• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ploid 3.0 said:
I get tanks begging for ammo when I can't spit them out fast enough. They go head first into a whole army of shooting mobs (the flying orbs, the shield dudes, the normal chimeras - x 50) and expect the shield to hold up well enough. Bad tanks don't use shield, and use shield but go running into the center of battle, or in the face of unneeded extra fire.

The worst kind of tanks are those that play defensively and/or do not use their shield. The tanks should always be at the front pushing forward, with their shields protecting the Spec-ops and medics who are providing supporting firepower and supplies/health.

In my first game as a tank the other day I ran out of ammo on numerous occassions, and that shit is inexcusable. Seeing as I'm a Level 7 Spec-Ops as well, I made a habit of running about all over the place making sure no-one ran dry - as that's the only way you'll get shit done.

Also there's an annoying lack of people realising you need a balance of classes. The other day there were 5 Spec Ops and 3 Medics before anyone decided to be a soldier (me). Then halfway through the game we realised there were no medics. We still managed fine though, even if we nearly got slaughtered at the "we have to hit these two switches at the same-HOLY SHIT THEY SPAWNED BEHIND US BAIL OUT! BAIL OUT!" part.

industrian

Wollan said:
I wish the Spec Ops ammo drop had a slightly longer throw. Double at least. Too close for comfort at the moment.

I agree. I was throwing ammo uphill towards a few tanks the other day and I seemed to just be giving myself the stuff.

jmd494

In that section where you have to hit both buttons at the same time, it's REALLY annoying that the swarms always spawn without warning right where you're standing (literally all around you).

Not only does it look ridiculous, but it results in you dying. What a cheap way to make it difficult.

Justin Dailey said:
In that section where you have to hit both buttons at the same time, it's REALLY annoying that the swarms always spawn without warning right where you're standing (literally all around you).

Not only does it look ridiculous, but it results in you dying. What a cheap way to make it difficult.

If you are talking about that one section then there are 3 teleporter pads in that section that the enemies spawn on.

I have noticed that you can clear out both mobs and then when you head back to the other teleporter there will be one chimera left standing. It seems that when you kill him that triggers a new wave. I haven't tried not killing him to see if the new mob will not spawn though as I, or my team, tend to be in a kill frenzy. I will have to look into that tonight.

But even if they do spawn a team working together should have no problem finding cover. Just attack from a distance instead of standing on the teleporter pad, and avoid standing in that middle section (by those two power core things) at all cost. Only one person (a spec-ops) should be on the pad fiddling with the controls. Then if a mob does spawn you just have to fall back and the spec ops can run or go invisible if he has it.

industrian

the_prime_mover said:
I have noticed that you can clear out both mobs and then when you head back to the other teleporter there will be one chimera left standing. It seems that when you kill him that triggers a new wave. I haven't tried not killing him to see if the new mob will not spawn though as I, or my team, tend to be in a kill frenzy. I will have to look into that tonight. .

My team tried this a few days ago and iirc it doesn't work. They spawned in after the reactors had been exposed.

I say "iirc" because I was on my 8th bottle of Grolsch Weizen at the time.

It's worth another try though. I find it's a good (if annoying) way of EXP farming if they just keep spawning.

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Is CTF in the full game?

There's some sort of 'fake' version in the beta, right?

Why is it fake? Core capture seems to be the CTF mode for R2, and there will also be a Teleporter control mode (I guess like a zones match in Warhawk) going by the in game medals.

industrian said:
My team tried this a few days ago and iirc it doesn't work. They spawned in after the reactors had been exposed.

I say "iirc" because I was on my 8th bottle of Grolsch Weizen at the time.

It's worth another try though. I find it's a good (if annoying) way of EXP farming if they just keep spawning.

Good choice.

I'm pretty sure we cleared out ~5 mobs on each side before they stopped coming and we were able to get the controls clicked. There may have been a random Chimera somewhere, but I think we killed them all. It would be good to know if those mobs are infinite for sure or not, though.

oneHeero

bcn-ron said:
So instead of playing the beta as was promised to me, I read a bit of this thread. The debate about the gameplay changes especially in competitive mp is highly interesting.

