• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

scoobs

so i've never gotten an answer about this... if we signed up for the public beta via the website are the codes already being given out? God i hope i'm not screwed : /

Teknoman said:
About the Splicer gun, how does secondary fire work? Just tap R2 then shoot normally? Or hold R2 down till the gun shoots itself? If its holding R2 until it shoots...thats far too long to be effective at any range.

Hold secondary fire to get it spinning (at this point it is a deadly melee weapon), then press primary fire to release.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Teknoman said:
About the Splicer gun, how does secondary fire work? Just tap R2 then shoot normally? Or hold R2 down till the gun shoots itself? If its holding R2 until it shoots...thats far too long to be effective at any range.

Is that the one that shoots the saw blades?......... you use it like a chain saw, hold R2 down and rush people n chop em.

Teknoman

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Is that the one that shoots the saw blades?......... you use it like a chain saw, hold R2 down and rush people n chop em.

the_prime_mover said:
Hold secondary fire to get it spinning (at this point it is a deadly melee weapon), then press primary fire to release.

Ohhh. The description had me thinking about alt-fire the wrong way. Also do the blades actually shoot straight?

J-Rzez

I'll probably be back for this day one now after seeing more media on it. Hopefully it runs like a dream on day one. Resistance 1 is still the benchmark for online shooters this gen IMHO when you factor in gameplay on a broader scope such as latency (lag!), framerate, hit detection, etc. Nothing comes close to it. It should have been the premier GB console shooter, but they tend to go where all the sales/lemmings are.

Only true competition this game will probably receive, from a pure competitive standpoint online once fixed is SOCOM Confrontation. That game OOZES competitiveness when it's running properly. Some of the best designed maps ever, gameplay is incredible. Too bad it's plagued with server issues atm.

But one's twitch, another more based on realism. I'll get my fix of both once R2 hits, and I'm sure it'll be top-notch on day one. And, I'll be a free kill since I didn't get into beta to learn any maps lol.

dork

Banned
Teknoman said:
Ohhh. The description had me thinking about alt-fire the wrong way. Also do the blades actually shoot straight?

yup, its like the gravity gun and chainsaw blades in hl2

Teknoman

Man I love the auger. X-ray vision + shooting core carriers from underneath :D

Did they change the auger shield though? Does it just absorb a little damage rather than blocking it as a whole? Same for the wraith shield.

JB1981

What, exactly, about the aiming reticule is so different from the first game? The main difference here is pace and speed. The aiming reticule differences - if any - are minor.

I will say, even though I felt R1 was a little too fast and twitchy at times, it also had moments where you would get an amazing combat high. Because of the dramatic decrease in speed in this game, it fails to replicate that feeling.

The more time I put into the multiplayer, the more I feel Insomniac went the safe route with the franchise. Rather than taking the unique play style of the original and expanding on it, they've co-opted elements from more commercially successful shooters.

And if this beta is game type-complete, then they've also omitted two objective-based gametypes that made the first game so epic - MELTDOWN AND BREACH. WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Teknoman said:
Man I love the auger. X-ray vision + shooting core carriers from underneath :D

Did they change the auger shield though? Does it just absorb a little damage rather than blocking it as a whole? Same for the wraith shield.
If true, Auger really sucks this time around. It was one of the best in the original, but now... slower bullets + shield just absorbing damage?

Bahhhhhhhhhhh.

Teknoman

Seiken said:
If true, Auger really sucks this time around. It was one of the best in the original, but now... slower bullets + shield just absorbing damage?

Bahhhhhhhhhhh.

Thats what it seemed like. Just got destroyed after thinking an auger shield would save me. Nope, carbine'd to death.

EDIT: Do have to complement the map styles though. They really feel natural and not just constructed for a game...if that makes any sense. What does Grey Territory mean though?

JB1981

Seiken said:

Bahhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm getting better with the Auger. It also has a better shield (it's wider).

JB1981 said:
What, exactly, about the aiming reticule is so different from the first game? The main difference here is pace and speed. The aiming reticule differences - if any - are minor.

I will say, even though I felt R1 was a little too fast and twitchy at times, it also had moments where you would get an amazing combat high. Because of the dramatic decrease in speed in this game, it fails to replicate that feeling.

The more time I put into the multiplayer, the more I feel Insomniac went the safe route with the franchise. Rather than taking the unique play style of the original and expanding on it, they've co-opted elements from more commercially successful shooters.

