• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Triz said:
bitching about the sound leads me to believe someone is playing this without a reciever capable of using the Multichannel PCM track.

let me tell you something. It sounds great.

this, seriously the sound work is great.

Rapping Granny said:
Played some 40 player competitive today.

- guns feel like shit and really boring to use. (the sound is horrible, it doesn't feel like any bullets are coming out of you gun.)
- flaming cars are the most frustrating thing in this game, you come any where near it, you'll die.
- no image of the guns when you select them.
- shotgun and the carbine are very underpowered.
- when you get shot once, taking just 10% of your health, the screen goes nuts, and it feels like your gonna die in a second, so you just give up. other games start warning you about that when you only have 10% of you health left. very frustrating.
- there is too much health, takes too long to kill somebody.
- the red arrow showing you where you got shot from is pretty much broken.
- the gun model takes up almost 50% of the screen.
- zooming in really stupid and useless, it feels awkward everytime you do it with any gun.
- the game isn't very simple, really hard to pick up and play. I found myself being 4-5th but my KD/R is still under 1.00.
- the game doesn't look that great, some really shitty textures here and there, lighting is non exsistent, still doesn't look better than COD4, and with all the great looking games coming out (Far Cry, Gears, Killzone etc), this feels very outdated already.

so yeah... this is a rental for me.

You're so terrible/dumb

1) They sound great, especially the Marksman. YOu are just bad. The guns are plenty deadly

2) :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol You never played resistance. If you shake your controller you put the flames out. Wow, you couldn't be any more of a noob

3) I haven't used the shotgun much, but the Carbine is deadly. Again, you're just terrible. Or maybe you're trying to snipe people from a mile away with it. Again, try Marksman.

4) Your screen doesn't start "going nuts" until 50%

5) You just have bad aim and/or don't know how to use the guns. Simple enough really

6) It works pretty well actually... only one real instance where I can say it was 100% wrong

7) No, it doesn't. 50% of the screen? Really? :lol

8) I just disagree. It works very well with sniper/marksman. For the other guns it's more a means of focusing.

9) I agree here. Resistance isn't really for the unskilled. That obviously means you basedd on the above points.

10) Well, I agree the multiplayer graphics aren't amazing, though there is a lot going on in some of the levels (San Fran for example). But this much was obvious going in. SP looks great.

You probably should stop playing. It's obvious you either can't and/or won't put in the time and thought required to do well and have fun.

Can you stop shameless BEGGING for every beta that comes along now? And will people stop feeding this bum?

^^^

WOW look at this douchebag go. oh noes I haven't played R1, I r such a n00bie, I didn't waste $600 to play one game. OHNOES I SUCK HARD!

So I suck because I don't like the game.

And oh yeah I didn't give out any LBP/COD5 keys when I ended up with extras. not at all, no I didn't do that.

GodofWine

Are people (meaning you GAFers) preferring the normal weapon damage, or the high weapon damage?

Personally, I totally dig the high damage with a recovering life bar..feels perfect.

( I may have posted this here already...Im losing track of what forums I posted which feedback on...If I am stupid I are sorry.)

Oh, and the sound of this even from my psuedo-surround sound 2 channel hookup is very good...I need to work on getting my 5.1 set up functioning .

Katana_Strikes said:
So my initial impressions so far...

First went straight into competitive. It was the San Fran level.

San Fran is the worst looking level in MP..probably all the stuff flying around made that happen. Play Orick.

First went straight into competitive. It was the San Fran level. First thing that hits you is well... it looks a bit ugly. Trying to get to grips with the game again took a little practice but the gameplay felt rather slow. Had a couple of games but I was left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and was thinking my pre-order wasn't going to be safe after that.

However, upon hitting co-op mode I was blown away. Graphically far better and it looked really nice here. And it's so much fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my first game here and folks were communicating really well and it was a total blast. I was the medic and it great to be that support character as well as being able to blast the bad guys. Haven't played the other roles but medic was a great start. I love the leveling up and XP you get too. Great addition.

So yeah after that I'm really looking forward to the final game, particualy story and co-op modes. I'm going to go back and try competitive again and get on a few other maps and hopefully enjoy it more, but that was by far the weakest part for me.

Rapping Granny said:
^^^

WOW look at this douchebag go. oh noes I haven't played R1, I r such a n00bie, I didn't waste $600 to play one game. OHNOES I SUCK HARD!

And oh yeah I didn't give out any LBP/COD5 keys when I ended up with extras. not at all, no I didn't do that.

facepalm.gif

Rapping Granny said:
^^^

It's just obvious that you're painfully unqualified to comment on the Competitive multiplayer.

Huh? The co-op looks better than competitive? ... Um looked like the exact same graphical engine to me, and both are fine with all that's displayed at one time. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that though...

GodofWine

Byakuya769 said:
Huh? The co-op looks better than competitive? ... Um looked like the exact same graphical engine to me, and both are fine with all that's displayed at one time. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that though...

Looked the same to me, but comparing Orick to San Fran probably is unfair to San Fran...to many things flying around in the air and stuff, the levels detail suffers a little.

Rapping Granny said:
And it's pretty obvious that you just can't take any criticism.