I think it was clear from very early on that Insomniac was chasing after the more casual CoD4/Halo audience, with reduced emphasis on aiming skill (wider weapon spreads, slower movement) and less pressure for ad-hoc weapon strategy (two-weapon system instead of full loadouts yadda yadda).

I find it a bit of a shame, because that kind of depth, that high demand of sheer skill development which you just don't find in any other console shooter, is what made Resistance 1's mp so special. Now the game moves closer to being just one of many similar experiences, with its own technicalities and graphics yes, but less of an own style and feel.

I know why it's happening. The greater audience wants instant gratification, a happy kill-streak or two every once in a while even when they come in completely untrained. I myself prefer deeper, more demanding games, where players only excel due to their excellence, and not due to some dumb farmer luck. To that end Resistance 1 was more of my style. And niche. I'm not heavily invested into any mp game though. I'll have no second thoughts about just moving on to something that still constitutes wild fun, even if it misses my ideal.
I'm putting my copy of RFOM up for auction tonight. Out with the old, in with the new.
*wipes away a single tear*
You got the wrong idea. Random ppl are not going on streaks. I played some more yesterday and the only ones going on streaks were a couple of good people. The Marksman takes skill, random ppl wont kill you, skilled will. Carbine could be a bit better in aim, but it still takes skill. Bullseye is the same to me. Fareye is like 1 but no loading :D

The game still takes skill, lots more than Cod did, way more. This is coming from someone very competitive in MP games.

EDIT: For Example, I joined a game and it was 1v7 @ the start, they started the game with me by myself :(. Grimm and Cmoney8 were smacking me the fuck up, than again it was 1v7.. I started like 2-9. More ppl came, no one good for me :( But I finished 22-16 and in 3rd place.

For starting 1v7 thats very good, the game takes a lot of skill still, I was getting clobbered by Cmoney8 and Grimm tho, but I couldnt get in a grove since I was constantly being attacked, but once I had teammates it was way easier for me.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Wow amazing game, cant get over it!
one thing tho, and i know im complaining about something so insignificant, but one thing i noticed is all the chimera die the same way in co op, regardless of where you shoot them they still die face 1st on the ground, where as the chimera dudes with the big shield all have several death animations. wondering if this is a bug of some sort?

lynux3

I wonder why Insomniac completely changed the MP formula they had with R:FoM? An upgraded R:FoM MP style game with the whole class system would have been perfectly fine, but everything is completely different from the style to the gameplay.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, I need help!

Where (on the web) can I buy the Collectors Edition to R2? They must ship to Europe, I don't care about the price. VG+ just deleted it from their base and I missed it out!

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I can tell this game is great because my girlfriend was actually interested in watching me play videogames for once when i was playing co-op! :lol

So all last night and this morning I have tried to get into a match of any kind and
I cant connect for the life of me.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Rainy Dog

Seiken said:
Guys, I need help!

Where (on the web) can I buy the Collectors Edition to R2? They must ship to Europe, I don't care about the price. VG+ just deleted it from their base and I missed it out!

Tronix. Used them many times for stuff to the UK Seiken, can highly recommend. No customs charge worries either ;) They generally don't put preorders up until a couple of weeks before the release date though so you'll have to keep your eye on the coming soon section...

gotta go....

delorean.jpg

BeeDog

YAY, got my new Play.com code. Off to try it now on my PS3!

supermackem, this is your heads-up :D

EDIT: screw me sideways, it actually worked. Downloading:

Resistance 2 (Public Beta)
Open Beta Trial

Rainy Dog

Got my proper Play.com code too. Hopefully I can get my US beta to work now the UK one is up and running and give my Play code to a less fortunate GAF'er :)

Rainy Dog

BeeDog said:

Open Beta Trial

What the file size Bee? Curious whether it's the same as the US one which was just over 2200mb if I recall...

I'm about to give up on getting my code. Is there any other way or promotions or anything going on to where I could have a chance at getting one? I bought Qore episode 3 as a backup and didn't even get one from that yet, and I'll be out of town starting Thursday and won't get back until Sunday.