And if this beta is game type-complete, then they've also omitted two objective-based gametypes that made the first game so epic - MELTDOWN AND BREACH. WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY?

Dont say that! there has to be some form of CTF . . . right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
JB1981 said:
I'm getting better with the Auger. It also has a better shield (it's wider).
Great news if it really is wider. Come on, more good Auger news from someone who's played with it a lot!

JB1981 said:

I hope this is just a beta thing. The only objectives in skirmish appear to be "find the beacon" and "assasination".

Honestly, I feel like the multiplayer is a rather large downgrade from Resistance 1.

Scale for the sake of scale doesn't make much sense. It's a good bullet point, but unless:

1) You can actively engage smaller squads to feel like they're accomplishing something of value in a larger mission; and

2) You can keep the game's flow and pace feeling smooth and not chaotic

Then it simply waters down the experience. Team Death Match and Skirmish aren't really fun at all. Resistance 2 doesn't see to accomplish any of those important points for large scale 'fun'. It doesn't help that I don't really like the weapons...again, crazy weapons for the sake of crazy weapons doesn't mean the gunplay is good. I'd rather have a smaller set of weapons to work with.

Co-op is a decent amount of fun, but its novelty wears off fast because it's pretty much the same strategy every single time, and I'm not sure if I find 'damage sponges' to be all that fun or engaging to shoot at...

My reaction to Resistance 2 after a few days is tepid at best.

I'm holding out for a decent single player experience, but at this point that's solely where my interest resides in this game.

Teknoman

Deathmatches are starting to turn into Bullseye fests again...

The auger shield is definitely wider, but it only absorbs damage now. Still a good gun though.

Yoshichan

Y2Kev said:
I still think it's really dumb to not put 2 player coop through the main campaign in. :\
Uh... what? Why would they take out that feature (from Resistance 1)...?

Teknoman

Also the blades on the Splicer should have a better tracer behind them. I know the blades dont really wobble in the air or anything, but you cant tell if they went straight since the tracer looks wobbly.

Y2Kev said:
I still think it's really dumb to not put 2 player coop through the main campaign in. :\

I think it was really dumb to have a random unmentioned character added in who had nothing to do with the Resistance: Fall of Man story. The game's about Hale. Single player needs to be single player, for the sake of story.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Y2Kev said:

So much stuff breaks when you do that... we could've, but then the true co-op campaign would've suffered.

Basically, if you want that, you have to take something else away from some other part of the game. And we didn't want to make that sacrifice.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Blu_LED said:
Anyone else still waiting for a Qore Subscription code?

I am still looking in the downloads section and it keeps saying not available yet... when will it come? Or do we get a separate code somehow?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
jstevenson said:
So much stuff breaks when you do that... we could've, but then the true co-op campaign would've suffered.

Basically, if you want that, you have to take something else away from some other part of the game. And we didn't want to make that sacrifice.

And it will be a great call, 2 player co-op is fun but in most games its to the detriment of the single player game, having the seperate campaign is the best thing ever as far as im concered for co-op and i hope EVERYONE follows that route.

andydumi said:
I am still looking in the downloads section and it keeps saying not available yet... when will it come? Or do we get a separate code somehow?

Its not in there, you are meant to be emailed a Beta code which you redeem from with the PSN store, check your emails and spam n stuff, make sure its the same address you used to sign up the account with.......... :D

Teknoman

Unless the beta co-op map has nothing to do with the retail co-op campaign, I kinda wish it had intro cutscenes. The game loads pretty fast, so you dont really have time to read the intro text.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
And it will be a great call, 2 player co-op is fun but in most games its to the detriment of the single player game, having the seperate campaign is the best thing ever as far as im concered for co-op and i hope EVERYONE follows that route.

Yeah, co-op side stories are always nice, unless single player is actually built with co-op in mind as well.

DeadGzuz

Banned
jstevenson said:

You guys did it fine for R1. Just up the HPs of the bad guys in co-op mode. There, done. Any chance to have it done as DLC or a patch later?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DeadGzuz said:
You guys did it fine for R1. Just up the HPs of the bad guys in co-op mode. There, done. Any chance to have it done as DLC or a patch later?