No, it's obvious you can't read! Go back over the past few pages of this thread. I level a LOT of criticism at the game, and indeed, even at the competitive multiplayer!

Out of your giant list of complaints, you missed all the real ones (like the spawning, for one). Of course, I felt a tiny bit of what you feel when I first started... then you know, I focused on getting better.

Rapping Granny said:
Played some 40 player competitive today.

- guns feel like shit and really boring to use. (the sound is horrible, it doesn't feel like any bullets are coming out of you gun.)
- shotgun and the carbine are very underpowered.
- there is too much health, takes too long to kill somebody.
- the gun model takes up almost 50% of the screen.
- zooming in really stupid and useless, it feels awkward everytime you do it with any gun.
- the game isn't very simple, really hard to pick up and play. I found myself being 4-5th but my KD/R is still under 1.00.

You're doing something wrong, the guns are awesome, you complain about the zoom, but it just feels great. Try to get to use it, i will greatly improve your accuracy and will certainly solve the "too much health", if you're not aiming well and not trying to take advantage of the weapon, then you're not playing the game with the good mood and I can understand that you think the game is frustrating.

Spy

My Arms Your Hearse said:
You're so terrible/dumb
2) :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol You never played resistance. If you shake your controller you put the flames out. Wow, you couldn't be any more of a noob
I didn't know this...now I feel like an idiot running around on fire in Deathmatch games.

I haven't played single player on Resistance: Fall of Man, played online for a grand total of about 2 hours then sold the game and I consistently come in 1st place on Resistance 2 deathmatch games. A GAF member can vouch for this (chriszilla). I recently bought Resistance: Fall of Man again (ordered from Newegg yesterday) and plan to complete single player before R2 comes out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Byakuya769 said:
Your criticisms were damn silly in some cases, and unequivocally false in others though...

This. Its one thing to have valid criticisms, another to make uninformed derisory statements.

womfalcs3 said:
I want the R1 controls. Do any of the perset controls resemble them? If not, I need to go into R1 and see which button did what so I can customize the controls in R2.

R1 MP was so much fun.

EDIT: I love the GUI. Give props for those who designed it. Feels nice.

You can't customize the controls to match Resistance 1 because Insomniac felt the need to add the unnecessary step of using L1 to aim your gun like in COD4. Which in turn made the controls cumbersome and made the aiming feel like shit. Thanks Insomniac.

DunpealD

Played 4-5 hours Coop last night.

First thing we tried was playing offline coop which didn't went too well:

We tried all different kinds of combinations but ended up dead early on(1 objective finished max, before dying) and yes we have played Resistance through twice.
First impression was offline coop to me was that it's kinda broken, maybe I'll give it another shot later on.

After that we played online coop and that went much better.

My current gripe is that the "Bosses" feel like they have too much energy... I joined up with an 8er team and it took around 5 minutes or longer to take one down. Like the others said the boss only stood there barely moving. This gets very bad when we had to gun down 4 bosses, it felt tedious since all we were doing was standing there gunning them down while they stayed in the house doing nearly nothing.

Also probably my worst experience so far was the "King of the hill" mission... it was so damn hard with all people dying over and over again just after getting respawned. I suppose there was some kind of respawn point for the enemies since it felt like there was no end to the stream of chimeras and the Boss at the hill didn't make it any easier, some people even left before finishing it.

So far I really enjoyed online coop which gave me some kinda Serious Sam feeling with the huge amount of enemies flooding our group and the big persistent bosses.

Wolffen

AS far as enemies spawning on people, that is probably the people's fault. There are certain objects that are spawn points (transporters). Don't stand in/on them :p

I'm missing the obvious then. :) My main point of contention in regards to enemy spawns is on the switches you have to hit inside the lumber yard/mill, the ones that are essentially on either side of the two "reactors" you have to destroy. Seemingly within 2 seconds of hitting those switches, the Chimera literally teleport in on top of you. I now know to let someone be a sacrificial lamb and hit the switch while I run off to a safe distance. :D

Wolffen said:
I'm missing the obvious then. :) My main point of contention in regards to enemy spawns is on the switches you have to hit inside the lumber yard/mill, the ones that are essentially on either side of the two "reactors" you have to destroy. Seemingly within 2 seconds of hitting those switches, the Chimera literally teleport in on top of you. I now know to let someone be a sacrificial lamb and hit the switch while I run off to a safe distance. :D
They have limited spawn times. People just are impatient. Once you kill all the Chimera from the first spawn next wave teleports right after but this only happens 3 times.

What usually happens though is that one Chimera usually wonders off and people go for the switch, then someone finds a lonely Chimera and decides to kill him. Big mistake.

BeeDog

If IG fixes the bullet-sponge bosses and the oftentimes braindead AI (especially getting stuck in the terrain), the co-op mode might become as addictive as crack.

(not that I believe I'll be heard, but anyway)
What would other people think of bosses having much less hitpoints, but are much faster and deal out greater splash damage? They also shouldn't be confused in who to target, and should try to attack one player until he's dead (or have some kind of "mathematical" switch to aim at the largest grouping of players, dishing out considerable area of effect damage).

