• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Somnia said:
So for those of you who did not like the R2 commercial I must say that it is working. Today at work I had a guy and his girlfriend come in and ask me about a game he saw on tv but he couldnt think of the name and started trying to explain it. He remembered the line about blocking out the sun because of 300 and it clicked it was R2. He asked me about the game,etc. and I told him all about it. He ended up buying a 80gb ps3, an extra dual shock, resistance 1, uncharted, fully paid off R2 and LBP (for his girlfriend he said after I showed them videos and talked to him about it).

I also had 2 other people talk to me today about it wondering what it was. So the ad is definantly working...as is the Motorstorm 2 ad because we had a couple pre-orders on it today too from people who saw the commercial. So it looks like Sony finally advertising shit might work...who woulda thought :lol

Good shit.

The R2/MS2 ads were awesome. Very creative, and they catch your attention for sure.

Still haven't seen an amazing LBP ad though :(

Somnia said:
Just a pre-order =( we won't have it in till after 5pm on Monday.

The guy has been meaning to upgrade to a ps3 soon anyways so this just kinda tilted him into getting it sooner. He didn't plan to buy as much as he did though, but I talked him into Uncharted, LBP and going somewhere else online to get an HDMI cable (dont tell my boss!) :lol

Glad to see a guy like yourself selling people this stuff and you actually know what you're talking about.

Ploid 3.0

Somnia said:
Just a pre-order =( we won't have it in till after 5pm on Monday.

The guy has been meaning to upgrade to a ps3 soon anyways so this just kinda tilted him into getting it sooner. He didn't plan to buy as much as he did though, but I talked him into Uncharted, LBP and going somewhere else online to get an HDMI cable (dont tell my boss!) :lol

Somehow you will come into winning/obtaining $2,000,000 for such a good deed.

Gibb

Ok.. played some co-op last night AT LONG LAST.. hectic shit..

dumb or ignorant people not knowing what they are doing: I'm a R2 rookie too, but if I choose MEDIC, I know I should HEAL, and if I fail, I know I should at least try to REVIVE ffs!

I wanted to try soldier first, but the lack of support (medics and spec ops) forced me to constantly switch between medic & spec op.. maybe some other time I guess =)

anyway, it took me some time to figure out the alt-fire/heal thing, so I want to know if there is some info on some site that explains a bit how to do co-op? what does ammo do besides restocking nades and ammo? how can a medic heal himself? etc...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gibb said:
how can a medic heal himself? etc...
Medics the best choice if you want to go for pro, it's really awesome. You heal yourself by dealing damage to the enemies. That way you also get alternative-shot-ammo (the one that heals your friends too) so if you do a good job your team is pretty much impossible to kill (unless they get carried away with the aggroing).

Medic's (from a beta perspective) the only class that can solo the coop campaign too so that's pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
The Splicer seems a bit broken on Chicago (Subway). Often you'll find the entire opposing team with splicers, sitting off to the side on the top level. In the narrow corridors the blades pretty much become an all-encompassing heat-seeking missile. It's soooo annoying. And I swear it seems as if they're coming through the walls on occasion. Anyway, I just find it really cheap :lol

Sounds grim :lol

Hasn't happened in my experience though. In fact I've rarely seen anyone use the splicer in Chicago, including myself, even though it's my fave weapon. Bullseye is good for that map.

BeeDog

I seem to have missed the R2 ad (the MS2 was fantastic though). Anyone got a good quality link for me?

EDIT: nevermind, if it's that "Rise, stand, resist" one I've seen it. Pretty good.

JardeL

Yes downloaded R2B & 1.02 patch and played my first game as a medic , finally ...

PSN : JardeLUSA

But I have a huge problem ; I can't get any sound ?.. No sound at all , no music no SFX no ingame :/ ... I have a decoder connected through optical to PS3 ... Tried other games , no problem , only R2Beta ... Any ideas ?..

-Winnie-

This game is insanely fun. Such a bad time, though, since my exams are in a few weeks. :lol

Just wondering though, does co-op have a fully structured campaign with a story, or is it just random missions?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Servers are done damn

also just out of curiosity. some matches ive noticed that the physics, animations and AI are impressive, yet some matched ive played recently look more simplified?. wondering if it has something to do with lag, or maybe they down tone certain things to accommodate for all the players. oh well still amazing regardless!.