This proves you don't understand what exactly goes into it. It's much more challenging, we have a lot of boss encounters, a lot of cutscenes that take control of the camera, a lot of STUFF that would have to be modified. Then you have to re-balance ammo etc. Test it.

It's a much larger undertaking than you realize, and having to re-think half the content in the game and figure out the contingencies for two-players is a large challenge.

Awntawn

jstevenson said:

I understand this argument in terms of messing up the balance for singleplayer, and it is being made a lot ala Guerilla Games as well, but I honestly think that even if it is just tacked on without any optimization, it would only help to have the option available to gamers. Perhaps the campaign wasn't designed for two people and would be too easy, so what? Halo 3 is the perfect example, it is virtually the exact same campaign be you playing as it is designed (alongside the arbiter, whether it's cpu or player controlled), or playing with 4 people in 2 extra elites that are not accounted for in the game design. To most, even Legendary became a ridiculously easy with 4 players, but did anybody complain? No, because it was an option and not required. And I'm sure there were some players whose skill level was not the greatest and found 4 players to be the most optimal situation to play through.

I know some people who are casual FPS gamers who are really uncomfortable playing through singleplayer FPS campaigns for various reasons, and just having another person alongside them means all the difference between playing it and not playing it. You guys talk about how you wanted to do something different than the tacked on co-op from R1, and I'm loving the results as well, but I personally know quite a few people who played and enjoyed R1 but are thinking of passing on R2 if the primary story campaign does not support the same co-op mode as before.

In terms of messing up the true co-op mode, how would that be taking away from it? Is that purely a time/resources thing? Does it take that much work to just tack on a splitscreen or online coop mode for the singleplayer campaign without worrying about balancing it?

Stillmatic

jstevenson said:
This proves you don't understand what exactly goes into it. It's much more challenging, we have a lot of boss encounters, a lot of cutscenes that take control of the camera, a lot of STUFF that would have to be modified. Then you have to re-balance ammo etc. Test it.

It's a much larger undertaking than you realize, and having to re-think half the content in the game and figure out the contingencies for two-players is a large challenge.

It isn't even needed, i mean there's a whole co-op campaign. :lol

Teknoman

The only thing im still not liking is that EVERYONE just grabs a Bullseye in deathmatch. Maybe I should just play the other modes, because a game just isnt fun when everyone runs around with the same weapon doing the same tag and spray all the time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DeadGzuz said:
I highly doubt it. It looks like the campaign is very focused on a single player experience.

Look at scenes like the Leviathan fight. The whole getting grabbed and thrown mechanic really wouldn't work with two people. You need to be thrown to get around that area and it would be awkward to have it grab both players at a time. If you made it grab one at a time there would be no tension. It would simply grab, throw, back to location 1, throw other player, and repeat. It wouldn't be exciting or fun.

I think that this new co-op mode could quite possibly be one of the best multiplayer modes I've ever played and if it catches on could start something. I'm really hoping the bosses in single player will turn out well and I would rather them be designed around a single player experience and turn out well than half-assed into co-op.

DrPirate

Banned
Why the hell would people want the single player campaign to be coop?

It's just stupid, the single player facilitates all the huge boss battles, the set pieces, voice acting, movies, etc.

All the exact same maps in the single player are also in the coop campaign.

It amounts to the EXACT same thing.......

Just had my first experience with a Titan humping the wall. We had a really long coop game going until we got kicked off (network issue). Luckily, it still counted all my XP or I would have been pissed. I'm really enjoying Co-op, though I probably won't play much more in the beta because it's just getting reset and I'm busy. I'm really looking forward to it after the day 1 patch, though.

Will the co-op campaign be how it is now where you pick a level and it randomly gives you a certain mission or will it be an actual progression from one stage to the next like an actual campaign?

Oh and good game darkpen. :D

Teknoman

MiamiWesker said:
Will the co-op campaign be how it is now where you pick a level and it randomly gives you a certain mission or will it be an actual progression from one stage to the next like an actual campaign?

C'moooooon actual campaign like progression!

Wollan

MiamiWesker said:

As far as I know it's both. You can replay a co-op level over and over and it will randomize which segments of the map/tasks it hands you and what order.
You will unlock the next map by completing the prior once.
I'm sure JS knows.

Teknoman

Wollan said:
As far as I know it's both. You can replay a co-op level over and over and it will randomize which segments of the map/tasks it hands you and what order.
I'm sure JS knows.