B33

Banned
Quite a fun game. Public Beta is an improvement over the Private Beta.

However, the game still needs tweaks and what not to achieve that fine polish and finished feeling.

I think this whole concept of pre-ordering to get into public beta's is a fucking joke. I want to TRY the game before I pre-order it. Plus I never pre-order games. mehhh

I just wish I could try the game to give some feedback.

Wolffen said:

YOu have to hit the switches at the same time (or they spawn). Also, if you kill ALL the enemies, they respawn. So kill everything but one little grunt then have two people coordinate hitting the switches.

So, yea, YOUR fault :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
InterMoniker said:
I think this whole concept of pre-ordering to get into public beta's is a fucking joke. I want to TRY the game before I pre-order it. Plus I never pre-order games. mehhh

You can cancel a preorder.

BeeDog said:
If IG fixes the bullet-sponge bosses and the oftentimes braindead AI (especially getting stuck in the terrain), the co-op mode might become as addictive as crack.

(not that I believe I'll be heard, but anyway)
What would other people think of bosses having much less hitpoints, but are much faster and deal out greater splash damage? They also shouldn't be confused in who to target, and should try to attack one player until he's dead (or have some kind of "mathematical" switch to aim at the largest grouping of players, dishing out considerable area of effect damage).

I would agree with your suggestions, except keep their hitpoints where they are or increase them. But yea... they definitely need to hit way faster and way harder (possibly increase the number of targets they can attack at once as well). And not just stand there half the time. I don't even think Stalkers attack (though people still kill themselves by running into the legs).

The problem with co-op really, is that it is either incredibly easy or incredibly impossible. Either you have a good team setup and people who know how to play (and it's a breeze), or you can't do anything. Both cases are pretty unsatisfying. At least on the level available.

InterMoniker said:

I don't think the point of the beta is for you to demo the game and see if you like it. Even if that might be something that happens for people who get in, I don't think that's priority #1. Pre-orders make sure fans of the series get in since they're going to want the game day #1 regardless.

Union Carbine said:
I thought I read earlier in the thread that this doesn't work...

I've only done it a few times, but that's what worked for me! The game even tells you they need to be hit at the same time.

...though I have solo'd that level as a Medic (I guess I killed enough waves eventually).

graphics are indeed better than the first game but it is very obvious that they have been heavily toned down for multi...I expect single player to look stunning (which it does from footage)

nelsonroyale said:
graphics are indeed better than the first game but it is very obvious that they have been heavily toned down for multi...I expect single player to look stunning (which it does from footage)

I think most sane people realize that 30v30 takes its toll. Though really, from what I've seen (at least in TDM), 60 people is WAAAAAY too many :p It's just insane (not necessarily in a good way).

I've only done it a few times, but that's what worked for me! The game even tells you they need to be hit at the same time.
The switches? Yeah. I'm talking about the leave-one-chimera-alive strategy. I'm hearing mixed things: some people say it works, others that it doesn't.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dhelfric said:
How is it possible to solo as medic?
Fully possible. Soloed the coop campaign as a medic.

When you deal damage to the enemy, you gain health.

BeeDog

nelsonroyale said:

The MP is mediocre graphically when stuff isn't happening, but you really start to appreciate the technology when you bump up the player count.

Explosions everywhere, ragdolls everywhere, highly detailed character models everywhere, decent textures on objects, amazing water that reacts and refracts, etc. And not once does the framerate dip noticeably. Also, the lag is nonexistent, amazing net code right here.

Too bad the Orick map looks like ass because of an unappealing style and bad layout (seriously, looks like houses and shit have been slapped together randomly... there's a house with some cinema-ish rows of chairs in it, and nothing else :lol no screen or whatever to indicate a cinema).

JB1981

Katana_Strikes said:

First went straight into competitive. It was the San Fran level. First thing that hits you is well... it looks a bit ugly. Trying to get to grips with the game again took a little practice but the gameplay felt rather slow. Had a couple of games but I was left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and was thinking my pre-order wasn't going to be safe after that.

However, upon hitting co-op mode I was blown away. Graphically far better and it looked really nice here. And it's so much fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my first game here and folks were communicating really well and it was a total blast. I was the medic and it great to be that support character as well as being able to blast the bad guys. Haven't played the other roles but medic was a great start. I love the leveling up and XP you get too. Great addition.

So yeah after that I'm really looking forward to the final game, particualy story and co-op modes. I'm going to go back and try competitive again and get on a few other maps and hopefully enjoy it more, but that was by far the weakest part for me.

I think the San Fran map takes the cake for ugliest lighting in any videogame ever.

I am actually very much considering not buying this game. Not this fall, at least.

They've got to fix grenades. By that I mean 90% of the time I get killed by them there is no grenade symbol. It just explodes without me ever knowing it was there. Is this intentional? They also seem to be instantaneously exploding at times.

Nafai1123

Banned
JB1981 said:
I think the San Fran map takes the cake for ugliest lighting in any videogame ever.

I am actually very much considering not buying this game. Not this fall, at least.

You take the cake for biggest generalization ever, congrats.

Top Bottom