This really blows. I know, someone call the wahhhmbulance and all that, I just really want to play this before the beta ends.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rainy Dog said:
Tronix. Used them many times for stuff to the UK Seiken, can highly recommend. No customs charge worries either ;) They generally don't put preorders up until a couple of weeks before the release date though so you'll have to keep your eye on the coming soon section...
Yeah I totally forgot about Tronix (ever since they changed their shipping cost). Thanks!

Facism

played some more.

Kinda going cold on Coop already. Enemies have too much hp and are as thick as shit. I'm hoping this isn't going to representative of the final coop mode or even the SP AI. yeh yeh beta i know, doesn't stop the game coming in a month ;p

The recent coop games i've played have been 'stand still > recieve ammo > hold trigger down > wait 5 minutes for one Steelhead general or whatever to go down whilst he dives all over the place.

Not good pacing and just gives me fatigue.

Belloc is awesome.

garath

I apologize if this has been asked before, I haven't followed the game as closely as I should have.

With the talk of co-op having classes, is it still friendly for a 2 person co-op game? Or is it really balanced for some number greater than 2 which has a good balance of classes?

BeeDog said:

Open Beta Trial

I canz haz betazzzzzzzzz woooooooooooot.:lol 2,2gig lol maybes sometime tonight i can haz beta.

Facism said:
played some more.

Kinda going cold on Coop already. Enemies have too much hp and are as thick as shit. I'm hoping this isn't going to representative of the final coop mode or even the SP AI. yeh yeh beta i know, doesn't stop the game coming in a month ;p

The recent coop games i've played have been 'stand still > recieve ammo > hold trigger down > wait 5 minutes for one Steelhead general or whatever to go down whilst he dives all over the place.

Not good pacing and just gives me fatigue.

Belloc is awesome.

I imagine this co-op level is near the beginning and that you are just getting tired of playing essentially the same objectives over and over again. I concur that the Titans go down a bit to slow and that it is easy to kind of hang back and just shoot. But this level also has more wide open areas where you can either see the enemies approaching or contain them as needed. I haven't played the full game, but I imagine that other maps will introduce different dynamics. Hopefully the enemies will be a bit smarter, but honestly, imagine if the enemies rushed you or flanked you given the large numbers they come in, you would be swarmed and killed so fast. The soldier is the meat tank but if he gets swarmed he still goes down fast. I think the success of the co-op will depend on how dynamic the map layouts are.

Personally I find that the pacing is good until you get down to having only the bosses left at which point it takes a minute or two to drop them. But after the mayhem them leads up to them I kind of relish the relief.

Ahh suck so you guys can actually play.
Man whats wrong with my fricken system maybe my router is blocking it.

Is anyone having any router problems?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ahh suck so you guys can actually play.
Man whats wrong with my fricken system maybe my router is blocking it.

Is anyone having any router problems?
Well I don't have the beta but I was having a lot of trouble with my router a couple of days ago. I held down the reset button on the back of the router and everything went back to normal. My computer downstairs was saying something like "Ip address conflict" I think the router was giving my ps3 the same ip as my pc resetting the router fixed that though.

There should be a little button that you have to push in with a pen or something skinny on the back of the router.

InterMoniker said:
Well I don't have the beta but I was having a lot of trouble with my router a couple of days ago. I held down the reset button on the back of the router and everything went back to normal. My computer downstairs was saying something like "Ip address conflict" I think the router was giving my ps3 the same ip as my pc resetting the router fixed that though.

There should be a little button that you have to push in with a pen or something skinny on the back of the router.

Thanks man I will try that tonight.

dork

Banned
to the people asking for codes

i know that the gamestop codes expire today, so either go pre order or i think you missed out :(

i gave out all we had on here

andycapps

bishoptl said:
Very few people know how to play medic properly. Fortunately, I am one of the chosen few.

Me too, most of them are too preoccupied with rushing the enemies and trying to kill them than notice their buddies screaming in their headsets to heal them. I don't like playing medic, but I can when the rest of the medics suck. :lol

Top Bottom