That would be cool. Going through the game to a certain point, then when it gets too challenging...go back and do stage runs like Diablo or PSO :D

Wollan said:
I'm sure JS knows.

Yeah I figure you can choose a level once you finish it as well, I was just hoping it wasn't all unlocked at the start as if it were maps to choose from.

Seiken said:
Great news if it really is wider. Come on, more good Auger news from someone who's played with it a lot!

It definitely is wider. Think of it as close to half a backlash shield. I am pretty sure it does absorb all incoming fire (the wraith definitely does not though), and grenades just bounce off it. But it is stationary and you can be attacked from the side (though it does curl around a bit at the sides and top), it even flares out a bit at the feet. It is great for blocking choke points in TDM and core matches. You only get two shields to start though, and as with all weapons, you need to collect ammo from corpses to fill back up.

Not many people are using the Auger in the games I have been playing. I was never big on it in R:FOM, but I don't really think it shoots that much slower (if at all). I have been killed by it a great many times. Plus the fact that the iron sight now sees through walls is pretty cool (though they have taken away the red reticule, so you do have to rely on the iron sight to find people you can't see directly). At the moment the Subway is probably the only map that really utilizes the Auger's specific strengths (think the Train station in R:Fom but with many more blind hallways crossed with the mall - the whole thing is two floors). But you can also combine this with the hybrid-vision berserk to see people a few rooms away.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I just Encountered the biggest battle i have ever seen!. there was 8 of us vs what looked like over 100 chimera!, 30 sentry bots, 3 titans. 2 steel heads and about 10 of those chimera with the big green shields ( forget there name). just picture war of the worlds or star wars...and times that by 10! no thats no exaggeration!, it was beyond epic!. lasers and bullets everywhere!, explosions going off, battle cries, chimera roaring, people flying through the air! it was something out of this fucking world!. being pinned down for a good 10 min i decided to outflank them from the side to get there attention but to my surprise (geen sheild chimera dude) spotted me and put his shield up in defense and charged at me!, i was scared shittles and started running from him! thinking he would pull back! but he was determined to kill me!. i ran back into the woods and he was still on my trail!. i turned around and decided to face him one and one!. he put his gun away and we both had a epic melle off for a good 5 min! before i killed him and he rolled down the hill and landed in the water.

game of fucking forever

JB1981

the_prime_mover said:
I
Not many people are using the Auger in the games I have been playing. I was never big on it in R:FOM, but I don't really think it shoots that much slower (if at all). I have been killed by it a great many times.

The gun is only effective on Subway. In open environments, it's worthless. That's ok, tho, not every weapon has to be useful in every situation.

Dizzan

MINI Member
TEH-CJ said:
I just Encountered the biggest battle i have ever seen!. there was 8 of us vs what looked like over 100 chimera!, 30 sentry bots, 3 titans. 2 steel heads and about 10 of those chimera with the big green shields ( forget there name). just picture war of the worlds or star wars...and times that by 10! no thats no exaggeration!, it was beyond epic!. lasers and bullets everywhere!, explosions going off, battle cries, chimera roaring, people flying through the air! it was something out of this fucking world!. being pinned down for a good 10 min i decided to outflank them from the side to get there attention but to my surprise (geen sheild chimera dude) spotted me and put his shield up in defense and charged at me!, i was scared shittles and started running from him! thinking he would pull back! but he was determined to kill me!. i ran back into the woods and he was still on my trail!. i turned around and decided to face him one and one!. he put his gun away and we both had a epic melle off for a good 5 min! before i killed him and he rolled down the hill and landed in the water.

game of fucking forever

What? really? Why would he "put his gun away"?

JB1981 said:
The gun is only effective on Subway. In open environments, it's worthless. That's ok, tho, not every weapon has to be useful in every situation.

True. I think the guns are really balanced in this game and each of the maps (at least the ones available) are varied enough to offer situations where certain weapons are ideal, and others are just suicidal. Seeing a guy unloading a wraith and moving towards you is down right scary, but seeing a guy warming up a wraith is like Christmas morning.

Dizzan said:
What? really? Why would he "put his gun away"?

The big guys have a weapon that shoots really slow and has pretty bad aim, but if you get close they will rush you and attempt to melee you. There gun is probably very ineffective at close range (though a single shot does a lot of damage). Plus their sheild damages you as well.

Top Bottom