• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Spike

Dante said:
14bki09.jpg

Umm, is that really the game?!?! Holy smokes...

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anybody got a code to spare? ugh I am like totally not funny....so here is a good one...McCain is gonna be the president...roflcopter huh.

Dante

oneHeero said:
Dante, whats your psn? Turin69 is a beast, hes a friend of mine, we were all playing yesterday on that map, a bunch of my clanmates and I. I'm Wise_

PSN: Jenovah, I'll be on later, I'm not particularly too good at FPS online, I usually finish somewhere in the middle :)

Len1978

jstevenson said:

When are the qore people getting into this game, I bought that episode months ago it seems, and I got the LE pre ordered at gamestop still no code...oh well the game looks really good. Nice work guys

jett

D-Member
14bki09.jpg

That looks really good...I've only played for around 30 minutes*, but that picture pretty much tells me I need a HDTV for this game. :p

*many thanks to metalmurphy :D

Spike

jett said:
That looks really good...I've only played for around 30 minutes*, but that picture pretty much tells me I need a HDTV for this game. :p

You and me both, my friend...

Is this level in the beta?

Enojado

Love how frame rate holds steady even when a shit ton of stuff is happening on the screen

Agree with others that the boss AI needs improvement. It would be a lot more challenging and fun if the bosses were more mobile and reacted more to the thousands of bullets being pumped into them.

As others have noticed, there are network bugs (no XP at end of a match, timeouts, etc). I'm wondering if there is any way to clean up the audio quality of the voices over the mics. I know the bt headset with SOCOM allows a high quality mode. Is that available for regular bt users? If not, do you think that's possible/feasible to add something like that to online JS?

Also noticed a few instances of big enemies really clipping through the enviornment. Not a huge deal but something I've seen every now and then.

Firewire

Banned
Can't believe that I have already run into a group of laggers. 5 or 6 of them in Orrick.

Complete bullshit to lag in a beta, I bet the idiots think their points will cary over to the actual game.

iceatcs

I getting 0s all the scores after co-op or team match in the final results, I can't remember which's one. I assume it updating my profile, but just bug on final results?

FirewalkR

Firewire said:
Can't believe that I have already run into a group of laggers. 5 or 6 of them in Orrick.

Complete bullshit to lag in a beta, I bet the idiots think their points will cary over to the actual game.

Hah, I've been lagging awesomely, when I can connect at all, because my ISP did some "upgrade" recently and apparently ran into some problems and for a few more days (early next week worst case scenario) they're traffic shaping the hell out of everyone's connection, only port 80 works fine basically. But I digress, point is it doesn't help me at all... neither in R2 nor especially in cod:waw. It's amazing the things I do when I watch myself through my opponent's killcam. o:)

Helluva time to be www-bound...

EDIT: anyone still got keys? (JStevenson?) I obviously got one but am trying to get another for my cousin who's currently loving R1. I missed IGN's giveaway even though I did all that "Comrade" bs. Never got the early warning... meh.

JB1981

Firewire said:

Yep. I've run into quite a few as well.

Game still has the best netcode of any console game, well, ever. But damn .... it's such a dramatic change.

Firewire

Banned
FirewalkR said:
Hah, I've been lagging awesomely, when I can connect at all, because my ISP did some "upgrade" recently and apparently ran into some problems and for a few more days (early next week worst case scenario) they're traffic shaping the hell out of everyone's connection, only port 80 works fine basically. But I digress, point is it doesn't help me at all... neither in R2 nor especially in cod:waw. It's amazing the things I do when I watch myself through my opponent's killcam. o:)

Helluva time to be www-bound...

EDIT: anyone still got keys? (JStevenson?) I obviously got one but am trying to get another for my cousin who's currently loving R1. I missed IGN's giveaway even though I did all that "Comrade" bs. Never got the early warning... meh.
These guys have lag switches, it isn't the same as the situation you described. It is almost impossible to kill them, they do it so they can't die and they rack up points like crazy.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Firewire said:

The ban hammer will be levied will be making a triumphant return (Marcus, Bryan and I discuss glitchers on tomorrow's podcast)

jstevenson said:
The ban hammer will be levied will be making a triumphant return (Marcus, Bryan and I discuss glitchers on tomorrow's podcast)
:eek:

Can you explain this to me? How are laggers considered glitchers? I mean, you can't blame them for having crappy connections.

JB1981

Metalmurphy said:
:eek:

Can you explain this to me? How are laggers considered glitchers? I mean, you can't blame them for having crappy connections.
They lag on purpose, dude. Like Firewire said, they have a lag switch and it causes them to be invulnerable and/or teleport across the map, making them impossible to shoot

Rolf NB

So basically ...

Grenade indicators are really unreliable. I've never even once seen one for a frag grenade (only for hogs and air/fuel). Is that intentional?

There needs to be some form of punishment for team kills. Maybe place an extra delay on the next spawn, like when you accidentally yourself. Stack it up for repeat offenders.

Orrick is still awesome. Chicago is still weird, cramped and pulpy.