Somnia

bcn-ron said:
Uh-oh. I sense a "WTF do you mean it's not supposed to play PS2 games" conversation coming to you in the near future.

I explained that to him before he bought the system...so I'm covered!

Gibb

TEH-CJ said:
Servers are done damn

also just out of curiosity. some matches ive noticed that the physics, animations and AI are impressive, yet some matched ive played recently look more simplified?. wondering if it has something to do with lag, or maybe they down tone certain things to accommodate for all the players. oh well still amazing regardless!.

down? new patch? yesterday it downloaded v1.02 before it started.

The Resistance 2 ads remind me of the halo 3 ad mixed with the ps1 commercials.

Speaking of the Halo 3 ads talk about a marketing company creating a cooler universe than the game
ever ended up being. Whoever Microsoft used for that game deserves some serious praise I expected
the story to be the most epic shite ever because of those commercials...but alas

Seiken said:
Off Topic but this is definitely Sonys best ad in PS history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHZ2xaigwk

Yeah I love that ad.

NIN90

Finally got into a really good 8 player coop only to get my game locked up.
Happens quite a lot with this beta.

On an unrelated note: Please fix the Spec Op. His throws are too short and there should be a sound when u pick up the ammo. Sometimes when I played Soldier I didn't even know that my ammo got replenished.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Good gravy. Played Coop this morning (Thanks for joining bruce! w00t) Some pretty awesome times were being had. Then we got booted for some reason.

Also, I'm noticing the spawn points can be pretty crappy sometimes. Like it will throw you in the middle of like 20 chimera for some reason even though thats not anywhere near where you died. And then you get gangbanged by hybrids just going to town on your skull. Lets at least spawn in 5m from the nearest chimera? Or where you died?

El-Suave

Don't know if that has been posted here already, but apparently Sony won't be releasing the game in Japan and Germany. According to Austrian online shop gameware.at where some Germans get these "forbidden" games if they need a German language version.

NIN90

El-Suave said:
Don't know if that has been posted here already, but apparently Sony won't be releasing the game in Japan and Germany. According to Austrian online shop gameware.at where some Germans get these "forbidden" games if they need a German language version.

Surprise, surprise!

Paznos

El-Suave said:
I thought that was Gears of War 2 not Resistance 2....

Goldrusher

Resistance 2 wil be released in Germany just fine. Ages 14 and up.

13z2wps.jpg

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001F513XW/

(publishers should really consider designing a special German box art, with space for the enormous rating)

El-Suave

Evazan said:
Good gravy. Played Coop this morning (Thanks for joining bruce! w00t) Some pretty awesome times were being had. Then we got booted for some reason.

Also, I'm noticing the spawn points can be pretty crappy sometimes. Like it will throw you in the middle of like 20 chimera for some reason even though thats not anywhere near where you died. And then you get gangbanged by hybrids just going to town on your skull. Lets at least spawn in 5m from the nearest chimera? Or where you died?

That was awesome!
D-Link rest in peace.

M3Freak

Banned
played some more DM last night. more impressions (more solidified impressions, anyway):

- grenade throwing still sucks in competitive. I simply cannot throw a grenade as far or as accurately as I could in RFoM, or even in R2's co-op mode. I hate them now because they are a liability.
- it definitely takes longer to drop a person than it did in RFoM. I played almost 4500 rounds of RFoM - there is no question it's a longer kill in R2.
- my aim is massively decreased because of the massive reticule. I need a smaller, compact reticule for my eyes to focus on something when shooting. For me, the big reticule "disappears" when I'm firing, and then I end up flailing wildly because it becomes very difficult to tell if my aim is good.
- because of the stupid reticule, the ironsight is still the best way to guarantee a quick, accurate kill. A complete departure from RFoM. Relying on the ironsight means a slow game, which means it's not what I expected of the second game in the Resistance series.
- maybe I have to increase the sensitivity, but turning and shooting takes FOREVER. If I'm getting shot in the back, it's over - I will not survive. In RFoM, if you were fast enough, you could turn around and take out the guy shooting you.

Things I'm liking:

- the vents now indicate in which direction you're going to be launched. The steam/smoke is a cleverly integrated way to show the player where he'll/she'll be taken.
- graphics are fantastic. lighting, shadows, aliasing, colours, models, everything...looks awesome
- love the sound. it's making very good use of my HT (it's only DD/DTS 5.1, but it still sounds great).

