeero

andycapps said:
So much wasted space there though... I'd rather use 16:9 ratio and have the screens split vertically instead of horizontally like Resistance 1 did.
I much rather have horizontal instead vertical. I hate games that do vertical.

GodofWine

JB1981 said:

I don't think the maps of finished and updated titles can be compared to a few maps in the beta of another upcoming title...but I'll ignore my own advice :) and say I find it hard to say that Orick or the Subway map are in any way inferior to any other maps out there, those two are great.

R2 out plays COD4 to me so far.

different folks, different strokes :)

I'm down the middle on the aiming reticule/etc.

The first few matches I played... I was ready to throw the game in the trash. Then I gave the Carbine another shot. I'll just say I'm enjoying things a lot more now that I'm playing/aiming more like BF:BC than the original Resistance.

I agree that the only way to really know if you're hitting someone is the exp scrolling :lol

I don't think it takes too long to kill someone. At least not with the Carbine. Bullseye is also really powerful, THOUGH I HAVE NO IDEA how people aim with it. I tried it. My bullets are like forming a hoop and passing right by my targets without hitting them. Marksman is ok, but not my thing.

I think the splicer should be a 3 hit kill, not a 4 hit kill. It's can be diffucult to aim and hitting someone 4 times while under fire (it fires slowly) is next to impossible. I do enjoy slicing people up though.

Meh, I still haven't played enough to say much one way or the other. But I have been able to play a lot today and I'm liking it a bit more and more as I play (but then the only thing I'm doing is Carbine hogging... which works on most of the maps present).

Also, I've JUST decoupled the run/crouch. This has been giving me a lot of issues. I'd start to run, change my mind... so my finger wasn't on the L2 button for very long. This results in, not stopping running, but instead crouching. Messed me up so many times. Have it switched around now and should improve my performance.

Also, is it just me or is pointless to use anything but the ironskin berserk? I haven't tried EVERY one but this one makes you a freaking beast.

M3Freak said:

I think it really is the aiming. Guns flat out aren't as accurate. However, again, I don't think it takes too long to kill with the carbine. I can kill 3 people if I don't really miss. I'm steadily learning how to fire each weapon to generate accuracy, though, and I'm doing much better now. Though I think the bullseye is a lost cause. I have no idea where I'm firing that thing.

oneHeero

My Arms Your Hearse said:

The first few matches I played... I was ready to throw the game in the trash. Then I gave the Carbine another shot. I'll just say I'm enjoying things a lot more now that I'm playing/aiming more like BF:BC than the original Resistance.

I agree that the only way to really know if you're hitting someone is the exp scrolling :lol

I don't think it takes too long to kill someone. At least not with the Carbine. Bullseye is also really powerful, THOUGH I HAVE NO IDEA how people aim with it. I tried it. My bullets are like forming a hoop and passing right by my targets without hitting them. Marksman is ok, but not my thing.

I think the splicer should be a 3 hit kill, not a 4 hit kill. It's can be diffucult to aim and hitting someone 4 times while under fire (it fires slowly) is next to impossible. I do enjoy slicing people up though.

Meh, I still haven't played enough to say much one way or the other. But I have been able to play a lot today and I'm liking it a bit more and more as I play (but then the only thing I'm doing is Carbine hogging... which works on most of the maps present).

Also, I've JUST decoupled the run/crouch. This has been giving me a lot of issues. I'd start to run, change my mind... so my finger wasn't on the L2 button for very long. This results in, not stopping running, but instead crouching. Messed me up so many times. Have it switched around now and should improve my performance.

Also, is it just me or is pointless to use anything but the ironskin berserk? I haven't tried EVERY one but this one makes you a freaking beast.
My friend just uses the advance radar he loves it. I use ironskin lol.

Carbine is beastly, I do enjoy the lack of pickups now. I hate ppl who whored 40's and laarks online.

I think it really is the aiming. Guns flat out aren't as accurate. However, again, I don't think it takes too long to kill with the carbine. I can kill 3 people if I don't really miss. I'm steadily learning how to fire each weapon to generate accuracy, though, and I'm doing much better now. Though I think the bullseye is a lost cause. I have no idea where I'm firing that thing.
Bullseye is perfect upclose since its so strong. As much as I despise tagging, the bullseye is great midrange if you can tag them. I like that they made tagging a lil more difficult.
Bullseye>Carbine CQC
Carbine>Bullseye every other situation :p

Skilled carbiners can beat up close bullseye though.

andycapps

oneHeero said:
I much rather have horizontal instead vertical. I hate games that do vertical.

It is a little hard to get used to, but I just like my big screen that I paid way too much money for to be used to it's fullest. Anyway, if there's an option for it, that'd be nice, but I can't find it.

Spy

dwin45 said:
Just played a few deathmatches. Why is the shotgun so weak? It's next to impossible to kill someone with even at very close range.

I forgot about this but I completely agree, the Shotgun seems incredibly weak.

I agree, 3 hits instead of 4.

Teknoman

Electrosphere can tear people up under the right circumstances.

oneHeero

andycapps said:
It is a little hard to get used to, but I just like my big screen that I paid way too much money for to be used to it's fullest. Anyway, if there's an option for it, that'd be nice, but I can't find it.
When its vertical, even on my 40in, I feel like I cant look all the way across the plane cuz my friends screen is there. I like a view of the whole field. I agree both options would be best.

Spy said:
I forgot about this but I completely agree, the Shotgun seems incredibly weak.

Yea, the shotgun has definitely been nerfed since the first game. One could argue that it and the carbine were overpowered in the first game, but they were also my favorite guns. The guns may be better balanced now, but I now feel they are all equally terrible.

They're probably still paranoid about the original (and best FPS shotgun EVER) Resistance shotgun.

Ahh, the glory days of 100-2 in Mall as Chimera. I cried a little inside over what they did to it, and I'm not surprised it is still completely neutered.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yea, the shotgun has definitely been nerfed since the first game. One could argue that it and the carbine were overpowered in the first game, but they were also my favorite guns. The guns may be better balanced now, but I now feel they are all equally terrible.

Maybe you only played at the start, but they horrendously nerfed the shotgun (twice if I recall) in the course of R1.

andycapps

oneHeero said:
When its vertical, even on my 40in, I feel like I cant look all the way across the plane cuz my friends screen is there. I like a view of the whole field. I agree both options would be best.

I definitely see the logic behind what you're saying, but at the same time, I was having a hard time playing in the 4:3 ratio for some reason. Maybe it's a thing like inverted versus regular controls, some people just prefer inverted. I can't play that way at all, but some people it's completely natural. Would be nice to have a choice for how the screen is setup, but it's not a game-breaker at all for me.

Top Bottom