Now for the fun part.
1)I don't see the point in having sprint. It's such a waste of a button. There's no stamina (ala Doom 3), and iron sight aiming already slows you down, so there's basically no point in walking. Well, actually, there's no point in separating walking from sprinting. Also do note that the left stick is analog. It already allows players to fine-tune the speed at which they want to move. Let their aim deterioate when they go fast. Limit maximum movement speed when using the iron-sights (already in). Further limit it when crouching (already in). All done. No need for sprint.
It's probably too late to take it out now, probably influenced by some other popular fps, but it's such a dumb inclusion. Sorry. It needed to be said.

2)I don't like how the two-weapon system changes the game. Full loadouts are objectively more awesome. The default weapons are great, and it's good that none of the other weapons drop enemies massively faster. That's fine, because it's really not about grabbing upgrades and getting absolute empowerment. It's about specific situations calling for specific advantages, strategy.
In R2, 90%+ play with their default loadout, they never pick up a weapon. Maybe they change their default to Auger or something, but people are just reluctant to swap out their weapons in the field, and so am I, and it's really no surprise. Why would I want to give up my Carbine? It's an awesome weapon!
We all know where the inspiration for this one came from but it's still a poor choice. I think Bungie only did it because they thought they had a controller limitation to work around. Insomniac has proven several times (Ratchet series, Resistance 1) that full loadouts work just fine on a controller. I don't see anything gained from this choice to now cut back to two weapons. Does anyone?

Or in short, the casuals ostensibly win, but in the end we all lose. Le sigh. I am maintaining my preorder and will most likely have lots of fun. It's just some of the changes seem ill inspired.

Firewire

Banned
jstevenson said:
Awesome! They really ruined R1 for allot of people. Some people stopped playing it all together because of them.

Looking forward to the podcast, any more clues on the mystery guest?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone seen Kittonwy playing the beta yet? :lol

Metalmurphy said:
No.

Any more questions you wanna ask us before deciding to buy Far Cry?

no thats all, i just didn't want to play another CoD4 set in the R2 atmosphere. but while i'm at it, what other significant changes have been made?

bcn-ron said:
So basically ...

Grenade indicators are really unreliable. I've never even once seen one for a frag grenade (only for hogs and air/fuel). Is that intentional?

THIS THIS THIS THIS 1000 TIMES THIS

I mentioned this a bit earlier. Is this intended or broken? Even for hedgehog and air fuel, I rarely get an indcator. Usually (at least on my screen) I just fall over dead... no graphic, no indicator, no grenade in sight really.

Erebus

bcn-ron said:
2)I don't like how the two-weapon system changes the game. Full loadouts are objectively more awesome. The default weapons are great, and it's good that none of the other weapons drop enemies massively faster. That's fine, because it's really not about grabbing upgrades and getting absolute empowerment. It's about specific situations calling for specific advantages, strategy.
In R2, 90%+ play with their default loadout, they never pick up a weapon. Maybe they change their default to Auger or something, but people are just reluctant to swap out their weapons in the field, and so am I, and it's really no surprise. Why would I want to give up my Carbine? It's an awesome weapon!
We all know where the inspiration for this one came from but it's still a poor choice. I think Bungie only did it because they thought they had a controller limitation to work around. Insomniac has proven several times (Ratchet series, Resistance 1) that full loadouts work just fine on a controller. I don't see anything gained from this choice to now cut back to two weapons. Does anyone?

Totally agree with you on this. I was really bummed when I figured that R2 incorporates the two-weapon system found in most modern FPS.

womfalcs3

Banned
Yeah. The first thing I did when I got into the beta is get into a match played in the San Francisco level. As I was walking around to look into the environments, I was killed.

Rolf NB

shadowsdarknes said:
no thats all, i just didn't want to play another CoD4 set in the R2 atmosphere. but while i'm at it, what other significant changes have been made?
*60 player converging squad mayhem
*berserk for humans and Chimera, can be activated after filling up your funky-points bar. Players get to choose what exactly happens from a set of four abilities.
*speaking of which, players can pick their favourite starting weapon.
*speaking of which, significant weapon rebalancing

Firewire

Banned
Seiken said:
Anyone seen Kittonwy playing the beta yet? :lol
Almost every night clan members get together for some runs, Kittonwy has been there leading the team to game battle with beer fuelled RAWRS!

So I am fricken pissed.

I have gone through every setting on my router.
I have enabled the PS3 to be a DMZ so theoretically it should have no connection problems
at all from the router. I have tested every multiplayer game I have they all work perfectly
except for R2. I dont want to buy the game and not be able to get online.

JB1981 said:
They lag on purpose, dude. Like Firewire said, they have a lag switch and it causes them to be invulnerable and/or teleport across the map, making them impossible to shoot

You're not invulnerable while lagged out, and you can't move either.

JB1981

Bullshit, these people PLAY THE GAME THIS WAY. Trust me, this happened all the time in the first game. People lag out and it gives them a huge advantage because they usually a.) can't be killed or b.) it makes them incredibly hard to kill.

igRossMcIntosh said:
You're not invulnerable while lagged out, and you can't move either.

That's not true. You can move, it'll just stutter alot if there's any object/hitbox interaction. And while you're lagging the hit detection for the other players is totally off.

Top Bottom