Spy

M3Freak said:
played some DM last night. more impressions:

- grenade throwing still sucks in competitive. I simply cannot throw a grenade as far or as accurately as I could in RFoM, or even in R2's co-op mode. I hate them now because their a liability.
- it definitely takes longer to drop a person than it did in RFoM. I played almost 4500 rounds of RFoM - there is no question it's a longer kill in R2.
- my aim is massively decreased because of the massive reticule. I need a smaller, compact reticule for my eyes to focus on something when shooting. For me, the big reticule "disappears" when I'm firing, and then I end up flailing wildly because it becomes very difficult to tell if my aim is good.
- because of the stupid reticule, the ironsight is still the best way to guarantee a quick, accurate kill. A complete departure from RFoM. Relying on the ironsight means a slow game, which means it's not what I expected of the second game in the Resistance series.
- maybe I have to increase the sensitivity, but turning and shooting takes FOREVER. If I'm getting shot in the back, it's over - I will not survive. In RFoM, if you were fast enough, you could turn around and take out the guy shooting you.

Things I'm liking:

- the vents now indicate in which direction you're going to be launched. The steam/smoke is a cleverly integrated way to show the player where he'll/she'll be taken.
- graphics are fantastic. lighting, shadows, aliasing, colours, models, everything...looks awesome
- love the sound. it's making very good use of my HT (it's only DD/DTS 5.1, but it still sounds great).
What's your PSN ID? I'd like to play you.

AndyD

aka andydumi
M3Freak said:
played some DM last night. more impressions:

- grenade throwing still sucks in competitive. I simply cannot throw a grenade as far or as accurately as I could in RFoM, or even in R2's co-op mode. I hate them now because their a liability.

Things I'm liking:

I agree on everything and especially the bolded part. The made it to where you need to zoom in to be effective. Which is a lot like COD4 but a little like R1.

Kuroyume

Banned
If you still need a beta code make sure to sign up for Gametrailers' newsletter. It seems that they're going to distribute some codes soon judging from js' message at the end of this video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41817.html

I'm not sure when exactly the next one is coming out, but it may come out today since they seem to come out on Thursdays. I guess they'll likely handle the distribution the same way they handled the LBP codes:

http://www.gametrailers.com/newsletter/communityNewsletter10-2-08.html

You will probably have to PM an account at their site for the code.

glow

Banned
What the hell is this? Gametrailers is giving out codes yet people like me who actually paid money to get the Qore episode still haven't gotten theirs? Not cool.

Spy

glow said:
What the hell is this? Gametrailers is giving out codes yet people like me who actually paid money to get the Qore episode still haven't gotten theirs? Not cool.
Are you an annual Qore subscriber? I got my Qore invite last week.

patsu

jett said:
I find the co-op missions in the R2 beta to be insanely difficult, to the point of not being fun at all, to be honest..

Learn the terrain and attack patterns. You can't play it like a TDM. The Chimeran is strong.

I helped the entire team complete a co-op mission yesterday by pre-empting the Chimeran's waves. Had to hide in the shack at the foothills when everyone else was wiped out 2-3 times. We eventually regrouped and cleared the hilltop. :)

You may need to use your special ability (e.g., invisibility) when situation is desparate.

glow

Banned
Spy said:
Are you an annual Qore subscriber? I got my Qore invite last week.

Nope, just bought the one episode. I'm guessing I'll get the code today (hopefully) since Thurs is the magical day for mass downloading in the PS store. I foresee an all-night download for this one, my d/l speed is always extremely slow during on the nights of PS store updates. :(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Alright one thing that needs to change for sure is Team killing. It's terrible I had 5 teammates last night who were just going around killing eachother.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How long has the beta MyResistance site been up? It's AWESOME. It autotracks all your stats, makes and makes pie charts the divide up the time that you've been playing. The co-op stats are really in depth for the individual classes. Check it out:
http://beta.myresistance.net

AndresON777

shooting blanks
msdstc said:
Alright one thing that needs to change for sure is Team killing. It's terrible I had 5 teammates last night who were just going around killing eachother.

God I hate those kind of people. Anyways looking forward to the game on election day, hopefully voting wont take too long I'm off that day.

Goldrusher

bcn-ron said:
Humor post?
That's 18 and up. Not cleared for younglings at all. The seal references paragraph 14 of the relevant body of law.
No humor post. I always thought the red one meant 18+, but then I saw the 14 and well... :lol

Thanks for the info !

Top Bottom